Page 1 of 1

Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am
by ClaretTony
Michel Platini has been detained by the French authorities on suspicion of corruption over the 2022 World Cup

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 am
by Funkydrummer
Just one of many pigs at the trough.

Hope he's put away for a long time.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 am
by Buxtonclaret
He is just one of many.
But if he's anything like as much 'dirt' to throw around at the 'Estsblishment' and political spectrum as Septic had, it'll be a slap on the wrist.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 am
by Colburn_Claret
The corruption goes deep and goes back a long way. We are talking millions upon millions of pounds. If it was public money somebody would be jailed for life, but because its 'only' football, it appears to be taken less seriously.
If he is found guilty I hope he goes down for a long, long time. If it also turns out Qatar bribed officials to get the competition, then it needs moving. How can they be allowed to benefit from such action.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:50 am
by Chester Perry
more detail here http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... start=1432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that he was UEFA president at the time covered him a couple of times in the Magic Money tree thread including this interview this month http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... start=1302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 am
by Funkydrummer
Unfortunately cc, that's a big "if" as regards bribery !!!! :o :o

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am
by Cleveleys_claret
Why oh why? Such a gifted footballer. When is enough money enough? How they thought they would ever get away with giving a world cup to Qatar amazes me. Everybody in the world knows that for them to get the world cup over more established countries meant that a form of bribery will have happened

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am
by ClaretTony
Cleveleys_claret wrote:Why oh why? Such a gifted footballer. When is enough money enough? How they thought they would ever get away with giving a world cup to Qatar amazes me. Everybody in the world knows that for them to get the world cup over more established countries meant that a form of bribery will have happened
I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am
by Chester Perry
It is probable that Platini is being used as a way of getting to Nicholas Sarkozy

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 71758.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is well documented that Sarkozy urged Platini to vote for Qatar to get contracts for French business

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am
by SalisburyClaret
Had to believe that the decision to hold the World Cup in Qatar was based on anything other than football

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 am
by Pimlico_Claret
About time there is a threat of non participation starting from the qualifying rounds unless it's moved from Qatar.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am
by ClaretTony
A little bit more on it from David Conn

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... p-to-qatar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am
by DCWat
ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
If the column inches given to Gareth Bail’s unwillingness to leave Madrid are true, it’s just another example of this greed. He’s set up for life if he lived to 500 and should surely be wanting to enjoy the remainder of his privileged career, by playing somewhere else and trying to win things.

Football is slowly but surely, eating itself.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 am
by CoolClaret
The football world should boycott the Qatar World Cup... So corrupt, back handers galore!

Not to mention the human right infringements and basically slavery being used by the Qatar regime.... & our disgraceful Gov sell assets to them *******..

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am
by Dyched
DCWat wrote:If the column inches given to Gareth Bail’s unwillingness to leave Madrid are true, it’s just another example of this greed. He’s set up for life if he lived to 500 and should surely be wanting to enjoy the remainder of his privileged career, by playing somewhere else and trying to win things.

Football is slowly but surely, eating itself.
That’s looking at it from Gareth Bale the footballer point of view.

Look at it from the normal everyday welsh chap point of view. Being paid hundreds of thousands a week for little work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm
by ecc
I'm sure all current UEFA/FIFA employees are striving to ensure this type of thing never happens again.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 pm
by JTClaret
Dyched wrote:That’s looking at it from Gareth Bale the footballer point of view.

Look at it from the normal everyday welsh chap point of view. Being paid hundreds of thousands a week for little work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
That's a great point haha
It's not like he's slumming it - however, another 10 years and his career is over and he will have enough to live anywhere in the world doing whatever he wants. And he could play in any number of beautiful places around the world. You wouldn't want to be the normal everyday Welsh chap who missed the chance to do what many can only dream of doing because who just spent your time doing all you can do in later life.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 pm
by PaintYorkClaretnBlue
ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
I think that it must be status with a lot of the top players, a need to be on the most money at a club, in the league etc.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 pm
by JTClaret
Playing devil's advocate here a little bit, but wasn't one of the things behind the World Cup to extend the reach of football around the world?
Making the likes of Qatar an ideal place for the World Cup.

(Yes, I get the issues eg. the heat, the politics, the culture, the beliefs etc. - But if that's an issue then football is discriminating, even if rightly)

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm
by Funkydrummer
JTClaret wrote:
(Yes, I get the issues eg. the heat, the politics, the culture, the beliefs etc. - But if that's an issue then football is discriminating, even if rightly)
Other than that, what have the Romans ever done for us ? :?:

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm
by Spike
My dear old Dad god bless him told me to never trust the French they don't wash their underwear often enough.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm
by Rileybobs
JTClaret wrote:Playing devil's advocate here a little bit, but wasn't one of the things behind the World Cup to extend the reach of football around the world?
Making the likes of Qatar an ideal place for the World Cup.

(Yes, I get the issues eg. the heat, the politics, the culture, the beliefs etc. - But if that's an issue then football is discriminating, even if rightly)
Taking the world cup to a country with a population of a couple of million, a good number of whom are presumably immigrants there to build the infrastructure for the world cup, is not extending the reach of football around the world. South Africa would fit that criteria, as would Japan/South Korea but Qatar?

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 pm
by Funkydrummer
Rileybobs wrote:Taking the world cup to a country with a population of a couple of million, a good number of whom are presumably immigrants there to build the infrastructure for the world cup, is not extending the reach of football around the world. South Africa would fit that criteria, as would Japan/South Korea but Qatar?
Also Scotland ;)

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm
by Vino blanco
I really hope he gets sent down for some time, though I very much doubt it.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm
by Rileybobs
Will VAR be in use in his trial?

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:35 pm
by aggi
ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
Top level footballers by their nature are very competitive. I imagine that extends out to "winning" the pay negotiations as well. (Plus obviously the more money the player earns the more money the agent earns.)

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm
by KRBFC
ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
Is it genuine greed by the player or the agent? I wonder how much influence the agent has, do the players really set demands and say ''I want X amount'' or is it all handled by the agent? I have absolutely no idea, but I'd be interested to know the true use of a ''super agent'' compared with the standard smaller football agent when negotiating with these top clubs. It does seem half the time, the agents are pushing for moves and I'd guess the agents will be convincing the players it's a good move to profit financially themselves, slimy business.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm
by Clarets4me
Spike wrote:My dear old Dad god bless him told me to never trust the French they don't wash their underwear often enough.
:D :D

" You can say what you like about the French, but they're always there when they need you " ....

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:09 pm
by ClaretTony
aggi wrote:Top level footballers by their nature are very competitive. I imagine that extends out to "winning" the pay negotiations as well. (Plus obviously the more money the player earns the more money the agent earns.)
They are certainly very competitive and that never leaves them

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:46 pm
by Cleveleys_claret
ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
Fully agree with you. One example for me of this is Alan Shearer. Not up on the figures but gave his accountant something like 5 million with the promise of it being worth 20 million after 5 years. When he realised the accountant had lost his money he took him to court to claim it back saying it had been mis sold. I dont mind Shearer but the greed amazes me. Why with all his money does he want more, and expect it for doing nothing?

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm
by ZizkovClaret
Cleveleys_claret wrote:Fully agree with you. One example for me of this is Alan Shearer. Not up on the figures but gave his accountant something like 5 million with the promise of it being worth 20 million after 5 years. When he realised the accountant had lost his money he took him to court to claim it back saying it had been mis sold. I dont mind Shearer but the greed amazes me. Why with all his money does he want more, and expect it for doing nothing?
If it was you and it was 5k being turned into 20k wouldn't you chase it?

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 pm
by Cleveleys_claret
That is totally different....although something would tell me this is too good to be true, and I couldnt afford to risk 5k. Because thats what it always is.....a risk, nothing is guaranteed but these footballers/ ex footballers have such a sense of entitlement. And if I lost the money I would think more fool me for being so greedy

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:17 pm
by jrgbfc
Would love to see our FA take a stand and boycott the 2022 World Cup. The whole thing absolutely stinks.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm
by Bin Ont Turf
He and Septic Bladder should be picking soap up in the prison showers.

Re: Platini detained

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:10 am
by box_of_frogs
jrgbfc wrote:Would love to see our FA take a stand and boycott the 2022 World Cup. The whole thing absolutely stinks.
I’m pretty sure the Scots and Welsh will be doing that by just not qualifying again....