Lewis Holtby

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
benstone12
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Lewis Holtby

Post by benstone12 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Decent central midfielder available;

Lewis Holtby is available on a free.

https://www.insidefutbol.com/2019/07/03 ... et/427029/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2320 times
Has Liked: 2696 times

Re: Lewis Holtby

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:15 pm

Is that you Lewis.?

We don't want your 3rd rate Bundesliga cack on here thanks.

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I used to watch Hamburg purely for the comedy effect of Lewis "headless chicken" Holtby. Unless we are looking to win "yards run" awards, at the cost of failing to meet consistent contributions made to other performance targets, he is the last player we should be looking at.

For some reason the Benny Hill music always played in my head whenever I watched him.

We would also have to take into account that he can be a bit "strange". He definitely doesn't fall into the destructive "mad as a box of frogs" Balotelli category, but he is certainly a law unto himself. He is ( how should I say it ) colourful and unique or surprisingly different. His heart is in the right place, but his head is frequently somewhere else.

When you factor in wages, a signing on fee, agent fee, playing expectations and other demands that relate to how good he thinks he is ( despite getting nowhere near to realising the potential he was once thought to have ) a free transfer is far too expensive for him. He could easily turn out to be a costly long term liability with infrequent glimmers of being able to justify his substantial wages, as Hamburg found out to their ongoing detriment.

I definitely don't want to see him stepping out onto a pitch in a Burnley shirt. Hard work and graft is a given with him, but there are limits to what we should be willing to sacrifice for those things and I would not be amused by all of his clownish antics if he signed for us. Sticking him in our midfield would be like rolling the dice for a good result.

He should have thanked his lucky stars and jumped at the chance to sign for Cardiff if they were interested.

benstone12
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by benstone12 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:13 pm

IF you could get him on a decent deal, he sounds like the perfect player for us. Hard yards, good fitness, experienced. Sounding more and more like a Dyche player.
I recall a certain midfielder who was also regarded a bit strange, above his station who ran around like a mad man. He turned out pretty well, despite the gushing critiscm at the time.

I do agree on this though, Hamburg were dire last season.