Bale off for a Chinese

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Re: Bale off for a Chinese

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:59 am

As others have pointed out, it sounds like he's made no effort whatsoever to integrate or enjoy the Spanish lifestyle, so I highly doubt he's going to enjoy the lifestyle in China, it's pure greed. What use is all the money in the world if you and your family are miserable?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5003 times
Has Liked: 6721 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:03 am

Dyched wrote:Why don’t you feed them then?
It would take one hell of a tit to feed all those hungry babies so therefore I will hand that mantle to you.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:06 am

In 2016 he helped Wales beat the much fancied Belgium; in 2022 he will return and may fancy buying Belgium.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:44 am

Greed at its finest.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Post by SonofPog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:59 am

To what standard of league and what sort of pay cut should Bale go to / for for it not to be greedy?

He's basically been told to leave by a Legend and a Manager who he's outperformed stat wise.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49073162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"To compare him to other recent Real icons, he has won more Champions Leagues than Raul (three), current manager Zidane (one), Luis Figo (one) and Brazilian Ronaldo (zero).
And his goal tally of 102 in 231 games - with 65 assists - is impressive, if not mind-boggling.

Bale managed only two fewer goals than Brazil hero Ronaldo and scored two more than Fernando Morientes did for Real between 1997 and 2005. His minutes-per-goal record (163) beats Raul, whose 325 goals in 741 games took 184 minutes each.

Perhaps surprising - given how Zidane was considered such a huge part of Real's recent history - is the fact Bale has played four games more for the club than the Frenchman and scored more than twice as many goals. Zidane had 49 goals in 227 games. Their assist levels were similar, with Zidane setting up 66, one more than Bale."

Bale is just guilty of not being Ronaldo of the Pitch,

As for the Spandish language thing? do we get upset that Aguero can speak English, but refuses too?

Good luck to the Lad, would have liked him back in the Prem, but the cards and money just didn't align.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 am

I think most on here are being a bit harsh on Bale tbh.

He has been properly hung out to dry by Zidane. As others have said Zidane was a great player but a proper nasty piece of work in relation to this.

Whatever you do in life the most important thing is to feel you are adding value somewhere and for them to publicly keep hawking him around like this is shameful. If I’m Bale I’d be off too and China, as others have said, to live like a king would be a real life experience beyond the obvious financial reasons.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am

Can anybody tell me what other offers Bale is ignoring in order to pursue this greedy move?

Far as I can see it’s the only one on the table?

Real Madrid gave him a £600k a week contract two years ago which has three years to run. Probably because, you know, he kept scoring winning goals in big finals and that.

Now they’ve decided they don’t want him. And no other club, as far as I can see, has made a bid for him because he’s the wrong side of 30 and his wages are massive.

So he’s sat on two options :-

1. Sit there and not play - greedy apparently.
2. China - and i’ll be honest, if I was considering China i’d Want a ton of money to consider going - which apparently also makes him greedy.

I’d be willing to bet he’d take a massive pay cut to come and play at another Champions League club. But PSG have Neymar, Mbappe et al already breaching FFP, nobody in Italy will be on even a third of what he gets, Bayern simply don’t pay those wages and Real got burnt sending Rodriguez on loan there two years ago, United have their own burdens on their wage bill in Sanchez and others, doesn’t fit into how City play, Chelsea can’t sign players and Liverpool won’t pay £200k a week for somebody who probably doesn’t get in their front three.

So tell me ..... what’s he supposed to do?

Only one party at fault here. Real Madrid.
These 2 users liked this post: Tall Paul BertiesBeehole

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:27 am

Shame he’s off there. Would have liked to see him back in The Premier League.

Real clearly have a lot of problems off the pitch. A lot of them obviously don’t like Bale for whatever reason, Ramos doing his little stunt to get more cash won’t have gone down well either.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:05 am

Hibsclaret wrote:I think most on here are being a bit harsh on Bale tbh.

He has been properly hung out to dry by Zidane. As others have said Zidane was a great player but a proper nasty piece of work in relation to this.

Whatever you do in life the most important thing is to feel you are adding value somewhere and for them to publicly keep hawking him around like this is shameful. If I’m Bale I’d be off too and China, as others have said, to live like a king would be a real life experience beyond the obvious financial reasons.
He's already earned enough to last him for the rest of his life which is why he should be prepared to take a pay cut and come to the Premier League. Shoe Zidane exactly what he can do.

I won't criticise him for one last pay day but this decision would clearly be money over ambition.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:16 am

Firthy wrote:He's already earned enough to last him for the rest of his life which is why he should be prepared to take a pay cut and come to the Premier League. Shoe Zidane exactly what he can do.

I won't criticise him for one last pay day but this decision would clearly be money over ambition.
Which pay cut has he turned down to go to China?

Far as I can see no offers have been made. It’s China or nothing right now.

There’s a lot of criticism of the man based on not a right lot at the moment.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:32 am

Socrates wrote:Which pay cut has he turned down to go to China?

Far as I can see no offers have been made. It’s China or nothing right now.

There’s a lot of criticism of the man based on not a right lot at the moment.
Exactly!!

The criticism is mostly “lack of ambition”. Which is abit weird to say.

4 x CL
4 x Club World Cups
3 x Euro Super Cup
1 x La Liga
1 x Spanish Cup

There is also no interest from PL clubs. As said Chelsea can’t get him. City/Liverpool won’t want him. Spurs couldn’t afford him and even if they did I doubt playing every season to fight for the opportunity to play in a competition he’s won 4 times is much of a draw. Same at Arsenal and Man Utd as well.

So all in all, he comes here to say Man Utd. What possibly can he achieve there. An Fa Cup maybe or Champions League qualification? Wowza.

He’s just doing something different. Ronaldo didn’t get this criticism when he went to Juventus. The China league will me far more competitive than Seria A. Ronaldo is basically totting up his honours in sunday league. But that’s ok because Juves rivals were once great teams about 20 years ago.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:44 am

Firthy wrote:He's already earned enough to last him for the rest of his life which is why he should be prepared to take a pay cut and come to the Premier League. Shoe Zidane exactly what he can do.

You say it's enough to last the rest of his life, but if he isn't going to be earning that amount for 40plus years after he retires and he likes living a certain way, why shouldn't he go rake some more in?
Plenty of former footballers go bust due to poor financial decisions after retirement, the same could well happen to Bale, so if he makes sure he's got lots in the bank the risk is reduced.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:28 pm

It's an indictment of modern football.

I think things started too well for him at Real, winning the CL in his first season and Real's first for 12 years. Expectation grew too quickly and, as we know, every single second in the life of Real is minutely analysed by the Spanish, and international, media.

He has suffered with injuries. Zidane played him in most of the big games when fit but I think his injuries and age now mean that his speed - whilst still considerable - is not what it was.

I also think the inevitable dip in Real's form since the departure of Ronaldo has led to a very drastic clear-out.

I presume his injuries, reduced pace and wage demands have scuppered deals with major European clubs. But to see a player like that playing in a League of China's ilk is a sad state of affairs.

I doubt whether he'd see the reported three years out unless he is finished at top level fitness-wise.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Probably doesn't help that they don't play him in his favoured position

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You say it's enough to last the rest of his life, but if he isn't going to be earning that amount for 40plus years after he retires and he likes living a certain way, why shouldn't he go rake some more in?
Plenty of former footballers go bust due to poor financial decisions after retirement, the same could well happen to Bale, so if he makes sure he's got lots in the bank the risk is reduced.
I agree with Sidney. Blimey.

Socrates, great philosopher he is, summed it up perfectly above too. What’s he supposed to do? There’s no deals on the table and he’s not going to be taking a significant pay cut in order to satisfy sone misty eyed vision of football from the Bob Lord crew.

Real have been dreadful throughout this, but you’d expect that from them, pretty much confirming he’ll be barely making the bench. He’s not only setting himself up for life, but his kids too. And lack of ambition? Moving there in the first place was a pretty big statement of ambition.

Fair play to him - a talented player whose always come across well in interviews etc, won major trophies and made a fortune.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:53 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:2014/15 was the last season he played more than 2000 minutes in the league.

He has been in and out since he was 25 hence why I am surprised he has chosen to cash in rather than trying to cement his place in history as a legend (which frankly, he won’t be, either for Spurs, Madrid or Wales - his achievements are very good but not great).
OF the top 6 he was won the champions league more than 5 of them and as many of them all combined.

Gareth Bale has more Champions League Trophies than Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, Man City and Chelsea!!

I think he has done rather well...

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:57 pm

I was surprised to learn he’s only won one league title in his career.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:55 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:You say it's enough to last the rest of his life, but if he isn't going to be earning that amount for 40plus years after he retires and he likes living a certain way, why shouldn't he go rake some more in?
high on capitalism.jpg
high on capitalism.jpg (128.65 KiB) Viewed 2081 times

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:50 am

What if, hypothetically, he takes the 150m and invests 50% of it in a trust to develop youth sport in Wales

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:53 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:What if, hypothetically, he takes the 150m and invests 50% of it in a trust to develop youth sport in Wales
He should have invested 51%. Greedy *******.
These 2 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret GodIsADeeJay81

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Bale move off.

So we can now get back to calling him greedy for sitting out his contract instead of being greedy for going to China.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Siddo

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:32 pm

Real Madrid, who want shut of him, have apparently blocked the deal.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:39 pm

Madrid have treated him appallingly.

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:45 pm

Socrates wrote:Madrid have treated him appallingly.
They could test me appallingly for €600,000 a week.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr JohnMac

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:48 pm

Deal off.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Marca are trying to say the deal is off because of Bale's family :lol:

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:48 pm

Image being told you can't do the job you really enjoy despite being paid 600k per week.

That's a heartbreaking situation for him. It really does bring you close to tears, doesn't it?
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank GodIsADeeJay81

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:22 pm

If you can go bust with £20m in the bank, you can equally go bust with £120m in the bank. If you have that sort of money, you can only go bust by doing stupid things with it, and stupidity isn't limited by the odd £100m.

All footballers have decisions to make at contract time - do they want the money, do they want the best chance of medals, do they want to play. Numbers 1 and 2 generally go together, in that the rich clubs win all the medals; but some footballers (not many) will reach a point where they accept they have all the money they will ever need, and decide to go where suits them best. Bale may be one of these or (apparently) may not; it's his decision.

It may be greed, but I don't see much problem with greed if it doesn't negatively impact anyone else. Swiping the last biscuit off the plate is wrong when it means your brother doesn't get a biscuit at all; but if there are plenty more biscuits in the tin, what does it matter?

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:24 pm

Spijed wrote:Image being told you can't do the job you really enjoy despite being paid 600k per week.

That's a heartbreaking situation for him. It really does bring you close to tears, doesn't it?
Imagine not knowing what continent, never mind country, you and your young family might be living in next week.

Imagine mentally steeling yourself to move the other side of the world, maybe away from your family, and then having that dicked around at the last minute.

Money doesn’t make everything right.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:55 pm

Imagine living in a foreign country and, you know, maybe just being a bit reserved and quite shy.

Imagine also being recognised everywhere you go. And then a imagine your boss and that nation’s media telling you that really you should leave and that it would be best if you went. Imagine how you’d feel every time you stepped out of your door.

Imagine also having 3 kids, including one less than a year old and having all this uncertainty with a deadline looming.

He gets paid a lot of money. But he’s a human being and that doesn’t mean it’s ok to treat him like this.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:00 pm

Socrates wrote:Imagine not knowing what continent, never mind country, you and your young family might be living in next week.

Imagine mentally steeling yourself to move the other side of the world, maybe away from your family, and then having that dicked around at the last minute.

Money doesn’t make everything right.
He need have no worries at all about that. Even if he leaves Real Madrid, he'll be able to get another job in Spain.

Imagine getting paid £600,000 this week and expecting £1,000,000 next week. And then it turns out you only get £600,000 after all.

Well, tough. They have food banks in Spain as well. Money doesn't make everything right, but then nor does anything else. There'sd no need to whinge on behalf of someone who only has 99.99% of what he wants.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:02 pm

Socrates wrote:Imagine living in a foreign country and, you know, maybe just being a bit reserved and quite shy.

Imagine also being recognised everywhere you go. And then a imagine your boss and that nation’s media telling you that really you should leave and that it would be best if you went. Imagine how you’d feel every time you stepped out of your door.

Imagine also having 3 kids, including one less than a year old and having all this uncertainty with a deadline looming.

He gets paid a lot of money. But he’s a human being and that doesn’t mean it’s ok to treat him like this.
Sounds good to me. I'll swap.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:03 pm

Which Spanish club are in for him?

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:04 pm

dsr wrote:Sounds good to me. I'll swap.

Get off the internet and start practicing football then.

Get in his position and then you can truly decide, rather than making a snap judgement about what another man should do when you don’t understand the situation even remotely.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:12 pm

Zidane is coming across as a bit of a knob in all this, class player frozen out and they are getting well beaten in pre season, lost 7-3 yesterday I think it was against atletico who had trippier playing right back

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:13 pm

Socrates wrote:Get off the internet and start practicing football then.

Get in his position and then you can truly decide, rather than making a snap judgement about what another man should do when you don’t understand the situation even remotely.
I have made no judgement about what he SHOULD do. Just made suggestions about what he COULD do. He doesn't have any bad options.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes in their youth, and maybe Bale made a mistake signing his £30m per year contract with Madrid. But I bet he can get out of it if he really wants. If he were to (for example) tell Spurs that he will play off minimum wage, I bet they could find enough in transfer fee to make Real let him go.

I can feel sorry for a man who is trapped in a foreign land with no way to get out - but Bale isn't that man. I can feel sorry for a man who is trapped in a job he doesn't like but can't afford to get out - but Bale isn't that man. What Bale has is vast wealth and a job he doesn't like, and he has the choice of less wealth but change jobs, or the same wealth but not change jobs, and you're asking me to feel sorry because he can't have everything. Boo hoo.
These 2 users liked this post: jrgbfc tim_noone

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:21 pm

Maybe Zidane will be gone before Bale if Real Madrid don't get off to a flyer.

Claretpants
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Re: Bale has gone off his Chinese

Post by Claretpants » Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:37 pm

Claretpants wrote:BBC reporting Bale off to China 1M per week!

Another target missed

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:55 pm

dsr wrote:I have made no judgement about what he SHOULD do. Just made suggestions about what he COULD do. He doesn't have any bad options.

Yes, everyone makes mistakes in their youth, and maybe Bale made a mistake signing his £30m per year contract with Madrid. But I bet he can get out of it if he really wants. If he were to (for example) tell Spurs that he will play off minimum wage, I bet they could find enough in transfer fee to make Real let him go.

I can feel sorry for a man who is trapped in a foreign land with no way to get out - but Bale isn't that man. I can feel sorry for a man who is trapped in a job he doesn't like but can't afford to get out - but Bale isn't that man. What Bale has is vast wealth and a job he doesn't like, and he has the choice of less wealth but change jobs, or the same wealth but not change jobs, and you're asking me to feel sorry because he can't have everything. Boo hoo.
Quite Ironic you mention Boohoo in a discussion of work and wealth.