Democracy and Brexit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Democracy and Brexit

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:58 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:I agree, in fact not only do I think Britain should leave but it should leave now with no deal, it should keep the 39 billion and never let another European into the country, not even on holiday. Britain should no longer do any deals with the EU, we shouldn't be allowed to sell our stuff there and they shouldn't be allowed to sell their stuff here either. Let's fill in the channel tunnel and throw anyone foreign in the sea.
Make Britain Great Again!
I assume you're Boris's speech writer now C-O-A-T,that's very Trumpian,BTW apparently it's not 39 billion anymore,as we're still an EU member we're still paying into the coffers,and the new figure we'll owe assuming i guess we leave by October 31st(we won''t BTW whatever Boris might state) will be 33 billion food for thought for all the ERG members who voted the WA down 3 times.

I've never understood how the 39 billion was even seen as a negotiating tool,we're obliged to stump up for our commitments well we where still members,i suppose the UK government could renege on those payments,but it'll affect our international standing and our credit rating.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 pm

tiger76 wrote:the UK government could renege on those payments,but it'll affect our international standing and our credit rating.
Only with foreigners we'll never see or hear or have to trade with again.

Make Britain Great Again.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Funnily enough, over 17 million people voted remain in 1975 to 8 million leavers..
Using Ringo's logic, why on earth did we have another referendum in 2016?
The people had spoken and by a massive majority voted to stay. Where is democracy in this instance?
I refuse to believe that anyone that voted leave in 2016 thought, or wanted to leave with no deal. I also think that no leave voter thought about the Irish border.
However, with some degree of stubbornness, these leave voters still want to leave, because they voted leave, and try to fool themselves that this is really what they wanted all along.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:The only reason i'm citing YouGov polls is because they're the major polling company that has polled this stuff the most.
I try not to use different polling companies, with different methodologies and questioning, to spot a trend if i don't have to.
I cannot be bothered with looking it up on your YouGov chart small print.
Somewhere it should give you a margin of error with certain confidence limits.
I suspect it is 2% or 3% margin of error within 95% confidence limits.
i.e. YouGov are 95% confident that their poll is within 3 percentage points of the correct answer if
the entire 'population' was asked the same question.

So the 42% to 44% figures that you are so excited about they are 95% confident will lie in the range
39 to 45%
and
41% to 47%

Statistically I would say the country is split.
There certainly isn't enough shift yet to be certain that re-running the referendum would give a different result.

Just so you are all sure, this long spreadsheet that IT has provided is a sample size of 2,150 people for a voting population of 47million people.
There is bound to be a 'margin of error'.

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:11 pm

Siddo wrote: Using Ringo's logic, .
Now there’s a statement!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Only with foreigners we'll never see or hear or have to trade with again.

Make Britain Great Again.
Of course the country would be bankrupt morally and financially,but that's just a minor detail.

Apparently it's going to be sunny uplands and unicorns so nothing else matters. :x
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:I cannot be bothered with looking it up on your YouGov chart small print.
Somewhere it should give you a margin of error with certain confidence limits.
I suspect it is 2% or 3% margin of error within 95% confidence limits.
i.e. YouGov are 95% confident that their poll is within 3 percentage points of the correct answer if
the entire 'population' was asked the same question.

So the 42% to 44% figures that you are so excited about they are 95% confident will lie in the range
39 to 45%
and
41% to 47%

Statistically I would say the country is split.
There certainly isn't enough shift yet to be certain that re-running the referendum would give a different result.

Just so you are all sure, this long spreadsheet that IT has provided is a sample size of 2,150 people for a voting population of 47million people.
There is bound to be a 'margin of error'.
Yes. it's 3% MoE with 95% confidence interval. Per poll.

No, the sample size isn't 2,150 for that long sheet. They don't just ask the same people over and over again every time they do a poll.

It's frankly ridiculous to suggest that we shouldn't have a referendum because we can't be certain of the result.

No, i'm not saying we should re-run the first referendum. I'm saying we should have a second referendum on the three available options, Remain, May's Deal, No Deal. With an instant run-off if no single answer receives majority support.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:34 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's frankly ridiculous to suggest that we shouldn't have a referendum because we can't be certain of the result.
I don't recall saying we shouldn't have a referendum.
I am merely pointing out that it wouldn't surprise me at all, if looking at your spreadsheet and given the margin of error,
that if we were to re-run the original referendum that we wouldn't just get the same result.
Isn't this the definition of insanity?

As for your second point. May's Deal? IT, things have moved on since then.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:03 pm

Siddo wrote:Funnily enough, over 17 million people voted remain in 1975 to 8 million leavers..
The people had spoken and by a massive majority voted to stay. Where is democracy in this instance?
I refuse to believe that anyone that voted leave in 2016 thought, or wanted to leave with no deal. I also think that no leave voter thought about the Irish border.
However, with some degree of stubbornness, these leave voters still want to leave, because they voted leave, and try to fool themselves that this is really what they wanted all along.
I like the thrill of a no deal. Reminds me of that Noel Edmonds TV show. How exciting.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:29 pm

Well I can only apologise again for starting this thread as it has opened the door once again for all the squabbling.

What I was really interested in was the idea of democracy and why one would consider a second referendum to be undemocratic. Somewhere along the way that all got lost but I would be interested to read people's views on that point. The Athenian model interests me with referendums being frequently held so that decisions can be changed and modified on a monthly basis. As I said before, it is hard to see how this can be effective in practice but it is a form of pure democracy. A bit like 24 karat gold, wonderful for its purity but not much use.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 833 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:36 pm

Erasmus wrote:Well I can only apologise again for starting this thread as it has opened the door once again for all the squabbling.

What I was really interested in was the idea of democracy and why one would consider a second referendum to be undemocratic. Somewhere along the way that all got lost but I would be interested to read people's views on that point. The Athenian model interests me with referendums being frequently held so that decisions can be changed and modified on a monthly basis. As I said before, it is hard to see how this can be effective in practice but it is a form of pure democracy. A bit like 24 karat gold, wonderful for its purity but not much use.
1st referendum - in or out?

2nd referendum - stay in or out (again)?

3rd referendum - stay out or go back in?

4th referendum - in, out, in, out, shake it all about?

One referendum was enough, time for Britain to leave. Britain tried to get a deal and couldn't so now it's time for no deal.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:38 pm

If the nation voted for Brexit and then they were asked do you want a polka dot Brexit or no Brexit in a referendum, if Corbyn had got his way, then it's not really democratic, it's pantomime democracy, it's asking the public to walk the plank of a sham.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5044 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 pm

Falcon wrote:We probably have the technology to do online voting referenda and restore the Greek model of direct democracy.

Whether that's a good idea or not is another question entirely.
The real world couldn't operate like that, every action has a reaction.
In a referenda the country would double the police, increase pensions, create more hospital beds, and reduce taxes......

It isnt that easy..

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Siddo wrote:Funnily enough, over 17 million people voted remain in 1975 to 8 million leavers..
You're assuming that the 1975 EEC and the 2016 EU are the same organisation. They aren't. It wasn't just the name that changed, it was the whole ideal changed from an economic community to a political union.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Falcon wrote:We probably have the technology to do online voting referenda and restore the Greek model of direct democracy.

Whether that's a good idea or not is another question entirely.
The holocaust was only a slightly worse idea than this.
This user liked this post: Falcon

dsr
Been Liked: 4576 times
Has Liked: 2264 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:I get 44 + 42 = 86...isn't that 14% Don't knows?
Turnout in the poll is 93%, made up of 44% remain, 42% leave, 7% undecided. The other 7% say they wouldn't vote.

Obviously the non-voters would be a lot more than 7%, but we don't know in what proportion the absentees would be Leavers or Remainers. And some of the 7% don't knows would make up their mind and vote, even though at this stage they're undecided; and we don't know who they would vote for either.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 pm

A 2nd referendum including 'To Remain' would be undemocratic in my view because the citizens of the UK have already rejected that in the 2016 referendum.
That argument was lost and if MPs had accepted that , which I thought was the case when law was made in Parliament by these MPs that the UK would leave the EU either with a deal or No Deal , we would not be where we are.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:25 pm

dsr wrote:Turnout in the poll is 93%, made up of 44% remain, 42% leave, 7% undecided. The other 7% say they wouldn't vote.

Obviously the non-voters would be a lot more than 7%, but we don't know in what proportion the absentees would be Leavers or Remainers. And some of the 7% don't knows would make up their mind and vote, even though at this stage they're undecided; and we don't know who they would vote for either.

Yes. I read the poll already.

And we can estimate the "don't knows" because we know how they voted last time (because YouGov are very good at what they do and asked for that info from them too)

The evidence is clearly pointing to us having changed our mind. It must be allowed to be put on trial and either be proved or disproved.

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 pm

Erasmus - I don't think the problem is that a second referendum would be undemocratic. The problem lies in not implementing the result of the first one.

All the stuff about the Leave campaign said this and the Remain campaign said that is just noise. Same with the referendum was only advisory point. It's irrelevant. I'm told the referendum was advisory from a legal standpoint but it's academic. Every voter understood that it was a simple In or Out and the result would be implemented based on a 50% plus majority. If that does not happen it is a big problem for our democracy - why bother voting?

In case you think I am biased, I was genuinely 50:50 on Brexit until 23 June 2016. I only became 100% Brexit on 24 June 2016 because that is what we voted for.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 pm

android wrote:Erasmus - I don't think the problem is that a second referendum would be undemocratic. The problem lies in not implementing the result of the first one.

All the stuff about the Leave campaign said this and the Remain campaign said that is just noise. Same with the referendum was only advisory point. It's irrelevant. I'm told the referendum was advisory from a legal standpoint but it's academic. Every voter understood that it was a simple In or Out and the result would be implemented based on a 50% plus majority. If that does not happen it is a big problem for our democracy - why bother voting?

In case you think I am biased, I was genuinely 50:50 on Brexit until 23 June 2016. I only became 100% Brexit on 24 June 2016 because that is what we voted for.
If we have a referendum and the result of that is to tell government not to implement the result of the first referendum then what's the problem? We'll have democratically decided not to implement it.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:36 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:If we have a referendum and the result of that is to tell government not to implement the result of the first referendum then what's the problem? We'll have democratically decided not to implement it.
Because we won’t have enacted the first referendum and left the EU. We’ll never be able to get back in on terms as good as we have now making a second referendum a waste of time. Then, and only then, can we have a second referendum.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 pm

I think you're revealing your dog brain there, Gary.... 'If we vote yes and then no, what difference does it make, it's our choice yeah'

'Bark to go out and then bark to come in again' democracy, eh?

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:39 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:If we have a referendum and the result of that is to tell government not to implement the result of the first referendum then what's the problem? We'll have democratically decided not to implement it.
Could we do something similar at the next GE if Labour or Tory win it?

Have another one the following month...

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Could we do something similar at the next GE if Labour or Tory win it?

We’ve had general elections before the end of a government’s five year term lots of times over the years, the last time being the last general election just two years after the previous one. So in answer to your question, yes we can.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 pm

I voted leave in 2016,but i certainly didn't vote for no deal,the problem is nothing can get a majority in parliament.

May's deal=WA voted down 3 times

2nd referendum=voted down at least twice possibly more.

Customs union=voted down again at least twice.

Revocation of A50 again no majority-even though the 2016 referendum was only advisory,if parliament genuinely believes leaving the EU is a terrible idea,then grow some balls and vote accordingly.

And lastly no deal=again cannot command a majority,and never will whatever Boris says.

My compromise would be a permanent CU,this would i believe solve the Irish border issue,and i think would get the backing of the DUP,however the main stumbling block is the evangelical ERG,they won't accept anything that doesn't fit their brexit paradise narrative,but this is one of the options that might command a majority in the HOC,whether that would still be the case now is open to question,but it's one of the few credible options to move the process forward,the country is bored of brexit and wants to get onto other important policies such as climate change and social care amongst other things.

In reply to the op,no a 2nd referendum isn't undemocratic in itself,but if the questions are remain in the EU/or leave with no-deal,where do the millions of leave voters that want a sensible brexit place their cross,people are being forced to choose between two extremes.

For what it's worth i'll abstain if that's the options presented,no-deal is a non-sequitur anyway,because if we want to trade with the EU,which i'm sure even the likes of Nigel Farage and JRM would agree that we do,then at some point we'll have to bite the bullet and agree a future trading relationship,ideally this would happen well we're on good terms with our European neighbours.

Now it's just possible that Boris can produce a rabbit out of the hat to break the current impasse,but i have grave doubts.

The most likely outcome is yet another extension,but even that's by means guaranteed,and might well come with conditions attached,so much for taking back control.

A genuine question for people that wish to remain and reform the EU,i don't completely disagree with this approach,i'm unsure how these reforms would be achieved and what they would involve however.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:45 pm

martin_p wrote:We’ve had general elections before the end of a government’s five year term lots of times over the years, the last time being the last general election just two years after the previous one. So in answer to your question, yes we can.
Can we keep demanding another one straight after until we all get a result we like?

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:46 pm

tiger76 wrote: In reply to the op,no a 2nd referendum isn't undemocratic in itself,but if the questions are remain in the EU/or leave with no-deal,where do the millions of leave voters that want a sensible brexit place their cross,people are being forced to choose between two extremes.
But that would just be an acceptance that, after three plus years trying, there isn’t any such thing as a sensible Brexit.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:46 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Could we do something similar at the next GE if Labour or Tory win it?

If there's as much evidence of a change of mind among the public, of course. But you're comparing apples and oranges, and you know it.

We get regular general elections and even of one party wins narrowly we know that we can always change our mind. But with this EU referendum you're saying that we're not allowed to change our mind. You're saying we're not allowed to democratically reverse a decision we democratically reached. You're saying that the democratic process we used to make that decision would become an undemocratic process if we used the exact same process to reverse it. And that's really dumb.

This isn't about the will of the people for you brexiters. If it was then you'd be really concerned about the evidence that the will of the people has changed. Instead you're trying to subvert democracy by doing everything you can to make sure we never get to find out if the will of the people has changed, and i can't think of many things more undemocratic than that.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Can we keep demanding another one straight after until we all get a result we like?
Yep, we can demand anything we want. Parliament would have to agree to it of course, the same way they’d have to agree to a second referendum.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Why not just stop having general elections? Why should we be allowed to change our mind from 2017? That's basically what you people are saying when you argue against a second referendum. I mean, if apples and oranges are the same thing, why not?
Last edited by Imploding Turtle on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:47 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:If there's as much evidence of a change of mind among the public, of course. But you're comparing apples and oranges, and you know it.

We get regular general elections and even of one party wins narrowly we know that we can always change our mind. But with this EU referendum you're saying that we're not allowed to change our mind. You're saying we're not allowed to democratically reverse a decision we democratically reached. You're saying that the democratic process we used to make that decision would become an undemocratic process if we used the exact same process to reverse it. And that's really dumb.

This isn't about the will of the people for you brexiters. If it was then you'd be really concerned about the evidence that the will of the people has changed. Instead you're trying to subvert democracy by doing everything you can to make sure we never get to find out if the will of the people has changed, and i can't think of many things more undemocratic than that.

We give the government a chance to do its thing after a GE.
You're not even interested in giving Brexit a try.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Why not just stop having general elections? Why should we be allowed to change our mind from 2017? That's basically what you people are saying when you argue against a second referendum.
Why vote at all if you're not going to respect the result?

That's basically what you're doing.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:49 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:We give the government a chance to do its thing after a GE.

No, i'm not. But that's not why i'm calling for a second referendum.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:50 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Why vote at all if you're not going to respect the result?

That's basically what you're doing.

I am respecting the result. But more important than that result is the actual will of the people.

android
Been Liked: 121 times
Has Liked: 43 times

Post by android » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 pm

I understand the argument to a degree. If there was a likelihood of say 75-25 Remain in a 2nd vote it would be different to the current situation where it is likely to be close to 50-50 again. People were told it was their decision and they are fully aware that the majority of politicians did not like the result - reneging can't be good without a very clear swing.

Don't normally go for that type of humour but have to admit your post 115 made me laugh

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 pm

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:53 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:We give the government a chance to do its thing after a GE.
We’ve given the government over three years to sort Brexit and they haven’t done it. That’s longer than many governments last!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 pm

martin_p wrote:But that would just be an acceptance that, after three plus years trying, there isn’t any such thing as a sensible Brexit.
Well maybe but the current cabinet will need convincing i'm afraid,i suspect the UK will end up staying in the EU after all,if that is the case then we need to stop moaning about the EU day in day out(yes i'm referring to the tabloid press),and play a more positive role in it's future,instead of being an awkward partner,ATM we're half in/half out,which is no good to us or the other member states.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 pm

android wrote:I understand the argument to a degree. If there was a likelihood of say 75-25 Remain in a 2nd vote it would be different to the current situation where it is likely to be close to 50-50 again. People were told it was their decision and they are fully aware that the majority of politicians did not like the result - reneging can't be good without a very clear swing.

Don't normally go for that type of humour but have to admit your post 115 made me laugh
How is it that a less than 52-48 win for Leave is legitimate, but unless Remain wins a second one by about 75-25 then it's not even worth having a second referendum? That's an insane double-standard.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:58 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:I am respecting the result. But more important than that result is the actual will of the people.
You're not interested in the will of the people if it isn't what you want though.

The people voted to leave and you've whinged about it ever since and tried to find anything you can to undermine it on here.

When you respect the will of the people then I'd take you more seriously but you haven't, probably never will.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 pm

tiger76 wrote:Well maybe but the current cabinet will need convincing i'm afraid,i suspect the UK will end up staying in the EU after all,if that is the case then we need to stop moaning about the EU day in day out(yes i'm referring to the tabloid press),and play a more positive role in it's future,instead of being an awkward partner,ATM we're half in/half out,which is no good to us or the other member states.
Not many people were whinging about the EU until the government were looking for someone else to blame for the impact of their austerity measures.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:02 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You're not interested in the will of the people if it isn't what you want though.

The people voted to leave and you've whinged about it ever since and tried to find anything you can to undermine it on here.

When you respect the will of the people then I'd take you more seriously but you haven't, probably never will.
The will of just over half of those who voted (not ‘the people’) was to leave the eu. We’ve been trying to do it for over three years without success and it’s crippling the country. Time to check the whether just over half still want to leave.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:03 am

martin_p wrote:The will of just over half of those who voted (not ‘the people’) was to leave the eu. We’ve been trying to do it for over three years without success and it’s crippling the country. Time to check the whether just over half still want to leave.
It's an issue because as usual a British government can't tell its arse from its elbow.

If they'd grown a set from day one and actually sent some negotiators with a clue then we'd be all right.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 am

As much as Android is a poor reader of people at times, I have to support his reasoning and question your double standards claim. I think you are caught up in the moment.
It is clear he is using the 75/25 to simply demonstrate that he sees, like most people , that there is no noticeable swing in opinion from the 2016 result.
Yes there is a lot of noise but the public can see through the Tony Blair's etc

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:04 am

The 1975 vote was implemented

By all means have another referendum. But, implement the 2016 referendum result , and if people want to campaign to rejoin the EU, let them.

martin_p

Post by martin_p » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 am

RingoMcCartney wrote:The 1975 vote was implemented

By all means have another referendum. But, implement the 2016 referendum result , and if people want to campaign to rejoin the EU, let them.
Or put another way, cut off our leg and if we don’t like it we can see whether we can grow it back.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:12 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You're not interested in the will of the people if it isn't what you want though.

Here's the thing. I think we should leave the EU unless there's a second referendum that reverses our decision. So, how does that fit into your narrative?

The reason you're arguing against a second referendum is, in part, because you know that i oppose reversing Brexit without a second referendum that reverses it. So in actuality what is happening here is you are using my respect for the will of the people against me when you're opposing a second referendum.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:17 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Here's the thing. I think we should leave the EU unless there's a second referendum that reverses our decision. So, how does that fit into your narrative?

The reason you're arguing against a second referendum is, in part, because you know that i oppose reversing Brexit without a second referendum that reverses it. So in actuality what is happening here is you are using my respect for the will of the people against me when you're opposing a second referendum.
So what's the reason you've argued against the result for so long if you're fine with leaving?
Wasn't the will of the people good enough first time?..

Oh wait, they're stupid and don't know what they're voting for, silly me for forgetting that.

I'm not against a 2nd referendum, my issue is the result of the first hasn't actually been implemented.
Last edited by GodIsADeeJay81 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:18 am

martin_p wrote:Or put another way, cut off our leg and if we don’t like it we can see whether we can grow it back.

I get it Marty , you know there has never been a UK wide referendum or general election result that has never not been implemented.

You believe that as a Leave voter I need to win TWO referenda to have my view point implemented, and you, as a remoaner only need to win ONE.

Just admit it. You only believe in that democracy thing if it produces results you agree with!

You're a democracy denier. At least we know where you stand.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 am

I think Siddo is not far off the mark about No deal and the Irish border.
Whether I think those observations warrant another re-look in the form of a 2nd referendum I'm not as sure.
For me, it's no longer a question of leave/remain but a question of giving those 17.4 million people what they want . And that is to leave the EU.
If Parliament doesn't support their wish then the law will have to.
My hope is that some new deal can be agreed with the EU which Parliament will accept.