Crouch confirms.....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Re: Crouch confirms.....

Post by agreenwood » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm

Rileybobs wrote:A number of players made very little impact on the field last season. We have a squad of circa 25 players and Crouch filled one of those places. As Bacchus said above, he was a temporary stop gap to allow Vokes to leave (who had also become increasingly ineffective) and allow us to sign Rodriguez in this window (the legwork of this deal had clearly been done before).

Crouch didn’t make much of an impact in his 5 or 6 minute cameos but then again substitutes brought on for such a short period of time generally don’t. He still wasn’t as bad as most are making out.

Anyway, good luck to Crouch. A very good career and seems like a genuinely down to earth bloke.
I think we’re both in agreement that he had little or no impact on the pitch. That’s the only point I was making. I’m sure there have been hundreds of equally ineffective signings.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:13 pm

TVC15 wrote:What you said is that Dyche signed him because of his name - doesn’t make any sense at all.
If Dyche thought he was finished why do you think he signed him ? What would “his name” bring to the team or to the club ?
Clearly he did not have long left but he thought he could offer something.
He didn’t just win the penalty against Southampton btw - he nearly scored a couple of goals and also involved in that goal at Anfield.
Never agreed with the signing personally but I can at least accept Dyche had good reasons for it
I must have missed all these goals he nearly scored. And pretty sure he didn't have anything to do with our second goal at Anfield, unless just being on the pitch is classed as an assist these days.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Short term replacement now gone, job done, thanks Crouchy.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:36 pm

jrgbfc wrote:I must have missed all these goals he nearly scored. And pretty sure he didn't have anything to do with our second goal at Anfield, unless just being on the pitch is classed as an assist these days.
When you say “all” I take it you mean the couple I mentioned. Maybe you weren’t there but I know he was close with a header and a shot that he hit into the ground.
As for Liverpool goal - yep he didn’t touch the ball but he was in the area right next to Vydra who provided the assist for JBG and he did have 2 Liverpool players next to him so guess he was involved.

I’m not trying to argue he was a roaring success and I was against the signing myself but he contributed more than people are saying and to say all we ended up with is a name or personality is just not correct. It’s neither why we signed him or what we got.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:41 pm

All the best to him.

Probably not the worst news for us though.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1984 times
Has Liked: 2873 times

Post by elwaclaret » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:22 pm

I wish Crouchy all the best. I think it was the right thing to call it a day.

Unlike many on here, I’m pleased he finished his career with us.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks. Good luck for the future.

He did his bit well.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:06 pm

Never understood why he didn't play more for England when his record was so good.