if you come to London, you're in, says...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Re: if you come to London, you're in, says...

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:08 am

It's not a Chinese them park with a pub with a Beefeater outside and Windsor Castle next to the Tower of London, with Harrods squeezed in between.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:10 am

Siddo wrote:We visit London at least twice a year and the cheapest pint in London costs more than the most expensive in Manchester.
Both are fantastic cities.

Where is the most expensive pint in Manchester ?

Quite a few places in Manchester are over £5 a pint these days.

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 am

Who gives a damn about the price of a pint in London v. Manchester, that's not the point of the thread. It's the filth that place is selling as a franchise of hell for the rest of the country to kow-tow to.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 2976 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:15 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:nice to read that the positive , pro london comments invariably come from comfortably off northeren elements who can sample the quality end of big city life. all big city dwellers have an ability to espouse the finery and choice, provided they have fat wallets. the rest of you can go to hell, as its too rich for your thickheaded palates.
Nice to know that you have somehow gained insight into my finances Wile E. To be fair I sometimes enjoy your rants s I lie back on my banknote-stuffed mattress but you are coming across as a touch deranged here. I've lived in and around London for all my adult life and , contrary to the stereotypes, people down here are actually pretty much the same as up north in terms of their day-to-day concerns, struggles and pleasures. The environment is (also as up north) variable between the "s***-hole" parts (which as always play their part in the overall mix of life) and the "posh" bits. I'd agree with those who praise the benefits of the massive diversity which is, and has always been, a feature of London. I must have worked with or for people from the majority of countries on earth in my time and this is something I've really enjoyed.

Some of the posts on this thread read like the resentful gibbering of medieval peasants resentfully and ignorantly confined to their own village. Burnley and Pendle area is fantastic in so many ways, London is a great capital city. Both have their problems ...stay positive, try and do your bit to improve stuff and try and enjoy life whether your walking up Pendle or taking a stroll along the South Bank. It's more fun than seething about fantasy stereotypes.
These 2 users liked this post: clerkenwell.claret nil_desperandum

Pstotto

Post by Pstotto » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm

Thus spoke Ponceous Pilates...

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1600 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:17 pm

I love London. Lived there for 8 years in the 1980’s.

It’s not a great place if you’re poor and the cost of housing is ludicrous.

I used to go to the film premieres, the many Art galleries, watch cricket on Barnes Common on Sunday mornings, shop on the Kings Road, watch the Boat Race, go to a Camden pub to watch The Pogues, enjoy the parks...

Great place to visit!
This user liked this post: tim_noone