New Number 9 at Gawthorpe this morning!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2167 times
Has Liked: 3100 times

New Number 9 at Gawthorpe this morning!

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:15 pm

:twisted: Chris Wood now wearing the number 9 shirt :twisted:
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Re: New Number 9 at Gawthorpe this morning!

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Good. It bothered me that he wore 11. 11 is for a left winger! Has McNeil taken 11 then?
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 pm

Foulthrow wrote:Good. It bothered me that he wore 11. 11 is for a left winger! Has McNeil taken 11 then?
Nope. According to the number on training top he's still number 31

Still waiting for us to sign a number 8
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:35 pm

I'm still waiting for us to sign a number 10.
This user liked this post: summitclaret

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:39 pm

I’m still waiting for us to just sign someone.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6446 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:45 pm

I'm still waiting for us to sign anyone...

[thought I'd join in..]
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:48 pm

Right_winger wrote:I’m still waiting for us to just sign someone.
Any one

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:16 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Nope. According to the number on training top he's still number 31

Still waiting for us to sign a number 8
If we sign a number 8 as good as Frank Casper we will all be happy

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:23 pm

theroyaldyche wrote:Any one
Come on down Jordan Hugill the time is right!

or failing that Andy Carroll to get the maximum usage out of our medical facilities

You did say any one

I'm still crossing my fingers for the outside, very unlikely to happen because he doesn't live around the corner from the Turf, possibility that we could sign Albian Ajeti. I only watch Super League matches once in awhile, usually when nothing else is on, but I think he could work well in our system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DC2n6HME4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He fits the mould of a mobile target man. Reasonably quick for a solid unit and although he scores a lot from headers it is a deceiving statistic. He is actually very proficient with both feet, but he sticks to doing whatever gets the job done instead of trying to be flashy when it isn't needed. He creates his fair share of chances for others and he looks better every season.

His reactions to developing situations are excellent and he is a really clever and crafty player, puts in a shift as well.

Strong and physical, which will suit our league, with the added bonus that he is young enough to develop further. A few lessons from Ash in the Dark Arts could work wonders.

Would Basel sell him for a reasonable price, £10m give or take a bit ?

I think it's a possibility, they aren't a rich club and they've just signed Kemal Ademi which will give them four and a half strikers to cover the one up top formation they usually play. Although they did bleed Southampton for Elyounoussi last year and Ajeti is an important player for them on a long contract.

Failing that, or in addition to, Callum Robinson has only received a couple of rumoured nibbles in this window. He would be daft to sign a new contract. He could probably do a job up front as our fourth choice and if anyone leaves us next year he could slot in on either wing, which would represent a bit of forward planning. With his contract situation I can't see him being worth more than £6-8m, £10m if a club bends over backwards and really pushes the generosity boat out.

Preston are in dire need of a quality striker up front. I can't imagine Nahki pushing his way past our other three and if he doesn't leave in this window or the next we will get nothing for him. Having recently voiced his desire for more playing time, which is perfectly understandable, Preston would be an ideal move. They can't afford to buy a decent striker and in comparison to their current options he would be a guaranteed first team starter and a solid step up for them.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:31 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Come on down Jordan Hugill the time is right!

or failing that Andy Carroll to get the maximum usage out of our medical facilities

You did say any one

I'm still crossing my fingers for the outside, very unlikely to happen because he doesn't live around the corner from the Turf, possibility that we could sign Albian Ajeti. I only watch Super League matches once in awhile, usually when nothing else is on, but I think he could work well in our system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_DC2n6HME4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He fits the mould of a mobile target man. Reasonably quick for a solid unit and although he scores a lot from headers it is a deceiving statistic. He is actually very proficient with both feet, but he sticks to doing whatever gets the job done instead of trying to be flashy when it isn't needed. He creates his fair share of chances for others and he looks better every season.

His reactions to developing situations are excellent and he is a really clever and crafty player, puts in a shift as well.

Strong and physical, which will suit our league, with the added bonus that he is young enough to develop further. A few lessons from Ash in the Dark Arts could work wonders.

I think it's a possibility, they aren't a rich club and they've just signed Kemal Ademi which will give them four and a half strikers to cover the one up top formation they usually play. Although they did bleed Southampton for Elyounoussi last year and Ajeti is an important player for them on a long contract.

Failing that, or in addition to, Callum Robinson has only received a couple of rumoured nibbles in this window. He would be daft to sign a new contract. He could probably do a job up front as our fourth choice and if anyone leaves us next year he could slot in on either wing, which would represent a bit of forward planning. With his contract situation I can't see him being worth more than £6-8m, £10m if a club bends over backwards and really pushes the generosity boat out.

Preston are in dire need of a quality striker up front. I can't imagine Nahki pushing his way past our other three and if he doesn't leave in this window or the next we will get nothing for him. Having recently voiced his desire for more playing time, which is perfectly understandable, Preston would be an ideal move. They can't afford to buy a decent striker and in comparison to their current options he would be a guaranteed first team starter and a solid step up for them.
Very hard to assess. Appalling defending, Nakhi Wells or John Walters would look good against that

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Down_Rover wrote:Very hard to assess. Appalling defending, Nakhi Wells or John Walters would look good against that
Nods, it would be a very big step up for him, but young strikers in our price range are pretty thin on the ground.

He isn't going to get a lot better without making a move to a better class of competition that is for sure and we would have his year long induction tenure to work with him.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 588 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:53 pm

Long Time Lurker wrote:Come on down Jordan Hugill the time is right!

You did say any one

Shocking defending, don't think we'll be looking for CB's in Switzerland! Would like to see him play against better defenders but he has a few of the attributes for Burnley & like you say, he's mentally alert, wouldn't be offside a la Wood. Still prefer Niane at Metz who can play anywhere across the front line but fear he'd be too pricey for BFC or if we want someone to supplement the striker(s), Claude Maurice at Lorient who Arsenal have already bid £6.5m for. Both young lads with a full season behind them. Both better than Robinson.

Long Time Lurker

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Down_Rover wrote:Very hard to assess. Appalling defending, Nakhi Wells or John Walters would look good against that
Sorry Rob, I didn't notice this earlier.

I think the rumour mill has Claude Maurice pegged at £15m+ with a couple of clubs supposed to be showing interest, which would be too much of a risk for us.

I've hardly seen anything of Niane, Metz seem to be easing him in gently. Following their promotion, this will probably be a better season to see what he can really do. I suspect we would struggle with the old work permit requirements if we went after him and I don't think Metz would sell him.

If I had to pick one striker from Ligue 2 then I would probably go for Florian Aye of Clermont foot. I don't think he is ready for first team duty, a Championship loan maybe, but a price of around £5m would pique my interest. I'm pretty confident that he will move in this window. It will just be a case of how much and were to.