Burnley looking to redevelop the Cricket Field stand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Re: Burnley looking to redevelop the Cricket Field stand

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:38 am

ClaretTony wrote:No inference that it wouldn't be safe, but that building regs wouldn't allow it now.

As for incentives to the cricket club, I'm not sure how much land you could take from them before it has a damaging effect on their ground. We bought some extra land off them to build the current cricket field stand which goes further back than the old covered terrace did.
I genuinely appreciate the dialogue CT, so forgive me if I go astray.

Why wouldn't building regs allow it now? I would think that had something to do with safety, rather than aesthetics.

Enough land to make the cricket club relocate...through incentivisation, not bullying.

UTC!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am

Burnley as a Town regards planning of anything that Benefits the Residents of Burnley is in the Dark ages.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 am

Duffer_ wrote:Why wouldn't building regs allow it now?
No idea - just what I was told.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:50 am

The opportunity has been missed now with building of those corner stands, which while meeting a specific and just requirement are a crap solution that deeply impinge opportunity. It would have been much better (and costlier I accept) to take 10+rows from the bottom of Jimmy Mac and Longside (everyone gets wet there anyhow) move the pitch into that space whilst aligning those 2 stands and link them by putting a proper continuous corner in, this leaves space in front of the existing Cricket field to expand into and even create a continuous corner into the longside. The accessible seating could be provided in front of the hospitality boxes down the length and breadth of the pitch from simple ramps (and room for appropriate facilities) therefore meeting the legal requirements much more in the spirit they were made. If required new rows of seating could be but in the front of the Bob Lord.

Instead we continue without any coherent plan - the façade of the new ticket office tells you that - when what we did with the club shop was so promising too

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:54 am

Chester Perry wrote:The opportunity has been missed now with building of those corner stands, which while meeting a specific and just requirement are a crap solution that deeply impinge opportunity. It would have been much better (and costlier I accept) to take 10+rows from the bottom of Jimmy Mac and Longside (everyone gets wet there anyhow) move the pitch into that space whilst aligning those 2 stands and link them by putting a proper continuous corner in, this leaves space in front of the existing Cricket field to expand into and even create a continuous corner into the longside. The accessible seating could be provided in front of the hospitality boxes down the length and breadth of the pitch from simple ramps (and room for appropriate facilities) therefore meeting the legal requirements much more in the spirit they were made. If required new rows of seating could be but in the front of the Bob Lord.

Instead we continue without any coherent plan - the façade of the new ticket office tells you that - when what we did with the club shop was so promising too
post 52

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:21 am

tim_noone wrote:post 52
It wasn't always so - but they got so much wrong in the 60's and 70's (Market hall demolition, the shopping centres, everything around the culvert roundabout and Trafalgar flats to name a few) that they have never recovered as more recently seen with the front of Burnley Central Library, the Bus Station (both incarnations) and the replacement for the Mitre - never mind the nasty signage on the front of most town centre buildings which they could have easily regulated better)
This user liked this post: tim_noone

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:33 am

Chester what is it about the new corner builds that would stop them doing something similar to what you suggest in the future? I would guess at finance but they look to me , with maybe a few changes that your suggestion would be possible. I have no idea about the financial or structural realities but I would hope that we do in deed have some longer term plan for the Turf which includes something similar. We won’t be going further back with the cricketfiels so forwards or stay with he same footprint would be our only option

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:41 am

You would probably have to rip them out - not even convinced the (very expensive) foundations can be reused

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 am

BCC make their money from pints and parking. Move them to another location but build them a pub in the new fans village area which could be build where the CF is. They could own pub and not reduce their match day income. In fact it could be increased if a fan village drew in the fans pre match.

It would be peanuts for BFC but it’s big money for BCC

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am

Absolutely no chance off the cricket club selling up

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:45 am

Local cricketer wrote:Absolutely no chance off the cricket club selling up
What makes you say that?

UTC!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:53 am

Duffer_ wrote:What makes you say that?

UTC!
Because they would have to be daft as a brush to cut off the best income stream a cricket club has got in this country.

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:58 am

Duffer_ wrote:What makes you say that?

UTC!

The new ground would have to be built to be guaranteed to be a ground capable of hosting county cricket. As a current member if it ever got to a vote I'd be against selling up

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:01 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Because they would have to be daft as a brush to cut off the best income stream a cricket club has got in this country.
So you wouldn't swap an uncertain £50k per year for £1m? The numbers are purely illustrative...just saying the finances of this thing are evidently surmountable.

UTC!

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:03 am

Duffer_ wrote:So you wouldn't swap an uncertain £50k per year for £1m? The numbers are purely illustrative...just saying the finances of this thing are evidently surmountable.

UTC!
Out of interest, would you or many other Burnley fans accept a lucrative cash offer from Tesco to move from Turf Moor?

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:04 am

Local cricketer wrote:As a current member if it ever got to a vote I'd be against selling up
Thanks for the reply. What would it take for you, personally, to vote in favour of selling up?

UTC!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:09 am

Duffer_ wrote:So you wouldn't swap an uncertain £50k per year for £1m? The numbers are purely illustrative...just saying the finances of this thing are evidently surmountable.

UTC!
No, I wouldn't if I was them as moving to a different area could be fatal for the club. You can't guarantee that area would support the club.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:14 am

Rileybobs wrote:Out of interest, would you or many other Burnley fans accept a lucrative cash offer from Tesco to move from Turf Moor?
No, nay, never. You can't tear us from our spiritual homeland. That is an outrageous thing to even suggest.

I take your point btw. My point has been that any refusal to sell on the part of the cricket club should not be financial. Burnley FC has the resources to make that irrelevant. I respect the cricket club's right to determine it's own direction.

UTC!
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Local cricketer

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:18 am

Duffer_ wrote:Thanks for the reply. What would it take for you, personally, to vote in favour of selling up?

UTC!
The current setup brings in a massive amount of money and more than they could ever dream off making during a summer. Take the football trade away and I doubt the club would be able to contend for trophies and be as successful as they are at this current point

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:18 am

Duffer_ wrote:No, nay, never. You can't tear us from our spiritual homeland. That is an outrageous thing to even suggest.

I take your point btw. My point has been that any refusal to sell on the part of the cricket club should not be financial. Burnley FC has the resources to make that irrelevant. I respect the cricket club's right to determine it's own direction.

UTC!
If the cricket club existed to turn a profit then a substantial financial offer would likely secure a deal. But the cricket club, like the football club is a community asset. It’s members are probably more interested in having a cricket club in the local vicinity than having a few million in the bank.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:19 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:No, I wouldn't if I was them as moving to a different area could be fatal for the club. You can't guarantee that area would support the club.
You have introduced new terms. I asked if you would swap an uncertain £50k pa for £1m in abstract. I didn't ask if the cricket club should move.

What is the average attendance at BCC? I am curious but also appreciate that a community club's impact is not solely measured by attendances.

UTC!

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 am

Local cricketer wrote:The current setup brings in a massive amount of money and more than they could ever dream off making during a summer. Take the football trade away and I doubt the club would be able to contend for trophies and be as successful as they are at this current point
Why not? other clubs manage it.

For that it’s worth, Burnley FC is only really any user to Burnley CC whilst it’s in the premier league.

The football club has always been next to the cricket club but it would be hard to argue that until the last few years, it has been a major cash cow for the club. Burnley CC up until recently had cash probelms.

If I was in charge at Burnley CC I’d be discussing with Burnley FC the possibility of a purpose built facility, in an appropriate spot in the town, that could be multi use and have no reliance at all on football income.

It’s actually, possibly now or never for Burnley CC also.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:55 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:Why not? other clubs manage it.

For that it’s worth, Burnley FC is only really any user to Burnley CC whilst it’s in the premier league.

The football club has always been next to the cricket club but it would be hard to argue that until the last few years, it has been a major cash cow for the club. Burnley CC up until recently had cash probelms.

If I was in charge at Burnley CC I’d be discussing with Burnley FC the possibility of a purpose built facility, in an appropriate spot in the town, that could be multi use and have no reliance at all on football income.

It’s actually, possibly now or never for Burnley CC also.
There was a time when Burnley CC wouldn’t even sell you a butty if you’d been to the football.

But they caught on eventually and it started with the parking. I know a few people who made themselves members so they could park free but I think they stopped that and charged everyone.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of their income annually comes because they are next door to the football club.

The police like that situation because they can get the away fans into there making their job easier but it is a money making situation that the cricket club would never give up lightly.

I don’t know what the situation could be if the football club did want to extend but I can’t see the cricket club willingly move away.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:58 pm

What it needs is a revolving stand that doubles as a cricket pavilion.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:03 pm

Stan Tastic wrote:What it needs is a revolving stand that doubles as a cricket pavilion.
A bit like the bread bin

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:59 pm

The stand opposite the main stand at the Sixfields in Northampton is double sided and serves as a grandstand for the adjacent Athletics Track. Surely it couldn’t be beyond the wit of an architect to design something similar at the Turf? Maybe the Pavilion could remain more or less in its original footprint, with access to the new stand from the rear.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:The stand opposite the main stand at the Sixfields in Northampton is double sided and serves as a grandstand for the adjacent Athletics Track. Surely it couldn’t be beyond the wit of an architect to design something similar at the Turf? Maybe the Pavilion could remain more or less in its original footprint, with access to the new stand from the rear.
That's a good call. Then we could pinch that strip of land where they have the nets to allow for a stand with a bit more depth and for turnstiles to be along the back and not at the sides if needs be. And this would allow us to incorporate a Pavilion for the Cricketers. I'm sure an Architect could come up with a workable plan.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:26 pm

All the designs I’ve seen for improvements to Turf Moor have looked poor. If and when we do design something, I hope we employ someone with a little more imagination.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 pm

I just hope we don’t go cheap again, like with the two 90’s stands. If we are to build something of high quality then we have to do something whilst in the Premier League, so it has to be soon.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:48 pm

Claretforever wrote:I just hope we don’t go cheap again, like with the two 90’s stands. If we are to build something of high quality then we have to do something whilst in the Premier League, so it has to be soon.
We couldn’t afford better and the chairman didn’t even want them. He wanted to bolt seats onto the terracing.

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:54 pm

I know, I’ve seen the interview explaining it all. I know we had no money and that’s my point. If we don’t do it when it’s our choice and we have the money we’ll have to do it when we’ve no choice and no money.
Last edited by Claretforever on Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:58 pm

I seem to remember that Burnley FC were/are shareholders in Burnley CC. The only potential buyer of the CC is the FC . Burnley CC would then have tons of cash and could ground share with Lowerhouse. Develop Liverpool Rd into a `proper` ground and its a win/win/win/win for FC/CC/ LHCC and the town of Burnley. But I guess that would be way too complicated for the small minded Town Council

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:40 pm

FCBurnley wrote:I seem to remember that Burnley FC were/are shareholders in Burnley CC. The only potential buyer of the CC is the FC . Burnley CC would then have tons of cash and could ground share with Lowerhouse. Develop Liverpool Rd into a `proper` ground and its a win/win/win/win for FC/CC/ LHCC and the town of Burnley. But I guess that would be way too complicated for the small minded Town Council
I’m not sure Lowerhouse wouldn’t want Burnley groundsharing

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Where would the seconds play?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:55 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Where would the seconds play?
Don’t complicate things :D :D

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1090 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:45 am

Maybe they could merge and become Lower-Burnley CC ;)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:59 am

Does nobody think it comes across a tad arrogant when there is talk of building a new stand and someone says just move the cricket club
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Does nobody think it comes across a tad arrogant when there is talk of building a new stand and someone says just move the cricket club
Yes

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:19 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Does nobody think it comes across a tad arrogant when there is talk of building a new stand and someone says just move the cricket club
100% yes - you can't just demand another company moves its premises.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:32 am

Yea.

There is more than enough space where the cricket club currently is for a new cricket ground (if they were in agreement and a new Cricket field End

Claretforever

Post by Claretforever » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 pm

Dyched wrote:Yea.

There is more than enough space where the cricket club currently is for a new cricket ground (if they were in agreement and a new Cricket field End
There’s a patch of land where their nets currently exist straight behind the CFS which would help BFC. We could then rebuild their clubhouse and stand, making it larger to incorporate a fanzone pub for our fans too.

They get a chunk of money and a new club house. All if’s but’ss and maybe’s.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:18 pm

If Burnley moved their ground out of town would the cricket club not survive,I find it very hard to believe the cricket club survives on how much beer it sells during the winter.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:30 pm

It probably does if you're a cricket fan. But it could be cost effective to relocate the CC. it would be more than stupid to expect them to downgrade, but a new ground, improved facilities could benefit BCC. BFC get to improve the CFS, and there are endless possibilities for the excess land left over for further development. Handled correctly it could and should be a win win situation.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:56 pm

It can’t be easy finding a suitable parcel of land for a new cricket ground in Burnley can it?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:14 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:It probably does if you're a cricket fan. But it could be cost effective to relocate the CC. it would be more than stupid to expect them to downgrade, but a new ground, improved facilities could benefit BCC. BFC get to improve the CFS, and there are endless possibilities for the excess land left over for further development. Handled correctly it could and should be a win win situation.

You don't have to be a cricket fan to think of football fans telling their football club to move the cricket club out of their home as arrogant.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:27 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:You don't have to be a cricket fan to think of football fans telling their football club to move the cricket club out of their home as arrogant.
That's probably true 19 years ago when we were still in the doldrums, but even cricket fans should recognise that a premier league Burnley do have a need to improve the CFS.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:29 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:That's probably true 19 years ago when we were still in the doldrums, but even cricket fans should recognise that a premier league Burnley do have a need to improve the CFS.

I guess it comes down to if you treat others with respect or have the attitude now we have money we can do what we want.

Paulclaret
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Paulclaret » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:14 am

I'm a season ticket holder at Burnley FC for over 50 years and, until I moved away from Burnley, I was a member of the cricket club as well. If the football club approached Burnley CC and asked them to move, I'd tell them where they could shove their offer. The cricket club has been there for much longer than football and it is arrogant beyond belief to expect them to move because Burnley FC have come into money.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Lord Beamish

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:20 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:That's probably true 19 years ago when we were still in the doldrums, but even cricket fans should recognise that a premier league Burnley do have a need to improve the CFS.
So you are basically saying the cricket club should have no say in the matter?

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:07 am

From looking at google maps it is conceivable that BFC could rebuild the pavilion on the corner of Belvedere Road and Harry Potts way in the car park of the club and provide parking for the Cricket club on that side of the cricket field.

its got to be quid pro quo as far as I can see - if BFC can go some way to let BCC have half of the directors car park on Harry Potts Way for a new pavilion and parking then BFC would have the space to relocate directors parking and have space for the turnstiles. the fenced area next to Belvedere Road could also be redeveloped to provide proper "in/out" parking for BCC - i.e. in on Harry Potts Way and out where the current exit is on Belvedere Road.

This would also keep the away fans in a designated pub (the new pavilion) on the right side of Turf Moor making policing easier too, and the Cricket Pavilion would also be closer to the town centre - potential to be a good evening venue all week.