Advice re: harassment at work

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Re: Advice re: harassment at work

Post by theroyaldyche » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:22 am

Follow them home and stick the nut on em

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:46 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:That's 4 post on this thread all just having a dig at the OP. You obviously aren't a very nice person but if you are not interested in the topic and just have a problem with the OP why don't you do yourself a favour and just stay off it cos its making you look a bit of a sad case
Yes it is a dig at you friend's double standards. Clearly none of you are very nice people since you wholeheartedly agreed with Jo Brands vile suggestion.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:49 pm

No offence, but I think it's time you left this thread healeywoodclaret. Whatever his opinions on Jo Brand are they are completely irrelevant to this discussion, and your tit for tat argument with him is just distracting matters.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:50 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Ha! Don't worry about it.

If you're talking about Healeywoodclaret and Dusty Bawls, both of those idiots have been on ignore for months :D :D :D

One of the reaons I moved to Spain was so I didn't have to listen to people from Healey ******* Wood :lol: :lol: :lol:
Enjoy Spain then and grow a pair! Keep posting your double standards on here and you will be called out.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Falcon wrote:No offence, but I think it's time you left this thread healeywoodclaret. Whatever his opinions on Jo Brand are they are completely irrelevant to this discussion, and your tit for tat argument with him is just distracting matters.
You will find I had some thoughts about this topic in my first post but no getting away from the fact this is double standards to agree and applaud such a vile suggestion and then whinge about some face pulling because it's closer to home.

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:54 pm

Falcon wrote:No offence, but I think it's time you left this thread healeywoodclaret. Whatever his opinions on Jo Brand are they are completely irrelevant to this discussion, and your tit for tat argument with him is just distracting matters.
Oh and people who start a sentence with no offence but ...... Is always meant to be offensive. What's up can't your friend stand up for himself?

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Oh and people who start a sentence with no offence but ...... Is always meant to be offensive. What's up can't your friend stand up for himself?
Why are you being an arse to me now? You're just ruining the thread.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Falcon wrote:Why are you being an arse to me now? You're just ruining the thread.
The tread was ruined when the trade union suggestions came in.

Falcon

Post by Falcon » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:03 pm

deanothedino wrote:The tread was ruined when the trade union suggestions came in.

At least that was pertinent to the discussion!!!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3845 times
Has Liked: 2066 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:05 pm

Falcon wrote:Why are you being an arse to me now? You're just ruining the thread.
After reading the thread I'm under the impression he started it as a wind up to draw this sort of argument out.

Most likely never happened.

Would anyone really post this on a public messageboard?

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:30 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:The other day my wife was explaining something to one of her colleagues and another coworker was stood behind her making blah-blah gestures and stupid faces to mock her.
It's a large American company famous for making jeans (yep, that five-o-one).
My wife has been there for twenty years and has never been on the receiving end of this kind of thing before and it has really upset her.
The girl is from another department and has a different boss who defends her.
What do you think she should do?
What would you do?
if that is harassment then I would have had at least 100 claims in my career. annoying yes but not enough details to give a proper assessment. If your wife is good at what she does then tell her to crack on as the colleague is probably jealous. If your wife lacks confidence in her role then the other girl may get the better of things. Its a long term thing and your wife will win in the end if she knows her stuff. good luck.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Healeywoodclaret

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:36 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:After reading the thread I'm under the impression he started it as a wind up to draw this sort of argument out.

Most likely never happened.

Would anyone really post this on a public messageboard?
I don't think this happened to his wife. It happened to him but he's only brave when he's on a keyboard. He can't confront someone face to face. It's rattled him and it's easier to come on here and say it happened to his wife.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:34 pm

claretnproud wrote:if that is harassment then I would have had at least 100 claims in my career. annoying yes but not enough details to give a proper assessment. If your wife is good at what she does then tell her to crack on as the colleague is probably jealous. If your wife lacks confidence in her role then the other girl may get the better of things. Its a long term thing and your wife will win in the end if she knows her stuff. good luck.
My feelings exactly, she's been there twenty years, the other girl only a year and a half.

claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by claretnproud » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm

I own a small business and all my staff are happy. We have good banter and I trust all the employees. If I got wind of bullying then I would deal with it immediately.
I have had various responses to people trying it on with me at work when just an employee. On one occasion the lad found a dead smelly fish in his car boot after weeks of driving around with his windows open. Don't get mad, get even and revenge is a dish best served cold etc.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Out of interest... did someone else let her know she was making faces behind her back?? ...

Just if that was me... I wouldn’t tell the person being targeted, but would definitely have a word with the culprit, or potentially mention it to a manager.

Bullying in the workplace can often be nipped in the bud by decent management. If she’s worked there 20 years without incidence... that to me says it’s generally a good place to work.

Lowbanks advice is reasonable, but I don’t like the way he asserts that management will just cover it up (there’s no ‘may’ in that sentence. I’d say that attitude is more the reason he’s been passed up for managerial roles... rather than him helping victims of bullying.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:49 pm

Siddo wrote:Why would HR cover it up?

In my experience the union would be more likely to "cover it up".

God help employees if all union reps were like this.
HR work for and are employed by the company.

They tend to be a front to protect the company, not protect the employees .

Never think if you go spill your problems to HR they will be on your side.

They protect the company first and foremost, if you need to be sacrificed to protect the company, you will be sacrificed.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:57 pm

Indecisive wrote:Out of interest... did someone else let her know she was making faces behind her back?? ...

Just if that was me... I wouldn’t tell the person being targeted, but would definitely have a word with the culprit, or potentially mention it to a manager.

Bullying in the workplace can often be nipped in the bud by decent management. If she’s worked there 20 years without incidence... that to me says it’s generally a good place to work.

Lowbanks advice is reasonable, but I don’t like the way he asserts that management will just cover it up (there’s no ‘may’ in that sentence. I’d say that attitude is more the reason he’s been passed up for managerial roles... rather than him helping victims of bullying.
You may be correct that management may cover it up. Might just be my experience colouring my judgement.

I did set myself the goal of helping people who where being bullied.

Last year for the third time I won a prized quality award, out of 50,000 employees I was chosen as the winner for the work I do.

I am extremely good at my job and the only reason I have not been promoted is I fight for those that are picked on.

Middle-agedClaret
Been Liked: 314 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by Middle-agedClaret » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:00 pm

Errr...all employees “work for and are employed by the company “.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Please send CT an email with details of your company. Just say forward to lowbank.

I will contact Unites full time officials I know to understand how your company is dealing with this issue outside of UK law.
Now I back in the UK, still waiting for your email.

Happy to ring our full time officials and discuss.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:04 pm

Indecisive wrote:Out of interest... did someone else let her know she was making faces behind her back?? ...

Her co-worker told her, the other girl has form for this kind of thing. My wife told me another story, one time she was in a presentation and the trainer or the person who was giving the presentation didn't understand a question she asked so she stood up, walked up to the front of the room and wrote (and underlined) it on the board. She's sounds very condescending and demonstrative/combatative.

Last week nothing happened and she didn't have any interaction with her at all.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:07 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:Now I back in the UK, still waiting for your email.

Happy to ring our full time officials and discuss.
I'm not in the UK and she isn't in a union, any advice is welcome but it needs to be based on European or Spanish law.

I'm pretty convinced the general rules are the same because it's a US company.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Lowbankclaret wrote:HR work for and are employed by the company.

They tend to be a front to protect the company, not protect the employees .

Never think if you go spill your problems to HR they will be on your side.

They protect the company first and foremost, if you need to be sacrificed to protect the company, you will be sacrificed.
Don't you think the troublemaker is more likely to be sacrificed in this case? She has pretty few friends left now.

Lowbankclaret

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Don't you think the troublemaker is more likely to be sacrificed in this case? She has pretty few friends left now.
Yes I do and I would not say anything in her position and hope there is no repeat.

Being English abroad at this time will be really challenging with Brexit and how Europeans feel about us.