Jeff Hendrick's contract

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Re: Jeff Hendrick's contract

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:22 am

amazed nobody has come on and told us the exact terms of his contract considering how many on here are seemingly present in the room for all our negotiations !!!

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:57 am

Jeff would be sorely missed if he was to leave. Excellent player for us and we should be tying him down to a new contract.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2829 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 am

John Johnson 1605 wrote:What side in the PL/top half of the Championship would take him on current contract terms?
I imagine there'll be a queue of managers who believe they can get the best out a midfielder who is 6 foot tall and broad, covers the ground at good pace and as generally a good athlete, is a decent passer of the ball and has the technical ability to score the sort of goal he scored at Chelsea. If you told most of our supporters we were signing a midfielder from Belgium they'd never really heard of but described Jeff Hendrick's qualities, they'd be delighted.

Hendrick's weaknesses, whilst overstated, are really between the ears - an occasional tendency to make daft decisions, an occasional lack of decisiveness and a tendency to fade to the periphery of games when he does make mistakes. Probably perpetuated by the fact his mistakes get seized upon by a section of our support.

But if he puts it all together, you've got a super player. Even to replace everything he offers us, you'd probably be looking at north of £15 million in this market. So it's hugely important we tie him down to a new deal.
These 4 users liked this post: Tall Paul tiger76 Brucefanclaret JohnDearyMe

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:29 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Check this out

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jeff-hend ... erein/1132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anybody see the pattern?

Granted, the whole team was shocking before Christmas. During that time Hendrick was shuffled about along the centre line and given bit parts.

Come January and he is moved to right midfield, which allows him to cut in and support midfield, releasing Westwood at times and contributing to a more dynamic fluidity throughout the team.

All of a sudden we start racking up the wins and draws until late February when we suffer a bit of a dip. Coincidently this also corresponds to the emergence of the " cross to crouch hail Mary " tactic we started employing until an appendix saved us from it.

During that four match losing streak our Hendrick played CM against Newcastle ( Westwood was out with a cold if I remember ) and we lost. In the next match against Crystal Palace we dominated the first half, Hendrick came off and we got our ass handed to us on a plate in the second. The loss to Liverpool was to be expected. Hendrick is benched against Leicester and we lose again.

He is added back into the squad at RM and we start racking up the points again, before we enter the final three matches. A great performance against Man City, he plays a bit part against Everton and by the Arsenal match the deck chairs are out and everyone is coasting a bit.

A lot is made about the positive impact the return of Heaton had on our season ( rightly so ), along with the impressive performances of Dwight and Westwood in midfield. However, the contribution of Hendrick, which as usual went largely unnoticed, was in my opinion another major factor in our re-emergence.

He might not stand out as the obvious Golden Boy, but a lot of that is simply down to the fact that he is consistently working his nuts off to give everyone else the freedom to play their best game and look better. Nobody deserves the accolade of unsung hero and team player more than Hendrick.

There are going to be times when JBG or Lennon ( maybe even Brady ) will be better tactical options on the right, but Hendrick is a vital member of our squad and his versatility is hugely important.

As others have said he is one of those players whose true value and importance is only realised when he isn't on the pitch. When the chips are down we can rely on Hendrick to fight for every inch and give no less than 100%. Even in our pre Christmas matches he was giving everything he had and looked to be the only one that consistently showed true grit when other players were wavering a bit.

Definitely deserves a new contract, we are lucky to have him.
Hugely important in the midfield 4 we played in the second half of last season, and as well as releasing Westwood on occasions it also released McNeil to roam a bit more as the midfield 4 could become a central 3 quite easily.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:56 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Check this out

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jeff-hend ... erein/1132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can anybody see the pattern?

Granted, the whole team was shocking before Christmas. During that time Hendrick was shuffled about along the centre line and given bit parts.

Come January and he is moved to right midfield, which allows him to cut in and support midfield, releasing Westwood at times and contributing to a more dynamic fluidity throughout the team.

All of a sudden we start racking up the wins and draws until late February when we suffer a bit of a dip. Coincidently this also corresponds to the emergence of the " cross to crouch hail Mary " tactic we started employing until an appendix saved us from it.

During that four match losing streak our Hendrick played CM against Newcastle ( Westwood was out with a cold if I remember ) and we lost. In the next match against Crystal Palace we dominated the first half, Hendrick came off and we got our ass handed to us on a plate in the second. The loss to Liverpool was to be expected. Hendrick is benched against Leicester and we lose again.

He is added back into the squad at RM and we start racking up the points again, before we enter the final three matches. A great performance against Man City, he plays a bit part against Everton and by the Arsenal match the deck chairs are out and everyone is coasting a bit.

A lot is made about the positive impact the return of Heaton had on our season ( rightly so ), along with the impressive performances of Dwight and Westwood in midfield. However, the contribution of Hendrick, which as usual went largely unnoticed, was in my opinion another major factor in our re-emergence.

He might not stand out as the obvious Golden Boy, but a lot of that is simply down to the fact that he is consistently working his nuts off to give everyone else the freedom to play their best game and look better. Nobody deserves the accolade of unsung hero and team player more than Hendrick.

There are going to be times when JBG or Lennon ( maybe even Brady ) will be better tactical options on the right, but Hendrick is a vital member of our squad and his versatility is hugely important.

As others have said he is one of those players whose true value and importance is only realised when he isn't on the pitch. When the chips are down we can rely on Hendrick to fight for every inch and give no less than 100%. Even in our pre Christmas matches he was giving everything he had and looked to be the only one that consistently showed true grit when other players were wavering a bit.

Definitely deserves a new contract, we are lucky to have him.
Excellent post.
I just cannot understand why players like Jeff get so much stick. We over perform just by being in the PL, with players who over perform in every game, yet the so called experts on here can't wait to show their so called knowledge by hammering certain individuals..
Every one of our players does their best every game. That's why I support Burnley and Sean Dyche, and I for one will not malign anyone who is trying their best.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:02 am

One place i dont want to see Hendrick anywhere near this season is the number 10 spot - at least Jay CAN play this position if required.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:14 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:One place i dont want to see Hendrick anywhere near this season is the number 10 spot - at least Jay CAN play this position if required.
Does anyone else want SD to play him there, just to see BOYSIE have a meltdown?
This user liked this post: BOYSIE31

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:23 am

Chester Perry wrote:not sure what anyone thinks is wrong with that, given that the contract is specific to Jeff Hendrick - Hendricks on the other hand
Gonna pop ya in me keep net ta

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 328 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Woonderbah » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 am

Vegas Claret wrote:amazed nobody has come on and told us the exact terms of his contract considering how many on here are seemingly present in the room for all our negotiations !!!
At the moment, Hendrick is on two Mars bars and a Twix per week.
His agent is suggesting an improved contract of two Mars bars, a Twix and a Curly Wurly.
The Board's sharp intake of breath on hearing this was enough to suck my toupee off.
FACT.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Does anyone else want SD to play him there, just to see BOYSIE have a meltdown?
Painful on the eyes and was like playing with 10 men nevermind number 10 :shock:

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Painful on the eyes and was like playing with 10 men nevermind number 10 :shock:
The other ten must have been bloody good then, we got to fourth in the PL with Hendrick playing in that role.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 am

Strange player on this board as a lot of posters can’t seem to judge him on what he actually does.

One group go over the top with praise, the other group go over the top with criticism.

The Graham Branch effect.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 am

Tall Paul wrote:The other ten must have been bloody good then, we got to fourth in the PL with Hendrick playing in that role.
Not his fault but i bet he got subbed in almost every game with no assists

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Strange player on this board as a lot of posters can’t seem to judge him on what he actually does.

One group go over the top with praise, the other group go over the top with criticism.

The Graham Branch effect.
He gets stick when announced in the starting 11, even if he played well in the game previous.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:09 am

In fact i would go as far as being the most subbed player under Dyche if anyone has the stats at hand.

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:15 am

A player who gives 100% and does a job no matter where Sean puts him, a hugely valuable member of our squad! The amount of stick he comes in for is nothing short of a disgrace, don't care who you are, nobody deserves the stick he gets, there are people sat around me who are itching for him to misplace a pass just to have a go, then mock him when he does something well, it is embarrassing.

I would say that the way he plays often appears that he isn't giving 100%, which is maybe his downfall for some, but if you actually look at his work rate off the ball, it is incredible. I for one hope we offer him another 3 years
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret elwaclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

As others have pointed out when Hendrick was playing regularly in the advanced role we had our best period at this level by a long way. I'd have liked to have seen him given a run of games in the middle with Westwood last season given Cork's struggles.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:24 am

I'd be surprised if he plays in the 10 again. I thought him and Lowton were very organised with him on the right, and with McNeil pushing further up it was a good balance.

Of course, it also depends on the opposition. JBG on the right can sometimes work against us if it's against a quick counterattacking team.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:27 am

Tremendous work rate and attitude. I wouldn't hesitate about offering him a new deal.

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:36 am

The tipping point is usually 18 months. Obviously Sean Dyche doesn’t think he’s up to it, otherwise he’d have been offered one by now.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:42 am

Winstonswhite wrote:The tipping point is usually 18 months. Obviously Sean Dyche doesn’t think he’s up to it, otherwise he’d have been offered one by now.
Really? You think we are willing to let a player go for nothing when he's one of our most expensive signings?

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 608 times
Has Liked: 310 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am

Not sure. I’m just saying you’d have thought he’d have been offered a new contract by now. Or do they not release info like that?

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:45 am

Spijed wrote:Really? You think we are willing to let a player go for nothing when he's one of our most expensive signings?
You need a club willing to pay money for him to be able to sell him.

There's never been any rumours since Leicester were willing to buy him a couple of years back.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:24 pm

I trust Sean Dyche's judgement on his 1st team players. Interesting that he thinks Hendrick is good enough to be part of the matchday squad for all 38 Premier League games and to have him on the pitch for all or part of 32 of those matches. 12x90 minutes, 14 subbed off (45-82 minutes played) and just 6 subbed on (1-35 minutes played). His 6 unused sub appearances resulted in 3 wins and 3 defeats. I think SD certainly considers him to be an integral part of the 25!

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:50 pm

bfcmik wrote:I trust Sean Dyche's judgement on his 1st team players. Interesting that he thinks Hendrick is good enough to be part of the matchday squad for all 38 Premier League games and to have him on the pitch for all or part of 32 of those matches. 12x90 minutes, 14 subbed off (45-82 minutes played) and just 6 subbed on (1-35 minutes played). His 6 unused sub appearances resulted in 3 wins and 3 defeats. I think SD certainly considers him to be an integral part of the 25!

Im sure he does but we need better to progress as a club - and thats what 90% on here do not realise.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:51 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Im sure he does but we need better to progress as a club - and thats what 90% on here do not realise.
So basically when it comes to Jeff Hendrick you are saying supporters know more than SD?

That's what it sounds like.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:53 pm

Spijed wrote:So basically when it comes to Jeff Hendrick you are saying supporters know more than SD?

No but i think Dyche is limited to who he can get in through the door - but we do need better but if we cant get it then Hendrick has to do which is a shame.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:22 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:No but i think Dyche is limited to who he can get in through the door - but we do need better but if we cant get it then Hendrick has to do which is a shame.
True. We are limited in who we can get through the door. Limited by transfer fees, limited by wages, limited by our small town, stuck out of the way location and small club reputation, limited by the style of play, limited by our character demands.

We are Burnley not Barcelona!

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1152 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:57 pm

Oddly I’ve never heard Hendrick getting stick on a match( maybe the odd grumble when team is announced ) only on here ? Then again not heard racist abuse for donkeys yrs but to hear some you’d think it was like a Hitler rally . He’s ok in a Scotty kind of way works hard and won’t let anyone down, few would even notice if he left but on balance I’d keep him for his general versatility .

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:05 pm

Definitely would be looking to give Jeff a new deal personally. He’s versatile and always gives 100%. It would cost us at least £10m - £15m to replace him, so it’s a no brainier really.

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:12 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:Im sure he does but we need better to progress as a club - and thats what 90% on here do not realise.
Why do we need to progress as a club, we’re doing superbly well at the moment, excellent business model, a top half Premier League finish. It’s a flaming miracle that we’re in this position. Do you honestly believe that anyone who was on the Turf 30 years ago could of dreamed we’d be here, even in their wildest dreams?

Would you have the club forget all that, over extend and put ourselves in debt, get rid of the players who got us here and replace them with £20m - £30m mercenaries on massive wages.

It’s an incredibly big gamble to spend big money, if it goes wrong, you end up like Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Charlton, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sunderland... to name but a few. Ask fans of those clubs if they’d swap with us, because I guarantee they would.
This user liked this post: Tall Paul

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Why do we need to progress as a club, we’re doing superbly well at the moment, excellent business model, a top half Premier League finish. It’s a flaming miracle that we’re in this position. Do you honestly believe that anyone who was on the Turf 30 years ago could of dreamed we’d be here, even in their wildest dreams?

Would you have the club forget all that, over extend and put ourselves in debt, get rid of the players who got us here and replace them with £20m - £30m mercenaries on massive wages.

It’s an incredibly big gamble to spend big money, if it goes wrong, you end up like Blackburn, Bolton, Leeds, Charlton, Coventry, Portsmouth, Sunderland... to name but a few. Ask fans of those clubs if they’d swap with us, because I guarantee they would.
Good post.

I'm also not sure where there is for us to progress to, we've pretty much hit the ceiling for a club like ours.

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Good post.

I'm also not sure where there is for us to progress to, we've pretty much hit the ceiling for a club like ours.
Unless we find a glass elevator filled with a few billion. Maybe a miracle cup final if we took them more seriously would be the furthest probably.

Worse teams have reached them.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:56 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:No but i think Dyche is limited to who he can get in through the door - but we do need better but if we cant get it then Hendrick has to do which is a shame.
When I first started playing golf regularly, I got better really quickly and my handicap got lots lower very fast. But after a while, I stopped getting better quite so fast because it turned out that, whilst I was enthusiastic and tried hard, I wasn't especially talented. So whilst i improved a bit, it was a lot slower than when I hadn't begun to push on the limits of my ability.

It's a bit the same with Burnley in the transfer market now.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:04 pm

I'm definitely in the 90%.
Progress is hard to define, I'd settle for continued survival at least until we are producing a few first-teamers through the youth system.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:08 pm

boatshed bill wrote:I'm definitely in the 90%.
Progress is hard to define, I'd settle for continued survival at least until we are producing a few first-teamers through the youth system.
Yep. Progress can be off the pitch too, such as making more money from remaining in the Prem, year on year and improving the stadium, training ground and ticket office, academy et al.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3155 times
Has Liked: 6742 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:24 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Yep. Progress can be off the pitch too, such as making more money from remaining in the Prem, year on year and improving the stadium, training ground and ticket office, academy et al.
When you look at our recent achievements against the odds we have improved beyond anything most of us could have imagined. It's not so long ago we had to sell Turf Moor, and only thanks to Barry Kilby that things were not a whole lot worse.

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:24 am

Tall Paul wrote:Good post.

Its called outside investment for which we are forever turning away. :roll:

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Its called outside investment for which we are forever turning away. :roll:
Can you provide one example with proof that Burnley have turned down substantial outside investment?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5553 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 am

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:Can you provide one example with proof that Burnley have turned down substantial outside investment?
Shackleton

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4181 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:32 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Its called outside investment for which we are forever turning away. :roll:

Which investors have been turned away and what were they offering + wanting in return ?

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:36 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Shackleton
Shackleton :D

Suggest you give this the once over:

http://www.clarets-mad.co.uk/feat/edb1/ ... ndex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:39 am

Ha not Shackleton but been a few these last few years and you have to ask the board why ??

UpTheClaretsFCBK

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:28 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Ha not Shackleton but been a few these last few years and you have to ask the board why ??
How do you know we’re constantly turning down outside investment if you can’t cite an example?

Tall Paul

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:51 am

Yes outside investment would make it possible to progress, but I don't believe we've been turning it away.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3860 times
Has Liked: 2068 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:06 am

An entire thread with 90 odd replies but hardly anything to do with the contract situation.

Did nobody ask him at Fleetwood?

BOYSIE31

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:07 am

Tall Paul wrote:Yes outside investment would make it possible to progress, but I don't believe we've been turning it away.
Well they have and heard it several times - i agree that we do need something to move up a slight level.

yosserhughes
Been Liked: 36 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by yosserhughes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:18 am

Spijed wrote:So basically when it comes to Jeff Hendrick you are saying supporters know more than SD?

So has the Club and SD offered JH a new contract ?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:20 am

BOYSIE31 wrote:Well they have and heard it several times - i agree that we do need something to move up a slight level.
Where have you heard this? It’s also worth remembering that even if we had received offers of investment, that those offering may not have been deemed to be suitable.

There are plenty of owners or otherwise, past and present at other clubs, that we’d do very well to avoid.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 am

The upgrade we need though would only move Hendrick down and the player behind him should be moved on. In my opinion that is Lennon. That way you are improving your 11 and also your squad strengthens