Can we learn from England womens team

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Can we learn from England womens team

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:30 am

I believe we can.Break attack up quickly and get the ball out wide supporting the wide players with overlapping full backs which we have in Lowton and Taylor.
Playing early out wide instead of fifty touch between Ben and Tarks allowing opposition time to nullify our attacks
Pass and move football was pioneered by Nelson born
Jimmy Hogan who also advocated playing with wingers.
All the successful teams have played this way.
Lets hope Sean can implement these methods next season.Its great watching an England side play attacking football instead of the dross Southgate has his teams play.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Can we learn from England womens team

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:31 am

No, I don't think we need to. If we open up, we lose our shape. We lose our shape, we get battered.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:44 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:No, I don't think we need to. If we open up, we lose our shape. We lose our shape, we get battered.
Agreed. We have decent players but they are not good enough to play that style of football. Until we can afford to get (or have the will to buy) players of higher calibre we have to play to our strengths, which is what Dyche excels at. Defensive football, whilst not always pretty, is an art in itself and generally, apart from the first half of last season, we are bloody good at it.
These 2 users liked this post: bobinho evensteadiereddie

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:50 am

Yep. See the beauty in the defensive side of the game worked on and mastered. We are very good at it. It’s akso very good to watch. Sure I’d like is to play like Barcelona, but we can’t with the players we have so we maximise what we DO have. I love it.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:55 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:I believe we can.Break attack up quickly and get the ball out wide supporting the wide players with overlapping full backs which we have in Lowton and Taylor.
Playing early out wide instead of fifty touch between Ben and Tarks allowing opposition time to nullify our attacks
Pass and move football was pioneered by Nelson born
Jimmy Hogan who also advocated playing with wingers.
All the successful teams have played this way.
Lets hope Sean can implement these methods next season.Its great watching an England side play attacking football instead of the dross Southgate has his teams play.
With all due respect women's football it is a totally different sport to the men's game due to the levels of physicality, speed, strength etc.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:12 am

No

BFCmaj
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 2107 times

Post by BFCmaj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:24 am

houseboy wrote:Agreed. We have decent players but they are not good enough to play that style of football. Until we can afford to get (or have the will to buy) players of higher calibre we have to play to our strengths, which is what Dyche excels at. Defensive football, whilst not always pretty, is an art in itself and generally, apart from the first half of last season, we are bloody good at it.
I prefer watching our style of football to ‘pretty’ football.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:37 am

I’m still waiting for them to swap shirts.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:38 am

Physicality, speed and strength in the women’s game is all relative. It would only be a big deal if it was men v women. The women will look to develop the speed and strength part of their game as it continues to develop. They are learning from the men’s game, after all it is Phil Neville in charge!!

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:03 pm

BFCmaj wrote:I prefer watching our style of football to ‘pretty’ football.
Absolutely. Unless you are one of the big 6 'pretty' can get you in serious trouble. I wouldn't mind a bit more attacking stuff but pragmatism rules the day at the Turf. If you drive a Fiat you don't challenge someone with a Lamborghini to a race.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Bear in mind that the England women's team has one of the best full-backs in the world and one of the top wingers down that right flank. It's the equivalent of us having Alexander Arnold and Sterling, I'm sure if we did we'd play in a different manner.