Time to scrap the police force?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Time to scrap the police force?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:45 pm

It's been reported that only 7% of crimes reported are solved by the Police, which is the lowest since records began.
Underfunding has no doubt made their job harder but them stays are shocking.

Maybe just fund serious crime units for Murders etc

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Time to scrap the police force?

Post by Spijed » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Surely it would be far cheaper if everyone just buys a pitch fork and lantern! ;)
This user liked this post: houseboy

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:48 pm

I thought the Tories had already done this
These 4 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo Rumpelstiltskin evensteadiereddie mybloodisclaret

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:53 pm

If they didn't **** all their time and resources away, I think they'd get better results.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Vigilante Nation is coming.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:56 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Vigilante Nation is coming.
It wouldn't be a bad thing unless you're a 5ft, 7 stone chap.

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm

The BBC has an article on this & I saw a brief discussion earlier this am. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49029545

In the discussion they picked up on the "Meanwhile, figures show there has been a small increase in the number of police officers in England and Wales over the last year." It was mentioned that though the overall number had increased, the number on frontline duty had not.

I'm not sure how big a priority solving crime is with some of the people running the force nowadays.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:57 pm

That certainly is a good cast, what a headline, well done.

And now to the real world - where did those stats come from? If only 7% of crime is solved why are our prisons full of criminals, the overwhelming majority of whom are NOT murderers or rapists? I think THAT is the stat we should be looking at, not some scaremongering story culled from a survey carried out in Gorton.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 pm

Spijed wrote:Surely it would be far cheaper if everyone just buys a pitch fork and lantern! ;)
Just this, along with chants of 'kill the beast' and little men in dark corners saying 'here, you don't wanna be going up to the castle after dark'.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

houseboy wrote:That certainly is a good cast, what a headline, well done.

And now to the real world - where did those stats come from? If only 7% of crime is solved why are our prisons full of criminals, the overwhelming majority of whom are NOT murderers or rapists? I think THAT is the stat we should be looking at, not some scaremongering story culled from a survey carried out in Gorton.
Have you been drinking Houseboy?

Just read the article posted in post 7.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:02 pm

Good one. What we don't have though is stats on the number of crimes that are deterred because there is a police force.
No question though our quality of life, safety, and increasingly finances are under threat.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy FactualFrank

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:08 pm

The problem is having operational police officers spending all their time trying to 'solve' crimes when they should be out preventing / deterring / responding to immediate crime.

I think its time for civilians to take over all crime reporting tasks - particularly as they are mostly for recording purposes (e.g. thefts / criminal damage / burglaries) - freeing up the officers to patrol the streets and respond to immediate incidents

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:22 pm

We should make it illegal to commit crimes.
This user liked this post: Lisbonclaret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Rileybobs wrote:We should make it illegal to commit crimes.
Don't be giving the Tories ideas about how they can bump up the stats and at the same time reduce public spending to feed into more tax breaks for the wealthy elite

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Rileybobs wrote:We should make it illegal to commit crimes.
It already is for poor people.

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:36 pm

Who ever said crime doesn't pay?

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:40 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It's been reported that only 7% of crimes reported are solved by the Police, which is the lowest since records began.
Underfunding has no doubt made their job harder but them stays are shocking.

Maybe just fund serious crime units for Murders etc
This seems like an incredibly dumb idea. What do you think will happen to the number of things like robberies, burglaries, assaults, when ***** find out that their crimes definitely won't even be investigated?
This user liked this post: houseboy

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:It wouldn't be a bad thing unless you're a 5ft, 7 stone chap.
Or innocent.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:42 pm

I'm sure once the football season starts that 7% will rise.

They need a Burnley v Rovers game to bump up all those nasty crimes that seem to get committed.

Failing that use the usual football coppers on the streets, they seem to get a 100% conviction rate with some very harsh punishments.
I heard there's not even an actual crime sometimes, that's how good they are.

Ps, word of warning, their tactics dont work as well with German people.
This user liked this post: bobinho

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:44 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:This seems like an incredibly dumb idea. What do you think will happen to the number of things like robberies, burglaries, assaults, when ***** find out that their crimes definitely won't even be investigated?
What if we locked up all the people most likely to commit crimes before they do so. We could never be be 100% certain but I'm sure there must be some kind of indicator we could use to predict potential criminals and locking up a few innocent people would be a small price to pay to reduce eradicate crime
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:51 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:This seems like an incredibly dumb idea. What do you think will happen to the number of things like robberies, burglaries, assaults, when ***** find out that their crimes definitely won't even be investigated?

Probably the same thing that happens now.

Commit a crime like burglaries, vandalism, assault etc, get arrested then case goes to court ( if it even gets there ) then it gets thrown out or a slap on the wrist as punished, which probably cost the tax payer thousands of pounds, and a lot of man hours for the public services.
( and usually the people committing these crimes regularly arent tax payers, they seem to be the leeches taking from the system constantly in one way or another)

Of course once they wrack up a dozen of these crimes or more, they get a few months custodial sentence, before starting the cycle again.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:56 pm

The solution is simple. It's time for the purge!

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:01 pm

mkmel wrote:I thought the Tories had already done this
“Tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime” someone once lied...
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Have you been drinking Houseboy?

Just read the article posted in post 7.
It wasn't there when I posted it must have appeared at roughly the same time. Anyway if I get time I might (but I tend not to read links or I'd be on here all day). But my question remains: why do we have all our prisons full to overflowing with (mainly petty) criminals? We have over 83,000 people in prisons in the UK, if the police aren't doing their job how did they get there? Are we to assume they gave themselves up? If not are we to assume, given the 7% figure, that the prison population should be far higher? Even allowing for some of the unsolved crimes being committed by many of those already inside for other offences (in which case they are being 'punished' anyway) would we be talking about a prison population treble that of what we have now? Could we really sustain a prison population of around a 1/4 of a million?

I'm sorry mate but I have a good healthy distrust of stats (they can prove whatever you want depending on how they are presented) and if that figure is correct then if you look at the prison population and accept that only 7% of crimes are solved then we must live in a country that makes Sodom and Gomorra look like heaven. And to be honest mate I don't think the UK is that bad with regard to crime, there are far, far worse places.

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Oh, and a “like” for the turtle....(yeah, I know) can’t do it properly, I can only see his posts when someone quotes him (DA and Macca above).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:08 pm

Don't worry mate, it's not an idea, it's clickbait. :lol:

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:15 pm

houseboy wrote: But my question remains: why do we have all our prisons full to overflowing with (mainly petty) criminals? We have over 83,000 people in prisons in the UK, if the police aren't doing their job how did they get there?
Not enough prisons. Prison not a harsh enough deterrent. Far too many criminals. Why? Because crime pays. It just does. How many people do you know who have been victims of crime that hasn’t been investigated? I know loads, and I also am one. Two incidents recently with CCTV evidence clearly identifying the individual were left without investigation (surely not needed due to CCTV) and I was offered a crime number as standard protocol. To quote the desk person “it’s vehicle crime so there won’t be a positive outcome”. Talk about giving a green light to the scrotes doing this every night. The odds on them getting caught, prosecuted and convicted are worth it to them. Odds heavily stacked in their favour. That needs to change or petty crime becomes serious crime.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:25 pm

UTC.jpg
UTC.jpg (134.32 KiB) Viewed 2529 times
These 4 users liked this post: houseboy FactualFrank Imploding Turtle tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:What if we locked up all the people most likely to commit crimes before they do so. We could never be be 100% certain but I'm sure there must be some kind of indicator we could use to predict potential criminals and locking up a few innocent people would be a small price to pay to reduce eradicate crime
Preventative prison? That's a novel idea mate. Maybe we should sterilise all the girls who are a potential drain on our social security system? What about enforced medication to all 'potential' mentally ill people who just might be a threat to society? To be honest if you think about it there are a number of good reasons for throwing people in prison for potential crimes. The problem is if we started doing that we wouldn't have enough people out of prison and paying tax to be able to afford to keep all those people in prison.

Ha ha, come on Devil, you can do better than this, you are intelligent. You know as well as I do (to be serious for a moment) that a civilised society does not throw innocent people in prison, besides, what would we do with all the REAL criminals who are sat in the House of Commons passing laws to make more and more things illegal? The same laws that they themselves seem to be able to break with impunity.

By the way I would actually disagree whole heartedly with your statement about it being worth a few innocent people going to prison. I have long held the belief, and will till I die, that it is better a thousand criminals go free than one innocent person is thrown in prison, I can imagine nothing worse.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:32 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
UTC.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant mate and my sentiments entirely.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:33 pm

houseboy wrote:Preventative prison? That's a novel idea mate. Maybe we should sterilise all the girls who are a potential drain on our social security system? What about enforced medication to all 'potential' mentally ill people who just might be a threat to society? To be honest if you think about it there are a number of good reasons for throwing people in prison for potential crimes. The problem is if we started doing that we wouldn't have enough people out of prison and paying tax to be able to afford to keep all those people in prison.

Ha ha, come on Devil, you can do better than this, you are intelligent. You know as well as I do (to be serious for a moment) that a civilised society does not throw innocent people in prison, besides, what would we do with all the REAL criminals who are sat in the House of Commons passing laws to make more and more things illegal? The same laws that they themselves seem to be able to break with impunity.

By the way I would actually disagree whole heartedly with your statement about it being worth a few innocent people going to prison. I have long held the belief, and will till I die, that it is better a thousand criminals go free than one innocent person is thrown in prison, I can imagine nothing worse.
Come on Houseboy you've seen enough of my posts to realise I was just parodying some of the lets say 'alterative' minded posters on here. And now you've gone and give them even more good ideas with your other suggestions!!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:44 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
UTC.jpg
That’s a lot of effort for a reply. Thanks for going to all that effort. I appreciate it.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:49 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Come on Houseboy you've seen enough of my posts to realise I was just parodying some of the lets say 'alterative' minded posters on here. And now you've gone and give them even more good ideas with your other suggestions!!
I know bud. I'm just feeling a bit frivolous today. You know, there is some garbage on here at times but also some good stuff, and often some of the good stuff comes from those who are considered somewhat deranged (you know who you are :lol: ). I described this thread as clickbait, and it is, but sometimes it's good to have a laugh at nonsense. The one thing you and I have in common (that I know of) is we both like to poke a stick at Albert's Lion.

I was just waiting for someone to come on and say, in all seriousness, why don't we just kill them all. That would have made my day. :D
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate

ClaretFelix
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 123 times

Post by ClaretFelix » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:49 pm

No force about it - it Police Service nowadays.......

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:04 pm

On the same BBC news pages it has a report of a Met Police officer buying Porn on a family's Virgiñ TV account ,while waiting for an undertaker to arrive.

PC Avi Maharaj was on duty alone at the home of a family whose dead child was waiting to be picked up.

He pleaded guilty after spending 25 quid on 4 separate purchases.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:16 pm

He could have got it for nothing, he's using the wrong sites. Apparently.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:22 pm

There is a way to spot people who are likely to commit crimes, so we know who to send to prison as a preventative measure. 3,900+ people appeared in court last year for their 50th or higher conviction, but excaped jail

So if we adapt the US system of "three strikes and you're out", and make it "fifty strikes and you're out", then those people could be sent to jail and (if jail means jail) would be prevented from committing some crimes.

Just a thought.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:16 pm

I’d say it’s never been safer to walk the streets at night imo , cctv saturation , everything the digital age has to offer etc . You should have tried using the London underground in the late 70’s or come to think of it most of Manchester after dark was very moody uptill say the mid/late 90’s. The amount of petty /low level crime in big cities will always be nearly impossible to really crack down on like low end street robbery ,pickpockets ,shoplifting ,anti social ,car theft, drug dealing etc etc

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:01 pm

Elbarad wrote:Who ever said crime doesn't pay?
At a guess and off the top of my head....I'd say Lane Garrison :D

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:25 pm

BREAKING NEWS.

The metropolitan police announce that nobody has been stabbed in London in the last 2 minutes...……………..

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:31 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:BREAKING NEWS.

The metropolitan police announce that nobody has been stabbed in London in the last 2 minutes...……………..

Who said right-wing comedy is dead?

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:37 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Who said right-wing comedy is dead?

If politics had a football team I’d definitely be on the right wing

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:24 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:If politics had a football team I’d definitely be on the right wing

And i have just the football chant for you

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2019 ... cha/224257" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:24 pm

CombatClaret wrote:
UTC.jpg

Nice barbel. River Trent?