Injured Bird. Who can help?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Injured Bird. Who can help?

Post by Siddo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 pm

A young thrush or blackbird has just flown into my window. It seems at least stunned, but probably injured. The RSPB and Animal welfare wont help. Any ideas. Its in a boc with some water at the moment.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Re: Injured Bird. Who can help?

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:05 pm

This happens regularly in my garden.
Not much you can do except put it in a quiet place in your garden and hope it recovers and flies away.
These 5 users liked this post: Siddo spadesclaret longsidepies CJW oswyclaret

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:06 pm

I thought we might be needing a new commentator when I read the title.
These 3 users liked this post: Siddo Funkydrummer IanMcL

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:09 pm

There's always one!

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Small bird flew into my lounge window the other day. Took off again only to fly into a brick wall, turned the other way and straight into the wooden fencing.

I’ve named it Boris.
These 4 users liked this post: South West Claret. Bosscat longsidepies tim_noone

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3181 times
Has Liked: 1864 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:12 pm

I’d echo lakedistricts advice but make sure it can get it when ready but no predators can get into it

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:27 pm

Siddo wrote:A young thrush or blackbird has just flown into my window. It seems at least stunned, but probably injured. The RSPB and Animal welfare wont help. Any ideas. Its in a boc with some water at the moment.

Do you live in a seedy area.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat tim_noone

spadesclaret
Been Liked: 2147 times
Has Liked: 3782 times

Post by spadesclaret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:35 pm

"The RSPB...won't help"

I am surprised they offered no advice. Do what lakedistrict suggests.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 1293 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:36 pm

I have had 2 blackbirds get stuck in the netting that I have protecting my strawberries. I managed to untangle them both without any damage or harm. They just sulked a bit under a bush then flew off.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 pm

https://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfa ... redanimals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bfc
Been Liked: 443 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Bfc » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:49 pm

Siddo, put it outside under a bush, or somewhere with cover, which will encourage its parent birds to try and find it and feed it.
It’s no chance of anyone but an expert saving it.
To others who have problems with birds flying into glass, I suggest they put some kind of sticker on it, which birds will see as an obstruction, which will deter them from flying into the glass.
These 2 users liked this post: lesxdp Siddo

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 pm

Put it in a Bush/hedge if possible so it's well hidden, it should also help it hop up to some safety, and parents could also feed it if in safer place.
Also may help when it does attempt to fly or take off.

Edit - as above
This user liked this post: Siddo

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18204 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:04 pm

We had a young collared dove fly into our Kitchen window last year.... it left not only a huge Dove shaped shadow of dusty residue on the window... it evacuated the contents of its bowels too making a right mess.

It was stunned on the ground under the window. We picked up gently and placed it up the garden in a sheltered spot. In about 1/2 an hour, 2 other collared doves arrived and after a bit of flapping and shaking it flew off with (we assume) Mum and Dad collared dove.

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Bfc wrote:Siddo, put it outside under a bush, or somewhere with cover, which will encourage its parent birds to try and find it and feed it.
To others who have problems with birds flying into glass, I suggest they put some kind of sticker on it, which birds will see as an obstruction, which will deter them from flying into the glass.
Thanks everyone.

I put it underneath the tree it seemed to take off from. It is sheltered by shrubbery and I put some water next to it.
It looks reasonably ok, but hasn't moved in the last half hour.
If its still there in the morning I'll try to find somewhere rural and let it try its luck there.
I know its only a bird and this happens all the time, but in some ways I wish it had been killed so it wouldn't have to suffer.
We have used the bird silhouettes at our caravan and they definitely work, but this hasn't happened here before in 35 years.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:34 pm

Bfc wrote:Siddo, put it outside under a bush, or somewhere with cover, which will encourage its parent birds to try and find it and feed it.
“Birds watch out”?
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Martinc265
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Martinc265 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:40 pm

spadesclaret wrote:"The RSPB...won't help"

I am surprised they offered no advice. Do what lakedistrict suggests.
RSPCA and RSPB will only help if they can make headlines with it

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:22 pm

Siddo wrote:A young thrush or blackbird has just flown into my window. It seems at least stunned, but probably injured. The RSPB and Animal welfare wont help. Any ideas. Its in a boc with some water at the moment.
No surprise the RSPB won't help. There are about a billion birds die each year in Britain, and that's not counting sea birds. The RSPB can't save them all.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:44 pm

It's just stunned.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm

IanMcL wrote:It's just stunned.
Its not a bloody Norwegian Blue Ian m8 :lol:
This user liked this post: IanMcL

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:08 pm

Beautiful plumage, though.
That was a daft comment made earlier about the RSPCA and RSPB not helping. What do you expect them to do - send an ambulance ?
There's plenty of advice on t'internet, most of it echoing the stuff above : leave it in a quietish place where its parents can possibly find it and cross your fingers.
If it doesn't make it, it's too bad.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:21 pm

My cat would happily help you out.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Tell the RSPB at the same time that you’ve also taken deliver of a couple of “ still warm” Golden eagle eggs and you’re thinking of making an omelette...you’ll have Bill Oddie in an Apache gunship tooled up like Rambo before you’ve got off the phone ...

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:42 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:Small bird flew into my lounge window the other day. Took off again only to fly into a brick wall, turned the other way and straight into the wooden fencing.

I’ve named it Boris.
:lol: :lol:

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:46 pm

dsr wrote:No surprise the RSPB won't help. There are about a billion birds die each year in Britain, and that's not counting sea birds. The RSPB can't save them all.
:lol:

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2460 times
Has Liked: 1990 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:47 pm

We have this problem all the time. 99/100 recover and fly happily away.
We put it down to a big window with a big mirror directly opposite. They see it as a through route. No alternative re:positioning and you can't live like hermits, with the curtains drawn 24/7

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:56 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:We have this problem all the time. 99/100 recover and fly happily away.
We put it down to a big window with a big mirror directly opposite. They see it as a through route. No alternative re:positioning and you can't live like hermits, with the curtains drawn 24/7
They might fly away, but I doubt they're happy!

dsr

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:58 pm

tim_noone wrote::lol:
Cruel. Laughing at little birdies dying. It wouldn't be so bad if there was good eating on them. ;)

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:03 pm

dsr wrote:Cruel. Laughing at little birdies dying. It wouldn't be so bad if there was good eating on them. ;)
No I love em really but there's some amusing replies tbh!

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:34 am

Update! Had a look first thing this morning and it has gone. Hopefully made a recovery and managed to fly away.
The RSPB comment by Eddie poses a question though. If a charity with millions of pounds of donations, set up solely to help birds won't help when a bird is injured, then what is the point of the charity?

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:42 am

Siddo wrote:Update! Had a look first thing this morning and it has gone. Hopefully made a recovery and managed to fly away.
The RSPB comment by Eddie poses a question though. If a charity with millions of pounds of donations, set up solely to help birds won't help when a bird is injured, then what is the point of the charity?
I just love happy endings. :D

Siddo

Post by Siddo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:51 am

My wife says I'm daft, and is asking why we dont have bird ambulances.
I know its a bit over the top from me, but I just wanted it to be ok.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 760 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:03 am

Sorry, I've just seen this, I hope a cat hasn't had it.
A cat dragged and mutilated a young collared dove here in Barnoldswick - I announced it on facebook and three different bird rescuers were immediately tagged in the post and the bird was rescued within the hour....worth knowing there are people out there.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 760 times
Has Liked: 1850 times

Post by morpheus2 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:06 am

I posted it on the local facebook page, not my own page.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:15 am

Siddo wrote:Update! Had a look first thing this morning and it has gone. Hopefully made a recovery and managed to fly away.
You should read their website.

On killing injured birds, I did just that (I may have told this story before).

I was cutting a cricket square, going up and down with a mower. When I got to one end I saw at the other end two crows attacking a pigeon. They were plucking at the equivalent of its shoulders of the wings so presumably trying to stop it flying away before they went for the kill. As I now approached with the mower the crows flew off but the pigeon didn't. I stopped the mower and went towards the pigeon which seemed to walk towards me for protection. What should I do.

I decided that it couldn't fly and therefore the best solution was to put it out of it's misery. How to do that? Well, I'd read how you kill chickens - you place it under one arm, grab hold of the head, yank it up and then twist. The head should now flop down and the deed is done. I did this with the pigeon, only when I pulled the head up it came off! I don't know who was more shocked - me or the pigeon. After I'd done this I felt its wings flapping under my arm! Did this mean it could still fly?!!!!

Anyway, I disposed of the pigeon bits under a bush and went on with my mowing. The crows came back to look for their quarry and seemed to be surprised it wasn't there. I just carried on mowing as if nothing had happened.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6947 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:20 am

Hipper wrote:You should read their website.

I was cutting a cricket square, going up and down with a mower. When I got to one end I saw at the other end two crows attacking a pigeon. They were plucking at the equivalent of its shoulders of the wings so presumably trying to stop it flying away before they went for the kill. As I now approached with the mower the crows flew off but the pigeon didn't. I stopped the mower and went towards the pigeon which seemed to walk towards me for protection. What should I do.

I decided that it couldn't fly and therefore the best solution was to put it out of it's misery. How to do that? Well, I'd read how you kill chickens - you place it under one arm, grab hold of the head, yank it up and then twist. The head should now flop down and the deed is done. I did this with the pigeon, only when I pulled the head up it came off! I don't know who was more shocked - me or the pigeon. After I'd done this I felt its wings flapping under my arm! Did this mean it could still fly?!!!!

Anyway, I disposed of the pigeon bits under a bush and went on with my mowing. The crows came back to look for their quarry and seemed to be surprised it wasn't there. I just carried on mowing as if nothing had happened.
Sounds like a scene from a Coen Brothers film.
These 2 users liked this post: Siddo duncandisorderly

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1153 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am

Our cat brought in a young blackbird. Looked ok but too young to fly so presumed it had fallen out of the nest.

Couldn't leave it outside low down as the cats would get it again, so placed it in a box on top of a 2 metre hedge and hoped that the mother would find and feed it.

She did for a while until a crow swooped down and took it :-(

Nature can be tough sometimes

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:16 am

I am getting very worried about the psychopathic tendencies of some posters on here. :lol:

dsr

Post by dsr » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:23 am

The RSPB is set up to help birds as a species, not birds individually. They have enough funds and supporters to put watches on the nests of the occasional rare bird like osprey or golden eagle, but not on every sparrow's nest in the country.

Like I said, a billion small birds will die this year. Can the RSPB prevent this?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:13 pm

dsr wrote:The RSPB is set up to help birds as a species, not birds individually. They have enough funds and supporters to put watches on the nests of the occasional rare bird like osprey or golden eagle, but not on every sparrow's nest in the country.
This.

They also protect and provide habitats where endangered birds can thrive.

Stan Tastic
Been Liked: 444 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by Stan Tastic » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:31 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:We have this problem all the time. 99/100 recover and fly happily away.
Take the mirror down.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:54 pm

Has Quentin Tarantino been in touch yet sounds like a scene he could adapt into the next "Django" movie ...

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:13 pm

Give it a bit of time to sort itself out or twist its neck.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:27 pm

morpheus2 wrote:Sorry, I've just seen this, I hope a cat hasn't had it.
A cat dragged and mutilated a young collared dove here in Barnoldswick - I announced it on facebook and three different bird rescuers were immediately tagged in the post and the bird was rescued within the hour....worth knowing there are people out there.
Did they have the letters K F and C on their tunic?

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by duncandisorderly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Sounds like a scene from a Coen Brothers film.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's great is that.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:30 am

New campaign...

JUSTICE FOR BIRD

duncandisorderly
Been Liked: 970 times