Arsenal (away) - General Info Thread

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Arsenal (away) - General Info Thread

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:39 am

For some away games last season we were getting multiple threads, often containing the same information, regarding a particular away game so I thought it might be a good idea to have a general info thread for anything such as parking, recommended pubs and any other information that might be useful for supporters travelling to that particular game. If it doesn't work we can scrap the idea.

I've also linked them to the away travel sticky so you can always find it.

Here's the Arsenal thread.
These 2 users liked this post: Leisure tim_noone

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Re: Arsenal (away) - General Info Thread

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:40 am

What about having a section for each club ?
Or is that too much

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:41 am

There’s always a low-level grumble on this Messageboard.

1989_claret
Been Liked: 280 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by 1989_claret » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:42 am

I imagine tickets will go on sale this week as it is less than three weeks away.

My father and I usually go to Highbury & Islington station as there’s a Wetherspoons outside and it’s only a ten minute walk to the ground from there and it’s only ten minutes on the tube from Euston.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 am

Lord Beamish wrote:There’s always a low-level grumble on this Messageboard.
???? ;)

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:59 am

1989_claret wrote:I imagine tickets will go on sale this week as it is less than three weeks away.

My father and I usually go to Highbury & Islington station as there’s a Wetherspoons outside and it’s only a ten minute walk to the ground from there and it’s only ten minutes on the tube from Euston.
This is exactly the sort of info for this thread - we are driving down so likely to use Cockfosters and get the tube in to Arsenal.

Shipclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Shipclaret » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:11 am

The Cockfosters car park isn't as large as it used to be following some developments but its a great call from CT. Its a very easy place to get to from M25 and I have never failed to get parked there. Used many times for events and business when traveling into Lon West End.

https://www.westlodgepark.co.uk/assets/ ... arking.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

westend2016
Been Liked: 3 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by westend2016 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:50 am

EXCELLENT IDEA TONY.
COACHES HAVE TO BE THERE 2 HOURS BEFORE THE GAME SO WETHERSPOONS AN ATTRACTIVE IDEA.
BREAKFAST AND GUINNESS
JUST WAITING FOR TICKETS TO GO ON SALE NOW

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12362 times

Post by Leisure » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:05 pm

westend2016 wrote:EXCELLENT IDEA TONY.
COACHES HAVE TO BE THERE 2 HOURS BEFORE THE GAME SO WETHERSPOONS AN ATTRACTIVE IDEA.
BREAKFAST AND GUINNESS
JUST WAITING FOR TICKETS TO GO ON SALE NOW
The 2 Wetherspoons near the ground tend to be home fans only but we covered up our colours last season and got in ok. The Drayton Park just opposite the ground is the designated 'away' pub but it's not very good, especially if you're into real ale (but it is convenient, being only 2 minutes from the away turnstiles).

1989_claret
Been Liked: 280 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by 1989_claret » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 pm

Walk ten minutes up the road to Highbury @ Islington Station. It’s a pretty big Wetherspoons for home and away fans.

Targetman
Been Liked: 502 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by Targetman » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm

1989_claret wrote:Walk ten minutes up the road to Highbury @ Islington Station. It’s a pretty big Wetherspoons for home and away fans.
This Wetherspoons pub always has plenty of Clarets in there. However its quite a bit further than 10 minutes walk from the ground.
More like a good 20 minutes away on foot.

We have never had a problem getting in there when wearing colours. We also use this pub when going to West Ham.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:35 pm

1989_claret wrote:I imagine tickets will go on sale this week as it is less than three weeks away.

Last year one of the Weatherspoons near the station was only letting in home fans showing tickets. I ended up in a different spoons , one which is a converted cinema. If this is the one you're on about it is a good pre match pub.

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:50 pm

Longsider wrote:Last year one of the Weatherspoons near the station was only letting in home fans showing tickets. I ended up in a different spoons , one which is a converted cinema. If this is the one you're on about it is a good pre match pub.
The White Swan is near to Highbury & Islington station and The Coronet (a converted cinema) is at 338 Holloway Road, close to the ground. The Twelve Pins near Finsbury Park station allows away fans in and is about a 10/15 minute walk to the ground.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:17 pm

Are we expecting the small allocation of about 1500 for this one with it being moved for TV?

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:21 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Are we expecting the small allocation of about 1500 for this one with it being moved for TV?
I would have thought so.

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:29 pm

The small cafe across the road from the walkway up to the stadium served some excellent, not expensive by London standards but certainly not cheap, grub last season when I tried it.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:52 pm

Will there be a separate thread starts notifying us when away tickets are due to go on sale and points required etc?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:41 pm

tybfc wrote:Will there be a separate thread starts notifying us when away tickets are due to go on sale and points required etc?
This thread is not for ticket information - that will, as previously, be on the site when it's announced so yes is the answer to your question.

As always, start of the season the clubs seem to be late getting tickets sent out, same happened last year with Southampton tickets.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:32 am

On pubs:

There's basically three sets of options.

Next to the ground is the Drayton Park. Entirely average away fan designated pub, tends to be a decent amosphere as it's full of away fans but that's about it.

North of the ground is Finsbury Park/Blackstock Rd. The twelve pins/the blackstock are on the corner near the tube. The twelve pins is the better pub, popular with both sets of fans and super quick bar service given how busy it is. The Blackstock is OK but a bit rough. As you head further north (away from the ground) the pubs get nicer. The world's end is pretty near the station and quite a decent pub, has sky sports. A bit further is the Faltering Fullback which is mainly a rugby pub, has a great beer garden. Further up still are the Old Dairy and Stapleton Tavern. I'd favour the Old Dairy but both are excellent pubs.

The other way is towards Highbury and Islington and has some decent places but tend to be busy. There's the Wetherspoon's next to the station, the White Swan, the famous Cock or the Brewhouse kitchen across the roundabout. All are big pubs with decent beer. Further up towards the ground there's the House of Hammerton and Arkstar. Both excelent but trendy pubs. Have some really interesting beers on but will be busy.

On transport:

The ground is nearest to Arsenal (Piccadilly line) but also easy walking distance from Highbury and Islington (Victoria) and Finsbury Park (Victoria, Piccadilly and mainline train services).

If you come into Euston then it's a few stops on the Victoria line, if you come into Kings Cross then a few stops on either the Victoria or Piccadilly. If you are going on the tube the easiest way to pay is to use a contactless credit/debit card, that will always get you the cheapest fare.

If driving then there's very little parking around the ground, most is residents only on matchdays. I'd advise parking either out at the end of the Piccadilly line (Cockfosters, Oakwood or Arnos Grove all have car parks with 200-300 spaces, Arnos Grove is the largest but closest in) or at one of the mainline stations on the route to Finsbury Park (Potters Bar, Welwyn, Hatfield, Stevenage, Hitchin, etc)
These 2 users liked this post: Winstonswhite tim_noone

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:31 pm

aggi wrote:On pubs:

There's basically three sets of options.

Next to the ground is the Drayton Park. Entirely average away fan designated pub, tends to be a decent amosphere as it's full of away fans but that's about it.

North of the ground is Finsbury Park/Blackstock Rd. The twelve pins/the blackstock are on the corner near the tube. The twelve pins is the better pub, popular with both sets of fans and super quick bar service given how busy it is. The Blackstock is OK but a bit rough. As you head further north (away from the ground) the pubs get nicer. The world's end is pretty near the station and quite a decent pub, has sky sports. A bit further is the Faltering Fullback which is mainly a rugby pub, has a great beer garden. Further up still are the Old Dairy and Stapleton Tavern. I'd favour the Old Dairy but both are excellent pubs.

The other way is towards Highbury and Islington and has some decent places but tend to be busy. There's the Wetherspoon's next to the station, the White Swan, the famous Cock or the Brewhouse kitchen across the roundabout. All are big pubs with decent beer. Further up towards the ground there's the House of Hammerton and Arkstar. Both excelent but trendy pubs. Have some really interesting beers on but will be busy.

On transport:

The ground is nearest to Arsenal (Piccadilly line) but also easy walking distance from Highbury and Islington (Victoria) and Finsbury Park (Victoria, Piccadilly and mainline train services).

If you come into Euston then it's a few stops on the Victoria line, if you come into Kings Cross then a few stops on either the Victoria or Piccadilly. If you are going on the tube the easiest way to pay is to use a contactless credit/debit card, that will always get you the cheapest fare.

If driving then there's very little parking around the ground, most is residents only on matchdays. I'd advise parking either out at the end of the Piccadilly line (Cockfosters, Oakwood or Arnos Grove all have car parks with 200-300 spaces, Arnos Grove is the largest but closest in) or at one of the mainline stations on the route to Finsbury Park (Potters Bar, Welwyn, Hatfield, Stevenage, Hitchin, etc)
Brilliant aggi

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 pm

Mods - Is it possible for these General Info Threads to put as a sticky at the top, as once they disappear off the front page they are difficult to find or people don't even realise that they exist?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:30 pm

Leisure wrote:Mods - Is it possible for these General Info Threads to put as a sticky at the top, as once they disappear off the front page they are difficult to find or people don't even realise that they exist?
Already there as per the first post on this thread
This user liked this post: Leisure

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm

Just a suggestion but maybe adding General Info to that thread title ie Away Travel Threads/Bookings/General Info, would make it more accurate now.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:43 pm

Done
This user liked this post: Leisure

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:04 pm

Very much looking forward to this game now. Hope to sample a few pubs in the Angel area after the match

Can recommend the Earl of Essex and Island Queen for those who have a bit of time after the game

Leisure

Post by Leisure » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 am

Accy Clarets now have 2 spare seats if anyone is interested.
This user liked this post: Bop

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

No Parking at Cockfosters Station

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:08 pm

Just been on the NCP website to check the postcode for Cockfosters underground station parking and there is this message:

"Transport for London have informed us that Cockfosters Station car park will be closed on the weekend of the 17 and 18 August. This closure is subject to change, please check back for the latest information."

I was going to park here so glad I saw this, https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/c ... s-stn-tfl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

levraiclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 1460 times

Re: No Parking at Cockfosters Station

Post by levraiclaret » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Two or three years ago I used to street park near Tuffnell Park station until the station closed for refurbishment. I used the junction with Breknock road for the satnav.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:19 pm

damo_whitehead wrote:Just been on the NCP website to check the postcode for Cockfosters underground station parking and there is this message:

"Transport for London have informed us that Cockfosters Station car park will be closed on the weekend of the 17 and 18 August. This closure is subject to change, please check back for the latest information."

I was going to park here so glad I saw this, https://www.ncp.co.uk/find-a-car-park/c ... s-stn-tfl/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's our plans changing tomorrow then

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's our plans changing tomorrow then
And mine, Oakwood (the next station on the tube line) has parking so will be giving that a try I think.

Thanks for moving my thread too

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 am

On the 9am train from Norwich. Already a good number of Arsenal fans on. Hope they go home miserable! Will probably have a pint at Kings Cross and head up. Can’t wait! UTC!
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:19 am

90 minute journey for me, including walking to station and walk from Highbury & Islington. Setting off in about an hour. Yes, I guess I will see some Arsenal fans on the tube. The weather is perfect for some lunchtime football.

Come on you Clarets!

PS: Mustn't forget my tickets!

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:35 am

Drive past Cockfosters (station will be on your left) about 50 metres there's a residential road to the right, free parking down that road everytime I've been.

Reb
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by Reb » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:44 am

No parking at all in Cockfosters or surrounding roads which are all closed due to a festival in Trent Park.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:57 am

Who's on the bench for us?

OK forget that I've just seen the other thread.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:57 pm

Big thanks from me because this thread worked. We had intended parking at Cockfosters (we usually use park in the residential area but the restrictions now include Saturdays). We followed the advice and went to Oakwood, parked easily and got there and back out very easily.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Managed to park just past Archway where the residents parking is Mon-Fri. Nice leafy street. Caught bus down and back. All good.