Best Clarets Individual Goal On The Turf?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Re: Best Clarets Individual Goal On The Turf?

Post by nil_desperandum » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Buxtonclaret wrote:Another for Hoskin.
You mean the one that he scored in an away game?? :roll:
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Dazzler
Been Liked: 881 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:05 pm

moaninclaret wrote:Can anyone recall Graham Branches goal i cant remember who it was against but he picked up the ball on the halfway line on the left wing , bundled past a defender, sprinted down the wing almost to the bye line then zipped the ball across and it went in the goal, i think it was meant to be a cross to Ade but i will never forget that one. Anyone else remember it please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb4qMnwg46k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2009 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:44 pm

MG70 wrote:I remember Billy Hamilton running from our box at the bee hole end and carrying the ball to the other end and firing past the Preston keeper. I’m sure it was when we won the third division title. That has always been my favourite goal.
It was a great goal but not quite as you remember. To my mind the ball was played up to him about 10yds into our half. He ducked and let the ball bounce over himself and his PNE marker before spinning and haring away from him to bury it. It was the championship season.
Last edited by Tricky Trevor on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:48 pm

My vote is already in. Brian O’Neil against ManU from a minimum of 30yds.89th minute and a 1-0 win.
Billy Ingham v Chelsea and Frank Casper v Chelsea run it close.

Best visitors goal in my time can only be Peter Osgood’s. Our corner and he collects the ball in his own area and just set off running. A few backed off, he was only a kid then, and on he went. Eventually had to beat a couple before he netted from edge of the box. Superb stuff.
This user liked this post: Royboyclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:59 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:My vote is already in. Brian O’Neil against ManU from a minimum of 30yds.89th minute and a 1-0 win.

Best visitors goal in my time can only be Peter Osgood’s. Our corner and he collects the ball in his own area and just set off running. A few backed off, he was only a kid then, and on he went. Eventually had to beat a couple before he netted from edge of the box. Superb stuff.
I missed that game with illness so have never seen the Osgood goal. What a player he was.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 511 times
Has Liked: 1062 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:26 pm

Talented player certainly, but after his broken leg at Blackpool he became a very nasty piece of work.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:35 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:My vote is already in. Brian O’Neil against ManU from a minimum of 30yds.89th minute and a 1-0 win.

If that's the Osgood goal in the 4th Round replay on the Turf, it remains one of my all time favourite goals. He mesmerised half the Burnley team before a wonder finish at the cricket field end.

Chelsea went on to win the Cup that season and Osgood scored again in the Final replay at Old Trafford, this time following the most exquisite through ball from Charlie Cooke who was sheer class in their midfield.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:If that's the Osgood goal in the 4th Round replay on the Turf, it remains one of my all time favourite goals. He mesmerised half the Burnley team before a wonder finish at the cricket field end.
No, Royboy, I missed that replay. They kicked Coates off the park that night.
This was 29/1/66. We lost 2-1 after Angus had given us the lead. He scored it at the CF end but I can’t remember if it was the equaliser or the winner. He scored them both aged 19. It gets a mention on his wiki page but they only credit him with a 60yd run.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Osgood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Royboyclaret

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1282 times
Has Liked: 681 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:No, Royboy, I missed that replay. They kicked Coates off the park that night.
This was 29/1/66. We lost 2-1 after Angus had given us the lead. He scored it at the CF end but I can’t remember if it was the equaliser or the winner. He scored them both aged 19. It gets a mention on his wiki page but they only credit him with a 60yd run.
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Osgood" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perhaps my mind is playing tricks and we're talking about the same goal. I'll check it out...... Whatever, it was a simply sensational goal from a wonderfully gifted player.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:02 am

Royboyclaret wrote:If that's the Osgood goal in the 4th Round replay on the Turf, it remains one of my all time favourite goals. He mesmerised half the Burnley team before a wonder finish at the cricket field end.
Quite astonishing - Peter Osgood didn't even play in that game let along score a favourite goal. Tommy Baldwin scored that night with Peter Houseman scoring twice.

The goal referred to was in January 1966, four years earlier, and he scored both in a 2-1 win for Chelsea with John Angus scoring ours.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:08 am

The Bryan oneil goal.....I Didn't dream it after all.... :D