William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
ElectroClaret
Posts: 9239
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:07 pm
Been Liked: 2475 times
Has Liked: 1320 times

William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby ElectroClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:26 am

Impact of online betting?

# 2
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 380 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Hibsclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:30 am

They are blaming the reduction of limits on those betting machines. Let’s all blame the government for not being able to rip people off as much anymore. The people with the most problematic gambling addictions have had some assistance from the government and now the betting companies have a problem because they can't profit as much from them.
These 6 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret GodIsADeeJay81 Bosscat DomBFC1882 boatshed bill The Enclosure

# 3
Quickenthetempo
Posts: 8127
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:35 am
Been Liked: 1808 times
Has Liked: 1039 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:33 am

They only kept them open for them machines.

Running shops costs money and most people bet online anyhow.

# 4
Rick_Muller
Posts: 4395
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:53 am
Been Liked: 1905 times
Has Liked: 4722 times
Location: -90.000000, 0.000000

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Rick_Muller » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:35 am

Good
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank HunterST_BFC

# 5
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 380 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Hibsclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:36 am

I think this will be a snowball effect for high street bookies so that soon we are left with one or two per town

# 6
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:39 am

Before the reduction of limits on those betting machines there was still a limit of how many they could have in a shop. To get more machines the bookies would open up new shops nearby, some high streets near me had 3 of the same bookies in a short stretch. This was always going to happen once those limits came in.

# 7
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 380 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Hibsclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

Those machines are basically theft of money from people that don’t know better or can’t control an addiction. The firms are at pains to promote “when the fun stops” etc online and yet as Aggi suggests they kept making sure there was enough shops for machines where the fun never starts, never mind stops....
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

# 8
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 3770
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1265 times
Has Liked: 214 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:43 am

Give it 5 years or so when the Indian kebab shops start popping up in their places and suddenly it will be a lost tradition and seen as further dissemination of British culture with campaigns to 'save our local bookies'
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 9
Hibsclaret
Posts: 1293
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 380 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Hibsclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:45 am

I think there will, for a good time yet, be place for the odd local bookies for people who don’t use online services. I’m sure the odd one can survive without those machines...

# 10
Wile E Coyote
Posts: 5797
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:22 pm
Been Liked: 1841 times
Has Liked: 1025 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Wile E Coyote » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:49 am

be glad to see the back of them, most main streets thesedays are awful places, bookies, chicken shops, charity shops, pound shops .
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill The Enclosure

# 11
AlargeClaret
Posts: 1217
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:55 pm
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby AlargeClaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:06 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:They only kept them open for them machines.

Running shops costs money and most people bet online anyhow.


Correct

# 12
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Lots of people on here happy about this, without a thought for those losing their jobs

# 13
Claret
Posts: 432
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Claret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Grumps wrote:Lots of people on here happy about this, without a thought for those losing their jobs

I'm happy about this and I've thought about the loss of jobs and the problems that can bring, and I'm still happy about this.

# 14
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Claret wrote:I'm happy about this and I've thought about the loss of jobs and the problems that can bring, and I'm still happy about this.

Hopefully you'll never lose your job

# 15
bob-the-scutter
Posts: 1177
Joined: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:25 pm
Been Liked: 385 times
Has Liked: 902 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby bob-the-scutter » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:14 pm

Grumps wrote:Lots of people on here happy about this, without a thought for those losing their jobs

When those jobs are purposely poncing on vulnerable people to churn out as many addicts as possible and these scummy parasitic companies use this as a business plan, absolutely!!!

# 16
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 590 times
Has Liked: 1337 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Grumps wrote:Lots of people on here happy about this, without a thought for those losing their jobs


Bookies are like pubs.

They like addicts because it keeps their business ticking over.
They aren't really bothered about the damage a gambling addiction can do, because they're only really interested in the money.
They've never really done enough to help curb addictions and pay lip service to the idea when pressured.
These 2 users liked this post: bob-the-scutter jdrobbo

# 17
theroyaldyche
Posts: 2407
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:26 pm
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby theroyaldyche » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:17 pm

Bet none close down in Burnley

# 18
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Bookies are like pubs.

They like addicts because it keeps their business ticking over.
They aren't really bothered about the damage a gambling addiction can do, because they're only really interested in the money.
They've never really done enough to help curb addictions and pay lip service to the idea when pressured.

That's not the people who work in the shops though, should we close every pub because it leads to alcohol addictions, or the supermarkets who sell booze, fags and scratch cards, all of a sudden the unemployment figures have doubled. There is much could be done in the education of people about addiction, but gloating at people losing their jobs isn't a good thing.

# 19
If it be your will
Posts: 1616
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:12 am
Been Liked: 411 times
Has Liked: 476 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby If it be your will » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:29 pm

I remember, in the run up to the last election, when bookies where suggesting their staff would be made redundant if Labour won, because of Labour's policy on fixed-odds machines, and that this might make them consider their vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... s-election

Thankfully, the Tories made it policy anyway. You can't run a business that relies on the destitution of addicts to be profitable, however unfortunate it is for the staff who will inevitably lose their jobs.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

# 20
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 590 times
Has Liked: 1337 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:32 pm

Grumps wrote:That's not the people who work in the shops though, should we close every pub because it leads to alcohol addictions, or the supermarkets who sell booze, fags and scratch cards, all of a sudden the unemployment figures have doubled. There is much could be done in the education of people about addiction, but gloating at people losing their jobs isn't a good thing.


No the gloating isn't a good thing, but I've commented before about how Bookies are located in specific areas of populated areas.

You won't find one one a well to do area, but you'll find multiple ones in poorer areas because they're targeting certain areas of society, bit like a pub does.

# 21
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:06 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:No the gloating isn't a good thing, but I've commented before about how Bookies are located in specific areas of populated areas.

You won't find one one a well to do area, but you'll find multiple ones in poorer areas because they're targeting certain areas of society, bit like a pub does.

Strange thought process. Bookies have historically always been situated in town centres, not on posh leafy lanes. Iam sure even the poshest towns and cities have Bookies in exactly the same position the poor towns have them. Relatively local posh towns like Lytham, ilkley, Harrogate, and the well known Cheshire towns all have Bookies in the town centre.
Some of the best pubs in the country are in well to do areas

# 22
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby aggi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Grumps wrote:Strange thought process. Bookies have historically always been situated in town centres, not on posh leafy lanes. Iam sure even the poshest towns and cities have Bookies in exactly the same position the poor towns have them. Relatively local posh towns like Lytham, ilkley, Harrogate, and the well known Cheshire towns all have Bookies in the town centre.
Some of the best pubs in the country are in well to do areas


Not as many though. There are (or at least were) proportionally more bookies in more deprived areas.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/cu ... eprivation
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

# 23
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:36 pm

The poor areas of burnley, Accrington and Blackburn have lost pubs over the years, the only ones thriving are the gastro pubs in nice areas, look at the threads on here when people ask for recommendations to eat and drink, none of them are in Burnley Wood, stoops or shadsworth, how many Bookies are situated in these poor areas?

# 24
kentonclaret
Posts: 2293
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:06 pm
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby kentonclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:27 pm

Even with these proposed closures William Hill will still have around 1600 shops ready to take the punters cash.

Many of the 700 shops due to close were opened purely to take advantage of the growth of FOBT machines since each betting shop was limited to 4 gaming machines.
Last edited by kentonclaret on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

# 25
Royboyclaret
Posts: 1982
Joined: Sat May 21, 2016 12:57 pm
Been Liked: 721 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Royboyclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm

kentonclaret wrote:Even with these proposed closures William Hill will still have around 1600 shops ready to take the punters cash.

Many of the 700 shops due to close were opened purely to take advantage of the growth of FOBT machines since each betting shop was limited to 5 gaming machines.


And 4 of those are in Burnley, or is it 5 ?........2 in town, Duke Bar, Park Lane & is there still one close to Scott Park.

# 26
tim_noone
Posts: 10764
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2700 times
Has Liked: 9848 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby tim_noone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:02 pm

Grumps wrote:The poor areas of burnley, Accrington and Blackburn have lost pubs over the years, the only ones thriving are the gastro pubs in nice areas, look at the threads on here when people ask for recommendations to eat and drink, none of them are in Burnley Wood, stoops or shadsworth, how many Bookies are situated in these poor areas?

None ...is the Answer to Burnley wood and stoops. And councils will never permit bookies on a council estate to my knowledge. Not Daft the councils.....

# 27
tim_noone
Posts: 10764
Joined: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm
Been Liked: 2700 times
Has Liked: 9848 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby tim_noone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Royboyclaret wrote:And 4 of those are in Burnley, or is it 5 ?........2 in town, Duke Bar, Park Lane & is there still one close to Scott Park.

You missed out briercliffe road.. Padiham road and rosegrove there....

# 28
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 590 times
Has Liked: 1337 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:11 pm

Grumps wrote:The poor areas of burnley, Accrington and Blackburn have lost pubs over the years, the only ones thriving are the gastro pubs in nice areas, look at the threads on here when people ask for recommendations to eat and drink, none of them are in Burnley Wood, stoops or shadsworth, how many Bookies are situated in these poor areas?


So we've established the answer is none directly on those poorer areas, they're just skirted around the edges, close enough for the less well off to get too

# 29
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:44 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:So we've established the answer is none directly on those poorer areas, they're just skirted around the edges, close enough for the less well off to get too

Those areas you talk about will be the town centres, which if they skirt around the well off areas still have betting shops on the High Street
So the argument they target the poor areas falls down at the first hurdle
what will the next reason be, staff from the shops identifying the poor people in the high street and dragging them in

# 30
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 590 times
Has Liked: 1337 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:46 pm

Grumps wrote:Those areas you talk about will be the town centres, which if they skirt around the well off areas still have betting shops on the High Street
So the argument they target the poor areas falls down at the first hurdle
what will the next reason be, staff from the shops identifying the poor people in the high street and dragging them in


Others have already pointed out that bookies aren't solely on the high street....
Someone else stuck up a link about bookies predominantly being in less well off areas.

I've got nothing else to add tbh, bookies specifically target less well off, are located as such and now the government have cracked down they're closing some branches down.
You can argue the toss with some of the others.

Have fun.

# 31
kentonclaret
Posts: 2293
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:06 pm
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 61 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby kentonclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 pm

With the William Hill announcement today this means that a total of 2,100 shops may close with around 12,500 job losses when Ladbrokes, Corals and Betfred are included.

However, this is well short of the figure provided to the government by the bookmaking industry, in an attempt to try and persuade them to take a far more lenient approach on gaming machines, when they stated that 4,500 shops would close with up to 21,000 job losses.

# 32
evensteadiereddie
Posts: 4579
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:45 pm
Been Liked: 1373 times
Has Liked: 4207 times
Location: Staffordshire

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby evensteadiereddie » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:18 pm

What are the odds on that ?
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

# 33
bfccrazy
Posts: 4541
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:18 pm
Been Liked: 1848 times
Has Liked: 383 times
Location: Burnley

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby bfccrazy » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:52 pm

Grumps wrote:The poor areas of burnley, Accrington and Blackburn have lost pubs over the years, the only ones thriving are the gastro pubs in nice areas, look at the threads on here when people ask for recommendations to eat and drink, none of them are in Burnley Wood, stoops or shadsworth, how many Bookies are situated in these poor areas?


Rifle Volunteer is recommended a lot on here ......

# 34
South West Claret.
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby South West Claret. » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:15 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Rifle Volunteer is recommended a lot on here ......


I’m one of them.

Personally I still prefer the high street bookies over online any day for one reason as I do like to receive the cash in the hand when I win.

# 35
dandeclaret
Posts: 517
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby dandeclaret » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:07 pm

aggi wrote:Not as many though. There are (or at least were) proportionally more bookies in more deprived areas.
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/cu ... eprivation



Don't poor areas also proportionally contain more people as well? In the same way large towns and cities have big Tesco's, whilst little villages have village stores?

# 36
chipbutty
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon May 09, 2016 11:44 pm
Been Liked: 56 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby chipbutty » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:23 pm

Grumps wrote:The poor areas of burnley, Accrington and Blackburn have lost pubs over the years, the only ones thriving are the gastro pubs in nice areas, look at the threads on here when people ask for recommendations to eat and drink, none of them are in Burnley Wood, stoops or shadsworth, how many Bookies are situated in these poor areas?


I don`t know about shad, but there are no bookies up Stoops or burnley Wood

# 37
claret59
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm
Been Liked: 51 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby claret59 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:33 am

Before we get to sanctimonious let's remember that Burnley FC shirt sponsors are a betting company and the Club are therefore part of the process that is condemned on here (rightly ) that leads many people into addiction, debt, and family breakdown actively linked to the betting industry.

# 38
Grumps
Posts: 647
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:15 am
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Grumps » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:50 am

chipbutty wrote:I don`t know about shad, but there are no bookies up Stoops or burnley Wood

But yet people on here are stating as a fact Bookies target the poor areas, yet the real facts don't back their argument up, not locally anyway.
Betting is not a new thing, growing up in the 50s there were Bookies in town centres, every pub had a Bookies runner, did we suffer with the addiction then, or have we just all gone soft.

# 39
South West Claret.
Posts: 5023
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 pm
Been Liked: 693 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Devon

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby South West Claret. » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:00 am

As far as addiction today is concerned there has been an explosion of advertising which I find excessive and annoying so can see how some people can fall into addiction.

# 40
Firthy
Posts: 2308
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 am
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby Firthy » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:54 am

Let's just close everything that panders to addicts and solve the "everyone else is to blame culture"
Pubs for slcoholics
McDonald's for fat people
Chemist's for prescription drug addicts
Bookies for gambling addicts

You get the drift. People need to be responsible for their own actions and stop blaming everyone who provides thar service.

# 41
aggi
Posts: 4120
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1027 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby aggi » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:30 am

dandeclaret wrote:Don't poor areas also proportionally contain more people as well? In the same way large towns and cities have big Tesco's, whilst little villages have village stores?


The work divides England into four "deprivation quartiles" each containing approximately a quarter of the adult population so it is comparing on the basis of equal population.

# 42
GodIsADeeJay81
Posts: 3093
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:55 am
Been Liked: 590 times
Has Liked: 1337 times

Re: William Hill To Close 700 Bookies

Postby GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 am

Grumps wrote:But yet people on here are stating as a fact Bookies target the poor areas, yet the real facts don't back their argument up, not locally anyway.
Betting is not a new thing, growing up in the 50s there were Bookies in town centres, every pub had a Bookies runner, did we suffer with the addiction then, or have we just all gone soft.


https://www.yell.com/s/bookmakers-burnley.html

Have a scroll through and you'll see they aren't all in town centres as you're suggesting.


Return to “The Bee Hole End”