OT Help - Landline hacked

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

OT Help - Landline hacked

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

Help needed

My landline has been hijacked - I'm getting dozens of calls from angry people saying I've tried to call them about a fraudulent visa payment....

How do I stop it?? Sky suggest I change my number - not helpful...

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2618 times
Has Liked: 6415 times

Re: OT Help - Landline hacked

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:54 pm

get an answering machine and request full details of their credit card so that you can process their complaint...

[I guess also not helpful... sorry]
These 2 users liked this post: Steddyman Raggus

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:58 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:Help needed

My landline has been hijacked - I'm getting dozens of calls from angry people saying I've tried to call them about a fraudulent visa payment....

How do I stop it?? Sky suggest I change my number - not helpful...
Changing your number is the only solution. It sucks, but it's all that can be done. BT will close the number down. Usually a number change costs £25 but given the circumstances that should be waived.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Also, your line hasn't been hacked, so you don't need to worry about people listening to your calls. It's just your number is being spoofed by scammers somewhere.

Sutton-Claret

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:03 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Also, your line hasn't been hacked, so you don't need to worry about people listening to your calls. It's just your number is being spoofed by scammers somewhere.
Cheers for the info. Are the spoof calls likely to be costing me?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:04 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:Cheers for the info. Are the spoof calls likely to be costing me?
No. All they're doing is calling people and making it look like they're calling from your phone number.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:08 pm

Think of it like when you get a call from a Manchester or Leeds number for example and they are clearly not in that part of the country.

There will be a software they will use that will just pull a sequence of phone numbers off some list somewhere to use so people who are being called can see them and think "oh its a landline it's legit" and answer it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:21 pm

Another reason you'll want to change your number sooner rather than later is because a lot of people have apps on their phone, like Truecaller, which identifies unknown phone numbers as they're calling you and tells you who they are, and if the number is a known scam number.

Because someone's spoofing your number to scam other people, those people are going to provide negative feedback through their caller ID app and eventually your phone number will be labelled a scam number. So when you call people quite legitimately, and unless you know them, then they're going to think you're up to something. Which sucks.

PhilC
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by PhilC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:26 pm

Check this video out for a bit of an explanation on the types of scams that happen. The guy is really good at showing what really goes on with scamming and the amounts of money that people lose through being naive and confused by the scammer.

https://youtu.be/ygbkmh8brvo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've had a couple of friends who have lost money through these types of scams so always try to get as many people as possible to watch these kinds of videos to raise awareness.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:46 pm

I didn’t know people still had landlines.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

Sutton-Claret

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:58 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I didn’t know people still had landlines.
Would probably get rid but we don't have mobile signal in our village

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:00 pm

Rileybobs wrote:I didn’t know people still had landlines.
I don't why some people use "so called Smart" phones and here's just one very good reason why, please read and digest for your own heath.

https://www.5gawareness.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:03 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I don't why some people use "so called Smart" phones and here's just one very good reason why, please read and digest for your own heath.

And don't forget to donate to Dr Martin "Pay" Pall

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:07 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:And don't forget to donate to Dr Martin "Pay" Pall
And don't forget to fit your brain in when posting on message boards.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:08 pm

Had a 'robocall' 20 minutes ago from 'visa' saying someone was trying to withdraw £600 from my account and to press 1 to speak to someone about it.

Total Boll***s of course the number said 'unavailable' on my phone display ... so unfortunately cannot block it.

Just went online and checked my account ..... No transactions show up anywhere of that amount.

In fact just had another exactly the same and the wife answered it.... No mention of name account etc (as the bank would do if the were contacting you)

Just another scam to avoid

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:11 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I don't why some people use "so called Smart" phones and here's just one very good reason why, please read and digest for your own heath.

Is this a joke? Are you making a joke here, or are you serious?
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Rick_Muller

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:12 pm

Haha. A website that immediately asks you to donate money to some bloke so that he can help to stop 5G. Please tell me you don’t think that website is credible? Can you provide any credible evidence that mobile phones affect your health?

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:14 pm

Bosscat wrote:Had a 'robocall' 20 minutes ago from 'visa' saying someone was trying to withdraw £600 from my account and to press 1 to speak to someone about it.

Total Boll***s of course the number said 'unavailable' on my phone display ... so unfortunately cannot block it.

Just went online and checked my account ..... No transactions show up anywhere of that amount.

In fact just had another exactly the same and the wife answered it.... No mention of name account etc (as the bank would do if the were contacting you)

Must have called me at the same time!!!

I get at least 1call a week telling me my Internet is about to crash.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Mondsley wrote:Must have called me at the same time!!!

I get at least 1call a week telling me my Internet is about to crash.
Me too :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sutton-Claret

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:16 pm

Bosscat wrote:Had a 'robocall' 20 minutes ago from 'visa' saying someone was trying to withdraw £600 from my account and to press 1 to speak to someone about it.

Had the same one just before all this started. So far had about 100 calls form irate people wanting to know who I am and why I've called them.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Haha. A website that immediately asks you to donate money to some bloke so that he can help to stop 5G. Please tell me you don’t think that website is credible? Can you provide any credible evidence that mobile phones affect your health?
And don't forget the other purpose behind drumming up the fear:
Click on banner beside this message to get 10% off of all items when using “5gawareness” as a coupon. They sell machines for detecting wireless radiation from cell phone towers, smart meters, wi-fi routers and cellphones as well as protective clothing, and bedding.
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:18 pm

http://mentalfloss.com/article/501676/y ... tal-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love the play on words...

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:22 pm

lol, no

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:27 pm

I blame Donald Trump I bet he is behind this foul scam...

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 pm

Typical! people jumping to conclusions about something they know little or nothing about.

You're talking to the wrong fella here as there are few people more sceptical than me.

But having attended two local meetings on this subject on what seems to me and others is becoming the biggest cover up in this Country by the establishment for some time.

I am of the firm opinion that it's not scare mongering in order to make money, the reason for the donation suggetion is that one of the three speakers who started to get interested in 5G when he lost his mother after being diagnosed with a brain tumour within couple of weeks has now taken to travel around the Country to spread the word.

That costs money so that's the reason which sounded only reasonable to me, all three speakers were available to talk with during the breaks as well so I had a chance to look them in the eye as it were.

But don't just take my word for it read and digest that website and some of the links and make your own mind up and go to some of the meetings which I will post later in all your own areas.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:49 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Typical! people jumping to conclusions about something they know little or nothing about. ...

5g signals use the microwave part of the spectrum. Radiation at that end of the spectrum is too weak to cause damage to cells the way ionising radiation, like x-rays and gamma rays, does. The only way microwave radiation can be harmful to you or me is if you focus them on one area and power it with a several hundred watt power supply. And even then the damage done is heat damage.

The screen you're reading this on emits radiation of a higher frequency just so that you can read this message - visible light.

Stop being worried by this dumb bullshit.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1077 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:5g signals use the microwave part of the spectrum. Radiation at that end of the spectrum is too weak to cause damage to cells the way ionising radiation, like x-rays and gamma rays, does. The only way microwave radiation can be harmful to you or me is if you focus them on one area and power it with a several hundred watt power supply. And even then the damage done is heat damage.

The screen you're reading this on emits radiation of a higher frequency just so that you can read this message - visible light.

You’re talking to the wrong fella. There are few people more sceptical than the guy who appears to have made a donation to someone with a website that looks like it was put together by a 4-year-old and is aimed at folk who literally wear tinfoil hats.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:57 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Typical! people jumping to conclusions about something they know little or nothing about.

You're talking to the wrong fella here as there are few people more sceptical than me.

But having attended two local meetings on this subject on what seems to me and others is becoming the biggest cover up in this Country by the establishment for some time.

I am of the firm opinion that it's not scare mongering in order to make money, the reason for the donation suggetion is that one of the three speakers who started to get interested in 5G when he lost his mother after being diagnosed with a brain tumour within couple of weeks has now taken to travel around the Country to spread the word.

That costs money so that's the reason which sounded only reasonable to me, all three speakers were available to talk with during the breaks as well so I had a chance to look them in the eye as it were.

But don't just take my word for it read and digest that website and some of the links and make your own mind up and go to some of the meetings which I will post later in all your own areas.
Stop it, you’re making me laugh.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:5g signals use the microwave part of the spectrum. Radiation at that end of the spectrum is too weak to cause damage to cells the way ionising radiation, like x-rays and gamma rays, does. The only way microwave radiation can be harmful to you or me is if you focus them on one area and power it with a several hundred watt power supply. And even then the damage done is heat damage.

You are in no position to talk about BS, have you read and digested the links? no I thought not.

Rather than dismiss things out of hand a more intelligent approach would be to find out more rather than display a "dog in the manger attitude" go and see for yourself and then when you've been and quizzed people than come back and comment.

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:00 pm

South West Claret. wrote:Typical! people jumping to conclusions about something they know little or nothing about.

https://youtu.be/uoYTFaiP8DY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this guy appears to be credible to the untrained eye (ear). Have a listen, then tell me what you think, I'm genuinely interested, especially the part where he describes Gigahertz and Megahertz and his explanation as to the difference between them.

then there's this photo thats doing the rounds on social media... what's this all about then?
5G hazmat suit.jpg
5G hazmat suit.jpg (204.05 KiB) Viewed 3275 times
the fact is that it's not a radiation suit at all, although it is a hazmat suit. He's cleaning bird droppings off the mast (which isn't even a 5G mast either) and needs the hazmat suit as his PPE.

The thing is, and it's not a direct dig at you, that people see this type of misinformation across social media and dont actually research it but they take it as read that there is a major problem or conspiracy involved.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:02 pm

SWC has to be a flat earther :lol:

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:05 pm

The problem is, if you counter these kinds of ludicrous claims you’re described as a ‘sheep’ or ignorant. When in fact the people who believe them are just that.

This kind of thing is just basic science. The kind of ridiculous scaremongering you would have expected in the ‘60’s.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:06 pm

I had this happen to me (mobile number rather than landline). People repeatedly calling me to say I'd phoned them. I ended up just not answering the phone unless I recognised the number.

It was pretty frustrating. My mobile operator first of all denied it was happening, then suggested that it was my friends playing a trick on me and told me it was impossible to spoof numbers (until I corrected him).

I reported it to ActionFraud but it just seemed to stop without intervention, I guess they cycle through numbers pretty regularly.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:17 pm

This isn't a dig Turtle but someone like you (who is frequently pushing bullsh*t links to absolute boll**ks about Trump/Brexit and many things)

You telling someone to stop believing bullshit is total comedy gold feller :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:22 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:https://youtu.be/uoYTFaiP8DY

this guy appears to be credible to the untrained eye (ear). Have a listen, then tell me what you think, I'm genuinely interested, especially the part where he describes Gigahertz and Megahertz and his explanation as to the difference between them.

then there's this photo thats doing the rounds on social media... what's this all about then?
5G hazmat suit.jpg
the fact is that it's not a radiation suit at all, although it is a hazmat suit. He's cleaning bird droppings off the mast (which isn't even a 5G mast either) and needs the hazmat suit as his PPE.

The thing is, and it's not a direct dig at you, that people see this type of misinformation across social media and dont actually research it but they take it as read that there is a major problem or conspiracy involved.
My m8 (who works in the mobile tech industry and currently in Morocco) has a Hazmat suit in his equipment its part of his PPE as you say and has to be worn while cleaning just as you have said.

Don't forget the Victorians were scared of Trains

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... iS&ampcf=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scaremongering not new just the way its spread
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:https://youtu.be/uoYTFaiP8DY

5G hazmat suit.jpg

He's full of ****. Like, so full of **** he's clearly not someone installing it. And i'm not even 2 minutes into the video.

For a start he says that the towers currently broadcast from 1.5 to 2.8 MHz. This is not true. Current operating 4g frequencies (in the UK) are from 800 MHz to 2600 MHz. 5g will operating in the frequencies of 3400 to 3800 MHz (3.4 to 3.8 GHz). That si not "15,000 times more powerful".

And as you say, the guy in the picture is cleaning the masts, and needs protective gear for the chemicals he's using.

I knew i was in for a treat as soon as i saw the MAGA hat, so i'm going to watch the rest of it.

Edit: oh god. He's talking about how the peaks and troghs of the radio waves are going to be packed so tightly together that they're going to blast your cells apart. "millimetre wavelenghts" he says can do this. Meanwhile, i'm watching a video of his saying that that's blasting radio waves with "nanometer wavelengths" into my eyes and body. I can almost feel the cells rip apart. Send help.
These 2 users liked this post: Rick_Muller fatboy47

Sutton-Claret

Post by Sutton-Claret » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:38 pm

aggi wrote:I had this happen to me (mobile number rather than landline). People repeatedly calling me to say I'd phoned them. I ended up just not answering the phone unless I recognised the number.

It was pretty frustrating. My mobile operator first of all denied it was happening, then suggested that it was my friends playing a trick on me and told me it was impossible to spoof numbers (until I corrected him).

I reported it to ActionFraud but it just seemed to stop without intervention, I guess they cycle through numbers pretty regularly.
Just requested to have my number changed which takes 24 hours.........

My phones been ringing every 10 seconds. The worst part is that most of the callers seem very old and some are quite upset that they think they've had money stolen from them. The people behind this sort of scam need stoning to death...

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Sutton-Claret wrote:Just requested to have my number changed which takes 24 hours.........

My phones been ringing every 10 seconds. The worst part is that most of the callers seem very old and some are quite upset that they think they've had money stolen from them. The people behind this sort of scam need stoning to death...
If you have the time then record a brief voicemail message explaining things, and then turn the ringer off so that they get the voicemail message and you're not bothered anymore.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:22 pm

We still have a landline and that's for the same reason 99% of other people who still keep a landline have one........So your mum can phone you!!

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:24 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:We still have a landline and that's for the same reason 99% of other people who still keep a landline have one........So your mum can phone you!!
Ah ********. I'm the 1% now.
Taxation is theft!

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:We still have a landline and that's for the same reason 99% of other people who still keep a landline have one........So your mum can phone you!!
Your mum can phone your mobile too. She still needs to dial a 11 digit number.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Your mum can phone your mobile too. She still needs to dial a 11 digit number.
Apparently not!! (And from what I can gather it ain't just MY mum!!)
This user liked this post: Rileybobs

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:45 pm

All your mums have no problem when calling me.
These 5 users liked this post: ClaretAndJew Dark Cloud Rileybobs Rick_Muller fatboy47

Rick_Muller

Post by Rick_Muller » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:41 pm

My mum uses FaceTime to call me and she’s 80 this year...
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Little boys talking about mummy very touching, how old are some of you lot? under 10 by the sounds of things.

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:55 pm

My mum never touched me

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:57 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:My mum never touched me
I stand corrected.. under 7.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:58 pm

Rick_Muller wrote:My mum uses FaceTime to call me and she’s 80 this year...
Mine's 87 and seems to think that mobile phones are the work of the devil (And ITV is only for poor people..apparently!)

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:00 pm

South West Claret. wrote:I stand corrected.. under 7.
You stand corrected under 7 what?

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Mine's 87 and seems to think that mobile phones are the work of the devil...
Does she post as South West Claret?
These 4 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Devils_Advocate Greenmile fatboy47