Paul Weller interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Paul Weller interview

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:47 pm

A really good and honest interview on the official site with Paul. I'm enjoying these interviews.

I think that he understated his bowel problems though, he did well to come back from that.

Cotterill releasing him on the eve of his wedding day :o

Cheers Paul 8-)

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Re: Paul Weller interview

Post by gandhisflipflop » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:A really good and honest interview on the official site with Paul. I'm enjoying these interviews.

I think that he understated his bowel problems though, he did well to come back from that.

Cotterill releasing him on the eve of his wedding day :o

Cheers Paul 8-)

Cotts could be very ruthless when he wanted to be. But I'd imagine to work for he would be easy because you would have known where you stood with him I'd imagine

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:00 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Cotts could be very ruthless when he wanted to be. But I'd imagine to work for he would be easy because you would have known where you stood with him I'd imagine
Spoken to Paul about that in the past and that is what still irks him til today. He really doesn’t like Cotterill - said he just got called in and “sorry mate, thanks but no thanks - cya”

..... pretty sure this was after he thought he was getting an extension too on his contract.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:07 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Spoken to Paul about that in the past and that is what still irks him til today. He really doesn’t like Cotterill - said he just got called in and “sorry mate, thanks but no thanks - cya”

..... pretty sure this was after he thought he was getting an extension too on his contract.
To be fair I don’t think it came as a major surprise when PW was released, he really struggled to make any kind of impact, it was sad to think of the kid who won trials at WHU.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Spoken to Paul about that in the past and that is what still irks him til today. He really doesn’t like Cotterill
He's not that fond of Jimmy Mullen either, going off the interview.

Like I said, honest.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:18 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:He's not that fond of Jimmy Mullen either, going off the interview.

Like I said, honest.
Definitely not one to mince his words.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:04 am

My son went to half term football at The Turf years ago and PW was there leading the football school.............he was great with the kids that day.......a big part of our “recent” history as was super Glenny Little!

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:07 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:He's not that fond of Jimmy Mullen either, going off the interview.

Like I said, honest.
Not many are when you speak to them, probably the most disliked manager we've ever had with the players.

Bin Ont Turf

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:Not many are when you speak to them, probably the most disliked manager we've ever had with the players.
I have been made aware of that, which seems strange from the outside when you consider the success we had.

I can only think that it was drink related.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:16 am

ClaretTony wrote:Not many are when you speak to them, probably the most disliked manager we've ever had with the players.
You Don't like jimmy Mullen either do you CT?
This user liked this post: Jeremy_Bentham

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:17 am

. thinks that’s garbage.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:20 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I have been made aware of that, which seems strange from the outside when you consider the success we had.

I can only think that it was drink related.
I don't know whether it was the drink or not but I was shocked when I started getting the view of him from players. And it is not just the players from the last year or so when we were struggling, but from the players who were in the two promotion teams.

tim_noone wrote:You Don't like jimmy Mullen either do you CT?
Never had any problem with him at all - only had to get involved with him twice and both times he was absolutely brilliant so no, your suggestion is wrong.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

djemba-djemba
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 40 times

Post by djemba-djemba » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:23 am

Surely Jimmy Mullen can't have been that unpopular.
Instantly transforming a team's fortunes on taking over as manager with 7 straight wins, then storming to the title and later achieving a 2nd promotion at Wembley with an average side must have got him some credit with the players.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:25 am

djemba-djemba wrote:Surely Jimmy Mullen can't have been that unpopular.
Instantly transforming a team's fortunes on taking over as manager with 7 straight wins, then storming to the title and later achieving a 2nd promotion at Wembley with an average side must have got him some credit with the players.
That's what amazed me - he doesn't get credit with the players. What he did was stopped us playing football through the midfield which we were trying to do under Casper and we started lumping it forward using the pace of Francis and Harper on the wings. It was very basic football but it worked at that level.