Petition for improved access for disabled

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32373 times
Has Liked: 5270 times

Petition for improved access for disabled

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:05 pm

Burnley fan Joe Skinner, best known for being kissed by Danny Ings a few years ago, has asked me to publicise his petition asking for improved accessibility for disabled.

The link:
https://www.change.org/p/uk-parliament- ... iple-areas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Re: Petition for improved access for disabled

Post by houseboy » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:27 pm

I can sympathise with this but what can be done about tragic weather for an event in a field? Mud is mud. I'm not entirely sure what he is expecting at an open air event in the pouring rain. I don't mean to appear unsympathetic, I'm certainly not, but some things are just very difficult or even impossible to legislate for. However the ignorance of the stewards is something that definitely needs to be looked at, if they could not help him for some reason they should have had the patience to explain. I think that was a classic example of no-one was to blame for the situation but the way it was dealt with (the reaction from the stewards) was obviously very wrong. In the bigger picture though I wish him the very best of luck with his campaign.

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:16 pm

I would have thought that the organisers of any outdoor event are obliged by the Equalities Act to provide suitable access arrangements for people with disabilities. Given the event being outdoors, the prospect of there being rain and therefore muddy conditions could reasonably have been foreseen. So while I'm happy to have signed the petition, it might actually be a more productive route to find a solicitor who is willing to take on Joe's case and threaten legal action against the organisers of the event. Many solicitors do this sort of work on a pro bono basis. Link here: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/for-the-p ... /pro-bono/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:04 pm

This organisation should be informed of what happened:

http://www.attitudeiseverything.org.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a long way to go to improve attitudes about disabled access to music venues but the situation is slowly improving with the help of organisations like the one above.