Villa in early again

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Villa in early again

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:55 am

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... trezeguet/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wonder who Burnley have sent over to watch the African Cup, or am I presuming too much

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Villa in early again

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:56 am

Awww

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:03 am

Shades of Fulham, and look where it got them. :)
These 2 users liked this post: creepingdeath Steve1956

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:33 am

BOOM!!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:42 am

How many times does this need to be explained?

No one is coming here early, even if we try to get it sorted. Players and their agents will leave the iron in the fire til that last moment. That’s when they will listen to our offer and not before. We will pay the least in transfer fees, and the least in wages. Simple economics dictates what happens next.
These 6 users liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46 creepingdeath rob63 ClaretTony simonclaret Darnhill Claret

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 am

Looked bang average at the World Cup and plays for a minor Turkish side. No thanks.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 pm

We'll get somewhere, eventually. If we wish.
Maybe not the big players, however, most of them take a season or more to bed in, or never make it.

Offload a handful of lesser players and go from there.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:40 pm

Heard of this guy a few years ago, didn't think much then.

Top tip: just because they're foreign/have a fancy name doesn't mean they are any good
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:47 pm

CoolClaret wrote:Heard of this guy a few years ago, didn't think much then.

Top tip: just because they're foreign/have a fancy name doesn't mean they are any good
Read the article and thought the same. Very uninspiring career so far. Maybe hell be good but it's a gamble for £8m.

Reported interest from galatasaray is his biggest achievement?

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:15 pm

jojomk1 wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... trezeguet/

Wonder who Burnley have sent over to watch the African Cup, or am I presuming too much
Keep well away from the plain this competition. Its like buying a product online, looks good but disappointing when it comes. These are highly skilled players who have no loyalty passion or desire once they get a lucrative contract

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Perhaps ignoring FFP and spending a fortune to get out of the EFL has enabled them to do their business early?

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:28 pm

jojomk1 wrote:https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... trezeguet/

It's the same bloke who played against us for Istanbul Bekshitheads isn't it? He wasn't much cop then either, think they shipped him out mid-season.

I've watched a good bit of the African Cup of nations & only a couple of players have stood out for me & they tend to be at Lazio or somewhere already, so I wouldn't imagine they'd be our thing.

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:36 pm

bobinho wrote:How many times does this need to be explained?

No one is coming here early, even if we try to get it sorted. Players and their agents will leave the iron in the fire til that last moment. That’s when they will listen to our offer and not before. We will pay the least in transfer fees, and the least in wages. Simple economics dictates what happens next.

But were not dealing with top players or even current premiership players, were dealing championship downwards in the UK and goodness knows what lower leagues abroad so your saying for argument sakes a club like us 4th straight year in the premiership cannot (for example) go to Hull and get a deal for Bowen done ? if not they finished 13 last year how low do we need to go to flex our financial muscles and get early deals done ??

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:40 pm

and also how come Brighton, Southampton and Villa (who are hardlly leading lights in the football world) doing early deals ok ? and dont say there overpaying as we know the nearer you get to that deadline day the more you overpay anyway.

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:43 pm

you know why.....................BOOM, BOOM,BOOM deals done, players in, hit the ground running and dont get yourselves in a state we were last xmas !!!!

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Yeh, just like good old Fulham. Villa already close to that number that unsettles the dressing room. The manager doesn’t strike me as the type to get loads in. Wonder if they are all his choices?

s6t9a2f3f

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Yeh, just like good old Fulham. Villa already close to that number that unsettles the dressing room. The manager doesn’t strike me as the type to get loads in. Wonder if they are all his choices?

What were Fulham supposed to do ? if they went into the premiership with the same team as winning the plays off they were relegated so at least they tried to do something about it. It went wrong and by their last game they were on their 3rd manager for the season but to have a go for trying something ? dont get it. If they went with their championship side and got relegated everyone would say it becuase they signed no new players and they tried nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:01 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:What were Fulham supposed to do ? if they went into the premiership with the same team as winning the plays off they were relegated so at least they tried to do something about it. It went wrong and by their last game they were on their 3rd manager for the season but to have a go for trying something ? dont get it. If they went with their championship side and got relegated everyone would say it becuase they signed no new players and they tried nothing !!!!!!!!!!!
Dunno, maybe sign a defence?
This user liked this post: tiger76

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:07 pm

Trying to justify us not signing players by mentioning what Fulham did last season is just pathetic .
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Ok then, let’s forget about Fulham, let’s look at Spurs!!

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Let’s see if Man U get their money’s worth this season. 4 consecutive seasons in the Premier League now for us, so the manager and board are getting this very wrong aren’t they? Every season will be a battle no matter how we do in the transfer market and if we spent every penny available it still wouldn’t guarantee another season. That would be the season when it would all go wrong and then we’d have the usual suspects still telling us where it all went wrong. Some people are never satisfied. Me, I like supporting a team that plays in the Premier League.
This user liked this post: Holtyclaret

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:55 pm

Three replies to the same post and STILL you don’t get it.

All those clubs you mention are bigger hitters than us. I know you think otherwise, and that’s fair enough, but it remains a cold hard fact. I don’t like it either.

Everyone on the entire world knows that we offer the least and pay the least. That’s EVERYONE. Everyone from EPL players to bundesliga 2 players to the southern counties league players.

When their agent tells them there is interest from Burnley, what do you think the advice will be? Go on, take a wild guess.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:01 pm

It is impossible not to enjoy a transfer window on here thanks to some of our lip tremblers

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:05 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:It is impossible not to enjoy a transfer window on here thanks to some of our lip tremblers
It’s the same posters every year. We all know now how we do business and I can’t believe any other club in this league will have a smaller budget than us. So quite why anyone is expecting early signings I don’t know.

From what I’ve heard there’s nothing close in terms of incoming players.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:06 pm

s6t9a2f3f wrote:What were Fulham supposed to do ? if they went into the premiership with the same team as winning the plays off they were relegated so at least they tried to do something about it. It went wrong and by their last game they were on their 3rd manager for the season but to have a go for trying something ? dont get it. If they went with their championship side and got relegated everyone would say it becuase they signed no new players and they tried nothing !!!!!!!!!!!
If they had spent £100m less than they did, they would have got relegated with £100m more in the bank. Who made the better effort at stopping up in 2015, us or QPR? Answer, neither really, we both went down. Who made the better effort at coming back up? We did, because QPR were bankrupt.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:34 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It’s the same posters every year. We all know now how we do business and I can’t believe any other club in this league will have a smaller budget than us. So quite why anyone is expecting early signings I don’t know.

Really? You think we'll have a smaller budget than Sheff Utd and Norwich? I think you may be trying to spin this a little too much.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm

Fulham went about it all wrong, that's the point we are trying to get into the skull of people like you, by signing the wrong players etc.

We have a method that works, as infuriating as it can be for fans, it's worked quite well.
Yet every ******* window this place is littered with people whinging their tits off about how the club does it's business.

Aside from the newly promoted Norwich, we are the only club in the PL who isn't bank rolled by mega rich owners.

Smaller clubs then us are, Brighton and Bournemouth being the main two.

If you don't like the business model at Burnley, go make yourself a billionaire and buy the club so you can show the rest of us how to do it better.
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:41 pm

aggi wrote:Really? You think we'll have a smaller budget than Sheff Utd and Norwich? I think you may be trying to spin this a little too much.
Maybe not Sheff U given all the problems there but that will change one way or the other soon.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:16 pm

ClaretTony wrote:From what I’ve heard there’s nothing close in terms of incoming players.
Not going to dispute your statement but, if correct, what have SD and the recruitment team been doing since Jan and even before then

We avoided relegation last season (a battle we know we are going to face every year) but we can't afford to tread water for another 12 months when all other teams will be strengthening

Surely analysis would have been done on potential incomings since at least the start of the new year, and that should have taken into account our small budgets for fees and wages

If there's nothing close at this stage then what has everyone in the recruitment team been doing to earn what I presume will be considerable wages

Of course I could be doing them a disservice and targets could have been identified which SD has disagreed with

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:20 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Maybe not Sheff U given all the problems there but that will change one way or the other soon.
There's no logical reason why our budget wouldn't be bigger than Norwich, as well.

All in favour of managing expectations, but there's a danger of tilting the balance too far the other way. We're not paupers, and whilst we'll always struggle to do all our business early, there's no reason why its an inevitability all of our business happens late.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:37 pm

jojomk1 wrote:Not going to dispute your statement but, if correct, what have SD and the recruitment team been doing since Jan and even before then

We avoided relegation last season (a battle we know we are going to face every year) but we can't afford to tread water for another 12 months when all other teams will be strengthening

Surely analysis would have been done on potential incomings since at least the start of the new year, and that should have taken into account our small budgets for fees and wages

If there's nothing close at this stage then what has everyone in the recruitment team been doing to earn what I presume will be considerable wages

Of course I could be doing them a disservice and targets could have been identified which SD has disagreed with
Have you considered the other side of any transfer deal, or are you just sticking all the blame on our side of it?

Potential deals hinge on various things, but commonly on other deals in a chain.
We've seen our deals not happen before because another club couldn't get theirs done.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:39 pm

jojomk1 wrote:Not going to dispute your statement but, if correct, what have SD and the recruitment team been doing since Jan and even before then

What have they been doing? I would imagine they’ve scouted a lot of players, formulated plans as to who we would want to bring in. But the chairman has said it and the manager has said it, this window will be as difficult as previous windows and it is going to be later rather than sooner. That’s how we do things and nothing will change generally.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:03 pm

We have a variation of the same excuses each season so not sure why anyone expects different.

Last year we could mix the excuses up by blaming the World Cup and being Europe.

It is what it is, I’ve stopped bothering about it.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:What have they been doing? I would imagine they’ve scouted a lot of players, formulated plans as to who we would want to bring in. But the chairman has said it and the manager has said it, this window will be as difficult as previous windows and it is going to be later rather than sooner. That’s how we do things and nothing will change generally.
There's one subtle but very important difference to the Burnley now compared to that of only four seasons ago.

Our financial circumstances are completely different and there's no reason why our business should not reflect that.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Got to be honest I feel a bit deflated with that line.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Longsider wrote:Got to be honest I feel a bit deflated with that line.
Why should you be deflated given the chairman and manager have already said the same?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:There's one subtle but very important difference to the Burnley now compared to that of only four seasons ago.

Our financial circumstances are completely different and there's no reason why our business should not reflect that.
Our chairman doesn’t see it that way though. He’s found what he thinks is the right way to do things and will continue to do it that way.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Why should you be deflated given the chairman and manager have already said the same?
Because I like to log onto this site not knowing if we might have signed someone. I now know it's unlikely for a while and I feel the anticipation has been taken away. You will be telling me next Santa doesn't exist.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:18 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Our chairman doesn’t see it that way though. He’s found what he thinks is the right way to do things and will continue to do it that way.
I fully understand that and his obvious preference to build cash reserves even further.

However, the point I'm making is that our financial situation is a million miles away from when that strategy was necessary. In our last set of financial accounts the Wage bill exceeded £81m or salaries for the first team squad of between £45k and £50k per week. There is now absolutely no need therefore to miss out on main targets simply to delay our business until the last possible moment. Convincing our fans that such a strategy is still required will be very difficult and understandably so.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:27 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:I fully understand that and his obvious preference to build cash reserves even further.

However, the point I'm making is that our financial situation is a million miles away from when that strategy was necessary. In our last set of financial accounts the Wage bill exceeded £81m or salaries for the first team squad of between £45k and £50k per week. There is now absolutely no need therefore to miss out on main targets simply to delay our business until the last possible moment. Convincing our fans that such a strategy is still required will be very difficult and understandably so.
Where is any evidence that we have missed out on main targets? Very definitely not so this summer.

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:41 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Where is any evidence that we have missed out on main targets? Very definitely not so this summer.
So we didn't even compete with Southampton for the signature of Adams?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:44 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:So we didn't even compete with Southampton for the signature of Adams?
No we didn’t

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:49 pm

Longsider wrote:Because I like to log onto this site not knowing if we might have signed someone. I now know it's unlikely for a while and I feel the anticipation has been taken away. You will be telling me next Santa doesn't exist.
Santa does exist, but the tooth fairy definitely doesn't, sorry

Royboyclaret

Post by Royboyclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:51 pm

ClaretTony wrote:No we didn’t
Right, well that's a start.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:No we didn’t
I don't blame the club really, it must be so disheartening to constantly miss out on players you want.

Better to sit back and do nothing than do something, I suppose must be the mindset.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:58 pm

I’ve not read any quotes from the chairman or manager for a while, have they come out and said that’s the policy now? Wait until the end?

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 pm

That's football fans for you......20/20 vision in hindsight!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:06 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:I’ve not read any quotes from the chairman or manager for a while, have they come out and said that’s the policy now? Wait until the end?
Manager said that our business was likely to be at the end of the window which mirrored the chairman who again said it would be a very difficult window.

Personally, I don’t get all this negativity and moaning about lack of signings. I’m looking forward to a fourth successive season watching my team in the Premier League and that’s way beyond what I could have ever wished for.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Presumably we are expecting players and clubs to lower their demands then?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Not sure it’s all negativity, Tony. Maybe some though :)

Being able to get signings in early would certainly be of benefit, assuming of course it’s the right players. Dyche himself has said that would be his preference.

Integrating players into the first team is not always, but often, quite a lengthy process with us and there have been a good few where we don’t see the benefit until the following season.

We’ve all seen the value of a good pre season for Dyche teams so I’d expect a little more value to be placed on this when it comes to signings. Some may well need to be eleventh hour but I’d hope that by now, some could be brought in during the earlier stages of pre season.

There’s no disputing our approach has worked well. As you say, it’s another year in the top flight and all of the rewards that brings with it. I’d hoped that with the increasing surplus, scouting, Rigg etc. we may start to see quicker movement in the market and the benefits that could bring to the squad.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 rob63