Heaton turns down new deal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Re: Heaton turns down new deal

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:15 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Prob what Hart is earning has upset more than a few apple carts, is he on 150k a week with Man City paying half?
Not sure why Man City would be paying more than they were paying him when he was their player.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:17 pm

NL Claret wrote:Lack of confidence in the keeper? No. Lowton is a bit hit n miss, Taylor looked an average championship left back who was stepping up, Mee terribly out of form and Tarky carrying an injury. The midfield was weak and Jack Cork offered the back four no protection. Even when Heaton came back in the defence struggled with crosses coming into the box. I'll change what I said about hesitation, Hart stays on his line, Heaton occasionally comes for crosses but isn't a commanding keeper. There is a reason that keepers don't come for every ball that comes into the box that Hart was expected to by the fans and maybe the defence, injury been one of them. We had a season of Pope collecting all of them, that is one of his strengths, very few modern day goalkeepers do that.

As for the comments about defenders running behind Hart, that has happened with Heaton and Pope so that's a load of ********. It's the way , when on form that Burnley defend. There were more defensive blocks and energy from the midfield in the second half of the season, were they less confident in Heaton or the myth they didn't like Hart which questions their professionalism.
The difference is with Hart they were all bombing back rather than defending the second ball. Look again at the earlier games and not how many are tracking back, but already behind Hart when it goes in and they moved there instead of defending, not as a result of it.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:41 pm

There was only one **** poor performance by a Burnley goalkeeper this season and it wasn't Hart.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Heaton or Pope in goal but the crap posted on social media about Hart is odd.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:19 pm

1914tyrone wrote:Joe is as good as Nick and Tom at shot stopping. But is so hesitant to come off his line the defence then lacks confidence in him and we concede.
He could stop 100 shots but what’s the point if you let in 200 others???

Hart is not up to this level anymore.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:20 pm

Testing

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:28 pm

NL Claret wrote:There was only one **** poor performance by a Burnley goalkeeper this season and it wasn't Hart.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather have Heaton or Pope in goal but the crap posted on social media about Hart is odd.
You didn’t think Hart played badly against Everton on Boxing Day? Seriously?

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:29 pm

NL Claret wrote:There was only one **** poor performance by a Burnley goalkeeper this season and it wasn't Hart.
Boxing Day though.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:38 pm

Thought he was awful at Fulham and I think enough people have reminded you about Everton. All keepers have bad games, Pope at City & Heaton at Liverpool, but don’t suggest Hart didn’t have poor games.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:39 pm

Lowton commits stupid foul for free kick and moves out of wall for one goal.

Excellent hanging cross which wasn't the keepers to come for , not dealt with by the defenders.

Dyche playing 3 centre halves.

Defence / non existent midfield backing off for another goal. Left after that one.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:46 pm

Let me know what ward you are on and I'll pop in to visit you.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:00 am

tybfc wrote:Let me know what ward you are on and I'll pop in to visit you.
:x sums up the mentality of some UTC posters.

Watch the Everton goal where Tarky goes out to try to stop the cross, he's never going to affect it, poor decision. Surely better being in the middle trying to defend it , where was Lowton? Harts fault? Yes because we didn't like him before he signed and can't make a non judgemental opinion......dick.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am

Hi dick. I've posted many times on how Hart doesn't speak to his defence or midfield.

Heaton is brilliant at it and the results prove it.

Dejavu
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 36 times

Post by Dejavu » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:22 am

Heaton is a great keeper but we have an already proven, younger replacement in Pope who is just as good. Cash in on Heaton promote Pope to the position he would have been in anyway barring injury.

Hart needs to go for his own sake.

NL Claret

Post by NL Claret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:08 am

tybfc wrote:Hi dick. I've posted many times on how Hart doesn't speak to his defence or midfield.

Heaton is brilliant at it and the results prove it.
UTC bullshit at its finest.

He probably never spoke to his defence or midfield when he won the golden glove and winning then PL.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:28 am

NL Claret wrote:UTC bullshit at its finest.

He probably never spoke to his defence or midfield when he won the golden glove and winning then PL.
to be fair he probably didn't need to as most of the City defence play as attackers :lol:

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:51 am

Pope is so bad at kicking though..

To do better in the league we need to start being able to keep the ball and take the game to teams, our awful ball retention isn't going to be helped by a goalkeeper who can't kick. If our game plan is to play with target men who can hold up play there is no use kicking the ball too far or out of play. You need to get it on their noggin.

I think Pope is an excellent shot stopper and great at coming for crosses but coming for crosses isn't as important as it was years back. Once teams know he is playing they will avoid floating crosses into the box as much as they can. Much the same as a good striker knows to shoot under a goalkeepers reach when he's tall.

Heaton still a much better keeper overall, he's no worse at shot stopping than Pope, has better handling and has better kicking. Not just that but his influence as captain makes such a difference. We have no one who shines as a leader otherwise and as shown when Mee was captain things didn't go well.

I remember the days we continued to play Clarke Carlisle because he was captain, no matter how poor he played sometimes. At least we don't have that any more!

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:50 am

Hart didn’t need to organise his back line at City because Vincent Kompany did that.

Joe14
Been Liked: 249 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by Joe14 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:18 am

Stop mourning Hart and move on. Get over him. He’s had his day. The future is not Hart and his leaky goal.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:20 am

I cannot think for a minute we'll let both Hart and Heaton leave unless extremely good offers come in. Tom has been a great servant and the heartbeat of our team. It's his prerogative to decline a new contract, but that doesn't necessarily mean we'll sell him. I'm not normally in favour of keeping players entering the final year, however I'd make an exception in TH's case. He's surely a strong respected voice in the dressing room, a leader and part of the fabric of the club. Similar in many ways to Kompany at City. I'll be disappointed if Heats and Pope aren't 1 & 2 next season.
These 2 users liked this post: Shipclaret tybfc

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:12 am

As I mentioned earlier Heaton will sign once he and his Agent get to the figure they want. They don't get many opportunities to negotiate a new deal so I don't blame them for taking full advantage.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:43 am

What’s that got to do with his form at Burnley?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:53 am

He was all but set to join Villa in the last window, that might even re ignite. They're not waiting around in terms of signings, he might fancy a nice new contract there with the guarantee of being first choice.

I do think he will have a few different options depending if he either wants 1 last pay day, or guaranteed first team football.

I can't see him having another 2 or 3 happy seasons here as guaranteed first choice. We can't offer him that IMO.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:41 am

I just don't see Pope signing a deal if he was gonna be 2nd choice.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:11 am

There can be only one.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:14 am

Maybe Tom wasn't promised the No 1 slot which is why he won't sign a new contract rather than the money. Either way we should hang on to him for a season, even if it's just to prevent the likes of Bournemouth getting him.

I haven't a clue what Pope has been promised but I'm convinced Heaton will start as our keeper for our first match next season.

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:18 am

If we lose Tom this summer, I for one will be really disappointed. Whilst the debate over whether Hart had excellent, average or poor performances will continue anon, in my view Tom in the team is of huge importance.

He is the very heartbeat of the dressing room. If he’s happy, which he clearly wasn’t up to the West Ham game, then that undoubtedly rubs off on key players within our squad - no less so than Ben Mee and James Tarkowski. He is the club captain and his role is so much more than just a goalkeeper. He’s an organiser, a leader, a mate - someone that I have absolutely no doubt the entire squad have respect for and if he’s in the team and happy that can only be good. For me, that is the key reason our form turned last season. Heads didn’t drop against Huddersfield or Fulham - we kept going, knowing we could, and indeed would, win. That comes from huge team spirit, led by no less than Tom himself.

I’ve been fortunate enough to meet the man on numerous occasions and my little lad, Jacob, was lucky enough to be the mascot for the day at Bournemouth last season. Tom was superb with him. He’s a hero of Jacob’s and I’ve got to say the man is an absolute gentleman with as much time in the world as any fan needs for a chat, an autograph, a photo - you name it. Sean Dyche aside, if anyone sums up Burnley Football Club over recent years it’s Tom Heaton and his importance to our dressing room, team and Club are huge.

If, and it’s still clearly a huge if, he does leave then we must make every effort to ensure his loss does not reverberate around the dressing room and that it is of his own volition for whatever reason he cites. Had he left in January, had he not got back in the team, I genuinely think we’d have been doomed - morale would have hit rock bottom (if it didn’t anyway after the Everton match).

Burnley Football Club will exist for many, many years beyond Tom Heaton’s career but his importance to this squad and this era cannot be underestimated in my view.
These 6 users liked this post: mdd2 JohnDearyMe CanuckClaret Bigvince spadesclaret sanderson370

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:58 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:
He is the very heartbeat of the dressing room. If he’s happy, which he clearly wasn’t up to the West Ham game, then that undoubtedly rubs off on key players within our squad

Which is why IF he isnt going to be number 1, it's best for all he leaves.
And if so leave, he will do so with fond memories, his head held high, as Burnley's number 1 and with the fans best wishes.

We dont want any saga dragging on, he doesn't need it and neither do we.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:17 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:According to john cross on twitter https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... a-16245759" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the mirror is very rarely right.

we have heard so often of players who wont sign from these unreliable sources then next moment they have signed.

Only fact I take from this is that negotiations have begun

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:28 pm

I thought Hart was excellent for us, the rest of the team just couldn't be arsed while he was in goals though, the complete lack of effort throughout the side was obvious. Something wasn't quite right in the dressing room, possibly the reports that the players wanted Barnes and Heaton back in the side were true. I don't see how you can fault Hart really, we were conceding 20+ shots a game, no matter how many saves he made, we were bound to concede eventually, no keeper in the world would've done much better with how bad we were 1-11.

One of the best individual performances iv seen from a goalkeeper was Hart at Wolves, seems alot of people have jumped on the hate bandwaggon recently, the same people who were voting him MOTM every single game back when he was in the side. Then you got the oddballs, who didn't like Hart before he signed, so no matter how great he was for us, he was never gonna be accepted.
This user liked this post: claretfern

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:20 pm

Don't really understand why the rest of the team have been given a free pass for their abysmal showing the first half of last season and Hart has been made the scapegoat.
This user liked this post: Paulclaret

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Cheshireclaret wrote:If we lose Tom this summer, I for one will be really disappointed. Whilst the debate over whether Hart had excellent, average or poor performances will continue anon, in my view Tom in the team is of huge importance.
If Heaton stays then we lose Nick Pope. That's the reality of the situation.

Only one will be here at the start of the season as I doubt neither will be prepared to sit on the bench and commit career suicide, which effectively that's what it will be for one of them.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:36 pm

Spijed wrote:If Heaton stays then we lose Nick Pope. That's the reality of the situation.

Only one will be here at the start of the season as I doubt neither will be prepared to sit on the bench and commit career suicide, which effectively that's what it will be for one of them.
Pope signed a new contract a few weeks ago. He isn't going anywhere this summer.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:I thought Hart was excellent for us, the rest of the team just couldn't be arsed while he was in goals though, the complete lack of effort throughout the side was obvious. Something wasn't quite right in the dressing room, possibly the reports that the players wanted Barnes and Heaton back in the side were true. I don't see how you can fault Hart really, we were conceding 20+ shots a game, no matter how many saves he made, we were bound to concede eventually, no keeper in the world would've done much better with how bad we were 1-11.

One of the best individual performances iv seen from a goalkeeper was Hart at Wolves, seems alot of people have jumped on the hate bandwaggon recently, the same people who were voting him MOTM every single game back when he was in the side. Then you got the oddballs, who didn't like Hart before he signed, so no matter how great he was for us, he was never gonna be accepted.
‘Oddballs’ very apt!

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:17 pm

We shouldn't have signed Hart. We already had a backup keeper and Heaton was already fit. Very strange signing when you think about how short we were in other positions.

In a recent interview on the radio Heaton was talking about competition for places and described Hart joining as a "strange one".

I don't think it was Harts fault the team didn't play well but it was clear that the dressing room didn't like someone new coming in.

Gotta remember these lads spend a lot of time together, make friends etc. What do you think Hart joining showed to not just Heaton but to Lindergaard and Ledgzins who did no wrong to Burnley?

littlemissclaret
Been Liked: 13 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by littlemissclaret » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:33 pm

Was Hart rooted to his goal line when he won the Premier League at Man City? Fulham was the worst example last season, but this constantly caused us defensive problems.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:37 pm

littlemissclaret wrote:Was Hart rooted to his goal line when he won the Premier League at Man City? Fulham was the worst example last season, but this constantly caused us defensive problems.
Yes - he had better defenders who could compensate for his failings

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:44 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:to be fair he probably didn't need to as most of the City defence play as attackers :lol:
& they probably couldn't hear him, so far away :)

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:49 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Any thoughts as to why Lowton, Taylor, Mee, Tarky were under performing? Could it have been a lack of confidence in the goalkeeper. I’d say Heaton is far less hesitant coming off his line.
The whole team was underperforming. Ben Mee seemed to have a problem, maybe over his contract. Ben Mee and Taylor were a new partnership, not ideal in very tough league l, particularly when one seemed to be sulking. Lpwton lost form badly and was dropped after setting up Will Hughes for his goal. On top of this and as Dyche has said the early start to the season didn't help matters.

Pope is the best keeper for coming off his line. He had problems holding onto the ball early on from ground shots and the two CB's had to rush to cover for a rebound. But he improved in thst area.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:05 pm

This is all becoming a bit Jensenesque now. Tom isn't in the team he demands a transfer, gets back in the team and is happy, potentially won't be number 1 next season so he refuses to sign a contract and rumoured to be leaving again. As long as he doesn't get a tribunal! ;)

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:10 pm

Goobs wrote:This is all becoming a bit Jensenesque now. Tom isn't in the team he demands a transfer, gets back in the team and is happy, potentially won't be number 1 next season so he refuses to sign a contract and rumoured to be leaving again. As long as he doesn't get a tribunal! ;)
He hasn’t asked for a transfer. At worst, if the tabloid speculation is correct, he’s opted not to sign a new deal which would leave him free to leave at the end of next season. And no matter what happens, there will be no tribunal.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He hasn’t asked for a transfer. At worst, if the tabloid speculation is correct, he’s opted not to sign a new deal which would leave him free to leave at the end of next season. And no matter what happens, there will be no tribunal.
Was just being silly. Hopefully he hasn't refused to sign one but rather just hasn't been able to come to an agreement yet. Can't imagine we can keep both him and Pope and with Tom being older and with a shorter contract then if one has to go it would unfortunately be Tom for me (with many thanks and best wishes).

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:44 pm

as he cost nothing maybe we could keep him and let him run down his contract

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:47 pm

mdd2 wrote:as he cost nothing maybe we could keep him and let him run down his contract
I'm not sure it matters what he cost us, it's about what we could get if we sold him.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:08 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I'm not sure it matters what he cost us, it's about what we could get if we sold him.
There was an interview on Clarets player last season, can't remember if it was SD or Rigg, when they were asked about transfer policy looking forward, part of the answer was about letting players leave for nothing if that's what they cost in the first place. If they cost nowt we haven't lost anything.... thought it was very un-Burnley like at the time.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:19 pm

superdimitri wrote:We have no one who shines as a leader otherwise and as shown when Mee was captain things didn't go well.
We finished 7th when Ben Mee was captain.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:25 pm

Heaton is the best keeper in the prem, what a talent. I can think back on so many astounding saves and blocks. Nobody is faultless, Pope is also a remarkably great keeper, the kicking is a minor issue, we are very lucky at present with this calibre of keepers.

chipbutty
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by chipbutty » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:44 pm

Hart came in as an emergency. He had had 2 crap seasons, one at West Ham and one at Turin. The back 4 weren`t confident in him, he thought he was too good to be at Burnley and probably on a higher wage. Hence dodgy performances all round. Simples.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3162 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:33 am

Joe Hart is....Past his best / over the hill / gone to seed /.. too good to be at Burnley ( in his mind ).....no longer a top goalkeeper!
Hopefully we have a good young 'un lined up to replace him.
Pope is the best goalkeeper i've seen at Burnley.........he negates the deep crosses into the box and is a good shot stopper.
Heaton is great.......Pope is probably better.
Mind you Alan Stevenson was great too!

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:05 am

BurnleyFC wrote:We finished 7th when Ben Mee was captain.

Yeah but we did lose some games when Mee was captain so clearly things didn’t go well :D

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:07 am

BurnleyFC wrote:We finished 7th when Ben Mee was captain.
And we would have been relegated the following year if he stayed captain. I was talking about last season, not the one before. It was clear to see when Heaton came back the team got a boost in confidence.