Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
# 1
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 am

Anyone else going to watch Ed at Roundhay Park Leeds on Friday 16th August?

Noticed it's due to finish about 22:30, with last train back to Burnley being 23:00.
How you planning to get back.

Leave earlier, risk it , or other transport?

Ps anyone else thinking of going theres still tickets left, line up is

Darkness, Lewis Capaldi and Ed Sheeran

# 2
Funkydrummer
Posts: 4754
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 1738 times
Has Liked: 1126 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Funkydrummer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:22 am

It will be easier to not bother going. :lol:

# 3
Lord Beamish
Posts: 4183
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:00 pm
Been Liked: 2830 times
Has Liked: 1876 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Lord Beamish » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:24 am

Gonna be at Pa Beamish’s 70th Birthday do that evening. If I wasn’t there, I’d probably be washing my hair that evening, anyway.
These 2 users liked this post: Steve1956 BFCmaj

# 4
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:25 am

Funkydrummer wrote:It will be easier to not bother going. :lol:


Sorry forgot to mention, its Leeds England, so the one an hour away... ;)

# 5
Funkydrummer
Posts: 4754
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Been Liked: 1738 times
Has Liked: 1126 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Funkydrummer » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:31 am

MACCA wrote:Sorry forgot to mention, its Leeds England, so the one an hour away... ;)


Still too far for me. :o

# 6
Steve1956
Posts: 6769
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2085 times
Has Liked: 1067 times
Location: Fife

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am

No! But I will be attending Florence & the Machine Wednesday 7th of August at Princes st gardens in Edinburgh, I think my gig might be a tad more exciting than yours Macca,although they are both gingers,anyone seen Florence live it's meant to be quite a show?

# 7
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:58 am

Steve1956 wrote:No! But I will be attending Florence & the Machine Wednesday 7th of August at Princes st gardens in Edinburgh, I think my gig might be a tad more exciting than yours Macca,although they are both gingers,anyone seen Florence live it's meant to be quite a show?


Not seen them, I've made it task to start going to watch a few more bands/shows etc.
Was looking for some local stuff last night with the Mrs and after a few pink gins saw Ed was on in some park in Leeds with Lewis Capaldi, she loves Ed, I love head, I dont mind Capaldi, and Darkness could be fun, so thought why not.

Will ditch the kids and dog for 24 hours, and make it an all day and night job.
Only £170 for 2 tickets, thought was good deal.

On the topic of bands, is there any anual stuff locally where local bands perform.

I here about the big park stuff, and some of the younger end of our mates etc go, but they don't seem my cup of tea with what goes on there with the stories they tell on their return.

# 8
Steve1956
Posts: 6769
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2085 times
Has Liked: 1067 times
Location: Fife

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:00 am

MACCA wrote:Not seen them, I've made it task to start going to watch a few more bands/shows etc.
Was looking for some local stuff last night with the Mrs and after a few pink gins saw Ed was on in some park in Leeds with Lewis Capaldi, she loves Ed, I love head, I dont mind Capaldi, and Darkness could be fun, so thought why not.

Will ditch the kids and dog for 24 hours, and make it an all day and night job.
Only £170 for 2 tickets, thought was good deal.

On the topic of bands, is there any anual stuff locally where local bands perform.

I here about the big park stuff, and some of the younger end of our mates etc go, but they don't seem my cup of tea with what goes on there with the stories they tell on their return.

I like you Macca but your taste in music is shite ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:












Imo :)

# 9
dandeclaret
Posts: 538
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:55 am
Been Liked: 665 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby dandeclaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 am

There is no "risk it" opportunity to get from Roundhay Park to Leeds train station in 30 minutes after a gig.

# 10
Steve1956
Posts: 6769
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2085 times
Has Liked: 1067 times
Location: Fife

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:04 am

MACCA wrote:Not seen them, I've made it task to start going to watch a few more bands/shows etc.
Was looking for some local stuff last night with the Mrs and after a few pink gins saw Ed was on in some park in Leeds with Lewis Capaldi, she loves Ed, I love head, I dont mind Capaldi, and Darkness could be fun, so thought why not.

Will ditch the kids and dog for 24 hours, and make it an all day and night job.
Only £170 for 2 tickets, thought was good deal.

On the topic of bands, is there any anual stuff locally where local bands perform.

I here about the big park stuff, and some of the younger end of our mates etc go, but they don't seem my cup of tea with what goes on there with the stories they tell on their return.


Just read that again think you need to read it Macca....."you love head" :lol:

# 11
jrgbfc
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby jrgbfc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:06 am

MACCA wrote:Not seen them, I've made it task to start going to watch a few more bands/shows etc.
Was looking for some local stuff last night with the Mrs and after a few pink gins saw Ed was on in some park in Leeds with Lewis Capaldi, she loves Ed, I love head, I dont mind Capaldi, and Darkness could be fun, so thought why not.

Will ditch the kids and dog for 24 hours, and make it an all day and night job.
Only £170 for 2 tickets, thought was good deal.

On the topic of bands, is there any anual stuff locally where local bands perform.

I here about the big park stuff, and some of the younger end of our mates etc go, but they don't seem my cup of tea with what goes on there with the stories they tell on their return.


If Ed Sheeran was on in my back yard I'd close the curtains :lol: :lol:
Joking aside get yourself up the Blues fest in Colne. Always a great weekend, especially if the weather's decent, lots of great local bands on and a great atmosphere.

# 12
Steve1956
Posts: 6769
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2085 times
Has Liked: 1067 times
Location: Fife

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 am

jrgbfc wrote:If Ed Sheeran was on in my back yard I'd close the curtains :lol: :lol:
Joking aside get yourself up the Blues fest in Colne. Always a great weekend, especially if the weather's decent, lots of great local bands on and a great atmosphere.

The Royal Dyche has gigs in its back garden,I wonder if they close the curtains there?

# 13
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:08 am

Steve1956 wrote:I like you Macca but your taste in music is shite ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:












Imo :)


Lol, you have no idea.
I'm currently listening to The Beatles on Gold radio with a coffee, I'll then stick on my love play list wholst in the shower/getting ready which features the likes of Celine Dion, Leann Rimes and Christina Perri before heading out in the car with "the bands" play list on featuring the likes of Oasis, The Courteeners, Stone Roses and Razorlight.

I listen to anything and everything

# 14
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:10 am

Edit - I'm glad you didn't mock my choices of drinks from last night's that included pink gins and summer fruit vodkas. :lol:
Last edited by MACCA on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

# 15
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:11 am

dandeclaret wrote:There is no "risk it" opportunity to get from Roundhay Park to Leeds train station in 30 minutes after a gig.


Is it do able in 30 mins?

# 16
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 am

Steve1956 wrote:The Royal Dyche has gigs in its back garden,I wonder if they close the curtains there?


Actually stumbled in there on 2 occasions on s Saturday when bands were on, and both bands were excellent!

I didnt risk the complimentary pie and peas though, and they were Hefner's!

# 17
jrgbfc
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby jrgbfc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 am

MACCA wrote:Is it do able in 30 mins?


Only if you were lucky enough to get straight in a taxi or an Uber, which is pretty unlikely. Even then with the amount of traffic round Roundhay you'd be struggling. I'd say try and stay in Leeds or leave the gig a bit early.
Last edited by jrgbfc on Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

# 18
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 am

Steve1956 wrote:Just read that again think you need to read it Macca....."you love head" :lol:


I do!
At my age Steve it's fantastic ( I presume at any age it is really )

# 19
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 am

jrgbfc wrote:Only if you were lucky enough to get straight in a taxi or an Uber, which is pretty unlikely. Even then with the amount of traffic round Roundhay you'd be struggling. I'd say try and stay in Leeds or leave the gig a bit early.



Cheers so its stay over or Taxi home job, the latter is possibly best.

Now its operation to see if anyone else local is going to possibly share a taxi/lift.

# 20
claretblue
Posts: 3913
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:36 pm
Been Liked: 1068 times
Has Liked: 783 times
Location: cloud 9 since Dyche appointed

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby claretblue » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:30 am

Ed Sheeran playing Leeds!! :o

it bound to be on the telly then!

:D
These 3 users liked this post: BFCmaj tiger76 Vintage Claret

# 21
jrgbfc
Posts: 2719
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:30 pm
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby jrgbfc » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 am

MACCA wrote:Cheers so its stay over or Taxi home job, the latter is possibly best.

Now its operation to see if anyone else local is going to possibly share a taxi/lift.


I think the last train back to Skipton is nearer 11.30pm? So jumping off that at Steeton and getting a taxi from there back to Burnley might be doable?

# 22
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:08 am

jrgbfc wrote:I think the last train back to Skipton is nearer 11.30pm? So jumping off that at Steeton and getting a taxi from there back to Burnley might be doable?



Cheers I'll look into it.

If not, I'm usually good at winging stuff when p1ssed anyway.
I always get home somehow

# 23
beddie
Posts: 1698
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:10 pm
Been Liked: 388 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby beddie » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:59 am

We'd love to go but unfortunately the knees won't cope with standing. Hopefully a seated venue in the not so distant future.

# 24
FactualFrank
Posts: 15738
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4300 times
Has Liked: 7595 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby FactualFrank » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:21 pm

MACCA wrote:Cheers I'll look into it.

If not, I'm usually good at winging stuff when p1ssed anyway.
I always get home somehow


A friend was on about this and she's got tickets for 5 of us to go. Can always meet up and kip at mine if you can't get a lift back to Burnley. I just hope we get the weather

# 25
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:31 pm

FactualFrank wrote:A friend was on about this and she's got tickets for 5 of us to go. Can always meet up and kip at mine if you can't get a lift back to Burnley. I just hope we get the weather



Cheers for the offer, but if we've got 24 hours free from the kids it'll be hotel or home.
Will be making the most of it...

Cant see a taxi being more than £50

Will be out in Leeds before hand for food and beers so if you want to meet for a pint there or in the venue give me a shout.
Might even go out afterwards or the casino or something, all depends how dolloped I am :lol:

# 26
Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:04 pm
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 2062 times
Contact:

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 pm

Can't go, I plan to be talking for hours and hours about sweet n´sour that night.

# 27
!aiboforceN
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 31 times
Location: London

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby !aiboforceN » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:57 pm

I've been reliably informed that paint watches Ed Sheeran dry

(but don't tell the wife!)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

# 28
Bosscat
Posts: 4824
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1456 times
Has Liked: 3888 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Bosscat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:22 pm

Steve1956 wrote:No! But I will be attending Florence & the Machine Wednesday 7th of August at Princes st gardens in Edinburgh, I think my gig might be a tad more exciting than yours Macca,although they are both gingers,anyone seen Florence live it's meant to be quite a show?

Will Dougal, Brian, Zebedee and Ermintrude be there Steve ;)

# 29
FactualFrank
Posts: 15738
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:46 am
Been Liked: 4300 times
Has Liked: 7595 times
Location: Leeds

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby FactualFrank » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:59 pm

MACCA wrote:Will be out in Leeds before hand for food and beers so if you want to meet for a pint there or in the venue give me a shout. Might even go out afterwards or the casino or something, all depends how dolloped I am :lol:


I'll definitely let you know pal. And casino afterwards definitely sounds good. Napoleons is probably the best so that's a suggestion.

# 30
Steve1956
Posts: 6769
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2085 times
Has Liked: 1067 times
Location: Fife

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Steve1956 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:43 pm

Bosscat wrote:Will Dougal, Brian, Zebedee and Ermintrude be there Steve ;)

You bet buddy,we are all going together. :)
This user liked this post: Bosscat

# 31
Bosscat
Posts: 4824
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1456 times
Has Liked: 3888 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Bosscat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:16 pm

Steve1956 wrote:You bet buddy,we are all going together. :)

Good on ya Mr Rusty ;)
This user liked this post: Steve1956

# 32
gandhisflipflop
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 490 times
Location: Costa del Padihamos beach.

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby gandhisflipflop » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:17 pm

Macca I'm reluctantly going to this gig. Im trying to get a lift home as I'm in the same predicament. Will let you know and you can jump in if there's enough room

# 33
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:17 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:Macca I'm reluctantly going to this gig. Im trying to get a lift home as I'm in the same predicament. Will let you know and you can jump in if there's enough room


There's only 2 of us, more than happy to get a taxi home with you, will only be about £40.
Going to get the train there and make a day of it, then there's a shuttle bus from the station to the venue and back, so no rush. Can just order a taxi if we miss the train, and have a pint whilst we wait.
It's due to finish at 22:30, so hardly late.

# 34
claret2018
Posts: 170
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:49 pm
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby claret2018 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:34 am

MACCA wrote:
Cant see a taxi being more than £50




Double it and you're probably in the right ball-park

# 35
houseboy
Posts: 3525
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 859 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby houseboy » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:07 am

Steve1956 wrote:No! But I will be attending Florence & the Machine Wednesday 7th of August at Princes st gardens in Edinburgh, I think my gig might be a tad more exciting than yours Macca,although they are both gingers,anyone seen Florence live it's meant to be quite a show?

Saw her on a side stage at Glastonbury years ago before she was famous - excellent - really stood out on the day and I said then she would become big.

I do like Ed Sheeran though - a very talented young man who has got big by working hard, not sitting in his bedroom with a computer/studio. Apparently did tons of gigs before he made it - old style.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

# 36
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:27 am

claret2018 wrote:Double it and you're probably in the right ball-park


I'll let you know, but I very much doubt it'll be £100, you can get manchester airport for £40.

Anyway it'll be what it is, and if can share it'll be half of what I'm willing to pay.

# 37
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:06 am

claret2018 wrote:Double it and you're probably in the right ball-park


£45 flat fare with 1 hours notice required, doesn't go up before or after midnight.

Happy days

# 38
tiger76
Posts: 4221
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:43 pm
Been Liked: 537 times
Has Liked: 1739 times
Location: Glasgow

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby tiger76 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:14 am

claretblue wrote:Ed Sheeran playing Leeds!! :o

it bound to be on the telly then!

:D


My money's on Ed,Leeds are useless since they became our feeder club. ;)

# 39
gandhisflipflop
Posts: 1948
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:05 pm
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 490 times
Location: Costa del Padihamos beach.

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby gandhisflipflop » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:53 pm

MACCA wrote:There's only 2 of us, more than happy to get a taxi home with you, will only be about £40.
Going to get the train there and make a day of it, then there's a shuttle bus from the station to the venue and back, so no rush. Can just order a taxi if we miss the train, and have a pint whilst we wait.
It's due to finish at 22:30, so hardly late.



Sounds like a plan. I have booked a half day at work so I should be setting off around 1 or 2pm. 45 quid sounds more than reasonable especially if shared too.

# 40
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:07 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:Sounds like a plan. I have booked a half day at work so I should be setting off around 1 or 2pm. 45 quid sounds more than reasonable especially if shared too.



Fully agree, cant grumble at that price.

Think we're making a day of it, sofi you want to meet upon Leeds when you land before going to the venue, let me know. I'll message you with my number on the book of faces.

# 41
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:50 am

Bump

# 42
Somethingfishy
Posts: 637
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:03 pm
Been Liked: 221 times
Has Liked: 132 times
Location: Padiham

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Somethingfishy » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:50 pm

He could be playing Padiham Memorial Park and i wouldn't bat an eyelid. Complete tosh.

# 43
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Somethingfishy wrote:He could be playing Padiham Memorial Park and i wouldn't bat an eyelid. Complete tosh.


You had both of his albums on your Ipod!

# 44
Blackrod
Posts: 4223
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm
Been Liked: 1019 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Blackrod » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Personally sick to the back teeth of Ed Sheeran.

# 45
dougcollins
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 am
Been Liked: 471 times
Has Liked: 469 times
Location: Yarkshire

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby dougcollins » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 pm

houseboy wrote:Saw her on a side stage at Glastonbury years ago before she was famous - excellent - really stood out on the day and I said then she would become big.

I do like Ed Sheeran though - a very talented young man who has got big by working hard, not sitting in his bedroom with a computer/studio. Apparently did tons of gigs before he made it - old style.



He attended the Academy of Contemporary Music at some place or another, that's way off 'old style' and typical of the current middle class b0ll0cks that pertains to be contemporary music.

In my opinion.

# 46
bobinho
Posts: 4126
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:48 pm
Been Liked: 1722 times
Has Liked: 2508 times
Location: Burnley

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby bobinho » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 pm

MACCA wrote:Anyone else going to watch Ed at Roundhay Park Leeds on Friday 16th August?

Noticed it's due to finish about 22:30, with last train back to Burnley being 23:00.
How you planning to get back.

Leave earlier, risk it , or other transport?

Ps anyone else thinking of going theres still tickets left, line up is

Darkness, Lewis Capaldi and Ed Sheeran


No. Going to watch Stiff Little Fingers at KGH. And so is everyone else who appreciates decent music.
These 2 users liked this post: dougcollins Belfast_Claret

# 47
MACCA
Posts: 10321
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:10 am
Been Liked: 2519 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby MACCA » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:35 am

bobinho wrote:No. Going to watch Stiff Little Fingers at KGH. And so is everyone else who appreciates decent music.


Appreciate all music myself, you wouldn't believe some of the names on my play list if I told you, nor the music I unwind too of an evening.

Ps The Darkness and Lewis Capaldi are on, and I'm going with the wife that loves our Ed. It'll be a great day I'm sure, theres plenty of plans pre and post concert as we are child free for 24 hours! ( people with kids will know, that in itself is a rare treat )
This user liked this post: bobinho

# 48
houseboy
Posts: 3525
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 859 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby houseboy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 am

dougcollins wrote:He attended the Academy of Contemporary Music at some place or another, that's way off 'old style' and typical of the current middle class b0ll0cks that pertains to be contemporary music.

In my opinion.

And Rick Wakeman attended the Royal College of Music but that doesn't stop him from being one of the finest keyboard players in the world. I don't know what Sheeran attended but I do know he worked hard to get where he is and he's a damn fine songwriter to boot.In fact when you look back down the history of modern music you find that so many bands, legends in some cases, were formed at universities when that level of education was very 'middle class'. Even Elton John had a classical training back ground.

Don't knock the lad for his background mate, just take him for what he is, a very good songwriter.

# 49
Devils_Advocate
Posts: 3990
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:43 pm
Been Liked: 1354 times
Has Liked: 242 times

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am

houseboy wrote:And Rick Wakeman attended the Royal College of Music but that doesn't stop him from being one of the finest keyboard players in the world.

Nor did it stop him from producing a load of over indulgent, pretentious, middle of the road clap trap synonymous with the awful progressive rock bands of the 70's

Thankgod Punk arrived to give music the kick up the backside it desperately needed.

Saying all that each to their own and music is about what you like and not what someone else likes :D

# 50
houseboy
Posts: 3525
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:43 pm
Been Liked: 1030 times
Has Liked: 859 times
Location: Baxenden

Re: Ed Sheeran Leeds Friday 16th August

Postby houseboy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:11 am

Devils_Advocate wrote:Nor did it stop him from producing a load of over indulgent, pretentious, middle of the road clap trap synonymous with the awful progressive rock bands of the 70's

Thankgod Punk arrived to give music the kick up the backside it desperately needed.

Saying all that each to their own and music is about what you like and not what someone else likes :D

Absolutely. I love most forms of music (apart from soul) but 'prog' is my number one choice (I was in a prog band years ago and yes, we were self-indulgent and overbearing :D ). It's all down to personal choice as you say. I actually liked punk as well because it did change things but it was created by Malcolm McLaren so it wasn't quite the rebellious movement that it first appeared to be but it was still good for all that. Incidentally I love John Lydon as a character - a true eccentric. He denounced all things prog when with the Pistols but has since gone on record as saying he actually loves Van der Graf Generator and Peter Hammill and has also admitted that one of his targets at the time, Pink Floyd, are 'really quite good'.

Music, like art in general, is totally subjective and therefore it is difficult to criticise any form of it really, it's a bit like saying toast is better than steak when really it's all down to taste.
This user liked this post: Devils_Advocate


Return to “The Bee Hole End”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: africlaret, BFC183, Bordeauxclaret, Buxtonclaret, crundale, dsr, Google [Bot], houseboy, Incom, JarrowClaret, Local cricketer, spadesclaret, Tall Paul and 114 guests