Is this the time

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Pommieclaret
Been Liked: 58 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Is this the time

Post by Pommieclaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:17 pm

That we realise that the dream of becoming an established premier league team maybe coming to an end. The realisation is that we cannot or will not compete with spiralling and sometimes obscene wages and the cost of buying players. Gone are the days where players wanted to play in the best leagues in the world it is now just down to what they can earn. Players will sit on the bench week after week so long as there is a big fat pay check at the end of it. Once a team knows a premier league team is interested in one of their players the fees suddenly become astronomical, is this because there is no other way of teams being able to survive. Just take a look at Bury and Bolton, someone has to step in and stop the inevitable. Maybe it's time for the top 6 to break away

claretblue
Been Liked: 1835 times
Has Liked: 962 times

Re: Is this the time

Post by claretblue » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:22 pm

[quote=Maybe it's time for the top 6 to break away[/quote]

but I don't want Burnley to break away!

;)
This user liked this post: dsr

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5185 times
Has Liked: 803 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XonDLg3e5wU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:26 pm

5noHKsb.jpg
5noHKsb.jpg (60.84 KiB) Viewed 3879 times

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Thankfully due to good management we are not remotely in the same world as Bury and Bolton and Blackburn. It is becoming harder to fund new acquisitions but the challenge is to develop our own and see where it takes us.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:37 pm

Pommieclaret wrote:That we realise that the dream of becoming an established premier league team maybe coming to an end. The realisation is that we cannot or will not compete with spiralling and sometimes obscene wages and the cost of buying players. Gone are the days where players wanted to play in the best leagues in the world it is now just down to what they can earn. Players will sit on the bench week after week so long as there is a big fat pay check at the end of it. Once a team knows a premier league team is interested in one of their players the fees suddenly become astronomical, is this because there is no other way of teams being able to survive. Just take a look at Bury and Bolton, someone has to step in and stop the inevitable. Maybe it's time for the top 6 to break away
Coming to an end?

Based on what exactly?

MDWat
Been Liked: 878 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Spijed wrote:
Coming to an end?

Based on what exactly?
The fact that most teams are investing, paying the big fees and wages and we’re sticking to our structure? Not a criticism, it’s just more likely the longer it goes on. Sounds pretty straight forward and accurate to me.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 128 times

Post by KlyBfc » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:41 pm

Aren’t able to compete/ willing to?

Out of interest (apart from Heaton) who have Villa, Sheff Utd or Norwich signed that you think we should have?
Who out of those they have signed (Heaton apart) donyou think gets in our starting line up?

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:43 pm

I like it.

Who doesn't like a little danger and excitement.

If we get of to an ok start and finish 17th it'll be as you were and mission accomplished.

If we get off to a stinker and are bottom with 5 straight defeats, they'll be no better place to be than on the Turf and on here.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:43 pm

Pommieclaret wrote:That we realise that the dream of becoming an established premier league team maybe coming to an end. The realisation is that we cannot or will not compete with spiralling and sometimes obscene wages and the cost of buying players. Gone are the days where players wanted to play in the best leagues in the world it is now just down to what they can earn. Players will sit on the bench week after week so long as there is a big fat pay check at the end of it. Once a team knows a premier league team is interested in one of their players the fees suddenly become astronomical, is this because there is no other way of teams being able to survive. Just take a look at Bury and Bolton, someone has to step in and stop the inevitable. Maybe it's time for the top 6 to break away

Just believe

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:46 pm

Only on a Burnley forum, following a 6-1 demolition of an ok French side, could we have such gloom.

We would still have 2 England keepers if Heats leaves.

We look good all over the pitch... but maybe need one more cm with Defour’s track record.

I can’t see us getting dragged in like last year.

NickBFC
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 290 times

Post by NickBFC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:47 pm

I'm not sure we can say it's coming to an end this season, but it is becoming increasingly difficult for a club like ours to compete financially. We may well stay up this season, but the transfer market will again move next summer and we'll have the same problems. It's imperative the youth structure continues to thrive, and our scouting network has to step up to the plate. There will be rough diamonds somewhere - we need to be able to identify them early enough. If we want to battle with the best then we have to find a way of dealing with the challenges - so far we have managed to.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 pm

We were probably in the top 6/8 after the Everton u til the end of season last year. We have lost Heaton by the looks of it but I doubt our defence will be affected in the same way as they were in the first half of last season as a result this year of him leaving. Last season Europe screwed us and our preperations.

This season we have Jay Rod. A striker that will play if needed and not just used as an impact sub. I felt last year Vokes had lost the trust Dyche had in him in previous years to effect games and plus the constant juggling of the three strikers didnt help.

We will be right. Not to worry

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 pm

MDWat wrote:The fact that most teams are investing, paying the big fees and wages and we’re sticking to our structure? Not a criticism, it’s just more likely the longer it goes on. Sounds pretty straight forward and accurate to me.
It's been exactly the same since we got promoted and each season we stop up with plenty to spare.

And we have exactly the same threads at the start of each season.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1739 times
Has Liked: 271 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 pm

I’m not clear what our strategy is. It seems to have become very focused on the short-term.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:01 pm

agreenwood wrote:I’m not clear what our strategy is. It seems to have become very focused on the short-term.
How do you see that? Surely saving money for a rainy day is more long term? I see clubs spending £100M as being short term. That is unsustainable. If these signing don't work out for Villa they won't have another 100M to spend next summer.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 pm

MDWat wrote:The fact that most teams are investing, paying the big fees and wages and we’re sticking to our structure? Not a criticism, it’s just more likely the longer it goes on. Sounds pretty straight forward and accurate to me.
Yet we have the biggest wage bill in our history.
The promoted teams are busy bringing in new players to give them a chance of staying up.
Other than centre midfield (and Hendrick did have a good game there last night) I think we are well covered in every position on the park.
Villa have spent a lot but how many of their signings as anyone ever heard of ? It’s a massive risk they have taken but they are a big club and presumably can afford it. They got rid of 12 players - would we be happy if we got rid of any of our players and brought in any of Villas new players ? (excluding Heaton !)
It’s easy to forget the quality and experience we already have at the club. It’s exciting times - I love the start of a new season and what could be better than having the likes of Dwight McNeil flying down the wing in front of 20,000 home fans ?!!

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:22 pm

andyh wrote:How do you see that? Surely saving money for a rainy day is more long term? I see clubs spending £100M as being short term. That is unsustainable. If these signing don't work out for Villa they won't have another 100M to spend next summer.
The one chink in your theory is that fees and wages are only going up.

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:34 pm

We’ve made a decision based primarily on age to go with Pope as number 1 and if Tom isn’t prepared to accept this the logic is to sell him and reinvest the transfer fee and wages elsewhere. The same posters who rant and rave about the age of our squad are now up in arms when Dyche chooses youth. Our only chance of competing long term is through our academy and I thought it was telling last night watching JRod talking in a group to the younger players after the final whistle. It looks like he is already highly influential and could prove an inspiring signing.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole