4 Nights in Budapest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

4 Nights in Budapest

Post by Jambounchained » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:49 am

The OH surprised me last night, telling me she was taking me away for my birthday tomorrow.
Never been before, wondered if anyone had some personal experiences of things to do/see/eat?

Cheers!

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: 4 Nights in Budapest

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:50 am

I’ve been but it was about ten years ago so can’t really recommend anywhere other than the Spoon Cafe, which is a boat moored by the Chain Bridge.

I went in February though so I can confidently say it will be a lot warmer tomorrow. Hope that helps.

Jambounchained

Post by Jambounchained » Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:52 am

Given a rotten forecast for the first two days, incredibly warm but very wet. The other two days look to be in the low 30s!

Beagleheart
Been Liked: 22 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Beagleheart » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:07 am

Do the Hop-on/Hop-off bus as a means to see the layout and as a, well, bus! The ruin bars are fantastic but if you are looking for something different get a bus to Monument Park on the outskirts of the city which is where they keep the old communist statues.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:31 am

Wonderful City. Going again next May for the start of the Giro.
Divide it into areas:
The castle side(Buda), cathedral, & Fishermans Bastion The easy way up is the funicular, next to the chain bridge.
The Parliament area(Pest)
The indoor market and Gellert baths, if you fancy a warm soak.
Heroes Sq., Sczechnyi baths, Vajdahunyad Castle.
The house of terror. I’ve never been myself but Michael Palin covered it on a travel show.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Terror" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very easy walking city.pan flat on the Pest side and if you go up on the funicular it’s all downhill.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:38 am

Look for the "Ruin bars". Very different and a great night out. Also head to the spa baths, there's many to choose from but we loved the one in the park. Lots of different baths, saunas and steam rooms and a great heated outdoor pool.
There's a great indoor market which is also well worth a visit loads of local produce and some brilliant restaurants. Make sure to buy some Paprika, it's excellent and very cheap!

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8427 times
Has Liked: 18097 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:42 am

Jambounchained wrote:The OH surprised me last night, telling me she was taking me away for my birthday tomorrow.
Never been before, wondered if anyone had some personal experiences of things to do/see/eat?

Cheers!
This post sums it up m8 could'nt add much more... we were there in 2016 and did all of this.
Tricky Trevor wrote:Wonderful City. Going again next May for the start of the Giro.
Divide it into areas:
The castle side(Buda), cathedral, & Fishermans Bastion The easy way up is the funicular, next to the chain bridge.
The Parliament area(Pest)
The indoor market and Gellert baths, if you fancy a warm soak.
Heroes Sq., Sczechnyi baths, Vajdahunyad Castle.
The house of terror. I’ve never been myself but Michael Palin covered it on a travel show.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Terror" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very easy walking city.pan flat on the Pest side and if you go up on the funicular it’s all downhill.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:52 am

I'd definitely recommend going to the baths, probably my highlight there. I'd suggest Széchenyi Thermal Bath out of the various ones.

The ruins bars as people have suggested. SZIMPLA KERT is the original and worth at least a few drinks but there are plenty of them.

The Jewish Quarter is interesting and I'd also recommend a trip to the Central Market.

For restaurants:
Dunacorso restaurant – traditional Hungarian dishes with a nice view to the Danube river
Taverna Dionysos - seafood, bad website, but the restaurant is great.
M restaurant http://www.metterem.hu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Modern Hungarian. This was the best restaurant I went to there, would definitely recommend it. Only small so you'll probably have to book
This user liked this post: ZizkovClaret

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:55 am

Instant is a great ruin bar / club. Another vote for Széchenyi Thermal Bath

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:07 pm

Szimpla Kert ruin bar is brilliant. You can spend all night in there.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3598 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:20 pm

Brilliant city. Definitely agree with the posters mentioning the hop on hop off buses, the ruin bars and the thermal baths. You also get the river cruise with a bus ticket which is well worth it and I’d recommend doing that early evening when it’s starting to get dark and all of the buildings are lit up (recent accident asides of course!)

There are some great places to eat as well, we didn’t have a bad meal when we were there.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:26 pm

Personally, I’d avoid the hop on hop off bus like the plague, unless you have limited mobility in which case it’s a great option. If you are mobile, then walk about!

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Was there in May for 3 days. Buda with the castle etc is excellent, as is the Parliament and Elizabeth tower. The House of Terror..( travel on the old Foldalatti metro line) is a must but get there early. Also make sure you see the holocaust "shoes" memorial next to the river. If you visit the market be careful, some stall owners can rip you off and beware of pick pockets. When doing city breaks I always buy the inexpensive Marco Polo books as they give you insider tips of places to visit, coffee houses, bars and restaurants. Make sure you look at the Budapest travel card for transport costs/showing your ticket etc and over 65s travel free.In the House of Terror you pay less if over 60 but must have your passport to prove your date of birth.

The city is well worth a visit but you will see a lot of desperately poor people around some of the metro stations.
Hope this helps.

BigF
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by BigF » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:59 pm

The Terror Museum is definitely worth a visit, though for interest not particularly enjoyment. People were executed there. I agree with an earlier comment about getting there early. There is also a Synagogue which has a museum attached to it showing many photos and artefacts of the Jewish population being sent to the camps. Again, interest rather than enjoyment if you understand my meaning.
The Fisherman's Bastion is great for a relaxing coffee etc overlooking the river , Parliament and the Pest side of the city.
Enjoy yourselves

Jambounchained

Post by Jambounchained » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Thanks very much folk! So great pointers there.

Were flying back very early on Thursday morning, does the metro start early does anyone know?

Thanks again.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:28 pm

Another big recommendation for Szimpla Kertz. A bar like no other I’ve ever been too. And then the tremendous baths the morning after.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:37 pm

How bizarre. I'd never been before, but flew out on Monday and arrived back yesterday. Plenty to see and very clean and felt really safe. Some very good "craft" beer bars too and not the shed loads of ****** up lads trips as it's not really that kind of place (yet!!!) I didn't join the seemingly permanent and long queue for the terror museum, but assume it must be worth it if you can be bothered waiting. Hop on/Hop off bus tickets are a really good idea for getting around and seeing stuff, especially if they include a hop on/hop off boat trip too. It was extremely hot this past week, but there always seemed to be a welcome breeze. It struck me that the Hungarians enjoy a higher standard of living than many of their mates from the former Soviet block and there is quite a bit of money being invested in the buildings etc. The Hungarian parliament building is proper spectacular! (As they say!)
And don't worry about the early flight as taxis to and from the airport aren't exactly expensive.
Last edited by Dark Cloud on Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3598 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:44 pm

The street food section next to the main ruin bar is well worth trying as well.

Carnsmerry12
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by Carnsmerry12 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:50 pm

I can second that DCWat as is the restaurant a little distance away further up on the right hand side

ranjexel
Been Liked: 4 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by ranjexel » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Széchenyi Thermal Bath was the highlight of our trip. We spend all day there. Matthias church near fisherman's bastion is stunning . Worth booking visit to parliament house as visitor numbers are restricted and to ensure English speaking guide.

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:48 pm

I went in December 2017 so was absolutely freezing but a great city with lots to do. The Jewish quarter is very good for drinking, ruin bars are superb. Go to one of the thermal baths, they're great. The castle area has loads to see and do. One thing I noticed, the food could be a bit iffy. Had some excellent meals bit also some terrible ones. If somewhere seems empty, theres usually a reason I noticed
Make sure you get in an approved taxi from the airport, theres con men outside and we nearly got ripped off. Insist upon a receipt.
Other than that, you should have a great time, I did

Narwhalchomper
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by Narwhalchomper » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:16 pm

Porc Es prezli was a fantastic place to eat on the pest side! Staff spoke to us about the traditional food and it was delicious!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:55 am

Jambounchained wrote:The OH surprised me last night, telling me she was taking me away for my birthday tomorrow.
Shame you weren’t going later as a new channel on Sky travelxp(185) has just covered it on City Breaks. Showing Prague next week.