England v Australia 1st Ashes Test

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Re: England v Australia 1st Ashes Test

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:41 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If Bairstow isn't contributing any runs then we may as well give the gloves to Foakes or Buttler who are both far better wicket keepers. Him and Mooen Ali are being picked purely on their name at the minute.
Buttler as wk/captain ?

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:52 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:What is the point in sending Anderson in when he’s injured?
They’ve already said batting in the first innings made it worse.
Ludicrous decision to send Jimmy in
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum kentonclaret joey13

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:53 pm

jrgbfc wrote:If Bairstow isn't contributing any runs then we may as well give the gloves to Foakes or Buttler who are both far better wicket keepers. Him and Mooen Ali are being picked purely on their name at the minute.
And if he is contributing with the bat, he still shouldn’t be keeping wicket.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:57 pm

We once had a wicket keeper at Redrose who never contributed with the bat but we still let him play .

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:01 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:I think that you might find quite a lot of disagreement there.
Personally I think he's had an absolute nightmare.
Firstly, 122-8 , and he goes all defensive, (that tactic against Siddle was probably where the game was won and lost, they should have been out for below 175.)
Added to that innumerable inexplicable bowling changes and field placings, and then yesterday. A bowler short and he hardly used Woakes, and ok Moeen's off-form but he should have bowled more overs rather than the 2 Joes.
I don't think he's got much right tbh.
He's not a good captain.
I was giving him pass marks for his batting,and that's being generous,his captaincy on the 1st day was bizarre,a team 122-8 and you set defensive fields,sure Steve Smith is a class player,but he was batting with 10 & 11,you shouldn't be having boundary riders on the 1st day of a test match,when a team's 8 down.

By all accounts Woakes was fit,so it's barmy that he didn't bowl much yesterday,fair enough give Moeen 2/3 overs to see if he can get any turn,but there was help for the seamers on the 4th morning,Broad beat the bat several times,and was unlucky not to pick up a wicket or two.

Of the current 11 only Stokes strikes me as captain material,i don't think he'd let the game drift as Root did yesterday,he'd try and make something happen,not just sit back and wait for a mistake.

In hindsight both teams should probably have picked a 2nd spinner,the major difference is Lyon is capable of claiming bags of wickets,Mooen's confidence is sadly lacking.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Great day out on the Hollies stand. Great atmosphere despite a below par performance.

I will definitely be going back there.

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Boycott said on the 1st morning that this was a "2 spinner pitch", how we could have done with Leach (for both his batting and bowling)?

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:50 pm

I suspect Boycott also had a few choice words for the manner of the Jason Roy dismissal. Would have to rank as one of the worst shots played by an England opener during an Ashes Series when the objective was to try and bat out the day for a draw.

You can take the batsman out of Limited Overs cricket but not Limited Overs cricket out of the batsman it would seem. :x

Australia significantly strengthened their middle order batting bringing in Matthew Wade and Travis Head who both built big partnerships with Smith in their second knock.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:11 pm

Yep Roy's sudden and bizarre attempt to "wrestle the initiative" was ill judged and fell spectacularly on its face, but I still think our batting generally is strong and that we ended up being forced into an impossible corner after we had the Aussies on the ropes because our spin attack on a very helpful pitch was utter bobbins compared to what Lyon can produce. The Aussies got away with murder after they were 122 for 8 in the first innings and they paddled their way serenely to an unassailable lead largely untroubled in the second. Moeen clearly has to go, but is Leach or (anyone else) any better? Plus the wicket at Lords may well not offer so much turn and it will be seamers under scrutiny, so if we can get Archer in the team it could a different story. The trouble is, the way things went here with spin largely being the deciding factor the Aussies didn't miss Stark one bit, but if he plays at Lords we'll face a different examination also!

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:45 pm

That is the whole point there was no "initiative to be wrestled" Australia had batted themselves into a position where they held all of the cards. If Roy had managed to hit 3 sixes the Aussies were not suddenly going to retreat into a defensive mode. England were not going to win the match from the position they were in.
The problem England encounter in Test Cricket is selecting white ball cricketers who lack the nous and patience to build an innings. As for the Aussies they have plenty of pacemen in the wings including Starc and Hazlewood who may be better suited to Lords than Siddle.
These 3 users liked this post: nil_desperandum tiger76 Dark Cloud

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:53 pm

kentonclaret wrote:I suspect Boycott also had a few choice words for the manner of the Jason Roy dismissal.
Boycott is as negative as they come when it comes to England!

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:02 pm

Wouldn't have minded a few Boycott like innings today,England just threw the towel in.

It shouldn't be beyond international cricketers to bat for 3 sessions FGS,of course it's bloody hard that's the point of test cricket.

Roy just gifted his wicket,after doing the hard work and seeing off the new ball.

He''s talented but i have severe doubts about his temperament to bat for long periods,which as an opener,you need to do especially if you're trying to save the match on a 5th day pitch.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Spijed wrote:Boycott is as negative as they come when it comes to England!
Plenty to get him started today (unfortunately!!)

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm

Obviously Roy's dismissal looks bad but the team needed to force a bit of pressure back on the bowlers as the only one who tried was Woakes.

Only Stokes for a brief period looked like he could play the defensive shot, the rest haven't got one between them.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

It was very tough as Lyon was getting loads of turn and the Aussies had enough runs on the board to have everyone basically surrounding the bat. Roy probably took the view that his demise was inevitable if he just tried to hang around and that attempting to knock Lyon around a bit might just upset his rhythm and thus help himself and the rest of the team waiting in the dressing room. POSSIBLY a decent enough idea in itself, but it was so poorly executed that he made himself look something of a clown. Shame really because after all, those who did try to hang around and play a more cagey game didn't ultimately fair any better.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:37 pm

kentonclaret wrote:That is the whole point there was no "initiative to be wrestled" Australia had batted themselves into a position where they held all of the cards. If Roy had managed to hit 3 sixes the Aussies were not suddenly going to retreat into a defensive mode. England were not going to win the match from the position they were in.
The problem England encounter in Test Cricket is selecting white ball cricketers who lack the nous and patience to build an innings. As for the Aussies they have plenty of pacemen in the wings including Starc and Hazlewood who may be better suited to Lords than Siddle.
They may not have gone into defensive mode to save runs but may have dropped men deep as another way of getting him out and as a result, taken men and pressure from round the bat.

Only Roy will know why he did it and whatever his thinking was, it failed spectacularly.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:51 pm

If you pick one day players in the Test team you can't just suddenly expect them to change their game overnight. I know Bayliss was brought in mainly for the one day side of things so he's done his job with winning the World cup, but he's taken the Test team backwards.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:03 pm

We have played so much white ball cricket both at county and international level for so long we are world beaters at that form of the game.

So when Roy, Burns, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow and Woakes are asked to bat for a day and not score runs but protect their wicket it is totally against their natural game and they don't know how to play on day 5 of a test match.

And we have nobody better to replace them with.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:12 pm

tybfc wrote:We have played so much white ball cricket both at county and international level for so long we are world beaters at that form of the game.

So when Roy, Burns, Stokes, Buttler, Bairstow and Woakes are asked to bat for a day and not score runs but protect their wicket it is totally against their natural game and they don't know how to play on day 5 of a test match.

Well that's true but that's why we have to play better, more positively and more consistently earlier in the game. This test match wasn't lost today. We had several good opportunities to put ourselves in a strong winning position on at least 2 occasions earlier in this match, and spectacularly failed to do so. Had we bowled them out cheaper on day one, (rather than going negative) and had we not squandered a good batting position at the beginning of day 3 we could / would have been facing "one day" target today, and our mindset would have been v different.
No excuses - we completely messed up in this Test.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:06 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Well that's true but that's why we have to play better, more positively and more consistently earlier in the game. This test match wasn't lost today. We had several good opportunities to put ourselves in a strong winning position on at least 2 occasions earlier in this match, and spectacularly failed to do so. Had we bowled them out cheaper on day one, (rather than going negative) and had we not squandered a good batting position at the beginning of day 3 we could / would have been facing "one day" target today, and our mindset would have been v different.
That's the annoyance,if the Aussies had played us off the park over 5 days,you could accept that,but we had the better of the first 2 days by and large,and day 3 i'd have as even,the game slipped away not on day one,although we should have rolled them over for at least a hundred less than they got,the key period for me was the 3rd morning when England collapsed from 282-4 to 300-8,we could have batted Australia out of the match,if we'd amassed 450+ when the pitch was easier for batting,as they showed by racking up 487-7 in their 2nd innings,then they would have been facing a deficit of say 200 not a 100 or so.

That much vaunted middle order of Buttler,Bairstow and Moeen failed to get to double figures in either innings,and managed a paltry 24 runs between them.

Compare that to Head,Wade and Paine,and you can see it wasn't only Smith's brilliance that was the difference as well as he played.

The problem is who is going step up with the bat at Lords,if England are too change the dynamic of this series,it's simple we have to win the toss,bat first and put 500+ on the board,if we can do that then we'll see what the Aussies are really made off,the first day showed they aren't supermen,and they have weaknesses to exploit.

I don't think the domestic schedule has helped England either,the Australians have a 3 day match at Worcester this week,which will allow them to get batting practice for the likes of Warner and Bancroft,i suspect Smith and others will sit that one out.

Meanwhile England's players will either have their feet up,or they''ll be playing white ball cricket,how on earth are they supposed to find their form and focus to go into a 5 day test match.

I know it's been a WC year,but the ECB seem to have taken their eyes off the ball regarding this Ashes series,the best thing for England's batsman would be a CC game,this would allow them time in the middle.and possibly they could play themselves back into form before Lords.

Also Jimmy A,and Jofra A could really test their match fitness,the nets and T20 are one thing,a 5 day test match is quite another.

Whoever the selectors pick to bowl in the 2nd test,they'd better be confident they can last more than 4 overs.

I have to pose the :?: would Jimmy Anderson have been picked if his name wasn't Jimmy Anderson,i don't care who you are if you're not fit,you can't be considered for selection in any sport,would Barcelona select Messi if he wasn't fit,no they wouldn't.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:08 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Well that's true but that's why we have to play better, more positively and more consistently earlier in the game. This test match wasn't lost today. We had several good opportunities to put ourselves in a strong winning position on at least 2 occasions earlier in this match, and spectacularly failed to do so. Had we bowled them out cheaper on day one, (rather than going negative) and had we not squandered a good batting position at the beginning of day 3 we could / would have been facing "one day" target today, and our mindset would have been v different.
The captain has to take a whole load of the blame for field placings at 122/8 on day 1
These 3 users liked this post: HunterST_BFC nil_desperandum Buxtonclaret

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:16 pm

tybfc wrote:The captain has to take a whole load of the blame for field placings at 122/8 on day 1
This ^^^

Plus bizzare choices with the same issues 2nd innings + bowling choices.
(really could not understand the lack of pressure exerted - almost invited players to get in).

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 194 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 pm

We got the selection totally wrong in my opinion, not sure who to blame for Jimmy's selection and injury (him the selectors or was it just a freak incident like Root said). Anyway as bad as our batting was today, bowling with 1 and half or 2 bowlers light is never gonna end well. For me I would rest one of Bairstow or Butler and bring in Foakes if fit think he might be a better bet than either of them with his batting technique anyway. Not likely and probably not fair to judge already but I would consider moving Denly up to open and move Roy to 4 or maybe 3. If fit and able Archer for Anderson I might try and get Sam Curran involved maybe instead of Moeen. He is not right at the moment so should be dropped whatever not sure anyone good enough as a spinner alone so as said I would be tempted to go with root and Denly as spin option and have Curran instead.

JarrowClaret

Post by JarrowClaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 pm

As others have mentioned some of Roots decisions in the Test were strange but some I think were at least in part an upshot of Anderson getting injured so early. In the sense that it is 5 Tests in a very short period and Woakes and others have a long history of Injuries and would be worse to kill them off in the first Test.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:00 am

tybfc wrote:We have played so much white ball cricket both at county and international level for so long we are world beaters at that form of the game.

Bit harsh to include Burns, who batted more than a day and scored a century and Woakes, a number nine who batted very well in the first innings in there.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Bit harsh to include Burns, who batted more than a day and scored a century and Woakes, a number nine who batted very well in the first innings in there.
I was not really criticising the individual batsmen but more the system.

If you looked at our batting order at 11am yesterday would you have backed us to bat all day even on a dead pitch?

The Aussies were fired up and we aren't geared up to play out a fifth day to save a game.

The last time I can remember anybody doing that was when Michael Atherton had a battle with Allan Donald and saved a game and took a real battering and the the likes of Boycott and Close would bat all day long and score no runs to draw a match.

It is just the way the game has evolved in this country and around the world with the IPL also.
This user liked this post: CleggHall

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 am

Agree wholeheartedly ty, the game has been heading in this direction (white ball slogging) for several years. Somewhat worryingly, the failing batsmen don't seem too bothered and are assured of their places because there is little better in county cricket where games seldom go 4 days. Instant gratification is the 21st Century requirement.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:35 am

Prior to this Ashes Series getting under way the message was that the World Cup win would inspire England.

Now, the message being put out is that the World Cup win has drained the players mentally and physically.

The media can put more spin on a story than Nathan Lyon. :lol:

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:48 am

Jimmy Anderson "definitely out of second test".
(BBC)

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:55 am

Hardly a shock,at least it's confirmed early,so we won't have the will he,won't he play stuff going on for days.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:03 am

ElectroClaret wrote:Jimmy Anderson "definitely out of second test".
(BBC)
Did anyone honestly think there was any chance?, and given how long he's now effectively been "out", (if we exclude the 4 overs at Edgbaston), I doubt we'll see him in this series.
He certainly shouldn't now be considered until he's had a really thorough test in at least one 4 day Championship game, so I think the 4th test at OT on Sept 4th might be a realistic target. (And even that's only 4 weeks way).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:07 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Did anyone honestly think there was any chance?, and given how long he's now effectively been "out", (if we exclude the 4 overs at Edgbaston), I doubt we'll see him in this series.
He certainly shouldn't now be considered until he's had a really thorough test in at least one 4 day Championship game, so I think the 4th test at OT on Sept 4th might be a realistic target. (And even that's only 4 weeks way).
Sadly, I am beginning to think his test career could be at an end.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:09 am

ClaretTony wrote:Sadly, I am beginning to think his test career could be at an end.
Obviously I can't give that post a "like", but I'm afraid that I have to agree. Let's hope he proves like-minded people totally wrong and bounces back.

JarrowClaret

Post by JarrowClaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:23 am

Great article by George Donell I think.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id ... iar-defeat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 am

CleggHall wrote:Agree wholeheartedly ty, the game has been heading in this direction (white ball slogging) for several years. Somewhat worryingly, the failing batsmen don't seem too bothered and are assured of their places because there is little better in county cricket where games seldom go 4 days. Instant gratification is the 21st Century requirement.
There has to be changes for the Lords test,who comes in is a quandary,but that farce can't be tolerated anymore.

The ECB might have to consider picking four-day specialists regardless of reputation.

My 11 for next week currently reads

Burns
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Sam Curran
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I can't see how Roy,Buttler,Bairstow and Moeen can be kept in after that s**tstorm of a performance,either they're not suited to test cricket (Roy) or hopelessly out of nick.

We might as well full the team with all-rounders,at least then we have bowling options,and it's not as if the so-called specialist batsman are chalking up the centuries.

The toss is crucial next week,if England win it and bat first up,and put 500+ on the board,the complexion of the series could completely change,the problem is even if Joe does call correctly,you can't see where the runs are coming from.

If England can't find a formula to dismiss Steve Smith for less than 140,and also find a way of negating Lyon,for once Glenn McGrath's prediction of 5-0,will be accurate.

Knowing the selectors they'll probably take the easy way out and just change Jofra for Jimmy,they haven't got the balls to upset their pin-up boys.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3749 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:02 am

ClaretTony wrote:Sadly, I am beginning to think his test career could be at an end.
Afraid I've been thinking the same.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am

tiger76 wrote:There has to be changes for the Lords test,who comes in is a quandary,but that farce can't be tolerated anymore.

The ECB might have to consider picking four-day specialists regardless of reputation.

My 11 for next week currently reads

Burns
Denly
Root
Pope
Stokes
Sam Curran
Foakes
Woakes
Broad
Archer
Leach

I can't see how Roy,Buttler,Bairstow and Moeen can be kept in after that s**tstorm of a performance,either they're not suited to test cricket (Roy) or hopelessly out of nick.

We might as well full the team with all-rounders,at least then we have bowling options,and it's not as if the so-called specialist batsman are chalking up the centuries.

The toss is crucial next week,if England win it and bat first up,and put 500+ on the board,the complexion of the series could completely change,the problem is even if Joe does call correctly,you can't see where the runs are coming from.

If England can't find a formula to dismiss Steve Smith for less than 140,and also find a way of negating Lyon,for once Glenn McGrath's prediction of 5-0,will be accurate.

Knowing the selectors they'll probably take the easy way out and just change Jofra for Jimmy,they haven't got the balls to upset their pin-up boys.
That’s a hell of a long tail for a team who are struggling for runs.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:08 am

I thought he’d probably retire after this series, or possibly a winter tour depending on how close he was to 600 wickets and how much he wanted that particular milestone.

Either way, I would have much preferred to see him bow out at least on his own terms, if not on a high.

If this is the end it will be an incredibly sad way to go.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:09 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:That’s a hell of a long tail for a team who are struggling for runs.
No longer than it was at Edgbaston!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:12 am

Before we start changing the team, and my word it needs some changing, we also need our best batsman in top form. Another half century in the first test. I rate Root so highly but if he wants to become a great he's going to have to start moving on those half centuries.

I've just done a comparison with Steve Smith in test cricket.

Joe Root - 58 half centuries of which 16 have been converted into centuries
Steve Smith - 49 half centuries of which 25 have been converted into centuries

As for the team - Roy, Bairstow, Buttler and Moeen would top my list for potential exclusion for the next test.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:15 am

Is it just a coincidence that Jimmy picks the calf strain up in the season he has played more County cricket?

Not exactly been a season designed well for the red ball cricketers.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:57 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:Is it just a coincidence that Jimmy picks the calf strain up in the season he has played more County cricket?

Not exactly been a season designed well for the red ball cricketers.
He wasn't going to play in the ODIs, so needed to do some bowling in order to keep his fitness etc. I don't think he was over-bowled in the County game. In fact - theoretically - if he'd done less bowling he would ironically have been considered more at risk of breaking down.
It's just a mixture of his age and bad luck.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:49 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:He wasn't going to play in the ODIs, so needed to do some bowling in order to keep his fitness etc. I don't think he was over-bowled in the County game. In fact - theoretically - if he'd done less bowling he would ironically have been considered more at risk of breaking down.
It's just a mixture of his age and bad luck.
I went to Lancs recent County Championship game at Sedbergh school where Jimmy played.

He bowled very well and looked fit.

David Lloyd was there for every day of that match and was talking to Anderson who said that he had no injury worries whatsoever and that the practice was helping his fitness for the Ashes.

So yes age and bad luck may well be the answer but we may have seen the best of Jimmy.

But when he does pack in playing he must become a bowling coach as he is so clever in his knowledge of how to bowl and the thought process behind each delivery.

tybfc

Post by tybfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Before we start changing the team, and my word it needs some changing, we also need our best batsman in top form. Another half century in the first test. I rate Root so highly but if he wants to become a great he's going to have to start moving on those half centuries.

As for the team - Roy, Bairstow, Buttler and Moeen would top my list for potential exclusion for the next test.
Tony - I'm glad we aren't selectors. Viv Richards was recently asked who was the best cricketer in the world in the past decade and he replied Jos Buttler. But he is in a woeful run of form. Please send him back to Old Trafford for Friday night's roses t20 game and I'd snap your hand off.

There is no way that those four players will be dropped as we don't have four better players to replace them. Ali I would drop as he has lost all confidence. Bairstow I would possibly drop and give the gloves to Foakes.

They could do worse than looking at Matty Parkinson from Lancs to replace Ali. Been bowling some brilliant right arm leg spin recently and taking wickets.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Before we start changing the team, and my word it needs some changing, we also need our best batsman in top form. Another half century in the first test. I rate Root so highly but if he wants to become a great he's going to have to start moving on those half centuries.

Tough holding him up against Smith. To effectively pass 50 49 times and convert to over 100 in over 50% of those innings is incredible. That said, Root's record of 28% conversion definitely needs improving. Couple of useful benchmarks would be Cook and KP up at around the 40% mark.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:18 pm

Papabendi wrote:Tough holding him up against Smith. To effectively pass 50 49 times and convert to over 100 in over 50% of those innings is incredible. That said, Root's record of 28% conversion definitely needs improving. Couple of useful benchmarks would be Cook and KP up at around the 40% mark.
I only used Smith really because they are the best batsmen in the two teams and Smith’s runs here were the difference between the two sides.

His conversion rate to hundreds is phenomenal but Root is more than capable of improving his rate and has to.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 pm

Hard to drop Bairstow when it seems like they've given him the freedom to dictate who keeps wicket and where he bats in the order. Foakes didn't put a foot wrong in Sri Lanka keeping on turning wickets and made runs but was seemingly dropped after Bairstow spat his dummy out.

kentonclaret

Post by kentonclaret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 pm

I see Australia have arranged a 3 day game with Worcester starting tomorrow to give those on the fringes of the squad a run out.
They have had a very good preparation for these Ashes and it seems to be paying off.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:54 pm

Good news Jofra is fit again and in the wickets and runs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/49271862

Bad news Wood,Anderson and Olly Stone are all sidelined.

The Aussies are looking strong wickets for Hazlewood and Starc,and runs for Head and Harris and Khawaja.

Chris Morris seems to know how to repel the Aussies,his last 2 innings against the tourists have yielded 25* and 53*,maybe England's batsman should ask him for some tips.

The Australians are certainly getting better preparation than England,really England's batters could do with some 1st class action,it must be about ten weeks or so since they played in a CC game,i know it's a WC Summer,but the diary hasn't helped them,how are they supposed to find their form if they can't get any time in the middle.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:57 pm

I did wonder whether England could arrange some sort of game to give the likes of Buttler, Roy, Bairstow some batting and also to look at alternatives to Ali and a replacement for Anderson in case Archer did not come through his game for Sussex.

The way collapsed to spin on Monday also got me thinking about how batters prepare for situations like that. I know they used the Merlin bowling machine in the past; not sure if the still do but if so, do they just bat in the nets with it or do they set up a match situation i.e. have fielders around the bat?