Qualified coaches?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
whentheballmoves
Been Liked: 133 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Qualified coaches?

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:52 pm

Anybody who coaches junior teams (not necessarily FA qualified!) able to help?

I help coach my eldest son's U13 team. One thing to focus on is shape, as they move up to 11 a side. Doing your own job, rather than your teammate's. Something fun and simple, if possible!

We tend to rotate positions on a regular basis, rather than having a "set right back", etc.

Has anyone had similar issues in the past? Which drills or sessions did you do? Anywhere you'd recommend that doesn't charge for decent content? I'm sign up to a few, such as the coaching manual, etc. but find their free content limited.

Thanks in advance!

whentheballmoves

Re: Qualified coaches?

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:59 pm

*BUMP* Anyone?!

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:30 pm

whentheballmoves wrote:*BUMP* Anyone?!
YouTube is your friend mate.

There are LOTS of channels dedicated to all these drills.

Look up some zonal type drills and see which ones fit well with yourself.
This user liked this post: whentheballmoves

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2971 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:32 pm

Sorry ;) ;)

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:33 pm

https://youtu.be/eh6FoXehtXg

This might work well, there are A LOT of good videos on there though and I would always have a check on here and see what drills could be used when I coached a while ago.

Just remember that it will take a while for things to set in with them - so just find little drills that will all link well together you can refer back to.

Longsidelenny
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Longsidelenny » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:38 pm

Don’t take the game to serious enjoy every training session and every game moeving players from position to position is a great idea best of all make it fun for the kids anybody who is decent will be found and will get the coaching when a touch older ps keep up the good work

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:41 pm

Longsidelenny wrote:Don’t take the game to serious enjoy every training session and every game moeving players from position to position is a great idea best of all make it fun for the kids anybody who is decent will be found and will get the coaching when a touch older ps keep up the good work
I agree massively but as a coach it’s also your job to keep training fun and also help kids learn about the game as best as they can. Every kid won’t be a Ronaldo but then you also don’t want to turn up, kick a ball at a keeper for 50 mins one by one and then have a 10 min game.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:14 pm

I coach u9 so a little bit different as we work them having as much ball time as we can.

Might be stating what you already know but we work on 4/5 week blocks doing the same things. This allows those that miss a week not to miss what we did that week.

Usually find the boys whinge at week 3 that they “did this last week” but by week 5 they just turn up and get on with it without being told.

Agree about the fun element as well though. We only had 4 yesterday so had some fun with some dizzy penalties into mini pop up goals then ended with a 2v2 bit throwing in little tasks during it like 3 passes with left foot before scoring

whentheballmoves

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:20 pm

bfccrazy wrote:https://youtu.be/eh6FoXehtXg

This might work well, there are A LOT of good videos on there though and I would always have a check on here and see what drills could be used when I coached a while ago.

Just remember that it will take a while for things to set in with them - so just find little drills that will all link well together you can refer back to.
Yeah, saw that one yesterday, bfccrazy….thanks! Will add it as a favourite and keep my eye on it.

whentheballmoves

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:21 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I agree massively but as a coach it’s also your job to keep training fun and also help kids learn about the game as best as they can. Every kid won’t be a Ronaldo but then you also don’t want to turn up, kick a ball at a keeper for 50 mins one by one and then have a 10 min game.
Yeah, we want it to be fun yet meaningful, and they are a decent group of lads, with some good players, so want to see them keep developing where possible...

whentheballmoves

Post by whentheballmoves » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:23 pm

Just subscribed to that one, bfccrazy...looks good.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:52 pm

whentheballmoves wrote:Just subscribed to that one, bfccrazy...looks good.
A good drill is to have zones marked out on the pitch.

You can have a central zone where your CB’s and Strikers and CMs can go (or even have 4 CM’s against each other in a central zone more towards the half way line)- a zone marked out down the side of the pitch which is for your RM AND LB - and a Zone on the other side for your LM and RB to go against each other.

Maybe have a rule where the ball must be in each zone once before a goal can be scored and players are not allowed out of their zone. And only strikers can score in the box (obviously anybody can score but it shows the strikers have to push on and find space)

Means all your players have to keep in space and also learn their position and don’t get tempted to drift off all over the pitch - the better players also can’t then just ask for the ball and run around with it. Each position also has a direct competitor against them they have to get past or pass around them and get the ball forward to score.

Players can be moved around to experience new positions and not drift into where they feel comfortable and it can also teach different ways of getting the ball forward - either a 1v1 down the wing and a cross or passing inside to the CM who can then try and find the forward ..... or a ball/pass across from the wide player directly for the striker to run onto or 1/2 it back.

Just promote using all the different ways to get the ball forward whilst staying in your own zones of the pitch.