Gibson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Gibson

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Course it does. For example up against strikers running the channels a left footed player on the left side will be tackling with their strong foot. Put them on the right side they will need to tackle with their weaker foot. If you are used to playing both sides then you get used to your body shape and tackling being weighted on your weaker side but if you've only ever played on your strong side then actually switching sides positionally makes a difference.

Pretty much all other aspects of defending is mirrored so you are doing things with the opposite side of your body to what you are used. As said if through your development you play both sides then you get used to it but I think a lot of left sided players dont get this exposure
I don't see defenders struggling to tackle with a certain foot. In fact, if you're a naturally left sided player playing right back (for example), you can push a defender inside to match your stronger foot.

It works both ways.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:20 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I agree.

All it took for me was to realise I was standing on my left leg and with the umpteen hours I had free, started shooting with my left foot and crossing with it. Young players only need a tiny nudge - it's nothing like pressure.

And it works. Both of my nephews can pass and shoot with both feet. It's a massive advantage.
Spot on FF completely daft not to practice it.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Bosscat wrote:Its a different sport but there are a lot of left handed Cricketers about these days... My Brother was only commenting how a schoolteacher of his used to make him write right handed back in the late 50's ....

Thankfully people are allowed to use whichever hand is dominant now hence the split is almost 50/50 for left and right hand.

My mate was right footed and used to practise his left foot kicking etc all the time... Until he was almost as good with both till his bloody knees went and had to give up playing...
It's all that practising, not good for some people, at least that's what I used to say on cross-country at school
This user liked this post: Bosscat

The Sofa Shifter
Been Liked: 19 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by The Sofa Shifter » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 am

FactualFrank wrote:I agree.

All it took for me was to realise I was standing on my left leg and with the umpteen hours I had free, started shooting with my left foot and crossing with it. Young players only need a tiny nudge - it's nothing like pressure.

And it works. Both of my nephews can pass and shoot with both feet. It's a massive advantage.

Jesus Christ..... faster than Ronaldo, able to use both feet, and now coaching the future generations...... football is in the best of hands :lol: :lol: :lol:

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:30 am

I wouldn't be disappointed if Gibson started the season, but only if any Tarks money was reinvested in the midfield area.
This user liked this post: Cuts

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:41 am

Fancy professional players not being able to practice using their weaker foot, must be down to time constraints. What with working shifts, looking after the kids, maintaining the house, etc. Yeah, I can see how it must be difficult to fit it in!
This user liked this post: Bosscat

hoskinsgoalatswansea
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 228 times

Post by hoskinsgoalatswansea » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:36 am

As much as I like Ben Mee, I do wonder if Gibson is possibly the better footballer of the two. I’d like to see Gibson and Tarks for a sustained period but I’d be very surprised if Dyche doesn’t start with Mee on Saturday.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:42 am

hoskinsgoalatswansea wrote:As much as I like Ben Mee, I do wonder if Gibson is possibly the better footballer of the two. I’d like to see Gibson and Tarks for a sustained period but I’d be very surprised if Dyche doesn’t start with Mee on Saturday.
Definitely a better footballer than Mee overall, but Mee does the ugly stuff and will put his neck on the line.
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2568 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:10 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Fancy professional players not being able to practice using their weaker foot, must be down to time constraints. What with working shifts, looking after the kids, maintaining the house, etc. Yeah, I can see how it must be difficult to fit it in!

Fancy it's just not that important, and is something fans get hung up on?

Fancy it's balancing fatigue and freshness, and utilising the time to improve the important things, rather than the occasional things.

Fancy that.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:23 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Fancy professional players not being able to practice using their weaker foot, must be down to time constraints. What with working shifts, looking after the kids, maintaining the house, etc. Yeah, I can see how it must be difficult to fit it in!
Fancy somebody who has never been a professional footballer and probably can’t kick a ball with either foot being critical of a footballer who is that good he has been picked to play for England....
I love it when I hear some overweight bloke struggling to co-ordinate how to get the wrapper off his meat and potato pie point out that he can’t believe players aren’t two footed !
These 2 users liked this post: IWOODLOVETT Rick_Muller

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:48 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Fancy it's just not that important, and is something fans get hung up on?

Fancy it's balancing fatigue and freshness, and utilising the time to improve the important things, rather than the occasional things.

Fancy that.
I'm pleased that someone with the insight of a full time professional player is able to post. Perhaps you can expand a little more on the above, tell us what a bloke who spends all week on the training ground is so busy doing that he's no time to practice and improve on a weakness. Your detailed input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:57 pm

TVC15 wrote:Fancy somebody who has never been a professional footballer and probably can’t kick a ball with either foot being critical of a footballer who is that good he has been picked to play for England....
I love it when I hear some overweight bloke struggling to co-ordinate how to get the wrapper off his meat and potato pie point out that he can’t believe players aren’t two footed !
Fancy TVC15 posting bellendery of the highest order. Inserting into a post, a number of presumptions about someone they don't know.
Who is the overweight bloke who last made you 'love it' as above?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:15 pm

Have a look at any highlights reel of Maradona, and just count how many times he touches the ball with his right foot. One-footedness is no barrier to greatness...

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:19 pm

The Sofa Shifter wrote:Jesus Christ..... faster than Ronaldo, able to use both feet, and now coaching the future generations...... football is in the best of hands :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:21 pm

scouseclaret wrote:Have a look at any highlights reel of Maradona, and just count how many times he touches the ball with his right foot. One-footedness is no barrier to greatness...
could only use his left hand as well

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm

No Ney Never wrote:I'm pleased that someone with the insight of a full time professional player is able to post. Perhaps you can expand a little more on the above, tell us what a bloke who spends all week on the training ground is so busy doing that he's no time to practice and improve on a weakness. Your detailed input would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Fancy something so obvious not being important to people who are experts in their field? Imagine thinking it's just an oversight. Imagine that recovery from intense training sessions is way more important than training your wrong foot more than they already do. Imagine all the people, living life in peace, you hooooo ooooo.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:55 pm

No Ney Never wrote:Fancy TVC15 posting bellendery of the highest order. Inserting into a post, a number of presumptions about someone they don't know.
Who is the overweight bloke who last made you 'love it' as above?
I`m not presuming anything - all the presumptions (and bellendery) look like they are being made by you.
Don't you not think its a presumptuous (and stupid) thing to say that our footballers don't practice with their wrong foot or haven't improved with it ? What's this crap you are coming out with about the amount of time they have got on their hands ?

It`s pretty common for the majority of players to use one foot a lot more than the other - it doesn't mean that they are not better than most of the rest of us mere mortals with their other foot.
How many footballers do you see where you genuinely don't know which foot is their best one ? Why would you use your "less stronger" foot unless you really had no choice ? In the majority of situations they have a choice.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:32 pm

TVC15 wrote:I`m not presuming anything - all the presumptions (and bellendery) look like they are being made by you.
Don't you not think its a presumptuous (and stupid) thing to say that our footballers don't practice with their wrong foot or haven't improved with it ? What's this crap you are coming out with about the amount of time they have got on their hands ?

It`s pretty common for the majority of players to use one foot a lot more than the other - it doesn't mean that they are not better than most of the rest of us mere mortals with their other foot.
How many footballers do you see where you genuinely don't know which foot is their best one ? Why would you use your "less stronger" foot unless you really had no choice ? In the majority of situations they have a choice.
And an even more stupid reply from you. Clearly you're not mature enough to recognise sarcasm when you read it.

No Ney Never

Post by No Ney Never » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:33 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Fancy something so obvious not being important to people who are experts in their field? Imagine thinking it's just an oversight. Imagine that recovery from intense training sessions is way more important than training your wrong foot more than they already do. Imagine all the people, living life in peace, you hooooo ooooo.
As in the post above, you too are clearly not mature enough to recognise sarcasm when you read it.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:36 pm

No Ney Never wrote:And an even more stupid reply from you. Clearly you're not mature enough to recognise sarcasm when you read it.
Oh...ok...sarcasm...great well done. Funny how you keep on arguing the point....sarcastically of course.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:03 pm

Cahill can be the new Michael Duff!

dandeclaret

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:22 pm

No Ney Never wrote:As in the post above, you too are clearly not mature enough to recognise sarcasm when you read it.
You’re spot on.......

California Colner
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 112 times

Post by California Colner » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:27 pm

IanMcL wrote:Cahill can be the new Michael Duff!
Cahill is going to Palace 75K per week

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Yep. Just heard.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:58 pm

Newty wrote:I find the notion of two left footed center halves abhorrent. It's unnatural!! And basically just dirty.

Edit - and I'd like to add, this would see us relegated.
I'd just about come to terms with the vulgarity of two left footed centre halves when I realised they are both called Ben. This is beyond the pale and I shall be sending my season ticket back...when it arrives.

UTC!

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:It’s a strange one but you can always get away with two right footers but it doesn’t work with two lefts. Doesn’t matter further up the pitch but definitely does at the back.
Evidence please?

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Duffer_ wrote:I'd just about come to terms with the vulgarity of two left footed centre halves when I realised they are both called Ben. This is beyond the pale and I shall be sending my season ticket back...when it arrives.

UTC!
You're fine. We kept Tarks and so left footed Ben is just the back up for left footed Ben and all is right with the world once more.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:08 pm

deanothedino wrote:Evidence please?
?????????????????????

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:46 pm

ClaretTony wrote:?????????????????????
Evidence that 2 left footed CBs doesn't work?