Kim Darroch resigns (politics)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Kim Darroch resigns (politics)

Post by kentonclaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Kim Darroch the UK Ambassador to the US has resigned his post amid claims that Boris Johnson threw him under a bus.

I was wondering if this was a bus that Boris had made himself out of an old wine crate or as to whether it was the Vote Leave bus.

Boris Johnson is only concerned with his own personal ambition and there will be many casualties along the way.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Re: Kim Darroch resigns (politics)

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:47 pm

We know who Kim Darroch blames.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:48 pm

Was it the bus he used for his totally fabricated lies about 'spare' EU savings he will put to the NHS?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:53 pm

Sad decision. Especially if, as the media are pushing, he jumped because Bojo didn’t back him last night.
He should have stayed in situ and forced Bojo to back him or sack him. Made him show what sort of leader he will be.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:56 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Sad decision. Especially if, as the media are pushing, he jumped because Bojo didn’t back him last night.
He should have stayed in situ and forced Bojo to back him or sack him. Made him show what sort of leader he will be.
One who jumps when Donald says so, unfortunately.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:58 pm

DCWat wrote:One who jumps when Donald says so, unfortunately.
We expect that. And if the Conservative members elect him then clearly that's what they want.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Darroch should've kept his trap shut. Extremely poor diplomatic skills on show right from the start. Unless of course this was MEANT to play out this way...

The cynic in me thinks this has been a calculated decision by him. Probably gonna retire soon anyway, goes out with a bang and with his name on everyones lips. Book to follow, no doubt joining the Lords...

**** poor all round really.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Colburn_Claret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:11 pm

bobinho wrote:Darroch should've kept his trap shut. Extremely poor diplomatic skills on show right from the start. Unless of course this was MEANT to play out this way...

The cynic in me thinks this has been a calculated decision by him. Probably gonna retire soon anyway, goes out with a bang and with his name on everyones lips. Book to follow, no doubt joining the Lords...

Another one who clearly hasn't got a ******* clue has entered the discussion.

UK FCO to UK Ambassador: What's your assessment of the President-elect?
UK Ambassador to UK FCO: I'm to keep my trap shut because an ignorant dipshit on the internet said so.
These 6 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Claret Andy J chorleyhere Greenmile JohnMcGreal

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:We expect that. And if the Conservative members elect him then clearly that's what they want.
Not even sure that is a consideration, especially when seeing members questioned on their preference, on the news.

The responses I’ve heard tend to focus either on him being a bloody jolly chap or getting Brexit done.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:20 pm

bobinho wrote:Darroch should've kept his trap shut. Extremely poor diplomatic skills on show right from the start. Unless of course this was MEANT to play out this way...

What’s he said? Is your theory that he deliberately phrased his reports in such a way that a couple of years later he could get someone to leak them to Farage’s pet journo in an attempt to put Bojo in a difficult position during the leadership contest?

What’s the phrase - put your drink down and step away from the keyboard!

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:22 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:We know who Kim Darroch blames.

Not so fast Turtles heed.....
Attachments
5.PNG
5.PNG (387.04 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
4.PNG
4.PNG (44.2 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Last edited by AndyClaret on Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:23 pm

Spoiler alert....vapid troll has arrived.
This user liked this post: Shore claret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:34 pm

bobinho wrote:Spoiler alert....vapid troll has arrived.

Stop trying to make this thread all about you.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:39 pm

The culprit is the person that leaked the comments. Let's have a think why someone would do that.

Interesting that arch remainer Alan Duncan.made a statement in the house saying there should not have been an unauthorised leak and then backtracked to say not a leak.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:What’s he said? Is your theory that he deliberately phrased his reports in such a way that a couple of years later he could get someone to leak them to Farage’s pet journo in an attempt to put Bojo in a difficult position during the leadership contest?

What’s the phrase - put your drink down and step away from the keyboard!
What's he said? Really?

Did I say that's what my theory is? I explained my theory. At no point do I say it was meant to derail Bojo's PM bid. Personally, I don't really give a **** about it all, other than believing that a person in a diplomatic role shouldn't really be coming out with what he has. Think it by all means, seems a lot do, send the information back to the UK in a secure manner certainly, but to have it out there like this? It's all a bit `facebooky`.

What ******* phrase are you on about? You have just made a phrase up and passed it off as a well known one. You know you have done that right? And don't write your own theory, try to pass it off as mine and then judge me on it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:41 pm

summitclaret wrote:The culprit is the person that leaked the comments. Let's have a think why someone would do that.

Interesting that arch remainer Alan Duncan.made a statement in the house saying there should not have been an unauthorised leak and then backtracked to say not a leak.
I know you're trying to imply that it was a remainer who leaked, but if that was true then they wouldn't have leaked it to Oakeshott.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:46 pm

bobinho wrote:What's he said? Really?

Did I say that's what my theory is? I explained my theory. At no point do I say it was meant to derail Bojo's PM bid. Personally, I don't really give a **** about it all, other than believing that a person in a diplomatic role shouldn't really be coming out with what he has. Think it by all means, seems a lot do, send the information back to the UK in a secure manner certainly, but to have it out there like this? It's all a bit `facebooky`.

What ******* phrase are you on about? You have just made a phrase up and passed it off as a well known one. You know you have done that right? And don't write your own theory, try to pass it off as mine and then judge me on it.
Have you even bothered trying to understand what has actually gone on?

I'll help you out here before you get too intoxicated to understand.

In November 2016 Trump became President-elect. Later that month Kim Darroch reported back to the UK government that Trump was insecure, uniquely unsuitable for office, etc.

Three years later someone leaked that communique to Isabel Oakeshott, a journalist who is so far up Farage's arse that the only reason we know it's her is by taking her toe-prints
This user liked this post: Claret

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:52 pm

You wrote he should his trap shut so, given he hasn’t said anything today, what has he said?

As I said put your drink down because you atr to ****** to be writing on the internet- unless you are always so stupid?

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:02 pm

"are too"

Kids, don't leave school early.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:48 pm

IanMcL wrote:Was it the bus he used for his totally fabricated lies about 'spare' EU savings he will put to the NHS?
No, that Bus is now in storage, having been earmarked for " Nationalisation " by the Labour party leadership, to send people to re-education camps if they don't vote for the " Magic Grandpa " !!

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:57 pm

Darroch hasn't done anything wrong. He’s done his job as could be expected of him.
This user liked this post: Andy J

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:28 pm

Clarets4me wrote:No, that Bus is now in storage, having been earmarked for " Nationalisation " by the Labour party leadership, to send people to re-education camps if they don't vote for the " Magic Grandpa " !!
You mean the party who would actually put you first, but the elite few?

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:57 pm

Oh dear the anti-Trump and BoJo brigade are at it again.

Whoever leaked the messages should be punished most severely. The Daily Mail should be made accountable for gross irresponsible journalism.

However Darroch had to go as he has quite conclusively and indisputably proven beyond all doubt that as the most senior diplomat he clearly has no diplomatic skills so clearly unfit therefor to be a diplomat. Whatever Donald Trump's shortcomings and whatever his administration is or is not capable of you cannot as a diplomat be so stupid as to use personal and abusive comments in the way he did. He should have alluded to the fact that the President and his administration may not conduct its affairs in the same way as previous Presidents or their administrations have but you should not call an allies President or his administration "inept", "Incompetent", "insecure" etc as he has done so. He clearly strayed way beyond diplomacy and instead allowed his personal vitriol to cloud his professional judgement. He acted totally unprofessionally and he had no other choice but to go.

Trump's response was childish and embarrassing but Darroch had to go. The motives as to why the leaks were made and by whom will become clear soon enough but a campaign against Brexit is likely to be the number one suspect.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:18 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:Oh dear the anti-Trump and BoJo brigade are at it again.

Whoever leaked the messages should be punished most severely. The Daily Mail should be made accountable for gross irresponsible journalism.

However Darroch had to go as he has quite conclusively and indisputably proven beyond all doubt that as the most senior diplomat he clearly has no diplomatic skills so clearly unfit therefor to be a diplomat. Whatever Donald Trump's shortcomings and whatever his administration is or is not capable of you cannot as a diplomat be so stupid as to use personal and abusive comments in the way he did. He should have alluded to the fact that the President and his administration may not conduct its affairs in the same way as previous Presidents or their administrations have but you should not call an allies President or his administration "inept", "Incompetent", "insecure" etc as he has done so. He clearly strayed way beyond diplomacy and instead allowed his personal vitriol to cloud his professional judgement. He acted totally unprofessionally and he had no other choice but to go.

Trump's response was childish and embarrassing but Darroch had to go. The motives as to why the leaks were made and by whom will become clear soon enough but a campaign against Brexit is likely to be the number one suspect.
Its the distateful and very disrespectful language that this Diplomat used. I think.most people would be shocked by it. But he was, as it turns out, the wrong choice to go the USA as our representative. The Foreign Office was pretty obviously trying to sour the relationship with our biggest trading partner, with whom we have a surplus and our biggest ally.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:20 pm

Stayingup wrote:Its the distateful and very disrespectful language that this Diplomat used. I think.most people would be shocked by it. But he was, as it turns out, the wrong choice to go the USA as our representative. The Foreign Office was pretty obviously trying to sour the relationship with our biggest trading partner, with whom we have a surplus and our biggest ally.
Clueless

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:25 pm

Stayingup wrote:Its the distateful and very disrespectful language that this Diplomat used. I think.most people would be shocked by it. But he was, as it turns out, the wrong choice to go the USA as our representative. The Foreign Office was pretty obviously trying to sour the relationship with our biggest trading partner, with whom we have a surplus and our biggest ally.
A senior diplomat is there to hold no punches in his reports to his Carinate boss. It is exactly what he should be reporting back if that is his opinion.... that is why WE put him there.
This user liked this post: Andy J

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:37 pm

elwaclaret wrote:A senior diplomat is there to hold no punches in his reports to his Carinate boss. It is exactly what he should be reporting back if that is his opinion.... that is why WE put him there.
Hi elwa, really? Don't you think we've all been spending too much time on "up the clarets" if we think that the way some users post on here is the same asour diplomats should be posting? (and, I guess, other "social media" forums are also available....). ;)

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:40 pm

I would love somebody to explain to me how Darroch could have carried on with his job even before Boris did or did not support him.

His position was totally untenable, and his “honesty” was actually stupidity and inaccuracy - e.g. is Trump’s administration “inept”? Their economy is booming. They have some wacky traits yes, but it strikes me that Darroch really meant that the administration is not to his liking rather than being inept. I’m not surprised Trump was offended.

The real story here is how Whitehall and many MPs are using this as a Bash Boris exercise - he clearly isn’t part of the establishment, which is a good thing. You can probably predict which characters are about to be sacked - Alan Duncan would be one of my guesses.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm

Paul Waine wrote: Don't you think we've all been spending too much time on "up the clarets" if we think that the way some users post on here is the same asour diplomats should be posting? (and, I guess, other "social media" forums are also available....). ;)
No. Don't be stupid. His job is clearly to report back his opinion. As has been explained numerous times, he is not supposed to polish his language with us. Our government needs his candid assessments, not fluffy bullshit.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:44 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:I would love somebody to explain to me how Darroch could have carried on with his job even before Boris did or did not support him.

He couldn't. But not being supported by Boris sends an awful message to his successor that when it's a choice between Trump's feelings and an ambassador simply doing their job, Boris will choose to protect Trump's feelings.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:55 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:No. Don't be stupid. His job is clearly to report back his opinion. As has been explained numerous times, he is not supposed to polish his language with us. Our government needs his candid assessments, not fluffy bullshit.
Hi IT, do you really think that the way you post on here is the way that any country expects their diplomats to write?

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:58 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi IT, do you really think that the way you post on here is the way that any country expects their diplomats to write?
What Darroch wrote is nowhere near how anyone posts on here.

Burnley Ace

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:00 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi IT, do you really think that the way you post on here is the way that any country expects their diplomats to write?
How can you compare a message board to a highly encrypted secure internet connection used by an ambassador to send top security emails at cabinet level or higher?

He's been in the foriegn service for 40 years and risen to the top and some of the posters here think he has no skills!!

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

He wasn't writing like I write on here. Nor was he writing publicly.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:01 pm

The US had a similar but more large scale thing happen with the Manning leaks, where US diplomatic opinions very scathing of various Middle Eastern and North African leaders were made public. Regarding Trump, it’s likely most other Western diplomats sent home similar reports.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 pm

AndrewJB wrote:The US had a similar but more large scale thing happen with the Manning leaks, where US diplomatic opinions very scathing of various Middle Eastern and North African leaders were made public. Regarding Trump, it’s likely most other Western diplomats sent home similar reports.

Of course they did. They wouldn't be doing their jobs properly if they didn't give their candid assessment of the moron, including how corrupt and thin-skinned he is and how easy it is to manipulate him.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:43 pm

Do you think Darroch tweeted that Trump’s an insecure and inept nobhead, or put out a press release or something?

He did “send the information back to the UK in a secure manner”. Then someone leaked it to Oakeshott.
Paul Waine wrote:Hi elwa, really? Don't you think we've all been spending too much time on "up the clarets" if we think that the way some users post on here is the same asour diplomats should be posting? (and, I guess, other "social media" forums are also available....). ;)
...and here’s Paul also implying that Darroch “posted” his opinion on some kind of public forum. The idiots are out in force tonight.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:45 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:The real story here is how Whitehall and many MPs are using this as a Bash Boris exercise - he clearly isn’t part of the establishment, which is a good thing.
Yeah that’s definitely Johnson’s defining characteristic - not being part of the establishment. :roll: :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: AndrewJB JohnMcGreal

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Greenmile wrote: The idiots are out in force tonight.
Its been some well needed light relief after the previous couple of days worth of tedious bickering on the transfer threads.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:52 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote: His position was totally untenable, and his “honesty” was actually stupidity and inaccuracy - e.g. is Trump’s administration “inept”? Their economy is booming. They have some wacky traits yes, but it strikes me that Darroch really meant that the administration is not to his liking rather than being inept.
Darroch wasn't talking about the economy though was he, he see's first hand the functioning of the White House and the many arms of US Government. How State dept talks to Treasury, does the head of Energy have a clue about energy. Does the proper chain of command function. etc etc
You only have to watch an Episode of West Wing to see how complex a machine it is so it's not a surprise that it could be run ineptly by someone.
CrosspoolClarets wrote:The real story here is how Whitehall and many MPs are using this as a Bash Boris exercise - he clearly isn’t part of the establishment, which is a good thing.
The story is who is leaking restricted information to the press and to what end.

But on a finally humorous note: Eton & Oxford graduate, son of former MP and World Bank employee (also Oxford grad), 350k a year millionaire, political columnist, former Mayor of London and Foreign Secretary... [breath]... is not part of the establishment :lol: :lol: :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: AndrewJB CrosspoolClarets martin_p

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Greenmile wrote:Do you think Darroch tweeted that Trump’s an insecure and inept nobhead, or put out a press release or something?

He did “send the information back to the UK in a secure manner”. Then someone leaked it to Oakeshott.

...and here’s Paul also implying that Darroch “posted” his opinion on some kind of public forum. The idiots are out in force tonight.
Oh, come on my friend, Greenmile! I said that some were suggesting that he used language in his "diplomatic reports" that have since been leaked that follow the style of some posters on here.

As I've said, do we really expect our "highly trained, highly qualified, civil servants" to use the language that is commonly used to "wind people up" on "social" media?

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 am

CombatClaret wrote:
But on a finally humorous note: Eton & Oxford graduate, son of former MP and World Bank employee (also Oxford grad), 350k a year millionaire, political columnist, former Mayor of London and Foreign Secretary... [breath]... is not part of the establishment :lol: :lol: :lol:
You are right on this, Combat. We've all got to find humour in the divisions in what we would all have thought of as "the establishment."

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 am

Paul Waine wrote:Oh, come on my friend, Greenmile! I said that some were suggesting that he used language in his "diplomatic reports" that have since been leaked that follow the style of some posters on here.

As I've said, do we really expect our "highly trained, highly qualified, civil servants" to use the language that is commonly used to "wind people up" on "social" media?
Jesus wept. I used to think you were fairly smart.

The guy didn't called Trump a "******* moron" or "spectacularly retarded" or anything like that. He used grown up words what adults use, init?

And as has been pointed out, ******* repeatedly, it was his ******* job to do exactly what he did.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:07 am

Paul Waine wrote:Oh, come on my friend, Greenmile! I said that some were suggesting that he used language in his "diplomatic reports" that have since been leaked that follow the style of some posters on here.

You suggested he “posted” his opinion, in the context of folk “posting” on here. It was a stupid thing for you to say.

It shouldn’t matter what kind of language he used, as long as it was clear to the people he was reporting to (our govt). I expect him to be honest, and if Trump would find that upsetting, then so be it.

Let be fair here, calling the Trump administration inept and the man himself insecure is pretty diplomatic, given the reality of the situation. I’d have just reported that Trump’s a **** and leave it at that.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:08 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Jesus wept. I used to think you were fairly smart.

The guy didn't called Trump a "******* moron" or "spectacularly retarded" or anything like that. He used grown up words what adults use, init?

And as has been pointed out, ******* repeatedly, it was his ******* job to do exactly what he did.
I rest my case, your honor.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:12 am

Paul Waine wrote:I rest my case, your honor.
You haven't even read what he said, and yet you're so sure he was inappropriate.

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:14 am

Paul Waine wrote:I rest my case, your honor.
And what exactly is “your case”, Paul? That Darroch should have lied to his employers in a secure encrypted communication on the off-chance that someone might have leaked it and upset the snowflake president? Or that people sometimes swear on a messageboard and that upsets you?

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:23 am

Greenmile wrote:Yeah that’s definitely Johnson’s defining characteristic - not being part of the establishment. :roll: :roll:
Crosspool has well and truly drunk the Boris kool-aid.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:02 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi elwa, really? Don't you think we've all been spending too much time on "up the clarets" if we think that the way some users post on here is the same asour diplomats should be posting? (and, I guess, other "social media" forums are also available....). ;)
No but private emails to your superior are just that Paul. He didn’t make his comments public someone else did that for him. If he think that Trump is a clown and the Whitehouse is in turmoil, absolutely he should be referring that back and holding no punches.... it’s is a big part of why we keep ambassadors.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:24 pm

What language is it, specifically, that ‘follows the style of some posters on here’?