Kalvin Phillips

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7175 times

Re: Kalvin Phillips

Post by Quicknick » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:21 am

Erasmus wrote:It does seem unlikely, but stranger things have happened. For a young player, Leeds probably look a better option than Burnley.
I think it probably is unlikely to happen, but I disagree with you regarding the second half of your statement.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 976 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:22 am

With promotion the ultimate goal, and following the start they made yesterday, it would be a very strange decision indeed for Leeds to sell one of their most influential players.

Far more likely that we offload Vydra to them anyway and try and pick up a midfielder elsewhere.
This user liked this post: rob63

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:23 am

Quicknick wrote:I think it probably is unlikely to happen, but I disagree with you regarding the second half of your statement.
I agree with the second half of your statement too. Burnley is the place to be if you want a nice sell on fee and move to a bigger club.
These 2 users liked this post: rob63 Quicknick

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1827 times
Has Liked: 3964 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:58 am

diamondpocket wrote: Looks like he's the young signing we need to replace Cork, give him 6 months/12 months to settle in and slowly bring him into the team ready for next season
Chances of him signing - very low.
Chances of him signing to sit on the bench - zero. (IMO of course).
(If he's going to wait till 20 / 21 for EPL experience then he might as well do it with Leeds or wait for a bigger club on a higher wage if Leeds fail to get promoted again.)

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:59 am

Knowing us we'd bin him into the U23s

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11027 times
Has Liked: 5642 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:48 pm

diamondpocket wrote:Not sure we do.
Lennon, JBG, Dwight, full backs bombing on, Brady, Jay at a push if played out wide, Westy through the middle. Our options for creativity are there, maybe you don't like them hence your statement but think SD will be counting on these for creativity.
Looks like he's the young signing we need to replace Cork, give him 6 months/12 months to settle in and slowly bring him into the team ready for next season
I just don't think we get enough goals from our central midfielders that's all

Genuine question as I don't know, how many goals did Cork, Westy, Hendrick get last season ?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I just don't think we get enough goals from our central midfielders that's all

Genuine question as I don't know, how many goals did Cork, Westy, Hendrick get last season ?
Not sure on last season but they have got 12 between them since they've been at the club.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32369 times
Has Liked: 5268 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:53 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:I just don't think we get enough goals from our central midfielders that's all
Unlikely to change given the way we play

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5209 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:54 pm

I'd say that's more to do with how Dyche sets up his team in a 4-4-2 rather than the creative quality of the players.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2564 times
Has Liked: 692 times

Post by Tall Paul » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:54 pm

Hendrick 3, Westwood 2, Cork 1 (PL goals only)
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Knowing us we'd bin him into the U23s
Does that suggest that you don't know us?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:59 pm

dsr wrote:Does that suggest that you don't know us?
Who's us?

dsr
Been Liked: 4569 times
Has Liked: 2259 times

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:15 pm

ClaretAndJew wrote:Who's us?
We's us. Stands to reason. :?

ClaretAndJew

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:19 pm

dsr wrote:We's us. Stands to reason. :?
I prefer to sit down

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:27 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Unlikely to change given the way we play
yeah but surely if we are after someone like Camarassa that would indicate a willingness (even if slight) to change the way we play in certain games ?

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:28 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Hendrick 3, Westwood 2, Cork 1 (PL goals only)
Cheers TP

to be fair Westwood should have scored at least 2 against Cardiff !

Jokes aside, the return isn't very good

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:07 pm

What I mean is that Kalvin Phillips will look at Burnley and see us as a club that is very likely to be relegated in the next year or so and then sink back into mid-Championship obscurity. He will look at Leeds and see a much bigger club that is very likely to be promoted in the next year or so and have a very good chance of staying in the Premier League and thriving there. I am not saying this is correct, but I think it is the way in which a lot of players see us. And this is one of the reasons we struggle to sign players of Premier League standard.

This will always be the case, but the great thing is that we keep on defying all the odds and out-performing the bigger clubs that have the odds stacked in their favour.
This user liked this post: creepingdeath

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:13 pm

Erasmus wrote:What I mean is that Kalvin Phillips will look at Burnley and see us as a club that is very likely to be relegated in the next year or so and then sink back into mid-Championship obscurity. He will look at Leeds and see a much bigger club that is very likely to be promoted in the next year or so and have a very good chance of staying in the Premier League and thriving there. I am not saying this is correct, but I think it is the way in which a lot of players see us. And this is one of the reasons we struggle to sign players of Premier League standard.

This will always be the case, but the great thing is that we keep on defying all the odds and out-performing the bigger clubs that have the odds stacked in their favour.
He could also see a club that are spending their 5th straight season in the Premier League; finished 7th the season before last and after Europa were a top 10 side. Plus his agent will see how players move on for profit.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2594 times
Has Liked: 301 times

Post by dandeclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:15 pm

Erasmus wrote:What I mean is that Kalvin Phillips will look at Burnley and see us as a club that is very likely to be relegated in the next year or so and then sink back into mid-Championship obscurity. He will look at Leeds and see a much bigger club that is very likely to be promoted in the next year or so and have a very good chance of staying in the Premier League and thriving there
What is this nonsense based on? Leeds have spent twice as long in the championship than Burnley have in the premiership since they were last in there. They can’t even get out of the league below, let alone thrive in the top division.

People often say Leeds are a bigger club....... just check which way the major transfers are going. Wood, Taylor, BPF and Vydra ( who chose Burnley over Leeds) last season all disagreed.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:27 pm

dandeclaret wrote:What is this nonsense based on? Leeds have spent twice as long in the championship than Burnley have in the premiership since they were last in there. They can’t even get out of the league below, let alone thrive in the top division.

People often say Leeds are a bigger club....... just check which way the major transfers are going. Wood, Taylor, BPF and Vydra ( who chose Burnley over Leeds) last season all disagreed.
Absolutely, Leeds are a feeder club these days and I don’t care how many fans they have or what trophies they won 30 years ago.

The Championship as a whole is a feeder league for the PL clubs to pick off the best talent, only a few Championship clubs down the years can really compete with PL clubs and very few would appear as a better alternative to Pl football (only 1 I can think of who would appear a more appealing project than some Pl clubs is the Wolves side last in the Championship).

claretspice
Been Liked: 2827 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:37 pm

If we're still pursuing Kalvin Philips at this stage in the transfer window, it's because we've got a steer that he's interested in the move and we don't think the deal is impossible to do with Leeds. I know it only broke in the press yesterday, but that doesn't mean that we haven't been working on this for quite some time behind closed doors - and in fact (presuming there's any truth in this) it's a near certainty that we have. We're not completely daft; we don't suddenly turn our attentions to ambitious potential signings of this nature at the eleventh hour.

If we do end up getting him, he's a good player. Not sure he's worth the mooted £25-30 million, but he's hugely promising.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:41 pm

claretspice wrote:If we're still pursuing Kalvin Philips at this stage in the transfer window, it's because we've got a steer that he's interested in the move and we don't think the deal is impossible to do with Leeds. I know it only broke in the press yesterday, but that doesn't mean that we haven't been working on this for quite some time behind closed doors - and in fact (presuming there's any truth in this) it's a near certainty that we have. We're not completely daft; we don't suddenly turn our attentions to ambitious potential signings of this nature at the eleventh hour.

If we do end up getting him, he's a good player. Not sure he's worth the mooted £25-30 million, but he's hugely promising.
It could mean that we're desperate though and he's just one of X that we're looking to, with only so many being leaked to the press. We've done deals before without a sniff from any rumour - it's just happened. So we could well be in for 10-15 players at the same time. You don't like hearsay, maybes and ifs and buts, but this looks like just that.

Fingers crossed something happens.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:46 pm

FactualFrank wrote:It could mean that we're desperate though and he's just one of X that we're looking to, with only so many being leaked to the press. We've done deals before without a sniff from any rumour - it's just happened. So we could well be in for 10-15 players at the same time. You don't like hearsay, maybes and ifs and buts, but this looks like just that.

Fingers crossed something happens.
Could be that we're desperate, yes. but it's highly unlikely that it is that. Vydra sort of just happened last season - but he was a plan B for Rodriguez; we pushed for that deal as long as we possibly could, and then switched to Vydra, who was a natural plan B - i.e. he was available, and the likely fee was realistic. Philips doesn't feel like a plan B signing - he's not really available, and the quoted fee is high.

But even in the case of Vydra, I imagine we'd registered our potential interest with his agent well before we gave up on Rodriguez and switched to him. I'm not sure very many transfers these days do just happen. That's why listening to the rumour mill is so unreliable - and as you quite rightly say, we could be working on any number of other potential deals right now, with the intention of only doing one.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3765 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Erasmus wrote:What I mean is that Kalvin Phillips will look at Burnley and see us as a club that is very likely to be relegated in the next year or so and then sink back into mid-Championship obscurity. He will look at Leeds and see a much bigger club that is very likely to be promoted in the next year or so and have a very good chance of staying in the Premier League and thriving there. I am not saying this is correct, but I think it is the way in which a lot of players see us. And this is one of the reasons we struggle to sign players of Premier League standard.

Leeds have been ‘very likely to get promoted in the next year or so’ ever since they went down which, lest we forget, is over 15 years ago now.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:57 pm

claretspice wrote:Could be that we're desperate, yes. but it's highly unlikely that it is that. Vydra sort of just happened last season - but he was a plan B for Rodriguez; we pushed for that deal as long as we possibly could, and then switched to Vydra, who was a natural plan B - i.e. he was available, and the likely fee was realistic. Philips doesn't feel like a plan B signing - he's not really available, and the quoted fee is high.

But even in the case of Vydra, I imagine we'd registered our potential interest with his agent well before we gave up on Rodriguez and switched to him. I'm not sure very many transfers these days do just happen. That's why listening to the rumour mill is so unreliable - and as you quite rightly say, we could be working on any number of other potential deals right now, with the intention of only doing one.
I agree with what you say, we all love the rumour mill. However, you can take Andre Gray as a prime example - signed out of nowhere so sure, we could still end up signing someone with hours/days to spare. We need to.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I agree with what you say, we all love the rumour mill. However, you can take Andre Gray as a prime example - signed out of nowhere so sure, we could still end up signing someone with hours/days to spare. We need to.
Yep - and that's a great example. Never made into the press until the 11th hour, but the deal had been under negotiation for weeks beforehand. My guess is that - if Nixon's link has any substance - the Philips thing has been going on for some time on the same basis. And I'm sure there are other targets out there that we don't know about too.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 921 times
Has Liked: 2751 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:02 pm

claretspice wrote:If we're still pursuing Kalvin Philips at this stage in the transfer window, it's because we've got a steer that he's interested in the move and we don't think the deal is impossible to do with Leeds. I know it only broke in the press yesterday, but that doesn't mean that we haven't been working on this for quite some time behind closed doors - and in fact (presuming there's any truth in this) it's a near certainty that we have. We're not completely daft; we don't suddenly turn our attentions to ambitious potential signings of this nature at the eleventh hour.

Bielsa quoted as saying there 'could' be a big name departure from Leeds.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3337 times
Has Liked: 1954 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Doubtful we’ve been in talks for weeks.
Little benefit for Leeds to keep it quiet. If they are willing to sell they’d want the highest price possible.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:06 pm

claretspice wrote:Yep - and that's a great example. Never made into the press until the 11th hour, but the deal had been under negotiation for weeks beforehand. My guess is that - if Nixon's link has any substance - the Philips thing has been going on for some time on the same basis. And I'm sure there are other targets out there that we don't know about too.
Ah that's fair enough, wasn't aware the Gray deal was going on for so long, thought that was a last minute grab and sign sort of thing.

What does surprise me though is that if the Phillips deal has been going on, why they've started him. An injury and the whole deal breaks down.
This user liked this post: hoskinsgoalatswansea

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 pm

If a player is choosing between ourselves and Leeds then in the vast majority of cases it’s going to be us every time.
Leeds have a massive chance of going up this year - they did last year too and look what happened then.
Even if you have been brought up through the youth system and it’s your boyhood club if an offer comes in from a Premier League club then the numbers can be life changing and set you up for life.
The risk of staying at Leeds and not going up again, or getting injured or the club trying to buy you getting their manager sacked and no longer wanting you etc etc is too much for 99% of players to say no now.
If we don’t get Phillips I doubt the reason will be that the player does not want to come - it will be more likely a case of Leeds wanting too much or his agents demands etc.

Back in the day the difference between staying in 2nd division and going to a lower first division club will have been a fraction of the difference today - which on a deal like this could easily be a difference of £20m over the length of the contract in terms of what we can pay and Leeds can if we remain in the current divisions.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

DCWat
Been Liked: 4139 times
Has Liked: 3603 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:26 pm

I’d be surprised if this does happen, but very pleased.

Someone able to break up play and then play accurate balls out to either flank could really ease some pressure and set us on the front foot. We’ve had a tendency to utilise our centre halves for that, perhaps more than we should.
These 3 users liked this post: FactualFrank tiger76 Stayingup

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:35 pm

At this rate we be lucky to sign Emo Philips , now he was one annoying bar steward

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:38 pm

joey13 wrote:At this rate we be lucky to sign Emo Philips , now he was one annoying bar steward
More chance of buying a Phillips screwdriver than completing this signing.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Murger wrote:More chance of buying a Phillips screwdriver than completing this signing.
Left handed or right?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 pm

Murger wrote:More chance of buying a Phillips screwdriver than completing this signing.
I think it's fair to say that a lot of people are feeling pretty negative at present about possible incoming transfers :o :shock: :?

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:51 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Left handed or right?
Pretty obvious right handed as better re sale value, however as there being less lefties out there one of them might fetch a better price..... ;)

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:53 pm

Firthy wrote:I think it's fair to say that a lot of people are feeling pretty negative at present about possible incoming transfers :o :shock: :?
Forsooth. But hardly surprised. We suck at transfers.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:54 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Pretty obvious right handed as better re sale value, however as there being less lefties out there one of them might fetch a better price..... ;)
That's a disgusting thing to post and wait until they see it.

:lol:

MrMeeseeks
Been Liked: 32 times

Post by MrMeeseeks » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:55 pm

Think some people are getting carried away with Leeds. They’ll go back to being mid-table fodder when Bielsa ditches them.

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:56 pm

FactualFrank wrote:That's a disgusting thing to post and wait until they see it.

:lol:
Aye, Turtle and Jeremy will be knaffed off :o
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Bosscat

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:59 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Aye, Turtle and Jeremy will be knaffed off :o
I'll wait until cleverer people see it.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

CnBtruntru

Post by CnBtruntru » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:10 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I'll wait until cleverer people see it.
Very naughty

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:12 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:Very naughty
But factual ;)
This user liked this post: CnBtruntru

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:16 pm

Our central midfielders main duty, is to stem the flow.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:31 pm

IanMcL wrote:Our central midfielders main duty, is to stem the flow.
Or create it.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 pm

IanMcL wrote:Our central midfielders main duty, is to stem the flow.
I love your use, of inappropriate commas.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 pm

Somehow doubt very much that we'll get Phillips or that we've been interested
in him for a while.
It seems as if he's an integral part of the Leeds team and at 25m plus just can't
see us paying out that sort of money even though we might be able to offer
him more money than he's getting at Leeds.

We seem to be connected with a few other players at present but in competition
with other clubs and we're not normally successful if competing with other clubs
especially if they're from the Premiership.

Would be surprised and disappointed if we didn't get someone in before Thursday
especially in midfield and hope we don't lose Tarkowski to Leicester.
That would be a serious blow.

Safron
Been Liked: 226 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Safron » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:40 pm

Ssn reporting we are challenging palace for camarissa

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2001 times
Has Liked: 3331 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:42 pm