Yet more bad news... hidden away.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Re: Yet more bad news... hidden away.

Post by AndyClaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:57 am

aggi wrote:That may be true if you take a very specific definition (which some of the research, often discredited, has done).

In reality though you look at stuff like Barry Bennell, etc and it happens with all races.

Sadly a lot of them, whatever race they are, have got away with it for far too long. The trouble isn't not believing people because they're accusing a certain race, it's not believing them because they're accusing adults.

Is barry bennell in a grooming gang ?
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:00 am

The OP was supposed to highlight the relatively poor coverage a crime of this magnitude has brought.

I’d hoped people would discuss why that was.

I inferred that covering it in this manner isn’t much of a change from the way it’s been handled by authorities too scared to deal with it robustly in the past.

This sort of crime, IRRESPECTIVE of who it is that commits it, is a national disgrace. Not highlighting it and reporting on it as such only plays into the hands of those who are involved, and those who may become involved in the future.

Ignore the mistakes of the past, don’t be surprised to see it all happening again.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:25 am

AndyClaret wrote:Is barry bennell in a grooming gang ?
I think they call it a network when it's white blokes who do it.
So Bennell was part of a network of child abusers because didn't they link him to a couple of other ones?
This user liked this post: AndyClaret

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:28 am

I do think there is a need to be careful about naming those accused or arrested for such crimes as mud sticks; just look at Cliff Richard and more seriously the damage done to Harvey Proctor.
So I am happy to wait until there are convictions before names are splattered over the networks

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:40 am

bobinho wrote: ...

Ignore the mistakes of the past, don’t be surprised to see it all happening again.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:10 am

There's a few reasonable points that have been made here and it is a serious issue.

1. We really don't know whether or not child abuse is more prevalent in India and Pakistan than it is in the UK. I would be cautious about jumping to conclusions on the basis of sensationalist media reports. It may be the case, but there is no meaningful evidence either way.

2. I think cultural differences are a factor in some cases although we should bear in mind that the overwhelming majority of those in communities of South Asian descent are absolutely appalled by these crimes. It is a few wicked individuals who are doing this, so whilst culture may be a part of the problem, such cultural tendencies do not lead people to commit such crimes except in a tiny minority of cases.

3. With regard to the attitude of people and media to such crimes I think there may be an issue. But the main problem arises because racists like Tommy Robinson have used this issue as an element in their racist agenda. The racists aren't really interested in child welfare, or not very much, and would overlook the issue if it wasn't for the Pakistani origin of the perpetrators. This inevitably leads to an instinctive reticence on the part of right-minded people in joining in with the racists' condemnation. No right-minded person wants to make statements that will be used by the racists. We can't be certain whether or not the media shares this reticence to report on this issue, but if it is the case then the main reason will be a reluctance to report crimes that the racists will use for their own pernicious agenda.

4. For those who are really concerned about these grooming gangs, and I think all of us must be, then we have to consider what is the best solution. Here the racists who keep drawing attention to them generally have no response as it seems likely that their aim is not to look for a solution but to foment hatred against Asian communities. If cultural differences are a problem then the most obvious solution is to try to find ways of eroding cultural barriers. Here the racist agenda is absolutely counter-productive as their aggressive attitudes towards Asian communities leads only to a strengthening those barriers. Why should such communities seek integration with people who hate them? For those who are seriously concerned about the welfare and exploitation of these young girls, then the obvious solution is to seek to strengthen friendly interaction between communities. The overwhelming majority of those who belong to communities of South Asian origin are good people who despise these awful groomers as much as we do, but the racist agenda makes successful interaction so much more difficult.
These 2 users liked this post: Rileybobs Greenmile

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5188 times
Has Liked: 804 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:47 am

Erasmus wrote: 1. We really don't know whether or not child abuse is more prevalent in India and Pakistan than it is in the UK.

No we really don't do we.

https://www.thebetterindia.com/138496/i ... law-posco/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/11/09/tim ... e-pakistan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobinho
Been Liked: 4106 times
Has Liked: 6589 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:10 am

A very well presented post Erasmus. May I just highlight and question something?

You state “We can't be certain whether or not the media shares this reticence to report on this issue, but if it is the case then the main reason will be a reluctance to report crimes that the racists will use for their own pernicious agenda“

Struggling with this I’m afraid. A reluctance to report crimes because it will incite racism? Really? Do you REALLY believe that would be the main reason?

Look. I’m not certain I know the reason behind the reluctance to give this the air time and column space it deserves, but I’m pretty sure it won’t be because us hearing about it will see TR posting some more racist drivel.
I hope you can see that by not showing the country what is happening, it only helps those responsible to continue their depravity whilst the nation is in complete ignorance of the sheer scale of this problem.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2105 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:30 am

What I do find with this is that when the crimes do come about they are usually historic crimes.This doesn’t make them any less vile but then the resident racists think that the things happening in a community 20+ years ago have not moved on and start shouting “but the pak|s all do it!!”. Have those people who keep sprouting this actually gone and got the opinions of these crimes from the people they love speaking for?

I know of a case which was not reported much about 18 months ago of a couple of men from Burnley who got away with historic crimes when they were brought up after about 25 years ... on what was pretty much a technicality. They may not have been charged in court but I do know the whole asian community of Burnley have ostricised them and look at them as if they are ****. Even if they were cleared of the charges.

Every person irrespective of race should be held accountable for crimes they commit but it’s like shouting every person that lives in a tax haven is only there to avoid tax. It’s not the case.

Maybe news outlets are less inclined to make a big fuss over these cases now after all the fuss Tommy Robinson causes not long ago at these cases which nearly ruined the cases .... all it takes is one idiot to go and start filming outside the courts or start taking pictures and it’ll mess up the justice that should be done? Maybe the news just don’t have any more information to give than what they have just now and are waiting for a more “beefed up” story til they fully go with it?