Central midfield

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Re: Central midfield

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:54 pm

claretspice wrote:That wasn't my intention regarding Hendrick, it was a general point although I did get the impression that you didn't see him as a genuine option in the middle of a 4-4-2 - I think he is, and that he's had some excellent games for us in that role. In my opinion we're looking for someone to supplement our existing 3 options, not our existing 2 options.
Fair enough I see him as decent back up for a few positions including the front of a three and in the middle and wide of a 4-4-2.

The last bit is where we (amicably) disagree as I think its the position we need a starter albeit he would have to get the shirt from either Cork or Westwood first

jojomk1
Been Liked: 842 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:49 pm

Maybe I missed something from the games during the second half of last season

There seems to be a lot of people attributing the undoubted improvement in that form to our midfield

The thing I remember was that Heaton was recalled to the side, which gave us a more consistent GK and someone who could marshall/organise the back four better

I certainly didn't notice much of an improvement from Cork (Westwood, yes)

CM is a major component of our side that needs an injection of better quality and, if successful in bringing in such a player as a regular starter, I think we will have enough to stay up again

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:11 pm

jojomk1 wrote:Maybe I missed something from the games during the second half of last season

There seems to be a lot of people attributing the undoubted improvement in that form to our midfield

The thing I remember was that Heaton was recalled to the side, which gave us a more consistent GK and someone who could marshall/organise the back four better

I certainly didn't notice much of an improvement from Cork (Westwood, yes)

CM is a major component of our side that needs an injection of better quality and, if successful in bringing in such a player as a regular starter, I think we will have enough to stay up again
People can understandably see things differently but I certainly noticed improvement in Cork's performance in the second half of last season, but the same was true of others as you allude to. As has been said already (by Spice I think), some people seem to have written Cork off with too much haste.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2758 times
Has Liked: 4325 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:14 pm

It would just be nice to have options. As it stands if Cork is fit he plays

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:It would just be nice to have options. As it stands if Cork is fit he plays
Yes, pretty much everyone agrees with need to bring in a centre mid. Dyche wants that too.

Little_britton
Been Liked: 19 times

Post by Little_britton » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:30 pm

Little_britton wrote:Mooy would be quality, he can deal with a ball and that is what we need going forward, he can even play in the hole like Hendrick did but with much more creativity. Pity Drinkwater will be way out of our league, he'd be perfect in our midfield.
Oh me of little faith! :D
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 AfloatinClaret