Che Adams on way to Southampton according to sky

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2489 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Re: Che Adams on way to Southampton according to sky

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:37 pm

Che Adams quote

"You can see with the track history - the number of young players they're playing, the gaffer's belief in the young players, the squad in itself - where the club is going to be. I want to be part of that."

Very hard to tell if he's signed for Southampton or Burnley based on that quote - can anyone help?

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:39 pm

I suppose it depends on how one defines young?
Most certainly we compare favourably to Southampton in those players we have under 35 years of age. :D :D

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:50 pm

Not really all that surprised.

Whenever we're in negotiations with a player who is also negotiating with Southampton, we're going to lose many more times than not. They can offer bigger wages, a more complete infrastructure, and they're more likely to be in the Premier League for longer.

The only thing we might typically be able to offer a player that Southampton might not match is a greater guarantee of first team football. But with Wood and Barnes the incumbents up front and hugely successful last season, I suspect that wasn't the case this time.

No bad thing that it's wrapped up early and we can crack on with other options.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick FactualFrank mkmel

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:22 pm

Charlie Austin must be going spare!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:28 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Che Adams quote

"You can see with the track history - the number of young players they're playing, the gaffer's belief in the young players, the squad in itself - where the club is going to be. I want to be part of that."

Very hard to tell if he's signed for Southampton or Burnley based on that quote - can anyone help?
With the style we have under Dyche we will struggle to sign exciting attacking players if anyone else is in for them.
The lad who signed for Brighton was quoted saying the attacking football the coach wanted to play was a major pull.

It might help us sign a very good defensive midfielder though. A real pit bull type.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:46 pm

New signing praises the club signing him... shocked this happens. When Mcneil was offered a new long term deal did he sign it ?

Some people really struggle coping in the transfer windows
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:58 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Some people really struggle coping in the transfer windows
True but just you keep hanging in there

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:07 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:With the style we have under Dyche we will struggle to sign exciting attacking players if anyone else is in for them.
The lad who signed for Brighton was quoted saying the attacking football the coach wanted to play was a major pull.
Is that really the case? I'm sure the ONLY reason we can't sign players is the transfer fee and/or wages.

I don't think Dyche has ever coming into the thinking of players in a negative way as to whether they sign for us.

Only the other side, it seems he is a highly praised manager and is very well liked

As for Brighton's style. They don't have one as they have just got a new manager.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:True but just you keep hanging in there

Don't you even get bored of yourself being an attention seeker ? When you have to try so hard to be funny it never is.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:24 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Don't you even get bored of yourself being an attention seeker ? When you have to try so hard to be funny it never is.
Oh dear

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Spijed wrote:Is that really the case? I'm sure the ONLY reason we can't sign players is the transfer fee and/or wages.

I don't think Dyche has ever coming into the thinking of players in a negative way as to whether they sign for us.

Only the other side, it seems he is a highly praised manager and is very well liked

As for Brighton's style. They don't have one as they have just got a new manager.
The fee and wages were well within budget for Che Adams.

Now, Dyche might not of wanted him, but history suggests he doesn't move on from targets that easy. It's the personality that attracts him.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:18 pm

Spijed wrote:Is that really the case? I'm sure the ONLY reason we can't sign players is the transfer fee and/or wages.

If I were a creative, elegant forward player I'd think twice about signing for Dyche.
This user liked this post: claretfern

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:23 pm

I doubt the issue was Dyche. More likely we had our usual below-par valuation and refused to go beyond it.

You can talk about whether that may be a “good thing” or not, but Che Adams now belongs to our rivals. And they haven’t exactly broken the bank to do it, have they?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:40 pm

SGr wrote:I doubt the issue was Dyche. More likely we had our usual below-par valuation and refused to go beyond it.

You can talk about whether that may be a “good thing” or not, but Che Adams now belongs to our rivals. And they haven’t exactly broken the bank to do it, have they?

Yep the reason was almost 100% that we low bid for him. Not a chance that the club was told via his agent he wanted to join Southampton, even back in January when we bid higher than Southampton as well as any other club who enquired and the player made no attempt for the move to happen due to where he wanted to go. It was 90% the low bid and low wage and 10% Dyche
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:45 pm

SGr wrote:You can talk about whether that may be a “good thing” or not, but Che Adams now belongs to our rivals. And they haven’t exactly broken the bank to do it, have they?
Florin Andone signed for Brighton (one of our rivals) after we were supposed to be interested in him, hardly improved their team much. Just because a player signs for a rival doesn't necessarily mean they will be any better than us.

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:50 pm

I think people focus way too much on factors other than £££ for why a player chooses one club over another. If we were even in for Adams, Southampton will have offered him a bigger wage, therefore he's gone there.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:40 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Che Adams quote

Here's another quote from him:
“It’s a huge club obviously we want to win the league, obviously it’s a lot to ask for but you have to set yourself new targets to hit and with the squad I saw here last season there is no reason why we can’t."

Very hard to tell if he's signed for Southampton or Man City based on that one.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:45 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Yep the reason was almost 100% that we low bid for him. Not a chance that the club was told via his agent he wanted to join Southampton, even back in January when we bid higher than Southampton as well as any other club who enquired and the player made no attempt for the move to happen due to where he wanted to go. It was 90% the low bid and low wage and 10% Dyche
Wait...is that an actual counter argument? You’re improving.

On a serious note, you may well be right. Nixon says we wouldn’t go that high fee wise, and Boden says the wages were within our budget, though there’s no guarantee he knows that. So that’s what I based my assumption off.

I would like to think it’s simply an issue of preference, as opposed to us not paying a pretty affordable fee...
Last edited by SGr on Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:46 pm

SGr wrote:Wait...is that an actual counter argument? You’re improving.

Call it more like you being wrong again

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:47 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Call it more like you being wrong again
Annnnnnd he’s back to his usual. We had a good run. You are his agent after all so you would know for sure that I’m wrong wouldn’t you.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:50 pm

Spijed wrote:Florin Andone signed for Brighton (one of our rivals) after we were supposed to be interested in him, hardly improved their team much. Just because a player signs for a rival doesn't necessarily mean they will be any better than us.
A fair point, but I’m pretty confident Che Adams is a better player. I’m not really hurt over Dawson signing for Watford instead of us, so it wasn’t a generalisation.

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:53 pm

SGr wrote:Annnnnnd he’s back to his usual. We had a good run. You are his agent after all so you would know for sure that I’m wrong wouldn’t you.

Think we can both agree that you wouldn't have to be his agent or someone elses agent to know you are wrong. Your form is that good you would be priced up an odds on fav in the being wrong stakes. I was just trying to help you a little then you didn't go whinging to the clubs twitter account saying how bad everything is and people laughing at you.

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:58 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Think we can both agree that you wouldn't have to be his agent or someone elses agent to know you are wrong. Your form is that good you would be priced up an odds on fav in the being wrong stakes. I was just trying to help you a little then you didn't go whinging to the clubs twitter account saying how bad everything is and people laughing at you.
Struggling to see what you mean by “form”... :lol:

Honestly mate, you spend more time on here calling people wrong than actually contributing to a debate. You don’t “know” any more than I do. Now that is a fact.

In future, if you must quote me (or anyone else) on here, try spending more time on footballing opinions rather than your usual. Hope this helps.
These 2 users liked this post: Devils_Advocate Turfytop

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:08 pm

SGr wrote:Wait...is that an actual counter argument? You’re improving.

On a serious note, you may well be right. Nixon says we wouldn’t go that high fee wise, and Boden says the wages were within our budget, though there’s no guarantee he knows that. So that’s what I based my assumption off.

I would like to think it’s simply an issue of preference, as opposed to us not paying a pretty affordable fee...
Wages might be in budget, but Southampton might not have insisted upon a relegation review clause - we will.

We just don't know. There's a ton of stuff that might influence it, including all the little details of finance like that example. What seems least likely of all is that we weren't willing to pay the same fee we reportedly paid for Chris Wood - unless we'd concluded he's not as good as Chris Wood (or likely to be).

SGr

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:33 pm

claretspice wrote:Wages might be in budget, but Southampton might not have insisted upon a relegation review clause - we will.

We just don't know. There's a ton of stuff that might influence it, including all the little details of finance like that example. What seems least likely of all is that we weren't willing to pay the same fee we reportedly paid for Chris Wood - unless we'd concluded he's not as good as Chris Wood (or likely to be).
All good points. Depends on the nature of the Wood deal though, some Leeds fans have suggested the £15m fee was very heavily instalments based, but as you say, we don’t truly know.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 pm

Well that’s 50% of our targets gone elsewhere for peanuts in the matter of 2 days, just Lansbury and Rodriguez left then we’re all out of options.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:34 pm

claretspice wrote:Wages might be in budget, but Southampton might not have insisted upon a relegation review clause - we will.
This seems to have become the new excuse as to why players may prefer not to go to Burnley.

Burnley aren't the exception with their approach to having a relegation clause, it's very standard for virtually all clubs. It may be that the player has taken the view that the clause is less likely to come into action at Southampton rather than Burnley but that's a different matter.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:29 pm

Adams and Ings- if the latter stays fit then that strikes me as an excellent strike force that will cause team’s problems next season.

Bit gutted about Adams, he was so good when he first burst onto the scene with Sheff U and has recovered after a wobble...I see him having a Troy Deeney style impact in the seasons to come. Southampton should be really pleased with themselves, after we missed out in the transfer window I thought he’d go on and score loads more goals and earn himself a larger contract elsewhere.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6417 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 pm

KRBFC wrote:Well that’s 50% of our targets gone elsewhere for peanuts in the matter of 2 days, just Lansbury and Rodriguez left then we’re all out of options.
You’re still hilarious... remind me, do you write your own material...?

;)

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:41 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Here's another quote from him:
“It’s a huge club obviously we want to win the league, obviously it’s a lot to ask for but you have to set yourself new targets to hit and with the squad I saw here last season there is no reason why we can’t."

Very hard to tell if he's signed for Southampton or Man City based on that one.
If anyone from the drug testing team see that he's in real trouble...

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:00 am

SGr wrote:Struggling to see what you mean by “form”... :lol:

Honestly mate, you spend more time on here calling people wrong than actually contributing to a debate. You don’t “know” any more than I do. Now that is a fact.

In future, if you must quote me (or anyone else) on here, try spending more time on footballing opinions rather than your usual. Hope this helps.

Well at least you got a like off the advocate ( I better not reply to him directly the mouth likes to give it but runs to mods asking for things to be deleted when it is returned) How exactly can calling you wrong be wrong ? You whine non stop on here, you don't contribute you just moan, you don't attend games but click on the team news at 2.01 on a Saturday and you are then moaning at the starting 11, there is a good chance you whinged on there about Adams yesterday. Why is it those who constantly criticise the club can't take a bit of criticism back are you that weak ? As for not knowing more than you, my Mrs knows more than you and she doesn't like football, this isn't something to brag about though.

If you don't want quoting for your stupid non stop negativity maybe give football opinions rather than just whining like a 12 yr old.
Last edited by claretonthecoast1882 on Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:46 am

Aaaaaand another UTC thread descends into petty squabbling.

Well done you 2 / 3

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:59 am

aggi wrote:This seems to have become the new excuse as to why players may prefer not to go to Burnley.

Burnley aren't the exception with their approach to having a relegation clause, it's very standard for virtually all clubs. It may be that the player has taken the view that the clause is less likely to come into action at Southampton rather than Burnley but that's a different matter.
I floated this as one of the various possible reasons why a simple "we could afford the wages Southampton are paying him" might not be a little too straightforward, not as a fact.

That said, I do think its an interesting one. It may well be standard, but there were (for example) reports that WBA didn't have them consistently, and the devil will be in the detail again (50% reduction in wages? 40%? 10%? that's all in the detail) - and of course you're quite right, players will have to also take into account the likelihood of relegation occurring. These are all points of detail that could make club X more attractive to a player than us.

SGr

Post by SGr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:52 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote: you don't attend games but click on the team news at 2.01
And with that sentence you just completely ruined your argument. Maybe I’m just wrong again though, and simply imagined all those season tickets...

You accuse me of whinging, yet all you do is whinge about me and other people on here. Makes you think.

Either way, out of my mentions please.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:54 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:Aaaaaand another UTC thread descends into petty squabbling.

Well done you 2 / 3
AGAIN.....

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:20 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Well at least you got a like off the advocate ( I better not reply to him directly the mouth likes to give it but runs to mods asking for things to be deleted when it is returned) .
When you called me a c**t yesterday I didn't complain at all. I couldn't care less if a sad git like you who goes around this board name calling and getting all bitchy calls me something.

Either someone else complained or a Mod just deleted cos maybe they don't want the board to drop down to levels of people just swearing at each other.

SGr summed you up perfectly so why don't you just take a day or two off cos you really seem to struggle on here at the moment

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:04 am

Wow. Still going. How old are you all? Your mams need to knock your heads together. And if THAT doesn't embarrass you, you're really not men at all.

Should be literally ashamed