Amazon - drive vs. Photos

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Amazon - drive vs. Photos

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 pm

Anyone use either of these platforms for backups of pictures or videos?

Didn't realise I had access to both. Had photos free as a prime member but have paid to upgrade to 1tb video and unlimited photo storage on Photos. However when doing a backup of all my photos from the folders on laptop they have gone into drive not photos.

Isnt an issue as such as long as I understand the difference between the two. Been having issues backing up from Samsung on the photos app. So as long as I can back them up (and access them) makes no odds where they are stored. Just unsure what the difference between the two is.

Thanks

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Re: Amazon - drive vs. Photos

Post by tarkys_ears » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:40 pm

I used google drive and photos. I pay for 100gb as I want to upload original quality photos, not the free reduced size ones.

Can't beat the google photos app. I love the collages and the fact it knows what and where things are even from stuff uploaded from 15 years ago without geolocation info in the file!

You sound like an android user, try it out

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:59 pm

It sounds like the same concept although Amazon is a crap system. Totally user unfriendly. I assume I can migrate all that data to Google?

In a separate but similar topic, what prompted this is the external hard drive i back things up on locally (dual copies of everything then) has malfunctioned. Typically its the only one I haven't yet backed up to the cloud. All pics and videos of daughter organised in files in date order. HDD wont turn on whatsoever. Initially was working if cable held in a certain position. But now nothing at all. Wont power up at all. (I have two of the same -one works one doesn't so it isn't the cable).

Assume its the power / socket. And data itself will be recoverable. But another pain in the arse! Had similar with a new laptop recently but that issue was sorted eventually. Typically like all new devices you cant open it without physically damaging it.

******* TECHNOLOGY!!!!! (And to think I work in and with it :-( )

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:06 am

Just looking at migrate to google. Not as straightforward as you would hope. Seems you have to download all content from amazon to a device then backup from that device...

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1029 times
Has Liked: 1521 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:03 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Just looking at migrate to google. Not as straightforward as you would hope. Seems you have to download all content from amazon to a device then backup from that device...
Yeah but once it's done it's done. From thence forth, anything taken on a phone/tablet with google photos is automatically uploaded and sorted etc.

Give it a try and see if you like it before going through the pain of it all but imo its well worth it.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:41 am

tarkys_ears wrote:Yeah but once it's done it's done. From thence forth, anything taken on a phone/tablet with google photos is automatically uploaded and sorted etc.

Give it a try and see if you like it before going through the pain of it all but imo its well worth it.
Same as amazon in principle. However Amazon doesn't like Samsung by the looks of it!