Getting new golf clubs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Getting new golf clubs

Post by claretnproud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:59 pm

been ages since I got new clubs and am looking to get fit up with new clubs. Want to get properly measured up etc and prefer to get that done by someone who isnt just selling one make of club. Any recommendations fairly local to Burnley please.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Re: Getting new golf clubs

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Don't live locally anymore so cant help specifically but unless youre a good single figure handicapper or want to splash the cash I don't see much value in getting custom fit.

For me id get to the golf outlets attached to driving ranges and have a hit with loads of different clubs and see what feels right for you.

I'm not a fan of cavity back and not good enough to use fully bladed clubs so I find the Mizuno semi bladed irons the best. Have the MP58's which are out of production so won't be changing my irons until I really need to

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:48 pm

I got fitted by Nick Hibbert from Tour X in Wigan.

Did a bit of research and he came above some of the bigger chains who may push certain brands.

http://www.tourxgolf.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Joey Barton's a fan of Tour X !!
Closer to home, Paul McEvoy at Clitheroe GC or Sam Punchard at Burnley GC can go through the fitting process, but i think they're a bit limited in comparison with Tour X (in terms of the range of different shaft configurations etc.)

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:19 pm

Play tennis instead. You only need 1 club.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1968 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Cant help you locally as I live in Florida. However I have a fair amount of knowledge about clubs. Most of the top makers are excellent. Titleist, Ping and Honma would be my top 3 ( depending on budget) However the most important thing your fitter has to get right are the shafts. Doesnt matter what clubs you buy , the shafts have to be right and can be seriously expensive. Obviously I dont know what your playing level is but unless you are a low handicap player save your money and just get something that suits your game. Also lots of second hand bargains to be had. New clubs are a bit like new cars. Once you buy them the price drops alarmingly.Many players buy the wrong clubs and end up reselling them `because they dont work` Hit em Straight, Good luck

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:10 pm

barba wrote:I got fitted by Nick Hibbert from Tour X in Wigan.

Did a bit of research and he came above some of the bigger chains who may push certain brands.

That sounds just the job. Did you feel that the new clubs helped your game barba ?
and thanks for all replies.

corporal jones
Been Liked: 96 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by corporal jones » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:54 pm

Whatever you want to spend, cut it in half and spend the rest on lessons. In fact stick with your old clubs and spend it all on lessons, not forgetting to practice what your pro teaches you.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 pm

Dyched wrote:Play tennis instead. You only need 1 club.
Domino's even,anything but golf.
This user liked this post: Dyched

Woollyhat
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Woollyhat » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:10 pm

Hmmm.

If you’re after an online shop with a fantastic selection of used kit, golfbidder is one I have used a lot. They have pretty much everything and prices are fair, as is the condition (anything that is 8/10 or higher condition wise will look pretty much new).

That said, I totally agree with the fact that the main difference is in the shaft.

Decide if you want expert player (blades), good player (muscle back “gaming”) or beginner (big cavities - although probably 80% of golfers would benefit most from these, so beginner is prob a bad description) and then just pick the ones you like the look of most. Brand is largely irrelevant.

If you really have no idea, then shaft wise, if you’re aged between 18 and 50 and reasonably athletic, you prob want stiff, otherwise go for regular. You don’t want extra stiff unless you know you need extra stiff (if you get my drift).

You can get an excellent set of irons with good shafts for £200 no probs. Don’t buy into the hype - new clubs really are not worth it!

Most of all, enjoy it!

harpers_perm
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by harpers_perm » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:39 pm

Totally agree with the hype comment. You can get an excellent set of Adams irons and hybrids for £250. Many folk spend 2k and it won’t make them any better.

The shaft is the key, especially for me. I have a 3 quarter swing to reduce risk and a stiff flex on my driver and hybrids means I hit it straight (mostly!) and far further than most full swingers due to a lower trajectory, not pretty but very very effective.

Worth investing in a decent driver though as that’s the trouble club but I wouldn’t change my second hand Slazenger irons and sports direct £40 hybrids for anything!

Good luck anyway.

On a side note I only started playing 4 years ago and my Lord it’s addictive, I play abroad and here but not a member anywhere as like playing different courses, one of the closest is Darwen, I’d be interested to know the the heart attack rate on that back 9, it’s like an SAS course.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by barba » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:45 pm

claretnproud wrote:That sounds just the job. Did you feel that the new clubs helped your game barba ?
and thanks for all replies.
I switched from 25 year old ping eye's so definately helped my game. And if these last half the time then the cost will be worth it.

Without a fitting I would have bought the wrong club as the taylor mades id looked at were just so wrong for my swing.

You pay for the fitting so there's no pressure to buy as they get paid irrespectively unlike American Golf for example.

I did quite a bit of research beforehand and made the right decision

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:10 pm

i play off 13 so not exactly a hacker. my clubs are at least 25 plus years old so expect some improvement with new clubs, especially if fitted. Will probably get a lesson or 2 as well.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:17 pm

I have had the same Ping G2 irons for 15 years, and have been hovering on a 16 handicap. I got custom fit at Sheffield Pro Golf to treat myself last year (sorry, I know this retailer is of little use to you).

What a decision.

I had 3 options lined up, mid handicapper graphite irons. I hit them into the screen, ok, a bit better than my current ones. Then the old rogue who runs the shop said hey, why not try these steel shafted Taylor Made P790, a bit more expensive but may suit the way you whack the ball. Here we go, I thought, never in a million years will I take to steel shafted irons.

30 shots later, the computer was saying 90% of shots was a high draw with 10 yards more distance, and even the bad shots were close to target. Sucker that I am, I bought them there and then.

First 5 rounds on the course - couldn’t hit a barn door with a banjo, so to speak. Not the same flat lie on a golf course that you get in the shop. Then I figured them out and the shots got better.

To cut a long story short - I played 6 rounds last year. At the school golf day I won nearest the pin and got a day out on the Porsche track at Silverstone in a 911, a brilliant day, the school messed up making the best prize just for a nearest the pin. I also entered the Trump International Open in Aberdeen (so 2 trips up there in 4 weeks :D ) and finished third on a brutal course - won nearly £200 and bought a new rescue club with it. These clubs have transformed my game.

Sorry I can’t advise where to shop, but the moral of this long story is, get custom fit, even on an average handicap. You won’t regret it.
This user liked this post: Texanclaret16

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:52 pm

barba wrote:I got fitted by Nick Hibbert from Tour X in Wigan.

It’s Nick Hibbs. He’s excellent.
This user liked this post: barba

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1393 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:43 am

harpers_perm wrote:...a decent driver though as that’s the trouble club but I wouldn’t change my second hand Slazenger irons and sports direct £40 hybrids for anything!
I bought my first set of golf clubs around 35 years ago, a second hand set of left-handed irons named for Ben Hogan, Sam Snead, or some other American golfer, from the local golf-pro and as part of the deal he 'threw in' a 3-wood; it was a new one, but no doubt some 'no-name' cheapo; to this day I couldn't tell you what make/brand, without looking at it.
In the intervening years I've had three other sets of irons and perhaps ten or a dozen assorted woods (all secondhand) but invariably that crappy old three wood and a by now perhaps antique wooden shafted right-handed six-iron invariably return to the bag before too long.

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 699 times

Post by Bigvince » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:47 am

AfloatinClaret wrote:antique wooden shafted right-handed six-iron.
Did you say 35 years or 85? :D

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:23 am

Is there any advantage using graphite shafts for a golfer who is 50 plus ?

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2569 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:11 pm

I'm a lapsed golfer now, but those thinking you have to spend huge money on fitted clubs are wrong.

I went to a place in Garforth near Leeds (Garforth Golf Range if you're willing to travel that far) to get some new irons. He started by talking to me about what I used now, what types of shots I hit, and then gave me half a dozen clubs and a bucket of balls, and said, go and hit those and tell me what feels right.

He then came out and joined me, and there were 3 sets that felt right - Mizuno, Taylor Made and a set of Nike Irons.

He then brought out a different set of balls, with lines and markings on them, and set up a machine. He then asked me to hit more of them, with the machine recording speed, spin and trajectory. From there he recommended the Mizuno Clubs, and the data matched the way I felt when hitting them. For the record, they were the cheapest of the 6 sets that he gave me to hit with.

From there he put tape on the club and I hit some more balls, to see where I consistently hit, and he had a demonstrator club that he was able to alter there and then, and as he altered it, I hit the sweet spot more and more. The flight of the ball came lower, the spin became less, and the results were obvious. The Irons cost me around £400 fully fitted, and delivered to my home from Mizuno. They also kept a record of my settings, so if I needed a new set, or a replacement, they would just turn it round in 3 days.

In terms of impact of having fitted irons, scores came down dramatically (from 90 to very low 80's regularly) and consistency of striking improved hugely too. I'd recommend getting fitted clubs to anybody thinking about getting a new set. An 8th of an inch inset, and lie can make a huge consistent difference.
These 2 users liked this post: Duffer_ brunlea99

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:43 pm

I got my driver fitted at Garforth, same place as dande, and I had a similarly positive experience. Significantly better than when I got my irons from American Golf.

UTC!

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:07 pm

Long story sorry ha ha....
Can’t help as again don’t live local but I started about 5 years ago got some cheap Taylor made irons from eBay £100 started with a HC 28 came down to 18 within a year or two collecting prizes on the way spending that on woods and driver. I opted to get a new set of irons at Xmas as a treat to myself since I hadn’t improved for two years and went to many local fitting days around different clubs Taylor made titeless cobra etc... got loads of stats but all hard selling so didn’t go with any as they were only after my money. Went to my local pro who took me for 6 holes with my irons and a few demo irons with his tracker iPad then onto the driving range with the one I liked most no hard sell made me more relaxed and proved he was there to help me. His best bit of advice was don’t think about how much further the club will hit but how much your V changes.... in the end I opted for the Taylor made M4s £699 but the pro threw in 2 wedges used but needed and 24 Pro V 1 balls so was good to me. Took me 3 months to get fully used to the clubs but now I’m a 9 HC and love them best thing I did was get them and I wouldn’t have gone for this club had I not tried the full range. Hope that helps somewhat.
I might be back in the area for a visit soon any recommendations on courses to play?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:31 pm

Townley is in very good nick at the moment.
Further afield Clitheroe.
Use the golf now app and you can get on Townley for £11 if you choose one of the hot spot tee off times.

KeighleyClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by KeighleyClaret » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:43 am

Texanclaret16 wrote:Long story sorry ha ha....
I might be back in the area for a visit soon any recommendations on courses to play?
Come over to Keighley, really great track.

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:46 am

I too, advocate getting a fitting for clubs, especially getting the right shaft for your own game. I was struggling with my driver for a long time so deciding that it couldn't be me at fault, I went for some driver testing with my club pro in order to purchase a new one. At the time, Ping had just come out with the G25, so he had on offer the previous G20 model at a very good price. "Let me try that" I say - thinking this would be the answer to my driving problems. Tested it with all the gizmos - to no avail. "That's not working" he says, "let's try another." So I tested a Yonex and a Taylormade - to no avail. "Right", he says, "I'm going to get another driver but I don't want you to look it over, just grip it and try a few shots.". Wow, every shot down the middle without any effort. I looked - it was a Cobra. "Why am I hitting this so well ?" asks I. "It's not the fact that it's a Cobra - the key factor is that it is a ladies shaft set at 13 degrees - it suits your swing speed." Never looked back, I now have a ladies 3 wood and a couple of ladies rescue. These shafts changed my game.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:09 am

brunlea99 wrote:I too, advocate getting a fitting for clubs, especially getting the right shaft for your own game. I was struggling with my driver for a long time so deciding that it couldn't be me at fault, I went for some driver testing with my club pro in order to purchase a new one. At the time, Ping had just come out with the G25, so he had on offer the previous G20 model at a very good price. "Let me try that" I say - thinking this would be the answer to my driving problems. Tested it with all the gizmos - to no avail. "That's not working" he says, "let's try another." So I tested a Yonex and a Taylormade - to no avail. "Right", he says, "I'm going to get another driver but I don't want you to look it over, just grip it and try a few shots.". Wow, every shot down the middle without any effort. I looked - it was a Cobra. "Why am I hitting this so well ?" asks I. "It's not the fact that it's a Cobra - the key factor is that it is a ladies shaft set at 13 degrees - it suits your swing speed." Never looked back, I now have a ladies 3 wood and a couple of ladies rescue. These shafts changed my game.
Playing off the red tees must have helped a little too
This user liked this post: brunlea99

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:09 pm

KeighleyClaret wrote:Come over to Keighley, really great track.
Was looking at few I will look at that today online.

Rossendale looks nice and Nelson looks good both probably hilly which is fine. I play off 9 HC but that’s only from 2 or 3 good rounds I’m more 12-15 not a big hitter about 200-220 with driver. So a course around 6500 is about right for me ha ha.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:30 pm

Texanclaret16 wrote:Was looking at few I will look at that today online.

Rossendale looks nice and Nelson looks good both probably hilly which is fine. I play off 9 HC but that’s only from 2 or 3 good rounds I’m more 12-15 not a big hitter about 200-220 with driver. So a course around 6500 is about right for me ha ha.
If you are driving as far as Keighley you might as well go a little further and try and get on either Shipley or Bingley St Ives as both are another level up from Keighley IMO

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:31 pm

Will look at them too thanks

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:37 pm

I will probably play 5/6 courses depending on weather. Depends how long I am there for but looks like plenty of nice courses to to choose from.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:50 pm

Texanclaret16 wrote:Was looking at few I will look at that today online.

Townley would be perfect in terms of length of course.
Played Nelson a few weeks ago and it was in great condition...but with the wind blowing that front 9 is tough.
Colne and Whalley both 9 hole courses but both nice.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2290 times

Post by basil6345789 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:57 pm

All the courses around here are good - we're spoiled! I've played at Burnley (Glen View) for 56 years and still get 'round but it is tough, unless it's a quiet day, in which case there's nowhere better and the views are magnificent (great greens, too). If the weather's not kind, then head for Towneley.

Texanclaret16

Post by Texanclaret16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:24 pm

Sounds like a lot of choice which is perfect not sure yet when visiting maybe next summer now but will maybe post a link and hopefully meet up and play with some fellow clarets where available :) cheers chaps UTC