Speeding Conviction Where Photo Inconclusive

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 297 times

Re: Speeding Conviction Where Photo Inconclusive

Post by deanothedino » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:40 pm

dsr wrote:All those who share a car and keep a detailed log of who was driving and where, stand up now.

I don't see many people standing. Who in the real world does that?
I don't need to, I have this ability to recall things that have happened in the recent past. If I couldn't I'd write it down knowing what the punishment can be for not knowing.

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:22 pm

dsr wrote:I wonder about the legality of not releasing the photo before the court hearing. There are no other criminal offences, so far as I know, where the prosecution isn't obliged to tell the defendant what the evidence is against him.
If you're particularly bored you can find all the disclosure rules in the Criminal Procedure and Investigations Act 1996 and the associated codes of practice. The rules are the same for all criminal offences and the prosecution isn't obliged to disclose the evidence against the defendant unless the case goes to trial.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10237 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:45 pm

warksclaret wrote:I cannot, as I have been on a recent one and you cannot go on another for 3 years
You have previous form so it is likely you or your wife was speeding. One of you was driving in a potentially dangerous manner - too fast - so one of you should pay up.
Learn from this episode rather than trying to weasel your way out of it. If you already have any previous convictions, you need to learn quickly preferably before someone gets hurt.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1991 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Not being arsey at all but if you are doing 100k miles per year in a business car I’d guess you’ve got satnav. If you can’t afford to be without wheels it’s time to turn it on every trip and the buzzer will tell you when you are speeding.
Future technology will probably see speed limiters fitted to vehicles that automatically slow you to given speed.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:52 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Not being arsey at all but if you are doing 100k miles per year in a business car I’d guess you’ve got satnav. If you can’t afford to be without wheels it’s time to turn it on every trip and the buzzer will tell you when you are speeding.
Future technology will probably see speed limiters fitted to vehicles that automatically slow you to given speed.
Or try something totally out there and try sticking to the speed limit
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:37 pm

Jesus -reading some comments you would have thought I was a rapist or burglar. I think anyone who has done a million miles on our roads in 30 years could be forgiven for doing 35mph in a 30mph. Had it been in the week my work diary would have instantly identified me as a driver. Because it was the weekend-and I learned 7 weeks later I could not 100% say who it was. I asked for a photo certain it would identify the driver to resolve the issue If my wife uses my car to go to the shop and I am in the garden she does not come and ask for my permission or fill in a log
To Quattro, Bosscat, DSR, No Nay Never and BFCG its reassuring there is some common sense amongst the Burnley faithfuls and a willingness to advise and help a fellow claret. Cheers guys

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Take the 3points........6 could be the alternative.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:21 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Had to go on one last week. There had been a speed change on a road I used to drive daily (40 down to 20) so I was six over instead of 4 under as I thought... it is amazing how much you forget when you have been driving so long. While I wouldn’t volunteer I actually found it very useful. Some of it you do but you’ve even forgotten why....
Stuff the safety course; it's a year 1 primary school maths lesson you need.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:03 pm

The amount of wet drips on here, stick to the speed limit blah blah blah. Clearly must be either. School teacher, very old or a Lycra clad cyclist. Give yourselves a shake.

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:42 am

Tricky Trevor wrote: Future technology will probably see speed limiters fitted to vehicles that automatically slow you to given speed.
New rules provisionally agreed by the EU mean that speed limiters will become mandatory for all vehicles sold in Europe from 2022. ... After being approved by the European Commission, mandatory speed limiting technology – called 'Intelligent Speed Assistance' (ISA) – could be fitted to all new cars within just three years.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:06 am

Jeez, is this thread still going?!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1922 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am

Right_winger wrote:The amount of wet drips on here, stick to the speed limit blah blah blah. Clearly must be a very sensible driver with the upmost respect to the speed limits the authorities have put in place to keep me, other road users and pedestrians as safe as possible.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:10 am

I'm a bit surprised 'owner onus' doesn't apply where driver identity is questioned. I'm pretty sure that's the way it works here in Victoria, Oz.