If we hosted the 2022 World Cup which grounds would they use ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

If we hosted the 2022 World Cup which grounds would they use ?

Post by JimMcDonald » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:31 pm

With rumours around that Qatar will be stripped off the World Cup and it could be given to England, Which grounds do you think they would use or which would you like them to use ? Heres my list....

Wembley Stadium - England
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Spurs
Emirates Stadium - Arsenal
London Stadium - West Ham United
Old Trafford - Manchester United
Etihad Stadium - Manchester City
Anfield - Liverpool
KC Stadium - Hull City
Hillsborough - Sheffield Wednesday
St James Park - Newcastle
Stadium of Light - Sunderland
Villa Park - Aston Villa
Molineux - Wolves
Amex Stadium - Brighton
St Marys - Southampton

Now I don't know how many grounds they usually use but that looks good to me, All spaced out around the country. Obviously a few smaller grounds in like Hull & Brighton for the smaller fixtures.

But realistically I can't see them giving us a World Cup with our hooligan fanbase. I really think we would embarrass the country there would be mayhem in every city and traveling fans would be attacked in most.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Re: If we hosted the 2022 World Cup which grounds would they use ?

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:48 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:With rumours around that Qatar will be stripped off the World Cup and it could be given to England, Which grounds do you think they would use or which would you like them to use ? Heres my list....

Wembley Stadium - England
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium - Spurs
Emirates Stadium - Arsenal
London Stadium - West Ham United
Old Trafford - Manchester United
Etihad Stadium - Manchester City
Anfield - Liverpool
KC Stadium - Hull City
Hillsborough - Sheffield Wednesday
St James Park - Newcastle
Stadium of Light - Sunderland
Villa Park - Aston Villa
Molineux - Wolves
Amex Stadium - Brighton
St Marys - Southampton

Now I don't know how many grounds they usually use but that looks good to me, All spaced out around the country. Obviously a few smaller grounds in like Hull & Brighton for the smaller fixtures.

But realistically I can't see them giving us a World Cup with our hooligan fanbase. I really think we would embarrass the country there would be mayhem in every city and traveling fans would be attacked in most.
When we bid for the 2018 World Cup both Bristol City & MK grounds were included.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:51 pm

You could knock the Amex stadium off the list - some fans would need to leave now to get there on time
These 2 users liked this post: ElectroClaret Dark Cloud

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:02 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:

Utter drivel.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:04 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:You could knock the Amex stadium off the list - some fans would need to leave now to get there on time
Since when has that ever bothered FIFA or UEFA ??
This user liked this post: SalisburyClaret

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

If this was to happen, I think there'd also be stadiums in Wales and Scotland and, maybe even Dublin (if we keep a soft border). ;)

And, maybe that's the opportunity to expand the numbers participating in the finals.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4068 times
Has Liked: 1852 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:07 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:
Well, I've read some bollix on here (in fact I've posted a lot myself) but that possibly takes the custard cream.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony Steve1956 Holtyclaret thomaspaine

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 4017 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:09 pm

But realistically I can't see them giving us a World Cup with our hooligan fanbase. I really think we would embarrass the country there would be mayhem in every city and traveling fans would be attacked in most.[/quote]

Great fishing. Bloody good shot Sir.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 4017 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:11 pm

[quote="Paul Waine"]If this was to happen, I think there'd also be stadiums in Wales and Scotland and, maybe even Dublin (if we keep a soft border). ;)

Yeah fair enough, would love to know Nicola Sturgeon's view.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 pm

Should the situation arise, I'd knock off the KC Stadium, Ethiad, the Amex and the London Stadium, and insert Carrow Road, Croke Park in Dublin, the Millenium Stadium in Cardiff, and Hampden or Celtic Park, spreading the love .... :D

Then the British Isles would be helping FIFA out of a fix, not just the FA ....

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 3332 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:24 pm

Elland Road would probably be on the list, but (as mentioned) not The Amex as it's well out of town.

If i remember correctly the people who were seriously robbed when Qatar got the gig were the Aussies who had an excellent bid which came runner up and tbh that would have been a great shout, so if it didn't go ahead in Qatar that's where it should be imo.

claretburns
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Aren't the grounds/schedule made before the draw, for example Group A game 3 will be played at Hull City, so they could get a Brazil v Netherlands type of game whereas a Wembley could have Iran v South Africa I don't think the grounds are picked after the draw.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2349 times
Has Liked: 3177 times

Post by Paul Waine » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:36 pm

claretburns wrote:Aren't the grounds/schedule made before the draw, for example Group A game 3 will be played at Hull City, so they could get a Brazil v Netherlands type of game whereas a Wembley could have Iran v South Africa I don't think the grounds are picked after the draw.
"We decide Baku before we knew who would be in the final - and that's the way it is staying...." Yes, it's a common theme.

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:38 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Elland Road would probably be on the list, but (as mentioned) not The Amex as it's well out of town.

If i remember correctly the people who were seriously robbed when Qatar got the gig were the Aussies who had an excellent bid which came runner up and tbh that would have been a great shout, so if it didn't go ahead in Qatar that's where it should be imo.
The Amex is well out of town but it's very well set up to be well out of town with shuttle trains that work well, loads of bars, plenty of space for fanzones, etc. It was used for the rugby world cup and worked well.

(The one that has been mentioned that's well out of town and is a ballache to get to is the MK Dons stadium.)

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 pm

Surely Hillsborough wouldn’t get chosen. Seriously out of date. Too many other options that would be more appropriate.

Also, haven’t a lot of people commented that the London Stadium is poor for football?

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 3332 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 pm

aggi wrote:The Amex is well out of town but it's very well set up to be well out of town with shuttle trains that work well, loads of bars, plenty of space for fanzones, etc. It was used for the rugby world cup and worked well.

(The one that has been mentioned that's well out of town and is a ballache to get to is the MK Dons stadium.)
In fairness Aggi, I've never been to MK , but I have done the Amex with the Clarets and although the special matchday trains are frequent and it's all very well organised, there was bugger all actually out there aside from the ground and after the game we caught the train on to Lewes.

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 pm

if only we hadn't removed the wooden seats! :roll:

:)

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2632 times
Has Liked: 6442 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:49 pm

aggi wrote:The Amex is well out of town but it's very well set up to be well out of town with shuttle trains that work well, loads of bars, plenty of space for fanzones, etc. It was used for the rugby world cup and worked well.

Sorry aggi, you have no idea about stadium MK if you think it’s well out of town - it’s well serviced by good transport links and has plenty of local parking for everyone. Also used at full capacity for the rugby World Cup and I was shopping in Ikea next door while the game was on - I had no idea until I heard the fans.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Surely Hillsborough wouldn’t get chosen. Seriously out of date. Too many other options that would be more appropriate.

Also, haven’t a lot of people commented that the London Stadium is poor for football?
I couldn’t see Hillsborough coming close to being selected

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 pm

aggi wrote:The Amex is well out of town but it's very well set up to be well out of town with shuttle trains that work well, loads of bars, plenty of space for fanzones, etc. It was used for the rugby world cup and worked well. (The one that has been mentioned that's well out of town and is a ballache to get to is the MK Dons stadium.)
Hang on .... good access links ,( 5 train stations and 4 Motorway junctions within 4 miles, Bus and Canal links, three International Airports within 50 minutes Drive ), large green space adjoining for Fan Zones, with a much larger one within 1,000 metres of the ground, many local pubs and bars, add to that the historical links to the roots of the game .... are you thinking what I'm thinking ?? :D

Imagine how much we could charge for Twix's !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:59 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:Sorry aggi, you have no idea about stadium MK if you think it’s well out of town - it’s well serviced by good transport links and has plenty of local parking for everyone. Also used at full capacity for the rugby World Cup and I was shopping in Ikea next door while the game was on - I had no idea until I heard the fans.
I've been there a lot over the years. Plenty of local parking is useless for non-local fans at an international tournament.

I've been there watching Burnley when I've had to get a taxi to and from the ground as there was no other means of transport.

I've been there for the rugby world cup when the shuttle buses were fine before the match but a nightmare after the match, bad enough that we walked back to the station.

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:In fairness Aggi, I've never been to MK , but I have done the Amex with the Clarets and although the special matchday trains are frequent and it's all very well organised, there was bugger all actually out there aside from the ground and after the game we caught the train on to Lewes.
I'd generally agree with that but at a world cup you'd expect there to be extra stuff set up around the ground. There certainly was for the rugby world cup there.

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2166 times
Has Liked: 3097 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:11 pm

I'd argue for Bloomfield Road with a bigger temp stand to up capacity like they had planned for 2018 at Plymouth.

Not the glamour choice but there is a shed load of accommodation and people could base themselves there if a group was put between there and Anfield maybe?

(Sorry Everton but the wooden stand makes it a no go for me)

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 pm

Foulthrow wrote:

I think you're confusing that with the football is poor at the London Stadium :lol:

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:56 am

As someone suggested, other UK stadiums would be used and possibly even pan euro.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:47 am

Doesn't have to be footie either, Twickenham etc

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2595 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:12 am

ClaretTony wrote:I couldn’t see Hillsborough coming close to being selected
Can't see it happening anyway, but I reckon Bramhall Lane would be chosen now for Sheffield. Not quite as big but slightly more modernised - with more work to be done now they're in the Prem. Hillsborough is like a museum or a crumbling stately home.

gtclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:33 am

We are blessed with fantastic stadiums throughout the top 3 divisions. You should see some of the grounds in the Spanish second tier, I think some of our non league grounds are better

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:43 am

Hooligan fanbase
Mayhem

Hmmm

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2292 times
Has Liked: 2165 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:49 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Sorry aggi, you have no idea about stadium MK if you think it’s well out of town - it’s well serviced by good transport links and has plenty of local parking for everyone. Also used at full capacity for the rugby World Cup and I was shopping in Ikea next door while the game was on - I had no idea until I heard the fans.
I’ve watched England where there’s been half a dozen taxis available to get 10k fans 15 miles back to main cities so all ours would pass surely. IMO Germany and France are light years ahead for transport