Aston Villa - another BOOM !!!!!!!!!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Re: Aston Villa - another BOOM !!!!!!!!!

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:30 am

It looks like I'm in a minority but I think Mings will turn out to be a pretty good signing. He never really got going at Bournemouth, in part due to that serious knee injury, but the Villa fans were massively impressed by him.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:38 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I always preferred s6t9a2f3f‘s contributions to this, and the previous MB, when he signed off as Bernie. For some reason he then started sighing off as Brian, and now he doesn’t sign off at all.
But can he reach 88 mph?
This user liked this post: Bosscat

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 pm

Is it just me that thinks they are no better off??? Spent a fortune just to stand still.

Mings, Hause and El Ghazi are just loans made permanent

Signed a 20m striker but lost Abraham (who has PL experience)

12m defender from Brentford is only 21 and he is replacing Tuanzebe who has gone back to UTD.

There's only Jota who will improve them on last season, and he isn't a PL starter. Lots of money spent, but arguably the squad is no stronger than last season.
These 4 users liked this post: Duffer_ Longsider randomclaret2 Rick_Muller

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Post by claretblue » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Villa have now agreed a £15m deal with Manchester City for Brazil Under-23 captain Douglas Luiz

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48961186" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claret10
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by claret10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:36 pm

aggi wrote:It looks like I'm in a minority but I think Mings will turn out to be a pretty good signing. He never really got going at Bournemouth, in part due to that serious knee injury, but the Villa fans were massively impressed by him.
You're not alone....pace, strength, height, good on the ball....cut the mistakes out and he has the attributes to be a very good centre half

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Villa's business so far in terms of personal (we can quibble over value for money but if they've got the cash then the key is they get the right standard of player and the right fit) so far looks very good IMO and I can see them finishing a few paces ahead of us.

I don't think they'll break the top 12 but should be comfortable around 13th-16th.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:21 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Villa's business so far in terms of personal (we can quibble over value for money but if they've got the cash then the key is they get the right standard of player and the right fit) so far looks very good IMO and I can see them finishing a few paces ahead of us.

I don't think they'll break the top 12 but should be comfortable around 13th-16th.
I think Fulham felt the same way last season and look how that turned out for them. It will all depend if the manager can get the new players to gel and play as a team, too many new faces isn't always a good thing, as SD has shown continuity is just as important.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

aggi
Been Liked: 2122 times

Post by aggi » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:07 pm

Firthy wrote:I think Fulham felt the same way last season and look how that turned out for them. It will all depend if the manager can get the new players to gel and play as a team, too many new faces isn't always a good thing, as SD has shown continuity is just as important.
I think Fulham had much less of a strategy. Villa have signed some of the influential loanees they had last year and generally made signings to replace the ones they couldn't get on loan again. In reality they'll probably only have two or three new starters at the beginning of the season and they'll be replacing players who are no longer there.

Fulham on the other hand signed a variety of players to replace those still at the club and tried to shoehorn them into the team.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Firthy wrote:I think Fulham felt the same way last season and look how that turned out for them. It will all depend if the manager can get the new players to gel and play as a team, too many new faces isn't always a good thing, as SD has shown continuity is just as important.
Villa have made 3 loan signings permanent, signed two players the manager worked with at his previous club and the other few signings are young promising signings so I would say it is nothing like Fulham.

The Fulham chairman completely undermined the Fulham manager and went over his head buying names whereas Villa's business looks like it is completely that of the managers with the support of his owner
This user liked this post: joey13