Strong looking squad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Re: Strong looking squad

Post by Top Claret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:05 am

We still need to strengthen the midfield if we are to avoid relegation worries. Cork and Westwood don't have the consistency to play a full season and you can't rely on Defour, he is a crock.
Wide right Hendrick is not good enough and neither is JBG. Brady still has a lot to prove and if he doesn't this season he needs shipping out.
Lennon needs using more effectively he had a raw deal last season, due to Dyches negative pre Xmas tactics.

We need to push the boat out and purchase a proven quality central midfielder to release some pressure of Cork and Westwood, if not we will struggle again

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:39 am

Drinkwater on loan maybe?

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:21 am

From what the England camp were saying, they see Dwight as a Central Midfielder

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:28 am

ClaretAL wrote:From what the England camp were saying, they see Dwight as a Central Midfielder
Maybe in an attacking side that moves the ball quick on the deck and commits men forward but no way is McNeil a Dyche midfielder in a 4-4-2 formation

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:34 am

ClaretAL wrote:From what the England camp were saying, they see Dwight as a Central Midfielder
Where did the England camp say that ?

As for Cork being overused - played the games because nobody in current squad better. But still the guy who I would like to see replaced/improved upon

Additions so far have been ok but little improvement on starting eleven - we cannot stand still in this league, as last year showed

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 am

diamondpocket wrote:After the 2 recent signings, where else do we need strengthening?

GK: Heats, Pope, Hart
RB: Bardsley, Lowton
LB: Taylor, Pieters
CB: Mee, Tarks, Long, Gibson, Dunne
LM: Dwight, Brady
RM; JBG, Lennon
CM: Defour, Cork, Westy, Hendrick
CF: Jay, Barnes, Wood, Vydra

Missing anyone?

Looks like we have 2 for evey position at least although Lennon (quality) & Defour (injuries)are still my doubts therefore a new CM and RM for me, preferably good upcoming youngsters we can bed in and get ready for next season.
You do realise some of these are allowed to leave and we can sign better to improve the starting 11 ?
This user liked this post: Corky

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:39 am

Spijed wrote:Go on then, find some opinion from elsewhere that clearly questions our midfield and not our defence, and in particular our situation in goal, once Heaton replaced Joe Hart?
Midfield is almost always "the problem". If you don't win the ball (or lose the ball) in midfield then the defence are endlessly under pressure. I thought Cork was very disappointing last season and seemed to lose the ball from safe positions far too often. Simplistic journalism says "bad defending" or "bad attacking" based on the goals columns but watching the games tells a different story.

I would be happy to see just one wide player but that isn't Sean's way - so we need two players in the middle who are absolutely on top. Cork really wasn't last season and I hope he can do better. I have no hopes of Defour and hope he proves me wrong.

The Hart/Heaton thing is inarguable .....Heaton is a far better member of this team.

Claretforever
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 507 times

Post by Claretforever » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:43 am

Central midfield is our weakest position for me. Need a tall athletic type player, and I know that’s not easy as the quality players who can tackle, tune and pass tend to be snapped up Bury the big clubs.

It’s certainly a position we need to fill as I don’t think we win enough headers in the middle of the park, and don’t drive forward with the ball.
This user liked this post: jojomk1

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:44 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:You do realise some of these are allowed to leave and we can sign better to improve the starting 11 ?
Who's known to be available to leave? Not seen anything about that, maybe Dunne and a Keeper but I'd say the rest are here to stay this year.
Going by our recent history in the market and the difficulty we have I don't think we'll be changing any players to clearly improve the starting 11; we'll get a similar player to keep our squad competitive both in-house and on matchdays!

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:26 am

Assuming no major outgoings (Tarkowski), I think central midfield and right midfield are the priorities. Obviously Defour's injury record isn't great and Cork's form was questionable last season.

Gudmundsson is an excellent player but he's had a few injuries and Lennon just doesn't offer enough going forward. If we can address those areas (with central midfield being the most pressing area), I'll be quite happy with our transfer window activity overall.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:35 am

If Defour is indeed still recovering from his original injury of 100 years ago then we need to strengthen midfield. Even with him I think we need to do so but without him it is imperative.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 pm

Reckon the squad is our best one since we have been in the prem. One more midfielder and I reckon we are good to go.

Add to that another years experience for the ginger genius and a normal pre season. I think we could have a great season.

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:26 pm

SirAlec wrote:I think with Phil Bardsley age and the inconsistent form of Lowton a new RB is quite high on the list of priorities if not this summer than certainly next year. I can’t see Lowton improving as a footballer much further and we really need better if we are to kick on to the next level.
This is my thought exactly.

Obviously CM is also a worry, with Defour's fitness issues we only have 3 players for 2 spots and Hendirck was being preferred in a new role as a defensive winger (similar to Arfield), a role I think suits him.