England v USA

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Re: England v USA

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:22 pm

England second best all over the pitch with the yanks letting us off the hook, I thought 2-0 at the start so at least we did score one goal.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:26 pm

aggi wrote:The rules changed a year ago. Not a red card anymore.
Only if the defender makes an attempt to play the ball. I'm not sure she did in this case.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4092 times
Has Liked: 6568 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:27 pm

aggi wrote:The rules changed a year ago. Not a red card anymore.
You mean I’ve been screaming my napper off at refs all this time, and I was wrong?

Not done that before... :roll:

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:30 pm

In my opinion, the better ( looking) team won ;-)

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

england were naive and not sharp enough when it mattered, at least the usa team had the right idea of sticking it in the corners to run the clock down.
Good effort overall though to reach semi final, so well done to them.

timshorts
Been Liked: 413 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Ga nederland.

Ga van der donk.

Yes, OK, she plays for arsenal, but she's got better ball control than anyone on that pitch today.

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Only if the defender makes an attempt to play the ball. I'm not sure she did in this case.
The defender wasn't making an attempt to do anything except get to the ball. The two players touched feet, both players were tripped by the collision. and it was deemed that the collision was accidental and was the defender's fault.

The red card is for when the defender is fouling with the intention of fouling; yellow is for when the foul would have been a red card offence if it hadn't been for the two facts: that it resulted in a penalty, and that the defender wasn't intending to foul.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 1099 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Clear and helpful from dsr there.
Personally, in real time, I thought it was definitely not a penalty.
I also thought that Jonathan Pearce was beyond crap. What’s that saying about an empty vessel making most noise?
The better team won - IMHO.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:09 pm

dsr wrote:The defender wasn't making an attempt to do anything except get to the ball. The two players touched feet, both players were tripped by the collision. and it was deemed that the collision was accidental and was the defender's fault.

The red card is for when the defender is fouling with the intention of fouling; yellow is for when the foul would have been a red card offence if it hadn't been for the two facts: that it resulted in a penalty, and that the defender wasn't intending to foul.
Nope.
Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.
http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... misconduct" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashingtonclaret46
Been Liked: 1829 times
Has Liked: 2623 times

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:12 pm

A USA team managed by an English lady and whose Sports Scientist also is English and both think that, because of the prevalent attitude to Womens' football in the UK, they would have been nowhere near the position that they are now in.

For all those whinging about the commentary and the comments ---did you not know that there is a volume control on all TVs and monitors and it is a really simple procedure to use it, in fact, they have a 'Mute' button which makes it even easier to watch in comfort.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2230 times
Has Liked: 2130 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 pm

Don't shoot the messenger...
Attachments
20190702_231331.jpg
20190702_231331.jpg (65.61 KiB) Viewed 1703 times
This user liked this post: The Enclosure

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:19 pm

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-gov ... misconduct

Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.
All the examples given before "etc." are for deliberate actions by the player. In cases like this one, where there is no malicious intent, the ref will usually if not always put the offence in the category of "attempt to play the ball" rather than "deliberate foul" because the law isn't clear.

Actually, I don't see why it should be a foul by the defender anyway. Both players tried to put their feet in the same place, and both players fell over.
Who decides who has priority over that bit of grass?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Soon be proper football....the Championship kick off

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1995 times
Has Liked: 1141 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Dreadful decision by somebody ( Neville ?) to give the penalty taking responsibility to our center half ( who looked utterly terrified ). Why oh why would one of the best finishers in Womans football be stood watching ? Bit like Spurs not using Kane !!! If England score the pen they win.

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:24 pm

dsr wrote:All the examples given before "etc." are for deliberate actions by the player. In cases like this one, where there is no malicious intent, the ref will usually if not always put the offence in the category of "attempt to play the ball" rather than "deliberate foul" because the law isn't clear.

Actually, I don't see why it should be a foul by the defender anyway. Both players tried to put their feet in the same place, and both players fell over.
dsr --VAR decides --rubbish isn't it. Unfortunately, that is the way that the game is going and every contact will be a foul one way or another.
I honestly think that the officials would not have given anything in this case and I also believe that the England goal would have stood.
I really don't think that VAR is doing anything to help the onfield officials, in fact, I think that is is undermining their authority.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:26 pm

dsr wrote:All the examples given before "etc." are for deliberate actions by the player. In cases like this one, where there is no malicious intent, the ref will usually if not always put the offence in the category of "attempt to play the ball" rather than "deliberate foul" because the law isn't clear.

Attacker was in front of goal, defender was behind attacker. Attacker shoots and defender accidentally collides with shooting leg, meaning she fails to strike the ball.

Weather she meant it or not and it was an attempt to play the ball she stopped England having a clear shot on goal. Can't understand how anyone can think it was a penalty. Just like if you trip someone in the middle of the pitch, doesn't matter if you mean to do it.

The comment about the red card was tongue in cheek by the way...

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:30 pm

Ashingtonclaret46 wrote:dsr --VAR decides --rubbish isn't it. Unfortunately, that is the way that the game is going and every contact will be a foul one way or another.
I honestly think that the officials would not have given anything in this case and I also believe that the England goal would have stood.
I really don't think that VAR is doing anything to help the onfield officials, in fact, I think that is is undermining their authority.
There's certainly no doubt that before VAR, that goal would have stood because the players were level, and all the pundits would have said the goal should stand because the players were level. They changed the rule years back to make "level" count as onside; before that "level" was offside. Now, if they want to specify in the laws that there is no longer any such thing as "level" for VAR, and that the laws for VAR games are different from ordinary games, then they should do so. But if they don't want to do so, then the players were still level under the existing law and the goal should have stood.

Ironically, the reason for the change re. "level" was to give forwards a better chance and th encourage goals. It seems that now they have VAR, they are going to use it to gleefully go back to the old rules and give the forwards less chance and to disallow more goals. Though presumably they will use the contact rule to give a lot more penalties to make up for it.

And as for a five minute delay to establish a "clear and obvious error" !!! There are some idiots running the game. They should have looked at both incidents twice, said "looks OK to me", and got on with it.

I don't know how long the offside took, but there was 4 minutes 56 seconds between the foul and the penalty. 7 minutes total injury time - she wasn't adding much on for subs or injuries.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:Attacker was in front of goal, defender was behind attacker. Attacker shoots and defender accidentally collides with shooting leg, meaning she fails to strike the ball.

Weather she meant it or not and it was an attempt to play the ball she stopped England having a clear shot on goal. Can't understand how anyone can think it was a penalty. Just like if you trip someone in the middle of the pitch, doesn't matter if you mean to do it.

The comment about the red card was tongue in cheek by the way...
Attacker shoots and defender accidentally collides with shooting leg. Or alternatively, defender runs towards the ball and attacker accidentally collides with standing leg. Why is the accidental clash of legs deemed to be the fault of the defender? There's too much of this "two players touched, one fell over, it's a foul by the other". If A touching B is a foul, then B touching A is a foul.

(I think you have missed out a "not" a penalty.)

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:41 pm

dsr --I agree wholeheartedly with what you say, however, those running the game and the modern fan want everything to be 100% ---why? --I don't know.
All I will say is that, in their quest for perfection ---or is it political correctness? ---- they are ruining what was once a beautiful game, however, they and the media will be more than happy.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:14 am

evensteadiereddie wrote:A lot of work to do on passing and movement but an entertaining and pretty successful campaign. They'll win the Euros.
Euro's are a great opportunity to finally lift silverware,Dutch,Germans and the French will be England's biggest threat,but home advantage is huge.

What's annoying is i didn't think the Yanks were that special tonight(particularly 2nd half) and had England been more clinical with their finishing a final beckoned.

Baffled by a centre-back taking the penalty,if Ellen White didn't want the responsibility,Lucy Bronze is arguably England's best striker of a ball.

That miss and the marginal VAR call was all that separated the sides,another one that got away. :cry:

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:19 am

Lot of respect from me for dsr on this thread. Absolutely nailed it. If an error is clear and obvious then it should take less than 30 seconds to establish. Five mins is a joke.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:28 am

I think the pundits really let themselves down after the game. The game is fighting to gain respect and for the players to be respected as equals and professionals but when one misses a penalty they started with the “she was so brave to step up”.

It really came across as defending her because she’s just a poor, poor woman trying so hard.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1168 times

Post by Falcon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:56 am

I have to say I don't agree with that.

There's been tons of times where a male footballer has had the same said about him.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:04 am

FCBurnley wrote:Dreadful decision by somebody ( Neville ?) to give the penalty taking responsibility to our center half ( who looked utterly terrified ). Why oh why would one of the best finishers in Womans football be stood watching ? Bit like Spurs not using Kane !!! If England score the pen they win.
Neville was being advised how to manage an England side by Roy Hodgson,didn't he have Harry Kane taking corners at one tournament :lol: :lol: .....soon as we got the penalty(dodgy) we were going to miss it,it's the English way. :roll:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4180 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:05 am

Men against boys

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:06 am

Sausage wrote:Lot of respect from me for dsr on this thread.
Were you a bit pished last night or was something in the sausages?

aggi
Been Liked: 2113 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:52 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:I think the pundits really let themselves down after the game. The game is fighting to gain respect and for the players to be respected as equals and professionals but when one misses a penalty they started with the “she was so brave to step up”.

It really came across as defending her because she’s just a poor, poor woman trying so hard.
That's pretty much the default from ex-pros, whether they are talking about men or women.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:11 am

tiger76 wrote:Baffled by a centre-back taking the penalty
Defenders often make good penalty takers.

Graham Alexander!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:21 am

aggi wrote:That's pretty much the default from ex-pros, whether they are talking about men or women.
Maybe in a shoot-out that has gone to sudden death and somebody has had to step up but I don’t agree when it is a penalty in normal time.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:29 am

Spijed wrote:Defenders often make good penalty takers.

Graham Alexander!
True but they are regular penalty takers,just found it strange with the amount of experience and technical skill England had available,that the CB stepped up,i know she's the skipper,but that penalty completely lacked conviction.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:44 pm

tiger76 wrote:True but they are regular penalty takers,just found it strange with the amount of experience and technical skill England had available,that the CB stepped up,i know she's the skipper,but that penalty completely lacked conviction.

Can't remember who it was now, but I recall a forward player commenting that the reason some strikers don't take penalties is because they aren't use to shooting with a "dead ball"

Ashingtonclaret46

Post by Ashingtonclaret46 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:10 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Can't remember who it was now, but I recall a forward player commenting that the reason some strikers don't take penalties is because they aren't use to shooting with a "dead ball"
Could well be true.
It had obviously been discussed after Nikita Parris had missed two penalties in thre preceding rounds. They had obviously decided that Steph Houghton would step up and do the job, unfortunately, she scuffed it and the rest is history.

dsr

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:31 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Can't remember who it was now, but I recall a forward player commenting that the reason some strikers don't take penalties is because they aren't use to shooting with a "dead ball"
Which is why goalkeepers (if they can keep the ball down) should be very good at them. They're used to kicking a dead ball very hard. (Burnley keepers especially! :twisted: )

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Defenders aren’t use to shooting at all :lol:

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:51 am

Apparently English football fans, snowflakes that they are, got upset over a USA player celebration.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:04 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Apparently English football fans, snowflakes that they are, got upset over a USA player celebration.

Hummmm bunch of pussies those Lionesses

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 1035 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:15 am

The girl obviously knocks them in for fun in training. Don’t suppose ‘nerves’ had anything to do with scuffing the shot. Only seen the slowmo once, in a pub, but it seemed to bounce at least once taking all the speed off it.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:59 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Apparently English football fans, snowflakes that they are, got upset over a USA player celebration.

I found it amusing and an original celebration,about time some humour was introduced into the game.

And we English are famed tea drinkers after all.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:08 am

I’ve heard England had a Concentration Camp celebration lined up in retaliation had we equalised.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am

It must be remembered though that most Americans still think “ f*** your queen” is some sort of knife through the heart insult . They still see the brits as red buses/red phone box/black cab tea drinkers who speak either the queens English or mockney cockney.