Boris or Hunt you have to pick one

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Boris or Hunt you have to pick one

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:01 pm

The Tories would have been better off going for a one nation centrist who isn't a total bell or a smarmy cardboard cut-out.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:21 pm

The final leg of the Tory leadership race will be sponsored by Stella Artois.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:09 pm

FactualFrank wrote:The final leg of the Tory leadership race will be sponsored by Stella Artois.
Well it's clearly not sponsored by carlsberg.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Doesn't matter

Whoever is in charge has to deal with reality.

Just like May did.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:26 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Though for one moment can people imagine having a similar choice between Corbyn and Dianne Abbot?
Corbyn everytime
CnL8osJWYAE7m03.jpg
CnL8osJWYAE7m03.jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 4294 times

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Boris... cannot believe I’m saying it.

One thing that has really made me sit up is both his brother and his father staying close makes a hell of a difference. Both were remainers, and there is some serious brain power between them. They will also help retard Boris’s positivity excesses behind the showboating.

It might just work a lot better than anyone expects.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:42 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Boris... cannot believe I’m saying it.

One thing that has really made me sit up is both his brother and his father staying close makes a hell of a difference. Both were remainers, and there is some serious brain power between them. They will also help retard Boris’s positivity excesses behind the showboating.

It might just work a lot better than anyone expects.
You're not the first to suggest that Alexander de Pfeffel might be steered by his father. (I wonder if folk are parroting an editorial they'd read somewhere? Wouldn't surprise me.) I don't know if you're a leave voter but there's definitely at least one brexiteer who posts on here who has made this argument, which I find odd considering most brexiteers' reflexive distaste for *caps.lock* unelected politicians shaping politics and our laws.

Jeremy Hunt/his team suggested today that Boris' excesses and temperament might make him exploitable and as such represents a possible threat to security, and it's the first and only time I've ever somewhat agreed with Hunt. Not even a debate for me.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:07 pm

Spiral wrote:You're not the first to suggest that Alexander de Pfeffel might be steered by his father. (I wonder if folk are parroting an editorial they'd read somewhere? Wouldn't surprise me.) I don't know if you're a leave voter but there's definitely at least one brexiteer who posts on here who has made this argument, which I find odd considering most brexiteers' reflexive distaste for *caps.lock* unelected politicians shaping politics and our laws.

Jeremy Hunt/his team suggested today that Boris' excesses and temperament might make him exploitable and as such represents a possible threat to security, and it's the first and only time I've ever somewhat agreed with Hunt. Not even a debate for me.
Probably me. I’m a non partisan Brexit voter. Who is more concerned with where Europe is taking us now.. federal partners, than a free market Europe. We joined the Common market, we stayed on for Europe part one. We leave with as much as part one intact as we can, is my general view.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:27 pm

Boris.

Because:

Boris is entertaining after 3 years of the Maybot. He is a Brexiteer so can see the big picture, as Brexiteers do. He is hated by the left, always a good sign, and hated by May’s chief lieutenants, another good sign. He has a track record of winning elections. He left London mayor with a 50% plus approval rate in a Labour City. He is well liked internationally (yes, really). He is optimistic, an essential part of being a leader.

Hunt is a suit. He voted Remain so either had a colossal error of judgement or does not truly believe in Brexit (it cannot be neither). His wealth makes Boris look poor (self made, sort of, but still the son of an Admiral). He is a cautious pragmatist like May, which means he will still face the reality Lancaster is so keen on banging on about (whereas Boris could circumvent it). His NHS career, which I know inside out, had very few bold strategic changes - no massive service redesign to fix the broken system (e.g. social care funding), firming up my belief he is a safe pair of hands not a bold leader. Too liberal, he is already going on about LGBT rights, all fine and dandy but there are bigger priorities, like ten million left behind northerners.

So as I said, has to be Boris.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:51 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote: all fine and dandy but there are bigger priorities, like ten million left behind northerners. So as I said, has to be Boris.
I'm sure Boris has spent many a sleepless night thinking about how to address the ten million left behind northerners.

I wouldn't put it past him to cancel northern infrastructure projects and channel the money into Heathrow on the Thames or some other equally madcap scheme.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:53 pm

As the OP
Cheers for all the input and strong points and insight / views.

What becomes clear to me is that neither is really a good option and also nobody wants Labs' JC either and everyone seems resigned to Tory rule for the foreseeable - Brexit is one huge fekup.
I think the Ireland issue is unsolveable - Europe know this and are waiting for the inevitable acceptance by the UK of a poor deal.
The Scots will then win a leave UK vote.

Cameron really has a lot to answer for starting all is. May the stool pigeon also for feking it up further.
AND the whole of our political system is at fault for this massive clusterfek that leaves us where we stand today.

The common people will suffer more and more.

HunterST_BFC

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:53 pm

edit - post above posted twice?

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:07 pm

HunterST_BFC wrote:The common people will suffer more and more.
Mate, the common people are the ones who created this mess. We voted brexit and we continue to elect morons who tell us what we want to hear. This mess is an indictment on the electorate. We're divided over what amount to legal technicalities, and until the demographics...ahem...'resolve', or someone comes along with sufficient charisma to successfully convince leavers that we're not leaving - and do so without causing their gammon to flare up and do something stupid like elect a fascist as PM - we're stuck in this cycle.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

HunterST_BFC

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Spiral wrote:Mate, the common people are the ones who created this mess. We voted brexit and we continue to elect morons who tell us what we want to hear. This mess is an indictment on the electorate. We're divided over what amount to legal technicalities, and until the demographics...ahem...'resolve', or someone comes along with sufficient charisma to successfully convince leavers that we're not leaving - and do so without causing their gammon to flare up and do something stupid like elect a fascist as PM - we're stuck in this cycle.
And when neither of the two main parties even remotely tried to inform the "common people of the truth" there lays the problem.

... now we end up without even a choice between two baffling idiots.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:21 pm

Boris, purely because he might make a big enough mess that it makes the Tories unelectable for a long time.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:37 pm

Spiral wrote:Mate, the common people are the ones who created this mess. We voted brexit and we continue to elect morons who tell us what we want to hear. This mess is an indictment on the electorate. .
It's a novel change from blaming Westminster I'll give you that Spiral.

But as every (open minded) politician knows - the electorate is always right...so I'm told

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:51 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:I'm sure Boris has spent many a sleepless night thinking about how to address the ten million left behind northerners.

I wouldn't put it past him to cancel northern infrastructure projects and channel the money into Heathrow on the Thames or some other equally madcap scheme.
Agreed. Boris just edges it on the balance of probabilities.

We are talking something on the scale of HS3 to join up Liverpool, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds and Hull. Free ports at both east and west, fast rail in between, improved motorway connectivity for workers - the kind of madcap blue sky vision only Boris could spend money on. Even if it doesn’t work, the North would be better for it.

But yes, there is a big chance it won’t happen, of course. This is about taking a punt and pushing him hard to deliver on it.

Guich
Been Liked: 472 times
Has Liked: 598 times

Post by Guich » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:08 pm

I have a colleague who's left wing, a very well educated and nice guy who's good to have a beer with. His view is that Hunt is a skilled negotiator who did a decent job (negotiation wise) with the NHS but is a remainer. As a left winger he views the EU with scepticism and, paradoxically, thinks Boris may well get us out more swiftly.

Interesting perspective I thought.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:18 pm

bobinho wrote:You are shocked that the BBC have an agenda? :?

The BBC have, for quite a while, been stoking fires, although never quite as brazen as they have recently become.
I appreciate they’re liberal and left leaning ( though they try hard for parity with new coverage etc) Though the Tory debate ( the one with BoJo) was quite appalling when they did the “ random” members of the public bit.And you feel they’re literally slavering “ Guardian like” at the first real awkward issue to hit Boris .But radio 4 and especially 5 live seem to have been given carte Blanche recently

Guppyspotter
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Guppyspotter » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:31 pm

It's a bit like asking which testicle you'd like to have removed by a sheep farmer?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:35 pm

Guich wrote:I have a colleague who's left wing, a very well educated and nice guy who's good to have a beer with. His view is that Hunt is a skilled negotiator who did a decent job (negotiation wise) with the NHS but is a remainer. As a left winger he views the EU with scepticism and, paradoxically, thinks Boris may well get us out more swiftly.

Interesting perspective I thought.
I don't really understand the focus on how quickly we leave the EU. It's a decision that's going to impact the direction of the country for the next few generations, a year here or there to do it properly shouldn't be that big an issue.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:53 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:I appreciate they’re liberal and left leaning ( though they try hard for parity with new coverage etc) Though the Tory debate ( the one with BoJo) was quite appalling when they did the “ random” members of the public bit.And you feel they’re literally slavering “ Guardian like” at the first real awkward issue to hit Boris .But radio 4 and especially 5 live seem to have been given carte Blanche recently
Do you want state media or do you want journalism? because most of the complaints about the BBC fundamentally boil down to the fact that, when the BBC actually (infrequently, but we are where we are) bothers to pull its finger out, they hold the incumbent govt to account, which is important, really, when its decisions impact a population of about 60-70 million living breathing Human beings. To paraphrase a great quote I heard a while back:- "leaders don't get chances: they get tested."
This user liked this post: Falcon

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am

Out of those 2 Boris every time. Johnson will destroy Corbyn every time where as Hunt may lose 2 or 3 times in 10.

Keeping Corbyn the biggest danger and his cronies out should be the main focus for everybody.
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:03 am

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:16 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Out of those 2 Boris every time. Johnson will destroy Corbyn every time where as Hunt may lose 2 or 3 times in 10.

Keeping Corbyn the biggest danger and his cronies out should be the main focus for everybody.
No offence, but even Ringo would destroy Corbyn ever time.

Being able to beat Corbyn at PMQs isn't a test for anyone.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:20 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:No offence, but even Ringo would destroy Corbyn ever time.

Where is Ringo?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:30 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Where is Ringo?
I think he's been busy over in Brecon protesting about yet another criminal MP who needed booting out of Parliment

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:32 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:No offence, but even Ringo would destroy Corbyn ever time.

I was thinking more in a general election

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:45 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:I was thinking more in a general election
I think my point still stands!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:40 pm

Boris is going through the process of being found out. It won't surprise me at all if Hunt ends up winning this contest.

Strange that people who want to take back control of our country are terrified of Britain taking back control over our railways, postal service, and utilities. Fear at the thought of properly funded services paid for by reversing the Tory tax cuts for the rich. Anxiety at the idea of a national education service that benefits everyone. So much, "please sir, may I have more austerity?"

If either Hunt or Johnson can sell their tax cuts for the rich to the electorate in an environment of ten years of service cuts for everyone else, against Corbyn's positive and progressive agenda then we deserve what we get.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Well you should know.

"Even Ringo" has had the better of you on more than one occasion........

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I think he's been busy over in Brecon protesting about yet another criminal MP who needed booting out of Parliment
Brexit Party chiefs announce they will legally challenge Peterborough by-election result

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11445 ... y-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

More about the legal challenge to May's extension of Article 50

https://youtu.be/5TsrcTBl8R8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:04 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Well you should know.

"Even Ringo" has had the better of you on more than one occasion........
I'm pleased you remember the one Ringo old chap.

I don't keep score.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:06 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm pleased you remember the one Ringo old chap.

I don't keep score.
"One".

Each day.

As for keeping score. Don't blame you. No point wallowing in self pity.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:40 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:"One".

Each day.

As for keeping score. Don't blame you. No point wallowing in self pity.
True

It would almost be as daft as blaming the EU for everything!

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Theresa May....has more brains and guts than the rest put together.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:47 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Out of those 2 Boris every time. Johnson will destroy Corbyn every time where as Hunt may lose 2 or 3 times in 10.

Yeah cos the current shower are doing such a great job of running the country. However bad Corbyn might be he'd have to go some to be worse than this lot.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:16 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Boris, purely because he might make a big enough mess that it makes the Tories unelectable for a long time.
With Abbott and Costel..... sorry, Corbyn in opposition, I don’t think that’s gonna happen anytime soon. The best chance labour are gonna get in many a year and they absolutely cannot see it and take advantage of it.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Yeah cos the current shower are doing such a great job of running the country. However bad Corbyn might be he'd have to go some to be worse than this lot.
Ironically Brexit aside ( a poison chalice for any party) the Tory govt have managed a strong economy , low interest rates low inflation high employment cut the deficit etc etc . Not bigging them Up or looking for argument but fiscally speaking it’s been a very steady ship tbf

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:11 pm

The Enclosure wrote:Theresa May....has more brains and guts than the rest put together.
Guts?

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:56 pm

Couldn't disagree more, and those who have worked with Johnson would agree with me.
Johnson is a v poor debater, hence his reluctance to engage in the leadership debates. He has no grasp or retention of detail or policy, and just tries to get through with bluster, empty latin phrases and the odd (usually ill-judged) joke.
Corbyn would be no match for Hunt (who is clever and eloquent) at all, but Johnson would constantly find himself under pressure from MPs of all political colours and would present Corbyn with so many open goals that even happless Jezza would probably hit the target from time to time.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:13 pm

For someone who is running to be prime minister Boris's ducking of the media and refusing to take part in debates is absolutely pathetic. Yet the blue rinse brigade and pig ignorant Daily Mail readers who make up the Tory membership will probably still vote for him!
Last edited by jrgbfc on Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:23 pm

I can't believe anybody is defending Hunt's role as Health Sectetary. An absolute disaster of the highest order.

Unbelievably though, BoJo would probably be an even worse PM than Hunt was Health Secretary.

So my vote goes to BoJo. Because that seems to be the thing to do at the moment. Vote for chaos. It'll at least make Wednesday afternoons on BBC Parliament more interesting. And it might actually trigger a general election, which I think is the only real way of sorting out this mess.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Claret Till I Die wrote:As is currently doing the rounds on social media.

" Choosing between those two is like choosing between the McCann's and Jimmy Saville to babysit your kids"
At least you get them back with Jimmy.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm

jrgbfc wrote:For someone who is running to be prime minister Boris's ducking of the media and refusing to take part in debates is absolutely pathetic. Yet the blue rinse brigade and pig ignorant Daily Mail readers who make up the Tory membership will probably still vote for him!
Don’t worry he’s done an interview with Laura Kuenssberg for tonight’s News at 10. Sure it’ll be riveting!

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:12 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Couldn't disagree more, and those who have worked with Johnson would agree with me.
Johnson is a v poor debater, hence his reluctance to engage in the leadership debates. He has no grasp or retention of detail or policy, and just tries to get through with bluster, empty latin phrases and the odd (usually ill-judged) joke.
Corbyn would be no match for Hunt (who is clever and eloquent) at all, but Johnson would constantly find himself under pressure from MPs of all political colours and would present Corbyn with so many open goals that even happless Jezza would probably hit the target from time to time.

I would expect you to side with Corbyn

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:19 am

I've not really been following this but did read a good comment this morning on fb.

'Why are the general public so interested in tv debates and canvassing of Hunt and Johnson when they have no influence over the leadership selection whatsoever'.

It's pointless!

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:31 am

JohnMac wrote:I've not really been following this but did read a good comment this morning on fb.

'Why are the general public so interested in tv debates and canvassing of Hunt and Johnson when they have no influence over the leadership selection whatsoever'.

It's pointless!
I’m sure people would like to hear from the two men who have our countries fate in their hands. Whether they have a choice who it is or not.

Why do you watch football if you can’t influence anything that happens on the pitch?

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 am

Oh dear. Who in Team Boris thought it was should a good idea to 'leak' that photo to the press. It looks desperate and it's also playing the public for fools. They must have though us plebs would buy it - such arrogance.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:32 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:I would expect you to side with Corbyn
What a bizarre post.
You only need to look at my posting history to see that I'm no fan of Corbyn. Even in the post that you are replying to I'm extremely uncomplimentary towards him, and I've consistently called him out for his incompetence, lack of political gravitas, his failure to process detail, and his stance on Europe.
What do you base your comment on? I'd really like to know.