Lancashire away at Sedburgh

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Lancashire away at Sedburgh

Post by tybfc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 am

I was fortunate to be able to take in the second day of the county championship match against Durham yesterday at Sedburgh school.

Despite visiting and playing on many local and county grounds around the country I had never been to Sedburgh so I didn't know what to expect but was totally surprised.

Out of any ground I have ever been to this must have the most picturesque setting of any from any corner of it and it was quite a dismal day.

Due to the excellent free transport arrangements set up by Lancs CCC and the Lancs MRG from both Old Trafford and Oxenholme railway station I got to the ground by train quicker than I can get to Manchester by public transport.

The facilities were first class around the ground and the scores on the first two days are a testament to the ground staff who have produced a superb track that has something in it for both batsmen and bowlers.

Lancashire should seriously consider having games here more often. Day 1 was a sell out and there were over a thousand people there yesterday on a dismal Monday. Even though this ground is just over the Lancashire / Cumbrian border and some have complained that they should play all their games inside Lancashire nobody seems to complain when they play at Aigburth (Merseyside) or Southport (Merseyside) which offer far inferior facilities to Sedburgh.

And finally well done to the school, the staff and the pupils who helped out throughout the day with smiles on their faces.

A great day out.
This user liked this post: ktclaret

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 834 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Re: Lancashire away at Sedburgh

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:36 am

Played there for Giggleswick as wicket keeper. It used to be a rapid track. Taking deliveries above my head from schoolboys.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32408 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 am

You mention Aigburth & Southport not being in Lancashire but neither is Old Trafford. The difference is that all those grounds were in the county when we started playing there.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:55 am

I laughed when BBC News Look North from Newcastle said that it was a home game for Durham but played away from the main ground because of the World Cup.
Mind you, they had us at home to Carlisle in the draw for the Carabao Cup a couple of weeks ago!

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:06 am

ClaretTony wrote:You mention Aigburth & Southport not being in Lancashire but neither is Old Trafford. The difference is that all those grounds were in the county when we started playing there.
Very true. As is playing some of the second X1 games at Todmorden.

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Texanclaret16 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Our Jimmy Anderson off injured 4 weeks before the ashes start ouch hope it’s not a bad one