Car Tracking Devices and SIMs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Car Tracking Devices and SIMs

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:03 pm

Would anyone on the forum have any knowledge or experience of installing and using vehicle tracking devices with mobile SIMs.

I have installed a Traccar (https://www.traccar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) server on Amazon Web Services (free linux server) and I have got that working to track my phone using the phone client, but my real goal is to install a tracking device into my car (and the other half's car too) and be able to find it if it gets stolen.

I have been recommended this (https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/queclin ... oducttabs1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) as a device and I wanted to know if attaching this directly to my battery would drain it enough to cause me problems starting the car etc.

I have also been recommended this SIM (https://www.globalm2msim.com/product/m2 ... -sim-card/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) - but if there are any mobile SIM experts here, let me know whats best - no calls no text, maximum of 100MB/month data (so I understand!).

If anyone knows of any better solutions, feel free to let me know, thanks all

Rick

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6893 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Re: Car Tracking Devices and SIMs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:31 pm

If it's your wife that you're worried about I would suggest spending a little more and hiring a Private Investigator.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If it's your wife that you're worried about I would suggest spending a little more and hiring a Private Investigator.
I'm not married rileybobs (I was, and I would have used this for my ex - she was a player indeed...), but my other half has recently purchased a desirable car for theft, and this is one of the security options that she wants me to install for her.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:38 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If it's your wife that you're worried about I would suggest spending a little more and hiring a Private Investigator.

Haha, that was my initial thought!

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:04 pm

PaintYorkClaretnBlue wrote:Haha, that was my initial thought!
For anyone interested - the Android client for the server I have built can be hidden from the user and used to track a mobile phone, so it is possible... but I am sorry to disappoint, it really is just the car that we need to track... and possibly our 9 year old who is on the Autistic Spectrum when he changes school soon - but we need to find the appropriate device for him.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:07 pm

Car thieves know exactly where to look for the trackers.

Either put them in a garage out of sight or buy a high volt impact wrench and just take the back wheels off every night and replace in the morning. Would only take seconds.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:26 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Car thieves know exactly where to look for the trackers.

Either put them in a garage out of sight or buy a high volt impact wrench and just take the back wheels off every night and replace in the morning. Would only take seconds.
Not sure if that's helpful or not, but thanks for your insight.

Couple of questions though, if car thieves know where to look for trackers why is there a large industry fitting trackers to vehicles? and do they know where every tracker will be installed, i.e. if I choose an obscure place in the engine compartment that is not "standard" will that not suffice? By the time they have the car away and are driving it we will know and have alerted the police in under a minute, and the ability to track the car immediately surely would be beneficial. Even if they did find the tracker and remove it, I would have a history of the locations they visit etc so it's not completely pointless. I dont think car thieves would try and find a tracking device whilst attempting to steal the car, that would be done when they go to strip it down or abandon it after whatever it is that they wanted the car for (joyride etc).

I have already relocated the OBD port and replaced it with a dummy port that will appear to work apart from start the car, and we have considered a visual deterrent such as a disklok (although these are almost pointless as I have seen them removed in 15 seconds with a portable angle grinder).

Your suggestion about a garage is no help as we dont have one; and removing the wheels every night wouldn't work in reality, but thanks again anyway.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Cars being nicked left right and centre these days. Can't have anything.

But would you really want your stolen car back? Just get some GAP insurance and hope it never gets found.

Bit of luck and you'll get your money back every couple of years, beats paying for a new one!

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm

I had considered using an old IPhone and the find my iPhone app, just install a 12v plug in say a door and tape the in a bag and make sure it does not bounce about. You can have upto 6 devices on your iPhone account.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:04 pm

tarkys_ears wrote:Cars being nicked left right and centre these days. Can't have anything.
yep, I know - hence the consideration fro some security
tarkys_ears wrote:But would you really want your stolen car back? Just get some GAP insurance and hope it never gets found.
GAP insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be, been stung by that before. Paid for GAP insurance, but only covered whilst paying for the finance, as soon as the finance was cleared - even though the term of the GAP was beyond the final payment date they would not pay out - all in the small print - apparently it's to cover the finance deal not the car owner.

As far as getting a stolen car back, that depends on what condition it's in really... Me and my mate the BAT may want to track the scrotes who nicked the car though...

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:19 pm

Rick, maybe it's best to ask the police if they act upon a stolen vehicle signal straight away? They don't seem to bother about burglar alarms going off.

There’s been lots of high end cars stolen in the Padiham/Burnley area which always seem to have appeals on facebook rather than the police following trackers to retrieve.

My mate has lost quite a bit of machinery from sites that had trackers on. They strip it down that fast or can use jammers to stop the signal.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:21 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Rick, maybe it's best to ask the police if they act upon a stolen vehicle signal straight away? They don't seem to bother about burglar alarms going off.

There’s been lots of high end cars stolen in the Padiham/Burnley area which always seem to have appeals on facebook rather than the police following trackers to retrieve.

My mate has lost quite a bit of machinery from sites that had trackers on. They strip it down that fast or can use jammers to stop the signal.
Good advice, thanks. I’ll check with the police and see what they would do.

Also fair comment regarding jamming the signal. The car I’m trying to track is only a Fiesta ST3 - so not necessarily a high end high value motor (as in not a £50k Merc) so the type of thief for this car would be opportunistic scrotes wanting a joyride or drug dealing etc - so not sure they’d be kitted out with a signal jammer. Anyway, it’s the good lady who wants it tracked - it is a little bit of security for minimal cost.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:57 pm

I’d like to install a large metal spike under the driver’s seat that can be remotely activated. :lol:

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:12 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Not sure if that's helpful or not, but thanks for your insight.

Couple of questions though, if car thieves know where to look for trackers why is there a large industry fitting trackers to vehicles? and do they know where every tracker will be installed, i.e. if I choose an obscure place in the engine compartment that is not "standard" will that not suffice? By the time they have the car away and are driving it we will know and have alerted the police in under a minute, and the ability to track the car immediately surely would be beneficial. Even if they did find the tracker and remove it, I would have a history of the locations they visit etc so it's not completely pointless. I dont think car thieves would try and find a tracking device whilst attempting to steal the car, that would be done when they go to strip it down or abandon it after whatever it is that they wanted the car for (joyride etc).

I have already relocated the OBD port and replaced it with a dummy port that will appear to work apart from start the car, and we have considered a visual deterrent such as a disklok (although these are almost pointless as I have seen them removed in 15 seconds with a portable angle grinder).

Your suggestion about a garage is no help as we dont have one; and removing the wheels every night wouldn't work in reality, but thanks again anyway.
I can picture it now.

Your other half: "Rick, have a good day at work? I've just put the tea on, but be quick as it's going cold".
Rick: "Will be right with you, just taking the wheels off the car - you don't need to nip out anywhere until tomorrow, do you?"
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Chuckypad

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:27 pm

Rick, I used to look after the north of the UK for the largest car tracking firm, with out giving away the brand.

Couple of points -
1. You say you want to find your car, if it goes awol. Chances are it'll either be in the middle of being stripped down or on the back of a transporter somewhere. Do you fancy taking on the folks who have it, to get it back? Unfortunately the police have a private agreement with one of the tracking firms and won't prioritise yours, even if you give em a GPS reference.
2. If you fit it yourself, most cars now go into a 'sleep mode' which shuts off the battery power to all but essentials. i.e. the alarm, the locks and the immobiliser. Be aware you don't goose your warranty by hooking something up to the wiring loom. Also, in most cases a drain on the power which the ECU is not expecting can send your car nuts.
3. Finally, most thieves worth their salt now have a GPS / GSM jammer, which can usually be bought off alibaba or even ebay for as little as £20. Renders most Trackers useless.

All of the above points are worth considering even before you realise whether the thieves have ragged the crap out of your motor.

As has been said, get Gap insurance and hope it doesnt come back. If you're still set on getting one, buy the cheapest VHF one you can get.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:41 pm

Well nobody is bloody fitting one on mine!! ;)

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:17 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Good advice, thanks. I’ll check with the police and see what they would do.

Also fair comment regarding jamming the signal. The car I’m trying to track is only a Fiesta ST3 - so not necessarily a high end high value motor (as in not a £50k Merc) so the type of thief for this car would be opportunistic scrotes wanting a joyride or drug dealing etc - so not sure they’d be kitted out with a signal jammer. Anyway, it’s the good lady who wants it tracked - it is a little bit of security for minimal cost.

Not necessarily. They're the most nicked cars in the country!

I don't even know why they bother putting locks and keys on them, it seems anyone can nick one.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:For anyone interested - the Android client for the server I have built can be hidden from the user and used to track a mobile phone, so it is possible... but I am sorry to disappoint, it really is just the car that we need to track... and possibly our 9 year old who is on the Autistic Spectrum when he changes school soon - but we need to find the appropriate device for him.
Not 100% sure with the tracking device but with the 9 year old you could pick up a cheap phone and install the Life360 app.

I have family memebera who use it and it allows you to track a group of people all over the world for free.

We have a family group on it where my nieces, nephew, sisters, mum, dad and my partner are on there so we can always know where someone is if they need any help.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I’ve taken it all on board. I’ll still be using the tracking server, but I’ve decided to use an old android phone with a PAYG sim. Reasons being that I can install the app in a hidden mode, which will track the phone, I leave the phone in the car, in the centre console for example, and if the car gets nicked, they’ll most likely keep the phone - leading me (well the police) right too them. Even if they swap the SIM the app will still be on there tracking back to me...

I think this is a reasonable solution, and the missus is happy with it too.

If I can get gap insurance for the car without having a finance deal (only ever had it with car finance) then I may consider a policy, so if anyone can advise on that I’d appreciate it.

Thanks all
Last edited by Rick_Muller on Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:34 am

This is a bit long but there could be some ideas of use to you. Particularly having the phone triggered by a geo-fence and then the camera live streaming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:This is a bit long but there could be some ideas of use to you. Particularly having the phone triggered by a geo-fence and then the camera live streaming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoxhDk-hwuo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've seen that before - good prank :) geofencing is a good trigger method whilst at home, but not so great if we're out and parked in a public car park - I want a set and forget method of tracking.

Update on GAP insurance - absolutely pointless... especially for me. https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-i ... insurance/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; The car we've got wont depreciate that much in percentage terms as it was already 3 years old - probably lose approx 3rd to half of its value while we own it (4-5 years perhaps), we've checked and our current insurance will replace like for like (obviously with the excess of £250).

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:16 am

Rick_Muller wrote:I've seen that before - good prank :) geofencing is a good trigger method whilst at home, but not so great if we're out and parked in a public car park - I want a set and forget method of tracking.
Fair point re:out and about. Back in 70s if I parked in Manchester I took the rotor arm out every time. Simple but effective then but these organised gangs need a good kicking.

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Ive got to install one next year so I can be tracked.

http://www.asiaone.com/digital/erp-20-w ... -kilometre" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.google.com/amp/www.asiaone. ... etre%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I hope it's not the 0.50 per km as seen on some of the screenshots

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:04 pm

If your car gets stolen you probably don't want it back.

I speak from experience.