A message from Tom Heaton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3189 times
Has Liked: 1870 times

Re: A message from Tom Heaton

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:28 am

Tall Paul wrote:So now you've replied, he can't :lol:
I realised that as I was doing it :lol: - but its useful to know for the future

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:29 am

Corky wrote:I agree with Heathclaret. Heatons comments are a bit weasel words for me. Just wait for the usual bullshit...Oh I'm so glad to be at Villa, I've always thought what a fantastic club, I'd spoken to so and so about it and he said it is heaven on earth etc etc. Actions speak louder than words and he left us.
We'll get over it but don't take us for mugs.
Nice to see a few on here not swallowing the 'Saint Tom' nonsense. He didn't want to play for us and thought he was bigger than the club, it's as simple as that. He's gone for money and that in itself I don't have a problem with, the problem is so many people losing sleep over a player leaving the club OF HIS OWN ACCORD. He isn't a saint and he is just as money grabbing as most players, it's quite sad to see so many on here reacting as though their best mate has just died.

Come on Pope - at least he had the decency to sign a new contract even though he was second choice. On the pitch we will miss Heaton not one jot.
These 2 users liked this post: Jeremy_Bentham Corky

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:30 am

Jilted Boyfriend Syndrome abounds.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:34 am

houseboy wrote:
Come on Pope - at least he had the decency to sign a new contract even though he was second choice. On the pitch we will miss Heaton not one jot.
Pope clearly signed the contract on the understanding he’ll be number one, implied or otherwise. Hence Heaton moving on. And he had every right to be ****** off last season when Hart was put ahead of him in the queue for reasons only known to the manager until that was rectified after the Boxing Day shambles against Everton.

Your last line is utter nonsense.

EDIT - and how you can’t have a positive view of a player who cost us nothing and helped us achieve so much is beyond me.

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:15 am

Bingo, and here it is from Heaton...

“I spent a bit of time working with Nigel Spink at Bristol City, obviously a bit of a hero at the football club.

“I spoke to him not so long ago and he filled me in on what the club is all about and how much it means to everyone.”

And just in case a chat with Villa’s legendary European Cup winning goalkeeper wasn’t enough - Smith finished the job.

“He has a real positive outlook, I was really impressed with everything he had to say about the way the wants to play, the club, the players and it got me on board straight away really - not that I needed much persuasion.

It's what they do. I haven't got a problem with it, but now he's gone we move on. He's yesterdays hero.

bpgburn
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by bpgburn » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:25 am

bfcjg wrote:To me it feels like a bereavment . Gutted. I wish him all the best. Having played a bit a solid keeper who keeps you on your toes is vital.
Jeeeeeez!!! I take it you haven't yet experienced a bereavement of someone close to you then?

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:31 am

Corky wrote:Bingo, and here it is from Heaton...

“I spent a bit of time working with Nigel Spink at Bristol City, obviously a bit of a hero at the football club.

“I spoke to him not so long ago and he filled me in on what the club is all about and how much it means to everyone.”

And just in case a chat with Villa’s legendary European Cup winning goalkeeper wasn’t enough - Smith finished the job.

“He has a real positive outlook, I was really impressed with everything he had to say about the way the wants to play, the club, the players and it got me on board straight away really - not that I needed much persuasion.

It's what they do. I haven't got a problem with it, but now he's gone we move on. He's yesterdays hero.
Soon it'll be "Burnley, Who?". ;)

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:36 am

Corky wrote:Bingo, and here it is from Heaton...

You honestly think he wouldn’t or shouldn’t try and get the fans on board?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:37 am

Vokes sounded genuinely gutted about leaving. Heaton just sounds like he has to say some positive things but all in all is happy to leave.

Good.

Go down with Villa and never get in the England squad again.

Corky

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:You honestly think he wouldn’t or shouldn’t try and get the fans on board?
Did you actually read what I said. It wasn't in Swahili you know. ;)

I did say that it is what they do. I haven't got a problem with it but don't take me and other more worldly and perhaps yes maybe more cynical people for mugs.

claretrobo1
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by claretrobo1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 am

The absolute state of some of these comments. He’ll have been told Pope is will be number one, Heaton is 33 and wants to play first team football whilst he still has the chance. Of course he will want to leave!! And he’s gone to a big club which will pay him good money - buzzing for him. Some people need to grow up, seriously.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Dyched
Been Liked: 1923 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:27 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:You honestly think he wouldn’t or shouldn’t try and get the fans on board?
It’s nonsense though isn’t it? Goes to that effort to say something but then says he didn’t need persuading. Sounds like you did Tom. Footballers have been making these messages to new club fans for years. Over the past year or 2 they’ve started with the nonsense of writing something for their former clubs. Why? It’s all very social media. Like when people post pictures of their kids or dog or whatever saying “Love”. No **** sharon.

If Villa are gonna play an attacking brand of football then he won’t have his CH camping on his 6 yd box and route one won’t be an option.

Dougall
Been Liked: 161 times
Has Liked: 222 times

Post by Dougall » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 pm

A professional footballer who represented BFC magnificently for 6 years, played consistently well (when in the side) and was Captain for much of his time here says a courteous and dignified 'thank you' to former colleagues - AND the fans - when he moves on. And he does it in a way that shows the same class as he always showed as an ambassador for BFC (whether the cameras were there or not) and yet posters on here are queuing up to fire potshots!!
From the evidence available of the character that Tom Heaton is, my conclusion would be that he DID write the thank you and that he DOES mean it, even though - as a grown man - he's made a decision to move on in his career. The two aren't mutually exclusive!
It's a shame that so many posters can't take a leaf out of Tom Heaton's book, as demonstrated over six years, and show some class!!
These 2 users liked this post: holdyourfire cricketfieldclarets

Spijed
Been Liked: 2895 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Corky wrote:“I spent a bit of time working with Nigel Spink at Bristol City"
Translated: He probably threw a ball to him during a training session! ;)

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Swizzlestick wrote:Pope clearly signed the contract on the understanding he’ll be number one, implied or otherwise. Hence Heaton moving on. And he had every right to be ****** off last season when Hart was put ahead of him in the queue for reasons only known to the manager until that was rectified after the Boxing Day shambles against Everton.

Your last line is utter nonsense.

EDIT - and how you can’t have a positive view of a player who cost us nothing and helped us achieve so much is beyond me.
I don't have a problem with Heaton and I wish he'd have stayed but he wanted to go, hence my dismay at all the chest beaters on here behaving like they have been bereaved. As far as Hart is concerned I don't know for sure what planet you live on but he was brought in because Heaton and Pope were BOTH injured and he did a decent job. He was let down to a degree by Tarks and Mee who suddenly decided to go missing until Heaton was re-instated. This got me thinking that somehow they were behaving less than professionally. Heaton was presumably out because he was injured and came back when he was fit. A goalkeeper does not in himself turn a shambles (which we were first half of last season) into a co-ordinated side typical of the season before. Something wasn't right at the start of last season and it wasn't Hart.

What part of my last line is nonsense? Did you not see Pope's displays whilst Heaton was out? My statement that we won't miss Heaton stands up completely unless you think Pope was a half season wonder. Stop trying to deify Heaton, yes he is a great keeper (just how great or not we will find out at Villa) but he is unlikely now at his age to achieve even a fraction of what Hart has achieved, you know, that goalkeeper who some Burnley fans think isn't good enough for Stanley.

We just got 8m for a player who didn't want to play for us and who could have walked away for nothing in less than a year. What's not to like? Excellent business management from the board, unless you are so naive as to think we will suddenly be relegation fodder without Heaton, in which case your disrespect for Pope and indeed the team as a whole is unbelievable.
These 2 users liked this post: Heathclaret Darnhill Claret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:15 pm

Heathclaret wrote:For sure he will be remembered for the right reasons, but to leave in this manner doesn’t sit right. He could have signed a new contract and stayed. He’s earned enough for two lifetimes, and villa compared to Burnley? Shut the front door.

The only loyalty in football is the fan to the club, fed up of hearing about millionaires leaving for one last big pay day. He’s gone, he’s forgotten.
Shut up you tart

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:21 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Vokes sounded genuinely gutted about leaving. Heaton just sounds like he has to say some positive things but all in all is happy to leave.

Good.

Go down with Villa and never get in the England squad again.
It’s called being a professional and planning for your future while accepting a new challenge in the autumn years of his career. He wants ( like any keeper ) to be the undisputed No 1 and he’ll get that at Villa . Quite remarkable to see grown men bitching like stroppy selfish teenagers

Heathclaret
Been Liked: 190 times
Has Liked: 179 times

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:36 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:Shut up you tart

Why?

Corky

Post by Corky » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:37 pm

Dougall wrote:A professional footballer who represented BFC magnificently for 6 years, played consistently well (when in the side) and was Captain for much of his time here says a courteous and dignified 'thank you' to former colleagues - AND the fans - when he moves on. And he does it in a way that shows the same class as he always showed as an ambassador for BFC (whether the cameras were there or not) and yet posters on here are queuing up to fire potshots!!
From the evidence available of the character that Tom Heaton is, my conclusion would be that he DID write the thank you and that he DOES mean it, even though - as a grown man - he's made a decision to move on in his career. The two aren't mutually exclusive!
It's a shame that so many posters can't take a leaf out of Tom Heaton's book, as demonstrated over six years, and show some class!!
You need to have a word with Zebedee.
This user liked this post: Dougall

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:43 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:It’s called being a professional and planning for your future while accepting a new challenge in the autumn years of his career. He wants ( like any keeper ) to be the undisputed No 1 and he’ll get that at Villa . Quite remarkable to see grown men bitching like stroppy selfish teenagers

How do you know he will be the undisputed number one at Villa?

I don’t understand why being practical about football is bitching like a stroppy teenager. If it’s not obvious to you, if he doesn’t play for Burnley, he doesn’t play for the team I support, he’s an ex player who did a great job whilst here, got rich doing it, was well looked after when he got injured, and now he’s gone.

It not the end of the world.

Stop crying my friend.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
It’s been some journey and I wish everyone connected with the club all the very best.

Thank you.

Tom Heaton
[/i][/b]
Tom, thanks for letting us share a little of your journey with the Clarets. Thanks, especially for staying with the Clarets through the second half of last season. All the best with your new Premier League team.

UTC
This user liked this post: holdyourfire

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Heathclaret wrote:Why?
Heathclaret wrote:Why?
Because ultimately you’re alluding to TH not showing loyalty. He’s been here for 6 yrs and been an absolute professional on and off the pitch . As far keepers go it’s unheard of for 3 of the best English keepers all vying for the same spot at club level and someone “ had to go” one way or another . He’s 34 next yr and moved to a big club where he’l get big wages and plenty to do and a whole new challenge . Had he waited another season he may very well have been yesterday’s man .

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I wasn’t alluding, I stated that there is no loyalty in football, except from the fan to the club.

I decided long ago that things beyond my control should not adversely effect my life. Tom Heaton, or any other player, leaving is not in my control. He may well have been a model professional, but he’s been g well paid for what he’s done and well looked after when he had a lengthy lay off.

He’s gone now, and he plays for an opponent. He’s happy with his move and I’m happy to have Pope, Hart and Peacock-Farrell fighting for the jersey.

I really don’t have a feeling of loss or animosity what I don’t agree with is the outpouring of sorrow over something of this nature, it’s just not that important.

All the best.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:43 pm

Some of the comments on here are just unbelievable, and i am now sure the board must have been infiltrated by ******* fans, a i cant beleive any true Claret has a bad word for Tom.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 850 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by jojomk1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:58 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Some of the comments on here are just unbelievable, and i am now sure the board must have been infiltrated by ******* fans, a i cant beleive any true Claret has a bad word for Tom.
I don't think any sane person has a bad word to say about Tom

But, for god's sake, cut the crap about this being the end of the world now he's gone

He had the chance to stay here and chose to go for more money (nothing else)

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 819 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:10 pm

jojomk1 wrote:I don't think any sane person has a bad word to say about Tom

But, for god's sake, cut the crap about this being the end of the world now he's gone

He had the chance to stay here and chose to go for more money (nothing else)
Jojomk1 could i ask how long you have been a Claret and what your earliest memory of watching Burnley, and thus a Burnley keeper is?

Heathclaret

Post by Heathclaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 pm

ClaretAL wrote:Jojomk1 could i ask how long you have been a Claret and what your earliest memory of watching Burnley, and thus a Burnley keeper is?

Are we measuring if we are proper fans now, because some of us aren’t going to mourn a player leaving?

Is it really necessary?

Perhaps we should accept that some of us are made of sterner stuff :D

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 pm

There isn't a better free transfer in the recent history of the club, the best keeper i have seen playing for Burnley.
As soon as Pope signed his four year deal, given the speculation surrounding him, i knew that was the end of Tom Heaton, Pope must have been given assurances about the number one spot.
Nick Pope had an outstanding season as our number one and fully deserves the chance to make Heaton the 2nd best keeper I've seen play for us...i think he will.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Villa had the price they were prepared to pay
We had our valuation
We negotiated to their price
We sold the best English goalkeeper to a rival at the price they wanted
We are utterly clueless in the transfer market
Best of luck to my favourite Claret

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:24 pm

some great comments, he was pure class in my view. I have never seen such a quick witted keeper anywhere.
We can all debate greatness, but he was genuinely a cut above.
As others too have mentioned, on and off the pitch he was an honest ambassador for this club as we could hope for.
Really sad to see his departure.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:29 am

I think Nick Pope showed the potential that he will far surpass Heatons level. I was more confident with Pope in the goal that we would grind a result out and the stats that season will back me up. Any news on his injury?

Nick Pope in the middle of our goal!