" Vote Rigging " Sunday Times report & comments ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Re: " Vote Rigging " Sunday Times report & comments ...

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:32 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Yes. moving the goalposts is indeed amusing. Which is why I find it funny that Farage and his sort who campaigned for a soft brexit in order to win the referendum are now saying that the only acceptable Brexit is a no deal brexit.
Most of them are saying No Deal should be an option if needed and they're right.

However, the vote options were remain or leave, you know that.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:46 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Most of them are saying No Deal should be an option if needed and they're right.

However, the vote options were remain or leave, you know that.
And you know that the only reason they won their razor thin majority is because they convinced more than 1.7% of voters that there wouldn't be a no deal Brexit. Deliver on what was campaigned for, and nothing else. Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit. If that can't be done then have another referendum, No Deal or Remain.
This user liked this post: JohnMcGreal

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:24 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:And you know that the only reason they won their razor thin majority is because they convinced more than 1.7% of voters that there wouldn't be a no deal Brexit. Deliver on what was campaigned for, and nothing else. Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit. If that can't be done then have another referendum, No Deal or Remain.
Nope, I don't know if that's how they won, you're making an assumption though because it probably makes you feel better believing it.

Have fun.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:47 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nope, I don't know if that's how they won, you're making an assumption though because it probably makes you feel better believing it.

Have fun.

No, i'm making the assumption because it is quite ******* clearly true.

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:55 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:No, i'm making the assumption because it is quite ******* clearly true.
You really do get your knickers in a twist over Brexit and Trump don’t you?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:09 am

MG70 wrote:You really do get your knickers in a twist over Brexit and Trump don’t you?
No more than you over me.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:15 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nope, I don't know if that's how they won, you're making an assumption though because it probably makes you feel better believing it.

Have fun.

This is what willful ignorance looks like.

You know exactly how the leave campaigns sold leave to the public, and it wasn't on leaving without a deal.

What we're seeing is a classic case of bait-and-switch.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:46 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:This is what willful ignorance looks like.

You know exactly how the leave campaigns sold leave to the public, and it wasn't on leaving without a deal.

What we're seeing is a classic case of bait-and-switch.
Both sides told porkies.

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:01 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:No more than you over me.
Haha, I ignore you as much as I can. But you’re just a broken record.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:17 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:And you know that the only reason they won their razor thin majority is because they convinced more than 1.7% of voters that there wouldn't be a no deal Brexit. Deliver on what was campaigned for, and nothing else. Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit. If that can't be done then have another referendum, No Deal or Remain.
Not sure how many times we have established that this is a lie, but it must be into double figures

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:32 pm

Damo wrote:Not sure how many times we have established that this is a lie, but it must be into double figures
If you think it’s a lie you must’ve been asleep for the whole campaign!

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:No, i'm making the assumption because it is quite ******* clearly true.
Dry you're eyes, love!

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:13 pm

martin_p wrote:If you think it’s a lie you must’ve been asleep for the whole campaign!
It wouldn't matter if either of us slept all the way through it, because, fortunately for me, and you, it has all been documented. Here is a short video of all of the prominent leavers and remainers telling us what leaving meant.

https://youtu.be/9fDn0MvcHQ4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(I'm fairly sure you have seen, and ignored this previously. And I'm quite sure you will again)
This user liked this post: RingoMcCartney

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:18 pm

Damo wrote:It wouldn't matter if either of us slept all the way through it, because, fortunately for me, and you, it has all been documented. Here is a short video of all of the prominent leavers and remainers telling us what leaving meant.

(I'm fairly sure you have seen, and ignored this previously. And I'm quite sure you will again)
Posted by ‘Channel Brexit’? You need to get out of your echo chamber.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:22 pm

martin_p wrote:Posted by ‘Channel Brexit’? You need to get out of your echo chamber.
Knew you would swerve that one.
I'll keep posting it though everytime this lie is repeated
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney burnleymik

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Damo wrote:Knew you would swerve that one.
I'll keep posting it though everytime this lie is repeated
I’m not swerving anything. Do you genuinely believe you’ll get a full picture from ‘Channel Brexit’ or might it be the video shows only the bits of the campaign to support a specific argument?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:31 pm

martin_p wrote:I’m not swerving anything. Do you genuinely believe you’ll get a full picture from ‘Channel Brexit’ or might it be the video shows only the bits of the campaign to support a specific argument?
Do you genuinely believe we'd get a full picture from a pro remain channel?

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matthew- ... 91462.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
These 2 users liked this post: RingoMcCartney Damo

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:33 pm

martin_p wrote:I’m not swerving anything. Do you genuinely believe you’ll get a full picture from ‘Channel Brexit’ or might it be the video shows only the bits of the campaign to support a specific argument?
It's to rebut a specific argument. If the specific argument is that nobody said we would have to leave the single market; it is 100% successfully reubutted by showing clips of loads of prominent politicians on both sides saying that we would leave the single market.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:36 pm

It's a video of people saying leave means leaving the single market and customs union.
It's completely irrelevant who made the video.
(I know you know that, hence the swerve)

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Marty claims something wasn't ever said.

Marty is presented with proof it was.

Marty places head in sand.........
This user liked this post: Damo

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:39 pm

martin_p wrote:Posted by ‘Channel Brexit’? You need to get out of your echo chamber.
:lol:

Somebody needs to retract head from sand.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I think this what you call playing the man, not the ball.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:06 pm

mdd2 wrote:IMO the biggest mistake of the Cameron coalition from 2010 was scrapping Labour's plans for all to have identity cards.
I think it was the best thing Cameron did (and I'm not a Tory). If you're going to make people have ID cards (which I don't agree with) at least don't make them have to PAY for them as well, the amount they were talking about it costing people made it like another form of taxation, which is why I was surprised when the Tories did scrap the idea because they love indirect taxation as it allows them to keep income tax down which keeps up the illusion of them being the party of low taxation, which of course they are not (unless you are rich).

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:07 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Do you genuinely believe we'd get a full picture from a pro remain channel?

https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matthew- ... 91462.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No of course I don’t. You need to find someone presenting an independent view or take the views from both side to get a complete picture. But presenting a pro Brexit video as some sort of ‘proof’ that those claiming the Leave campaign was pushing a message of an ‘easy deal can be done’ is utter nonsense.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:10 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Marty claims something wasn't ever said.

Marty places head in sand.........
I never claimed anything was never said, just about everything was by someone or other. What I am claiming is that the headline message from the Leave campaign was that we’d get a good deal fast from the EU and that anyone who pointed out that we wouldn’t get a deal was badged as a part of ‘project fear’.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:16 pm

dsr wrote:It's to rebut a specific argument. If the specific argument is that nobody said we would have to leave the single market; it is 100% successfully reubutted by showing clips of loads of prominent politicians on both sides saying that we would leave the single market.
It wasn’t to rebut that specific argument. It was to rebut the claim that Leave had campaigned specifically for a Brexit with a deal beneficial to Britain. So thanks for that intervention, it’s shown the video to be a complete red herring.
Last edited by martin_p on Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:18 pm

And for context here was the original claim Damo was trying to claim was a lie by linking a video about the single market.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:29 pm

Damo wrote:It wouldn't matter if either of us slept all the way through it, because, fortunately for me, and you, it has all been documented. Here is a short video of all of the prominent leavers and remainers telling us what leaving meant.

Leaving the single market is a long way from a No Deal Brexit though so it isn't particularly relevant. If you have another video of multiple people saying that we will sever the ties with the EU and leave without a deal that would be relevant to what's being discussed.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:58 pm

martin_p wrote:No of course I don’t. You need to find someone presenting an independent view or take the views from both side to get a complete picture. But presenting a pro Brexit video as some sort of ‘proof’ that those claiming the Leave campaign was pushing a message of an ‘easy deal can be done’ is utter nonsense.
Why are you swerving again martin?
That video was presented in response to turtles claim that people didnt know that leave meant a hard brexit (as stated in the quoted comment)
The video proved otherwise. Not sure why you are trying to change the argument (I know why really)

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:00 pm

Damo wrote:Why are you swerving again martin?
That video was presented in response to turtles claim that people didnt know that leave meant a hard brexit (as stated in the quoted comment)
The video proved otherwise. Not sure why you are trying to change the argument (I know why really)
Well the quote was no deal Brexit, not hard Brexit.

Leaving the single market is not the definition of a hard Brexit. The Labour proposal has us part of a customs union but leaving the single market and isn’t a no deal Brexit. May’s deal had us leaving the single market but by definition isn’t a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

You scored a massive o.g I’m afraid Damo.

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm

aggi wrote:Leaving the single market is a long way from a No Deal Brexit though so it isn't particularly relevant. If you have another video of multiple people saying that we will sever the ties with the EU and leave without a deal that would be relevant to what's being discussed.
I posted in response to the inference that nobody voted for a hard brexit.
As for no deal... I'm sure even the thickest of brexiteers, understands that a negotiation will result in one of two outcomes. No deal being one of them

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:08 pm

martin_p wrote:Well the quote was no deal Brexit, not hard Brexit.

Leaving the single market is not the definition of a hard Brexit. The Labour proposal has us part of a customs union but leaving the single market and isn’t a no deal Brexit. May’s deal had us leaving the single market but by definition isn’t a ‘no deal’ Brexit.

You scored a massive o.g I’m afraid Damo.
Leaving the single market and customs union is not the definition of a hard brexit?
Really?
What's your definition of a hard Brexit martin?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:12 pm

Damo wrote:Leaving the single market and customs union is not the definition of a hard brexit
Where did I say that? I said leaving the single market doesn’t constitute a hard Brexit.

Besides, as I said Turtles initial post was that people voted Leave with the expectation of a deal, nothing to do with hard Brexit.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:14 pm

Damo wrote:I posted in response to the inference that nobody voted for a hard brexit.
As for no deal... I'm sure even the thickest of brexiteers, understands that a negotiation will result in one of two outcomes. No deal being one of them
From the context ... they convinced more than 1.7% of voters that there wouldn't be a no deal Brexit ... Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit It seems reasonably clear that your suggested Hard Brexit is being equated to a No Deal Brexit (i.e. Not Remain, Not No Deal is soft).

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:34 pm

martin_p wrote:Where did I say that? I said leaving the single market doesn’t constitute a hard Brexit.

Besides, as I said Turtles initial post was that people voted Leave with the expectation of a deal, nothing to do with hard Brexit.
I'll help you pal

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:53 pm

You can help all you want, but your video (one sided as it is) doesn’t support either of the things you want it to. Leaving the single market doesn’t equate to either a hard Brexit or a no deal Brexit.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4242 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Damo’s been displaying his mastery of the English language again, I see.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Damo wrote:I posted in response to the inference that nobody voted for a hard brexit.
By the way, how you read Turtles post as implying that no one voted for a hard Brexit is completely mystifying! That Mensa test can’t have included verbal reasoning.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

Damo

Post by Damo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:29 pm

martin_p wrote:By the way, how you read Turtles post as implying that no one voted for a hard Brexit is completely mystifying! That Mensa test can’t have included verbal reasoning.
Turtle said
"Deliver on what was campaigned for, and nothing else. Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit."
And I posted a video of prominent remainers and leavers stating that leaving means leaving the single market and customs union.
I'm not sure why that may confuse you, given that you just admitted, leaving the single market and customs union constitutes a hard brexit.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2561 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:51 pm

Damo wrote:Turtle said
"Deliver on what was campaigned for, and nothing else. Not Remain. Not no deal. A soft Brexit."
And I posted a video of prominent remainers and leavers stating that leaving means leaving the single market and customs union.
I'm not sure why that may confuse you, given that you just admitted, leaving the single market and customs union constitutes a hard brexit.
When in that video does anyone mention not being part of a customs union?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:11 pm

Damo wrote:Turtle said
I haven’t made a comment on what hard Brexit is, just what it isn’t. And I suggest you actually watch the video you posted, it doesn’t mention a customs union once.

I’m still perplexed at how you think Turtle implied that no one voted for a hard Brexit.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:35 pm

martin_p wrote:I haven’t made a comment on what hard Brexit is, just what it isn’t. And I suggest you actually watch the video you posted, it doesn’t mention a customs union once.

I’m still perplexed at how you think Turtle implied that no one voted for a hard Brexit.
If Turtle states that people voted for a soft brexit then that's what he is implying isn't it?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:40 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:If Turtle states that people voted for a soft brexit then that's what he is implying isn't it?
Using that logic he’s also implying no one voted remain!

Besides, he didn’t say people voted for a soft Brexit.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:43 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:If Turtle states that people voted for a soft brexit then that's what he is implying isn't it?
That's what was campaigned for therefore that's what was voted for. The same way you lot have been using manifestos as evidence that people voted for referendum-honouring parties at the last election.

Why is it OK for you guys to base what was voted for on what was campaigned for, but not OK for the rest of us when we apply that exact same, reasonable, principle to the EU referendum?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:That's what was campaigned for therefore that's what was voted for. The same way you lot have been using manifestos as evidence that people voted for referendum-honouring parties at the last election.

Why is it OK for you guys to base what was voted for on what was campaigned for, but not OK for the rest of us when we apply that exact same, reasonable, principle to the EU referendum?
You guys?
Who are you lumping me in with?
I've said it several times now, in or out, not much will change for me so it's neither here nor there tbh.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:56 pm

martin_p wrote:Using that logic he’s also implying no one voted remain!

Besides, he didn’t say people voted for a soft Brexit.
He's stated a soft brexit was campaigned for, so the next step is implying people voted for a soft brexit.

That's when he gets his knickers in a twist and starts saying we should have another referendum - no deal or remain :lol:

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:47 am

martin_p wrote:I never claimed anything was never said, just about everything was by someone or other. What I am claiming is that the headline message from the Leave campaign was that we’d get a good deal fast from the EU and that anyone who pointed out that we wouldn’t get a deal was badged as a part of ‘project fear’.
I've read the thread since my original post. I owe you an apology. This would be a more fair assessment of your reaction.

Marty claims something wasn't ever said.

Marty whines about video bias, being a red herring, and out of context.

Marty gets increasingly frustrated and claims other posters had scored a massive own goal. Marty meets himself coming back

Then Marty finally places head in sand.........

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:09 am

I'm pretty sure this was the thread where people were mocking me for not wanting our government to have access to everyone's biometric data due to the chances they'll misuse it.

Well...

Sproggy
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:13 am

Surely these are the greatest of days for remainers? You becried Boris and his chums "running away" after the leave vote. Well now they're back...precisely what you wanted. Enjoy it.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:39 am

I'm sure they will. Johnson is going to make Britain great again, don't you know.
Anf if he doesn't and we face another generation of austerity and declining standards, the people and areas who suffer most will probably deserve it.
Fingers crossed !