Heats

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NL Claret
Been Liked: 522 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Re: Heats

Post by NL Claret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:59 pm

Claretmatt4 wrote:No I don't at all. I love Tom to bits but the club comes first. He can leave to anyone but not a relegation rival. It's not like we'd be denying him a huge move, a likely relegation scrap in the Midlands...?

All well and good being classy but well look foolish if we go down and they stay up at our expense as I'll be sure Heaton will have a say in that one way or another.
Not a huge move? 3 year contract with probably a pay rise and a signing on fee. He's going to a club , in my opinion, bigger than Burnley who have more financial clout. Moving to Villa might increase his England chances too, will be more in the spotlight playing for a newly promoted big city club.

He's been top drawer on and off the field for Burnley for 6 years, why should the club deny him a move which at 33 is his last opportunity at playing for a bigger club with the financial benefits?
These 4 users liked this post: mkmel ten bellies BOYSIE31 Lord Beamish

IAmAClaret
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 306 times

Post by IAmAClaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:59 pm

No one can argue with what Heaton has done for the club in the 6 years he's been here, both as a player and a representative of the club. At 33, he is worthy of making a decision that suits him better than us, he owes us nothing.

Villa is an ideal choice for him, doesn't need to relocate his family etc, and will get a nice windfall as he approaches the latter stages of his career. The club I'm sure will be treating him as a person, as well as an asset, which is the best way. There will be an understating of Tom's situation by both the board and Dyche.

It'll be a happy ending, on a fantastic 6 years, no ill feeling on either side - the way it should always be (very similar to Sam Vokes too).

He'll always be a Claret, and a bloody good one at that.
These 8 users liked this post: NL Claret mkmel Greenmile Juan Tanamera rob63 Siddo martin_p Lord Beamish

HarryPottsDesk
Been Liked: 28 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by HarryPottsDesk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:06 pm

Stop making sense. Don't you know where you are?
These 2 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera rob63

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:17 pm

boyyanno wrote:Not that I agree with the original post but Barton would fit the criteria. He's the only one though unless you count Steven Reid but I thought he was more defensive back-up than midfield for us.
Only Barton, really. And the Fa's gambling net was closing in on him then. Joey's 2nd spell was nothing like his first for us in our Championship year, as much cover as anything else?
Reid was cover too. Don't remember him playing much?

Think my comment was a bit of exasperation at the original post really.
Same posters constantly knocking anything the club does.
I rarely bite, must have caught me off guard. :)
I'm as disappointed as anyone Tom's leaving. But he obviously wants to go.

But sounds like we're getting a good prospect for Billy to work his magic on and, we still have 2 top notch international keepers!

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:33 pm

I've just wasted an hour of my Life reading the tosh about Tom....Thankfully we still have Sean Dyche and in this instance Billy Mercer and all the Backroom staff....now without Them I would be worried....onwards and upwards nothing to worry about.UTC!! :D
This user liked this post: Longsider

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 pm

Once Pope signed that long term contract at the end of last season, I think that would have been the final straw for Tom. Especially after his strong 2nd half of the season where he was one of the factors behind Burnley surviving in the Prem. Goalkeepers want to be no. 1 and in the starting 11 week after week and Tom is no different in respect of this. Hope that Pope's injury is not too serious, for me the jury's out with Hart but I hope that a season under the tutelage of Billy Mercer will have helped. Gutted that we have sold him to a rival Prem team, but that's football. He's 33 so you can't deny him one last big move. He's top drawer for me, and I would like to think he will have fond memories of his time at Burnley. You will always be a Claret Tom. Thank you, but life goes on. Hopefully we can get a couple of new signings done before the season starts.
These 2 users liked this post: rob63 Siddo

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1487 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 pm

Playing for a media darling team like Villa will increase Toms chance of England caps.Despite stellar performances for us Tom was often overlooked and benched

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1697 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:46 pm

Well said IAM-fully endorse what you say about this person

Got us two promotions, played great in the PL stopping a number of teams tonking us, cost us nothing and went for £8m plus. Has been a great captain and ambassador of the club, and for me the best claret goal keeper since Alan Stevenson. Tom we wish you the very best and thank you for helping bring pride to our football club and town
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 499 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:46 pm

There seems to be quite a lot of posts along the lines of (to paraphrase) "can see why Tom wants a move but club have made a mistake selling to a relegation rival"

There must be footballing reasons behind this as far as Tom is concerned, moving to a club where he will effectively be undisputed 'number one' with a view to forcing his way back into the England reckoning ahead of the Euros - in which case, bearing in mind 12/14 PL clubs will be mindful of relegation, if he decided he wanted to leave then it was pretty much inevitable he'd sign for a so-called rival. The club can't pick and choose who's interested in signing our players. They seem to be pretty much in a no-win situation on this occasion.

Once Tom had decided not to sign a new deal there's no outcome that would have made everybody happy. Seems to me the club have handled this as well as they could under the circumstances. Blocking the move would have been the wrong thing to do on every level and completely contrary to the ethos SD has worked so hard to instill, with massively successful results, since he arrived.
These 8 users liked this post: tim_noone Buxtonclaret elwaclaret simonclaret Hibsclaret Juan Tanamera nil_desperandum longsidepies

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:54 pm

FFS directors which keeper we either have on the books or could have on the books would ever show this passion ?. Passion and love are that percentage we saw after the Everton fiasco. He kept us up .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBbdA7zZZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3766 times
Has Liked: 7557 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:55 pm

Good post, Earby 8-)

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 pm

bfcjg wrote:FFS directors which keeper we either have on the books or could have on the books would ever show this passion ?. Passion and love are that percentage we saw after the Everton fiasco. He kept us up .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tBBbdA7zZZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Pope was always very passionate when we scored when he was playing

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:23 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:There seems to be quite a lot of posts along the lines of (to paraphrase) "can see why Tom wants a move but club have made a mistake selling to a relegation rival"

There must be footballing reasons behind this as far as Tom is concerned, moving to a club where he will effectively be undisputed 'number one' with a view to forcing his way back into the England reckoning ahead of the Euros - in which case, bearing in mind 12/14 PL clubs will be mindful of relegation, if he decided he wanted to leave then it was pretty much inevitable he'd sign for a so-called rival. The club can't pick and choose who's interested in signing our players. They seem to be pretty much in a no-win situation on this occasion.

Once Tom had decided not to sign a new deal there's no outcome that would have made everybody happy. Seems to me the club have handled this as well as they could under the circumstances. Blocking the move would have been the wrong thing to do on every level and completely contrary to the ethos SD has worked so hard to instill, with massively successful results, since he arrived.
This is spot on. People who say “little old Burnley” are often the ones who are also calling this bad business. It’s not only the fact that unrest with Heaton would be caused by denying this move, despite the fact we have a younger and, at least in my eyes, equally capable replacement available to us right now - it’s the precedent it sets with incoming players.

We will, for most younger players, be a stepping stone club. And that’s ok, if players want a move higher, they’ve got to earn it through performances, which we will benefit from. But if they earn a move to a higher salary, and it’s seen that we’d simply prevent them from doing so, then why would players sign in the first place?

£8m rising to £10m, goalkeeper or not, is a good deal for a 33 year old with one year left, when we have a replacement.
These 4 users liked this post: Longsider tim_noone rob63 Siddo

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:06 pm

We all love Tom and if he was happy to fight it out with Pope for the jersey i’m sure he would be staying. After his amazing service I agree it would be impossible to stand in his way. West Brom always struck me as a club who were petty minded enough to refuse a sale to a so called relegation rival. How did that strategy work out for them?
Let Tom leave with good feelings on all sides, give him a great reception if he returns with Villa but in the meantime back Dyche/Mercer when it comes to decisions like this. Does anyone really think that Garlick would decide on this against the wishes of Dyche? He might seem excessively prudent with the purse strings when it comes to buying players but so far his overall strategy for the club can’t be faulted. It made me laugh hearing this described as a Dobson moment. We’re going from 3 England keepers to 2 by selling the oldest. I’m trying to remember who replaced Dobbo for our next match/ was it Billy Ingram? Now that is a drop in class much as we all loved the Ginger Pele!
These 2 users liked this post: dsr beeholeclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5074 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:07 pm

Goobs wrote:Pope was always very passionate when we scored when he was playing
Not the same IMHO.

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Post by kaptin1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:10 pm

We finished 7th in the Premier League with Pope in goal. I think we’ll be alright.
This user liked this post: Woodleyclaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 pm

The concern is whether Pope is even fit. Only featured twice in pre season. You’d imagine he must play the full 90 on Saturday if he is to start the Southampton game.

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1239 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 pm

Can’t be bothered reading all 10 pages but can anybody remind me of one mistake that Pope has made whilst in goal for Burnley?

You could probably point to Leicester away in 17/18 and possibly what lead to him getting injured against Aberdeen. So that’s 2 and the second of those was probably because we chose to play him after he had only 2 days training following the summer with England.

We should be fine with Nick.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6488 times
Has Liked: 2911 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:19 pm

Dyche must have told Tom he wasn't no1 choice,simple solution is to go somewhere he is going to be No1 it's not rocket science only one keeper can play..good luck Tom time to move on.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:38 pm

I can just about stomach the logic of letting Heaton go, but I’ll be mega p!ssed off if we sell Tarkowski to Leicester.
These 2 users liked this post: jedi_master Woodleyclaret

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:40 am

At least when we’re conceeding goals for fun with Hart in the nets we can call on him should Pope be injured...oh wait.... :roll:

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11035 times
Has Liked: 5647 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:31 am

scouseclaret wrote:I can just about stomach the logic of letting Heaton go, but I’ll be mega p!ssed off if we sell Tarkowski to Leicester.
I'll drive him if they have to pay the 50 million release clause, he's good but he's not a world beater by any stretch of the imagination
This user liked this post: Siddo

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4185 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 am

Claretmatt4 wrote:No I don't at all. I love Tom to bits but the club comes first. He can leave to anyone but not a relegation rival. It's not like we'd be denying him a huge move, a likely relegation scrap in the Midlands...?

All well and good being classy but well look foolish if we go down and they stay up at our expense as I'll be sure Heaton will have a say in that one way or another.

When did it become it is either us or Villa who goes down ? If we don't get enough points to stay up this season then we deserve to go down. Are you just choosing to ignore the season without Heaton in goal or are you sure Hart is going to be number 1 this season ?

Not about looking classy, it is called respect. Same with the way we handled the Vokes deal once he wanted to move

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:When did it become it is either us or Villa who goes down ? If we don't get enough points to stay up this season then we deserve to go down. Are you just choosing to ignore the season without Heaton in goal or are you sure Hart is going to be number 1 this season ?

Not about looking classy, it is called respect. Same with the way we handled the Vokes deal once he wanted to move
Absolutely.

Part of the reason we are so relatively successful is because of how Dyche handles all the players. This includes when they want to leave.

No chance we will go down with Dyche in charge. There are plenty other probabilities for bottom 3 that’s for sure.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2633 times
Has Liked: 6448 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:05 am

Has he gone yet?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:13 am

At least the Villa fans are happy with this transfer (I bet they are) I just hope we bring in a replacement for Defour amd make use of the money otherwise the only thng that will be looking pretty is our bank balance.

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 am

I wish I had the same confidence in Pope as everyone else on here. He played two thirds of a season, but prior to that he was a championship keeper. There aren't many premier league keepers at his age who has played so few games. There must be a reason for that.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:30 am

Siddo wrote:I wish I had the same confidence in Pope as everyone else on here. He played two thirds of a season, but prior to that he was a championship keeper. There aren't many premier league keepers at his age who has played so few games. There must be a reason for that.
And exactly how many games had Tom Heaton played as a Premier league keeper before joining us, at a similar age to Pope?

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:41 am

Rick_Muller wrote:Has he gone yet?
He is waiting for the 9am x43 from Burnley to Manchester then the train from Piccadilly to New Street.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Hibsclaret

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:43 am

Spijed wrote:And exactly how many games had Tom Heaton played as a Premier league keeper before joining us, at a similar age to Pope?
Two thirds of a season. Think you will find it was over 90%.

MarkGreen
Been Liked: 479 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by MarkGreen » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:04 am

Last edited by MarkGreen on Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 am

MarkGreen wrote:Done! End of an era :(
Good. Let's move on and bring an end to this wailing and gnashing of teeth.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

karatekid
Been Liked: 1108 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 am

Yep. Confirmed by Villa.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 am

scouseclaret wrote:I can just about stomach the logic of letting Heaton go, but I’ll be mega p!ssed off if we sell Tarkowski to Leicester.
If he’s got a release clause in his contract we won’t have any say in the matter.

dpinsussex
Been Liked: 1047 times
Has Liked: 1187 times

Post by dpinsussex » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:09 am

Confirmed. BFC tweeted it

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2461 times
Has Liked: 1992 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:11 am

Bye bye Tom, it’s been a pleasure. Thanks for everything you’ve done for us.
Toms top 10 saves.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1VAetQB2ebc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

summitclaret
Been Liked: 833 times
Has Liked: 1324 times

Post by summitclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:13 am

Don't like it but I gave accepted it as per Sean's comments there let's hope McGuire stays at LC.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 am

Been a great player for us. Now let’s get Pope fit and a decent CM in and we can move forward.

WestMidsClaret
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 506 times

Post by WestMidsClaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:21 am

That save from Austin was still the best save I've ever seen.

ClaretRock
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by ClaretRock » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:24 am

All the best to Tom. (Not at our expense though ;) )

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6363 times
Has Liked: 8707 times

Post by IanMcL » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:26 am

Total best wishes and a huge thank you.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Flat Stanley wrote:Heaton is a model pro. No way he would spit his dummy out if we didn't sell him. He would carry on and do a top job. He is not the sort of person to cause trouble. He wants to leave. So what! keep him for a season and let him leave on a free. We don't need £8m and keeping him could be far more valuable if he helps keep us up. Selling him to a possible relegation rival for that money is madness. He is our first choice keeper.
So how long have you known him personally? How do you know he is 'not the kind of person' to cause trouble? As for 'we don't need 8 million' as opposed to losing him for nothing that seems a bit of odd logic. And why are Villa possible relegation rivals, a ball hasn't been kicked yet and you are already making assumptions about our season (and Villa's).

Prediction: we will not get relegated (or be in a relegation scrap) and neither will Villa. We have strengthened our outfield and still have two (yes 2) top goalkeepers. If Pope were to read this thread he would be seriously p!ssed off with a lot of fans.
This user liked this post: Sausage