Cricket world cup on free to air tv

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Cricket world cup on free to air tv

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:27 pm

If England do the business against India at Fortress Edgbaston then Sky will make the final available free to air.

Good on them I say.

Get as many viewers as possible.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Re: Cricket world cup on free to air tv

Post by Foulthrow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:41 pm

Could we not also end up playing SCC (Sandpapering Crying Convicts)?

hampsteadclaret
Been Liked: 1110 times
Has Liked: 802 times

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:51 pm

We possibly could though that relies on India beating Sri Lanka (likely) and Australia losing to South Africa ( unlikely) both tomorrow.

England vs India could obviously go either way - I doubt there will be the crowd imbalance at E’ton for a semi final, that existed there when we last played India.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:55 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:England vs India could obviously go either way - I doubt there will be the crowd imbalance at E’ton for a semi final, that existed there when we last played India.
There would have to be an enquiry if there is, one ICC chap Dave Richardson said the Indian fans got up earlier to make the phone calls to get the tickets. Even though it was a ballot system and you couldn't ring a ticket hotline.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:01 pm

OK got that.
Is this correct?

India, if they win their final group match, don’t yet know where they will be playing their semi-final..(we do) had they been able to buy semi-final tickets early, would that have been a bright move?

- messy selling them on in a black market.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:42 pm

Sensible decision by the broadcasters,i assume Channel 4 will be the station,it's important that cricket is able to reach a mass audience,and let's face it England don't make the final very often,1992 was the last appearance in a World Cup Final,yes i'm aware of our T20 success but some in the game don't regard that as serious cricket yet.

hampsteadclaret

Post by hampsteadclaret » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:58 pm

Cricket some years ago knew the choice they faced - try and retain something of a mass audience by sticking with terrestrial TV/ free-to-air (BBC/ITV/Ch 4) or go for the money, the Murdoch shilling. A number of obvious results have come from that..

International Rugby Union faced much the same choice at about the same time. They thought a little differently and overall reached different conclusions.

As a result every 6 Nations match ( 15 of them) is shown live on terrestrial TV and I believe ITV has the (4 yearly) World Cup rights and covers live every England match, plus some Wales, Scotland, Ireland matches.. plus some All Blacks, Australia stuff.

Well done the RFU.

There is plenty of money in International Rugby Union still

We know which way football went.. (and Boxing, most of Golf and so on).

That ‘Crown Jewels’ list.. is it still applied.. and relevant?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:13 pm

Channel 4 have rights to the British Grand Prix the same day though. I suppose they could show the cricket on E4 or more4. Have they actually confirmed it will be available on TV? They might just make it available for free on YouTube or something.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:22 pm

It wont be broadcast live on Ch4. It will be Sky and their team covering the game but they will make it available probably using similar ways that BT have made the Champions League final available.

I'd guess they'll broadcast it on something like Sky One or their free Sports Mix channel along with a stream on YouTube

If England reached the final and I had to watch it with Ch4's coverage i'd be gutted cos the Sky team and coverage is a million miles ahead of the rest

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:37 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Channel 4 have rights to the British Grand Prix the same day though. I suppose they could show the cricket on E4 or more4. Have they actually confirmed it will be available on TV? They might just make it available for free on YouTube or something.
It is likely to be on PICK Channel 11 freeview - the decision was probably made because the Sky FI audience will be decimated by the Channel 4 broadcast of the British Grand Prix and this way they can impact that

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:It wont be broadcast live on Ch4. It will be Sky and their team covering the game but they will make it available probably using similar ways that BT have made the Champions League final available.

I'd guess they'll broadcast it on something like Sky One or their free Sports Mix channel along with a stream on YouTube

If England reached the final and I had to watch it with Ch4's coverage i'd be gutted cos the Sky team and coverage is a million miles ahead of the rest
I would agree with you on their Test Match coverage but this World cup commentary has been full of people like Michael Clarke who keep telling us what every cricketer should be doing. Rather than what is happening and why they have chose to do it.

He should be coaching if he wants to influence what they do.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I'd guess they'll broadcast it on something like Sky One or their free Sports Mix channel along with a stream on YouTube
They have indeed shown other matches on the Mix channel this world cup

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:I would agree with you on their Test Match coverage but this World cup commentary has been full of people like Michael Clarke who keep telling us what every cricketer should be doing. Rather than what is happening and why they have chose to do it.

He should be coaching if he wants to influence what they do.
Its a fair point I agree with. They have had to mix it up with all the different nations and haven't had the full A list out, plus there's not all the different session breaks to have a lot of their great features.

Not up to their usual standard but would still be disappointed to have to watch it on Ch4 instead

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:53 pm

The cricket World Cup commentators are chosen by the ICC and not sky. The comms will be the same in every country so the likes of Michael Clarke get a gig.

The only thing sky control in their coverage are the pre game bits and link sections etc.

That’s why the usual Sky crew are few and far between.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5267 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:17 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:The cricket World Cup commentators are chosen by the ICC and not sky. The comms will be the same in every country so the likes of Michael Clarke get a gig.

The only thing sky control in their coverage are the pre game bits and link sections etc.

That’s why the usual Sky crew are few and far between.
And we’ve missed Bumble
This user liked this post: Bertiebeehead

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5551 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:53 pm

hampsteadclaret wrote:Cricket some years ago knew the choice they faced - try and retain something of a mass audience by sticking with terrestrial TV/ free-to-air (BBC/ITV/Ch 4) or go for the money, the Murdoch shilling. A number of obvious results have come from that..

International Rugby Union faced much the same choice at about the same time. They thought a little differently and overall reached different conclusions.

As a result every 6 Nations match ( 15 of them) is shown live on terrestrial TV and I believe ITV has the (4 yearly) World Cup rights and covers live every England match, plus some Wales, Scotland, Ireland matches.. plus some All Blacks, Australia stuff.

Well done the RFU.

There is plenty of money in International Rugby Union still

We know which way football went.. (and Boxing, most of Golf and so on).

That ‘Crown Jewels’ list.. is it still applied.. and relevant?
The RFU aren’t as affluent as you might think.