ARTICLE: Clarets say no to Gibson loan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32401 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

ARTICLE: Clarets say no to Gibson loan

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:59 am

Reported by Sky

See link
http://www.uptheclarets.com/clarets-say ... ibson-loan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: ARTICLE: Clarets say no to Gibson loan

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:21 am

Not convinced he will be played on the right hand side of the two. I don’t think we will play 3 at the back often so it means he’s back up to Ben Mee. Whilst it’s only an injury away or loss of form to Mee it must be frustrating for him.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:27 am

I imagine last year was very frustrating for him. I’m sure he had other options apart from Burnley and he probably joined expecting that he would have more chance of playing at PL level. However, as we’ve seen with others that have joined - Tarks, Taylor, even Barnes - it can take time to get in the first XI but once you seize that chance you can have that spot for a long time.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Quicknick

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am

Fair point. Stephen Ward had to wait for his chance but what a player he became.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:29 am

With what happened with Keane and Tarkowski, I'm sure he was well aware that his minutes on the pitch would be limited in his first season.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:14 am

FactualFrank wrote:With what happened with Keane and Tarkowski, I'm sure he was well aware that his minutes on the pitch would be limited in his first season.
I'm pretty sure Gibson didn't sign expecting to be a bench warmer for us, as Boro captain and someone who was being linked with some of the big boys not that long ago. Maybe we led him to think Ben Mee was on his way, who knows?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:22 am

Or maybe he signed for us because we were the only premier league club who made a firm offer and he has already decided he was going to leave Boro after they failed to get promotion. His chances of a big move, signing on fee and better contract were reducing all the time he was at Boro.
There is no reason we would have told him Mee was leaving whilst we were offering Mee a new contract at the same time.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 am

jrgbfc wrote:Maybe we led him to think Ben Mee was on his way, who knows?
Given Ben Mee was never on his way, I would very much doubt that.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:30 am

ClaretTony wrote:Given Ben Mee was never on his way, I would very much doubt that.

You will never get that point through to some

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:04 am

Gibson would have done his homework before his move and it must have been a fitting move as he was right at home at Middlesbrough with his direct family and owners of the Club
What happens at our club every player as to earn his right to cement his position in the side and adopt the style we play
What didn't help Gibson was his double operation on his groin
And the sending off in Athens didn't let him proceed in bedding in it was cut short
Also at the beginning of the last season when the usually solid Ben Mee was probably at his worse
That would have been the time for him to step up but injury payed dividends to that
So when his time came to shine he was very unlucky again with all our players punch drunk
and Everton on the rampage certainly didn't help the players cause
We have quite a few players that will be putting a lot of effort in to state a claim he isn't on his own in this with Defour, Brady, Lennon, Vydra, and who ever we bring in so we could end up with good competition
What remains to come out of the camp is the tremendous togetherness and if there was an hint
of discontent i think you would see it in body language when players do interviews and articles in the press
We are our worst enemies at times a making much more out of a situation that simply isn't their

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:22 am

On the subject of the togetherness, something that many of us see the importance of and others incredibly scoff at, Matty Taylor did an interview recently following his retirement. This is the Taylor who spent two years at Burnley. The first was all but ruined by injury while the second season saw him fail to get in the side and make only one start (at Forest) although there were some particularly late cameos (Brighton away and Middlesbrough at home really do come to mind).

Taylor was discussing the clubs he played for and of Burnley he said:

“What I really love about Burnley is that so many clubs dispense with their manager after getting relegated or enduring a season worse than they’d have liked. Yet they stuck by Sean. He’s an unbelievable manager but first and foremost he’s a great man. He’s a very good leader and I like the way he talks and the solidarity he brings to a club. He’s not changed from when I was there to now."What he talks about a lot is that you cannot flick a switch so you train as you play. And he is not only demanding of you but of himself and the coaching staff. You’re all in it together and there are no egos. Everybody is part of what is bigger than an individual.

"“Hopefully they will now be able to attract a better calibre of footballer for next season because if you asked me now ‘What are Burnley?’ the answer is they are an established Premier League club. Sean has been very successful there and they have tried to build on that success year in, year out in a sensible manner within their budget. And that’s what he has delivered. They enjoyed European football last season. He delivered another year of Premier League football. And they go again next seasonI think Burnley can aim for the top ten. The main aspiration of any chairman outside of the top six is to stay in the Premier League because the riches are so huge now it is vitally important they retain their status. So I’d imagine that’s the first thing the manager and chairman is thinking. But beyond that why can’t Burnley go on to have a successful season? They’ve got some really, really good players and have a clear view of how they play. Each player is on board. So they can be successful. But it’s all about building on what and who you are."

He added: "“I loved it up there. It was difficult for me because after the first four to six games after signing I got injured and that was tough. I was out for a longer period of time that both myself and my surgeon anticipated. That was hard not to be able to help your team try and stay in the Premier League. But, then the following year, we won the Championship. We were pushed all the way and we weren’t favourites to go up. If you asked me for my one memory of that season I’d say the togetherness of that squad."
These 10 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 simonclaret Fretters Sarum DCWat MT03ALG Rowls jtv Aclaret Bosscat

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:25 pm

Top professional, top man. If only there were more people in football like Matt Taylor.
This user liked this post: Rowls

DCWat
Been Liked: 4141 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:40 pm

It’s a shame we never saw the best of Taylor, on the pitch. He was a cracking player for years and scored some great goals.

It’s great to read comments like that from a former player.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretTony MT03ALG ecc Rowls

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:55 pm

It's very difficult to predict these things but I think MT will be a good manager. He shares, so it would seem, the same values and attitude as Michael Duff. I also think (and hope) MD will be a good manager. And, who knows, perhaps at Burnley one day.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Think this season is make or break for Gibson. If he doesn't get a chance and spends another year rotting on the bench then I think he'll definitely be determined to leave, and we shouldn't stand in his way.