Is Attenborough right?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Is Attenborough right?

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:29 pm

“Sir David told MPs that everyone would have to play their part in the battle against climate change, and this would involve some tough decisions. He criticised airfares as too cheap, and said that these should rise to discourage flying.“

I can see the logic but I’m not sure it’s the right approach, to penalise those that might be less able to afford air travel, should prices be hiked.

Quite how doable it is from a technology perspective, I don’t know, but wouldn’t pressure be better applied to the aeroplane manufacturers, to develop more efficient or even carbon neutral aircraft?

I’m all for addressing climate issues but is disenfranchising people really the right approach? I wonder how far off, as an example, a hydrogen powered, commercial plane might be.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Re: Is Attenborough right?

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:32 pm

He’s probably clocked up more air miles than most so it’s a bit rich coming from him now he’s seen the world 5x over

That’s partly tongue in cheek
This user liked this post: DomBFC1882

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:44 pm

Celebrity Environmentalists rely on Jet Travel to get around the world lecturing people
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:45 pm

I heard that he canoes
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:48 pm

I think you're right in that the airlines should be encouraged to do more to reduce their carbon footprint.

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:50 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Celebrity Environmentalists rely on Jet Travel to get around the world lecturing people

I've been waiting a long time for Al Gore to move out of his multiple mansions and stop taking private jets all over the world. I don't think that will ever happen.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:52 pm

I agree that airfares are too cheap. Thing is we've all got used and to and almost see it as a right now to be able to jet off to Europe for a weekend away on the cheap.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm

I turn off when I read or see wealthy and privileged individuals telling us not to do the very same things that they have done or are doing.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm

It's like the multi millionaires Bono and Geldoff, pleading for the average person to give whatever they can to help solve starving across the world....

Kind of ironic when they probably have a combined worth of over 100m.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Celebrity Environmentalists rely on Jet Travel to get around the world lecturing people
true, always the patronising and extremely rich lecturing the plebs on how to behave.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:14 pm

Aye, at least blokes like Farage and Robinson are honest. They're happy to feather their own nests at other people's expense...........
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:18 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I think you're right in that the airlines should be encouraged to do more to reduce their carbon footprint.
Yes then prices would hmm Rocket!!!

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Aye, at least blokes like Farage and Robinson are honest. They're happy to feather their own nests at other people's expense...........
Why bring those couple of bellends into this? There's enough hypocrisy when it comes to those who say "do as I say, not as I do" without turning this into another Farage/Robinson thread.
These 5 users liked this post: Hapag Lloyd Stayingup GodIsADeeJay81 LeadBelly Damo

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:22 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Aye, at least blokes like Farage and Robinson are honest. They're happy to feather their own nests at other people's expense...........
Only on'es are they? Not like the sanctimoious Queen of Primrose Hill then dear Emma.

SirAlec
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by SirAlec » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:31 pm

It may seem hypocritical but the work he has done flying around the world raising awareness about plastic in the ocean and other environmental issues, I’m guessing has offset his carbon footprint? I doubt he’d of had the same impact sat In a tv studio.

If raising the cost of flights means some people have to go on holiday in the uk rather than Spain or wherever than I’m all for it.
This user liked this post: Taffy on the wing

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Stayingup wrote:Only on'es are they? Not like the sanctimoious Queen of Primrose Hill then dear Emma.
So I presume you can provide evidence of Emma Thompson "feathering her own nest at other people's expense" due to her campaigning and charity work?
She's not like Farage and Robinson at all, even if you happen to totally disagree with her views and actions.

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:37 pm

Many of the younger generation will have to miss out on gap years flying off to Australia and New Zealand and travelling the globe if they are really serious about climate change.

Whilst those on lower or average incomes will have to miss out on their foreign holidays the wealthiest in society will still be able to afford foreign travel. The cost of "saving the planet" was always going to be borne by the less well off.

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:42 pm

I disagree with putting pricing up so only the well off can travel. The aircraft manufacturers have been working at improving efficiency.

But let’s not focus on one aspect of climate change.

We all need to change. We can buy lower emission, more efficient cars. We can drive fewer miles. We can plant our gardens to feed bees and insects. And we can reduce our household waste.

If millions or even billions of individuals make personal changes, the effect will be substantial. If industry and businesses follow, we might just begin to make a difference.

What does worry me is population growth. 7.7billion people now but an additional 4billion by the end of the century. All needing food, power and transportation.
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour CJW

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:52 pm

SirAlec wrote:If raising the cost of flights means some people have to go on holiday in the uk rather than Spain or wherever than I’m all for it.
If that happened - then many holidays abroad would be the sole privilege of the upper-middle classes. I wouldn't like to be the politician who turned round to hard working people and said 'sorry, but it's Blackpool for you because we have to cutback our carbon footprint' while high earners fly off to warmer climes.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

He ought to encourage scientists, airlines and governments to develop eco fuel for planes possibly even electric. I remember a few years ago Virgin trialed a fuel based on some recycled agricultural waste.

Bacchus
Been Liked: 599 times
Has Liked: 171 times

Post by Bacchus » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:56 pm

He's probably right that we all need to fly less. Like others I'm not sure I agree that pricing some people out of it is the right was to achieve that though.

Maybe a better approach would be a system where all of our air miles are clocked and there is a limit per individual, probably with exceptions for some circumstances. I'm sure any system would be controversial and probably open to creation & exploitation of loopholes but it would seem like a fairer starting point than allowing richer people to just buy their way out of responsibility for tackling climate change.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:59 pm

There has to be a way of democratising this. A system of negative air miles, for example. The more and the further you fly, the more you pay (though I think we should also penalise short domestic flights). This way people who fly to Spain once.a year will pay standard fares, whereas those who fly more often pay many times more. This would have to be separated from work travel.
This user liked this post: If it be your will

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Funnily enough, I was thinking about this very issue last week. What I thought was instead of raising airfares why not allow each person a certain number of air miles per year. These could then be sold to people who want to fly more or have to for work reasons. That would reduce the amount of flights, if the allocation is low enough, and at the same time bring about some much needed redistribution of wealth.

SirAlec
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by SirAlec » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:If that happened - then many holidays abroad would be the sole privilege of the upper-middle classes. I wouldn't like to be the politician who turned round to hard working people and said 'sorry, but it's Blackpool for you because we have to cutback our carbon footprint' while high earners fly off to warmer climes.
I flew to Iceland last tour for £38, that’s ******* ridiculous. My old man flew from Dublin to Leeds this week for €3 yes €3!!! I’m not saying quadruple the costs of flights but something needs to be done

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm

Capping people's air miles is an idea that wouldn't get off the ground.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:08 pm

SirAlec wrote:I flew to Iceland last tour for £38, that’s ******* ridiculous. My old man flew from Dublin to Leeds this week for €3 yes €3!!! I’m not saying quadruple the costs of flights but something needs to be done
Yet if you flew from London to Glasgow it would cost more than either of those flights..

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:11 pm

The fact that flights are very often cheaper than trains suggests that something is screwed up somewhere.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:18 pm

DCWat wrote:“Sir David told MPs that everyone would have to play their part in the battle against climate change, and this would involve some tough decisions. He criticised airfares as too cheap, and said that these should rise to discourage flying.“

I can see the logic but I’m not sure it’s the right approach, to penalise those that might be less able to afford air travel, should prices be hiked.

Quite how doable it is from a technology perspective, I don’t know, but wouldn’t pressure be better applied to the aeroplane manufacturers, to develop more efficient or even carbon neutral aircraft?

I’m all for addressing climate issues but is disenfranchising people really the right approach? I wonder how far off, as an example, a hydrogen powered, commercial plane might be.
When 9/11 happened and a significant amount of aircraft were grounded the average air temperature increased.

I agree ground them all, drown a few billion people, we are ok in Burnley. To high for global warming seas to reach.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:22 pm

Those flights were cheap because others paid more.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:45 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I agree that airfares are too cheap.
Maybe. But public transport is in general, slower, more expensive, less reliable, and less comfortable and convenient than owning and running a car. So I'd start with sorting that out. And I don't mean making cars more expensive...

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:59 pm

Population control.

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Cars are far more damaging than planes, in every single regard. Limit cars to one per household, or charge double tax for each car after the first registered to that home or something. It won't ever happen because it's a massive industry and it's much easier to stop the Smiths from Burnley going to Tenerife once a year than it is for Dr Double Barrelled Name from Brighton and their sons and daughters to have Land Rover each.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 pm

The general public should not be punished wanting a annual holiday or exploring the world.

What we need to cut down on is business people taking an 8 hour flight to sit in a meeting for an hour, sign a document then go home on the 8 hour return flight the same day.

Heavy, heavy taxes on private charter planes which create a whole new flight just because the person looks down on sitting in first class or won't add an hour or two to their schedule to take an already running commercial flight.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Low cost airlines actually have the lowest carbon footprint of all airlines as they push airline manufactures to produce planes that burn less fuel and they now have lighter seats and do away with other no essentials meaning lower fuel burn, lower cost to the airline and a lower carbon footprint.
Making flights exclusively for the rich again will stop that push for aircraft that use less fuel and as well will kill economies that relay on business and tourism from air travel. I think if the UK wants to reduce its carbon footprint it needs to be looking closer to the ground. And with places like China at it large what is the real point anyway? Any saving is dwarfed by other countries actions. These celebrities keep saying that we can save the planet if everyone in the uk turns off their plugs at night but really it doesn’t scratch the surface does it. Why don’t they ever go to places like China and get them to act?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:43 pm

CombatClaret wrote:The general public should not be punished wanting a annual holiday or exploring the world.

What we need to cut down on is business people taking an 8 hour flight to sit in a meeting for an hour, sign a document then go home on the 8 hour return flight the same day.

Heavy, heavy taxes on private charter planes which create a whole new flight just because the person looks down on sitting in first class or won't add an hour or two to their schedule to take an already running commercial flight.
There is so much needless air travel. Is it really necessary for people to fly to Europe for stag/hen do's?

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 pm

jrgbfc wrote:There is so much needless air travel. Is it really necessary for people to fly to Europe for stag/hen do's?
What is deemed as 'needless'... Your opinion on a messageboard?

Bertiebeehead
Been Liked: 567 times
Has Liked: 684 times

Post by Bertiebeehead » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:55 pm

If Jurassic park is anything to go by then no.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:00 pm

duncandisorderly wrote:Cars are far more damaging than planes, in every single regard. Limit cars to one per household, or charge double tax for each car after the first registered to that home or something. It won't ever happen because it's a massive industry and it's much easier to stop the Smiths from Burnley going to Tenerife once a year than it is for Dr Double Barrelled Name from Brighton and their sons and daughters to have Land Rover each.
Really, based on miles travelled they pollute less per person.

You could ban air travel, destroy a massive part of Burnley industry.

What about make all new houses have 5kw solar on the roof, designers would organise new estates would be designed to harness renewable energy.

Think outside the box to make a difference, not within it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Laughing is right, it would be like a return to the early 70's when someone who flew to Torremolinos was considered affluent. And posh.

The ones who can afford will continue whatever.
Last edited by dougcollins on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:02 pm

jrgbfc wrote:There is so much needless air travel. Is it really necessary for people to fly to Europe for stag/hen do's?
Again this falls into quite niche travel, how many people are attending multiple foreign stag do's every year, it's a lads holiday and fairly rare.

Meanwhile there are countless business people racking up hundreds of thousands of air miles per year just to look people in the eye when they talk to them. Not to mention charter flights.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 pm

Too many people, too little trees.

Stop clearing the rain forest, the amount of people creates this demand for extra deforestation & more resources being used.

In the present day, imo anything over two kids is extremely unethical.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:Why bring those couple of bellends into this? There's enough hypocrisy when it comes to those who say "do as I say, not as I do" without turning this into another Farage/Robinson thread.

Nobody's turned it into a Farage/Robinson thread. We're discussing blatant hypocrisy and deceit - or at least the OP and several others seem to think we are.
You might support these "bellends", a few of your "likes" certainly do, you might not.
FWIW, I think Attenborough's good deeds far outweigh a few airline flights that he might or might not make.

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:27 pm

I'd love a Tesla but they're do damned expensive.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:38 pm

Bonkers absolute bonkers. Like all the other Hippy, dippy ideas people like him have. Higher air fares will hit the poorest or is it that only the rich and privileged can be allowed to fly because their carbon footprint is somehow special or exempt. Of course never mind the number of workers who will be laid off at airports, airlines, travel companies etc. Never mind that if a fewer number of people fly the number of planes flying in the air will probably remain constant because planes fly all over the world even when they are not full so they doesn't exactly help either. It won't matter to Attenborough if less planes are built meaning more laid off workers again because in his universe he thinks somehow China and India polluting the planet will be offset by people paying a 5p tax on plastic bottles. Pathetic.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 pm

Well if his idea is bonkers and pathetic, what is the alternative? To do nothing could also be seen as rather bonkers given the consequences for the world we live in.
These 2 users liked this post: CombatClaret nil_desperandum

CombatClaret

Post by CombatClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:45 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Bonkers absolute bonkers. Like all the other Hippy, dippy ideas people like him have. Higher air fares will hit the poorest or is it that only the rich and privileged can be allowed to fly because their carbon footprint is somehow special or exempt.
Many people here are saying exactly that the rich and privileged should take more of the financial burden which can then be spent on offset.
LaLigaClaret wrote: Of course never mind the number of workers who will be laid off at airports, airlines, travel companies etc.
Yes maybe the poorest will be hit in ways, coal is a among the worst polluters as a power source but no one is arguing we should not ween ourselves off coal power to protect the coal miners.
LaLigaClaret wrote: China and India polluting the planet
Whataboutery, why not lead the way in climate change and convince other to do the same through our own actions. Surely there is a lot of money in creating clean tech which can be sold to these countries. We're only on the moral high ground because we had our dirty industrial revolution earlier than everyone else.
Last edited by CombatClaret on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:48 pm

Erasmus wrote:Well if his idea is bonkers and pathetic, what is the alternative? To do nothing could also be seen as rather bonkers given the consequences for the world we live in.
I'm not advocating doing nothing but I am opposed to knee jerk ideas that don't stand up to scrutiny.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm

AndrewJB wrote:There has to be a way of democratising this. A system of negative air miles, for example. The more and the further you fly, the more you pay (though I think we should also penalise short domestic flights). This way people who fly to Spain once.a year will pay standard fares, whereas those who fly more often pay many times more. This would have to be separated from work travel.
Erasmus wrote:Funnily enough, I was thinking about this very issue last week. What I thought was instead of raising airfares why not allow each person a certain number of air miles per year. These could then be sold to people who want to fly more or have to for work reasons. That would reduce the amount of flights, if the allocation is low enough, and at the same time bring about some much needed redistribution of wealth.
duncandisorderly wrote:Cars are far more damaging than planes, in every single regard. Limit cars to one per household, or charge double tax for each car after the first registered to that home or something. It won't ever happen because it's a massive industry and it's much easier to stop the Smiths from Burnley going to Tenerife once a year than it is for Dr Double Barrelled Name from Brighton and their sons and daughters to have Land Rover each.
Ah, rationing. At last. So I'm not the only person on the planet who thinks the answer to environmental disintegration has to involve rationing.

(We shouldn't be afraid to call it that either. There's nothing wrong with rationing.)

LaLigaClaret

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:55 pm

CombatClaret wrote:Many people here are saying exactly that the rich and privileged should take more of the financial burden which can then be spent on offset.

Yes maybe the poorest will be hit in ways, coal is a among the worst polluters as a power source but no one is arguing we should not ween ourselves off coal power to protect the coal miners.

Whataboutery, why not lead the way in climate change and convince other to do the same through our own actions. Surely there is a lot of money in creating clean tech which can be sold to these countries. We're only on the moral high ground because we had our dirty industrial revolution earlier than everyone else.
The biggest polluters happen to use and produce the most coal in the world. Putting a mean spirited tax that hits the poorest in the UK is not the answer.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:59 pm

Ban all domestic flights of less than 60 minutes flight time. Catch the train instead.