Bag search point at yesterday's game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Sean Dyche's Watch
Been Liked: 233 times

Bag search point at yesterday's game

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:55 pm

I walked down the lane down the side of the cricket field yesterday, and noticed a table positioned at the end of the lane with a card saying 'bag search' on it. One steward was looking out for people with bags and asking them to come over to the desk for another steward to check their bags. At the turnstiles the same people were being asked to have their bags searched again.

I wonder if this double checking of bags is going to be a regular thing this season?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Bag search point at yesterday's game

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Seems fair enough. Anybody trying to save a few quid by sneaking a Twix in deserves to be refused admission...

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:49 pm

I’ve no problems with bag searches but there should have been some consultation from the club prior to changing the policy.
This user liked this post: Barry_Chuckle

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Absolutely nothing against it, I’ve never been one of those that is wound up at airport security or a sporting event. I really can’t be arsed being blown up

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:00 pm

And thats why I don't bring the Mrs to Football......

;) ;) ;)
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:01 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:Absolutely nothing against it, I’ve never been one of those that is wound up at airport security or a sporting event. I really can’t be arsed being blown up
Would be bloody inconvenient wouldnt it?

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:18 pm

ZizkovClaret wrote:Would be bloody inconvenient wouldnt it?
Probably ruin my day if I’m honest
These 2 users liked this post: ZizkovClaret longsidepies

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:53 pm

It was all pretty straightforward and they put a band on the bag so when I came to enter the ground, the steward by the turnstile knew it had already been checked. It took up about 60 seconds of my day, no inconvenience and sadly it’s where we’re at now in this day and age.

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

90% wont have a bag so not much of a hold up

Sniffer dogs on the other hand would have a field day haha

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:01 pm

My bag was checked last season (one of the European matches) a can of coke had to be binned or drunk. Apparently it could have been used as a weapon if thrown. Seems a bit petty given you can buy a bottle of coke inside and throw that. But it’s fine.

If I was going to throw anything it would be one of the scorching hot cheese pies. :lol:

BobHaidong
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by BobHaidong » Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:36 pm

No problem with bag searches.

My problem is making sure they check the age of the person they are checking. Numerous times previously my daughter has had her bag searched without them even asking for her age. Yes she was 17 and could easily pass as 18 but they should be checking so that their responsible adult can witness the search.

My son on the other hand was 14 during last season and would never in a million years pass as 18.still I have seen stewards ask to search him whilst I've been in a queue at a different turnstile. Not acceptable. I've told him to refuse unless I'm with him, which is 99% of the time.

Think some training needs to be done.
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 pm

It's ok on a friendly with a sparse crowd, but I'm willing to bet things get a bit tense at 14:50 next Saturday.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:58 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:My bag was checked last season (one of the European matches) a can of coke had to be binned or drunk. Apparently it could have been used as a weapon if thrown. Seems a bit petty given you can buy a bottle of coke inside and throw that. But it’s fine.

If I was going to throw anything it would be one of the scorching hot cheese pies. :lol:
It's a criminal offence to carry a can of drink into a football ground, so blame the government not the stewards for that one. (You can twist a can in half and make a serviceable knife. You can't do that with a plastic bottle. You'd get the same result if you tried to take a glass bottle into the ground, but you'd be OK with plastic.)

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:01 pm

BobHaidong wrote:No problem with bag searches.

My problem is making sure they check the age of the person they are checking. Numerous times previously my daughter has had her bag searched without them even asking for her age. Yes she was 17 and could easily pass as 18 but they should be checking so that their responsible adult can witness the search.

My son on the other hand was 14 during last season and would never in a million years pass as 18.still I have seen stewards ask to search him whilst I've been in a queue at a different turnstile. Not acceptable. I've told him to refuse unless I'm with him, which is 99% of the time.

If he isn't fit to go through a turnstile on his own, with all the related stuff such as searches, then you shouldn't let him go through a turnstile on his own. It shouldn't really be the stewards' job to look after unaccompanied children.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Granny WeatherWax
Been Liked: 711 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by Granny WeatherWax » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:06 pm

BobHaidong wrote:No problem with bag searches.

Here son here’s a bomb, now remember you’re only 14 so refused to be searched.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:08 pm

dsr wrote:If he isn't fit to go through a turnstile on his own, with all the related stuff such as searches, then you shouldn't let him go through a turnstile on his own. It shouldn't really be the stewards' job to look after unaccompanied children.
He just said he’s with him 99% of the time ......

Just because 1% of the time a 14 year old isn’t accompanied, doesn’t mean security should break protocol and search alone.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:10 pm

Only time I have been narked at airport security was when they opened up my hand luggage bag and handed it to about 3 people ahead of me in the queue opened before O got to that point and then said “did you pack it? Has anybody had contact with it since you did? can we check it?”

‘Apart from you opening it and the 3 other people you’ve handed it to open..... no nobodies had contact with it but me’

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:17 pm

dougcollins wrote:It's ok on a friendly with a sparse crowd, but I'm willing to bet things get a bit tense at 14:50 next Saturday.
We’ve got used to it now at away games and the simple answer is that you are likely to miss kick off if you arrive 10 mins before kick off.

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:18 pm

Something like this is just the norm and I am all for it, I don't like explosives much

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 pm

bfccrazy wrote:He just said he’s with him 99% of the time ......

Just because 1% of the time a 14 year old isn’t accompanied, doesn’t mean security should break protocol and search alone.
If for whatever reason the child isn't old enough to be alone - and the possibility of being searched is one of those - then it has to be 100% of the time. In circumstances like this, if a 'situation' is caused by a child going through a different turnstile to Dad, then Dad shouldn't allow it full stop. Then there would be no need to blame the stewards.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:15 pm

dsr wrote:If for whatever reason the child isn't old enough to be alone - and the possibility of being searched is one of those - then it has to be 100% of the time. In circumstances like this, if a 'situation' is caused by a child going through a different turnstile to Dad, then Dad shouldn't allow it full stop. Then there would be no need to blame the stewards.
So it’s the parents fault that a steward doesn’t follow the rules/protocols in place for these situations if/when they do occur :? Haha

Burnley1989

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 pm

Why should age matter? I’ve had security pull my daughters dolls head off before because the scanner flagged something inside it, did I complain? No because In the grand scheme it doesn’t matter

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:21 pm

Bosscat wrote:And thats why I don't bring the Mrs to Football......

;) ;) ;)
They Don't seem to Bother with the Old Bags...

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:22 pm

dsr wrote:It's a criminal offence to carry a can of drink into a football ground, so blame the government not the stewards for that one. (You can twist a can in half and make a serviceable knife. You can't do that with a plastic bottle. You'd get the same result if you tried to take a glass bottle into the ground, but you'd be OK with plastic.)
Went to Rangers in the pre season friendly a couple of seasons ago.
I was carrying a 500ml bottle of water. 1st they told me to remove the top and they kept that.
As I was walking to my seat right up at the back the Steward told me he would have to take it off me as it was classed as a weapon !!!!! .
Although he did go to the bar bring back a plastic glass and made me pour out the bottle and hand over the offending item.

Needless to say I asked him why and he just shrugged and told us it was policy and he couldn't understand it which was fair enough... at no time were they intimidating about it just doing their jobs......

Unlike the time I was pulled out of a queue at turnstile 39 at Turf Moor JHU by a 5'3" jobsworth who wanted to go through the pocket of my big coat due to .... he said (and I kid you not) because it was an un-natural bulge.

I explained they are my thinsulate gloves (it was a cool day with the threat of getting colder)
He pulled out my gloves. .......

I gave him a rather withering look as I turned to the Turnstile, and next thing I was dragged back out of the queue by same 5'3" jobsworth ... and when I asked what now he said (and I kid you not) "Because I had looked at him" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Needless to say I was not best pleased so I asked to speak to his superior .... at that he told me to go in......

Upstairs on the concourse all the people I normally talk to were laughing about it.

Spider and his Mrs still joke about the "Gloves of Doom" whenever I see them on the ground :lol:

Havent seen said 5'3" jobsworth since maybe he got a promotion for being diligent and an expert Glove spotter

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:24 pm

bfccrazy wrote:So it’s the parents fault that a steward doesn’t follow the rules/protocols in place for these situations if/when they do occur :? Haha
I believe the rule is that unaccompanied children aren't allowed. Isn't it? i know 11 year olds aren't allowed to be more than arm's length from a responsible adult, which seems a bit extreme.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Bosscat wrote:Went to Rangers in the pre season friendly a couple of seasons ago.
I was carrying a 500ml bottle of water. 1st they told me to remove the top and they kept that.
As I was walking to my seat right up at the back the Steward told me he would have to take it off me as it was classed as a weapon !!!!! .
Although he did go to the bar bring back a plastic glass and made me pour out the bottle and hand over the offending item.

Needless to say I asked him why and he just shrugged and told us it was policy and he couldn't understand it which was fair enough... at no time were they intimidating about it just doing their jobs......

Unlike the time I was pulled out of a queue at turnstile 39 at Turf Moor JHU by a 5'3" jobsworth who wanted to go through the pocket of my big coat due to .... he said (and I kid you not) because it was an un-natural bulge.

I explained they are my thinsulate gloves (it was a cool day with the threat of getting colder)
He pulled out my gloves. .......

I gave him a rather withering look as I turned to the Turnstile, and next thing I was dragged back out of the queue by same 5'3" jobsworth ... and when I asked what now he said (and I kid you not) "Because I had looked at him" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Needless to say I was not best pleased so I asked to speak to his superior .... at that he told me to go in......

Upstairs on the concourse all the people I normally talk to were laughing about it.

Spider and his Mrs still joke about the "Gloves of Doom" whenever I see them on the ground :lol:

Havent seen said 5'3" jobsworth since maybe he got a promotion for being diligent and an expert Glove spotter
When the new rules came in about not being able to take a beer up to your seat I was sat in the JHU and didn’t know about it. Walked past the steward on the way to my seat at the top of the stand with a bottle of beer in my hand and then 15 mins later 2 coppers and the 2 stewards (one was the same steward) came and removed me from the match because camera had caught me having a drink :lol: they could have just took the bottle off me or told me to go back down into the concourse to finish it.

The mind boggles.

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:30 pm

dsr wrote:I believe the rule is that unaccompanied children aren't allowed. Isn't it? i know 11 year olds aren't allowed to be more than arm's length from a responsible adult, which seems a bit extreme.
A few people got upset near us when their kids weren’t allowed to go to the toilet alone during the game which I thought was a bit of an odd thing to be upset about as there’s always the chance of some reprobate lurking in the loos (you’d hope there wouldn’t be but I’m losing faith in people these days). But a 14 year old lad going to the turf with his mates isn’t against any rules (as far as I know) but searching them with no supervision is - I’d argue it’s protecting the steward more as some kid could say “he/she touched me up” ... they’d have a witness there to supervise them though.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:31 pm

bfccrazy wrote:When the new rules came in about not being able to take a beer up to your seat I was sat in the JHU and didn’t know about it. Walked past the steward on the way to my seat at the top of the stand with a bottle of beer in my hand and then 15 mins later 2 coppers and the 2 stewards (one was the same steward) came and removed me from the match because camera had caught me having a drink :lol: they could have just took the bottle off me or told me to go back down into the concourse to finish it.

The mind boggles.
It's pot luck who you get. I had a can of pop with me at Carlisle soon after the can ban came in, and a policeman saw me with it and allowed me to finish the drink before taking it off me and disposing of it.

Sometimes the officials don't realise that giving people the chance to co-operate, especially with new rules, is the easiest (and fairest) way.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:32 pm

dsr wrote:I believe the rule is that unaccompanied children aren't allowed. Isn't it? i know 11 year olds aren't allowed to be more than arm's length from a responsible adult, which seems a bit extreme.
Went to the Elland Road away game about 15 years ago, and the kids had to in through a different turnstile to the parents...
One bloke was going ballistic as the stewards took his lad out of the queue from him ushering the now crying 10 year old to a seperate queue...

I don't think it would happen now but ...
Last edited by Bosscat on Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Can anyone confirm whether or not I am allowed to take a small plastic bottle of Pepsi( other brands are available) through the turnstile.

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 pm

bfccrazy wrote:A few people got upset near us when their kids weren’t allowed to go to the toilet alone during the game which I thought was a bit of an odd thing to be upset about as there’s always the chance of some reprobate lurking in the loos (you’d hope there wouldn’t be but I’m losing faith in people these days). But a 14 year old lad going to the turf with his mates isn’t against any rules (as far as I know) but searching them with no supervision is - I’d argue it’s protecting the steward more as some kid could say “he/she touched me up” ... they’d have a witness there to supervise them though.
I dare say it is protecting the steward. But if the rule is that all customers are subject to search, and there is also a rule that unaccompanied children can't be searched, then there is de facto a rule that unaccompanied children can't come. There's no way round it.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 pm

karatekid wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not I am allowed to take a small plastic bottle of Pepsi( other brands are available) through the turnstile.
I carry a bottle of water through in warm weather and a small flask of coffe in cold weather no problem at Turf Moor......

It says on the board outside 500ml plastic bottles are allowed
This user liked this post: karatekid

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:34 pm

Bosscat wrote:Went to the Elland Road away game about 15 years ago, and the kids had to in through a different turnstile to the parents...
One bloke was going ballistic as the stewards took his lad out of the queue from him ushering the now crying 10 year old to a seperate queue...

Many places (eg. rugby grounds, racecourses) still have separate cash turnstiles for children and pensioners. Presumably they either don't search,or search before you get to the turnstile. Must be potentially problematic, though.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:37 pm

bfccrazy wrote:A few people got upset near us when their kids weren’t allowed to go to the toilet alone during the game which I thought was a bit of an odd thing to be upset about as there’s always the chance of some reprobate lurking in the loos (you’d hope there wouldn’t be but I’m losing faith in people these days). But a 14 year old lad going to the turf with his mates isn’t against any rules (as far as I know) but searching them with no supervision is - I’d argue it’s protecting the steward more as some kid could say “he/she touched me up” ... they’d have a witness there to supervise them though.
Genuine question here cos I dont know the answer. I can imagine body searches for minors without a present adult would likely be agains the rules/law/protocol but is there really the same regs/laws for a bag search as this is what we are discussing.

Im not on any side of the debate but just interested as whilst the business might put there own rules in to safegaurd minors and security im not convinced there is anything illegal with a bag search for a minor nor am I aware of any specific Burnley FC protocol
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:39 pm

No way, no clucking way. There is no ckuckin way them clukers are searching my bags, if they try I shall tell them to cluck off

bfccrazy

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:40 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:Genuine question here cos I dont know the answer. I can imagine body searches for minors without a present adult would likely be agains the rules/law/protocol but is there really the same regs/laws for a bag search as this is what we are discussing.

Im not on any side of the debate but just interested as whilst the business might put there own rules in to safegaurd minors and security im not convinced there is anything illegal with a bag search for a minor nor am I aware of any specific Burnley FC protocol
I don’t think there are any different rules for bags I doubt you could molest a bag or would want to as a steward in front of fans queueing to get into a game (I’m not an expert mind) ... I think the poster above was talking about pat down/body searches by stewards.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:42 pm

bfccrazy wrote:I don’t think there are any different rules for bags (I’m not an expert mind) ... I think the poster above was talking about pat down/body searches by stewards.
ok fair enough. Pat downs I totally get just thought the discussion was more around bag searches which seems a bit greyer though its not an area I have any knowledge in

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:50 pm

dsr wrote:Many places (eg. rugby grounds, racecourses) still have separate cash turnstiles for children and pensioners. Presumably they either don't search,or search before you get to the turnstile. Must be potentially problematic, though.
I know what you mean ... but as we all know the concourses at a lot of football grounds are jam packed, and if I was taking a minor to a crowded match like that I would want him/her with me at all time.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:56 pm

karatekid wrote:Can anyone confirm whether or not I am allowed to take a small plastic bottle of Pepsi( other brands are available) through the turnstile.
Yeah you can but in the CF stand they sometimes try and take the lid off you.

I take a spare lid with me just in case.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:02 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Yeah you can but in the CF stand they sometimes try and take the lid off you.

I take a spare lid with me just in case.
I have one of those Burnley FC plastic bottles of water (I refill it from the tap at home ... yeah I am that tight :lol:) its on its 4th lid :lol: always carry a spare top (just in case ;))

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Bosscat wrote:Went to the Elland Road away game about 15 years ago, and the kids had to in through a different turnstile to the parents...

When I first started going on it was separate turnstiles for adults & juveniles.
Many a time I was inside by myself waiting for my dad to get in
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Sean Dyche's Watch

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:38 pm

No, you can't, according to this: https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/fan ... rs-guides/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also note that you can't take large umbrellas into the ground, but there were plenty of people doing so last Tuesday evening without being challenged.
Last edited by Sean Dyche's Watch on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm

You can’t. You can take in clear plastic bottles up to 500ml but not with dark liquid in them.

Sean Dyche's Watch

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You can’t. You can take in clear plastic bottles up to 500ml but not with dark liquid in them.
This would probably include flasks.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm

It wouldn’t be so bad at away games if the people doing it would exercise some discretion but they never do in my experience.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 pm

ClaretTony wrote:You can’t. You can take in clear plastic bottles up to 500ml but not with dark liquid in them.
So, that's yes to 500ml of hydrofluoric acid. No to 400ml of Pepsi.

uni_queue
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by uni_queue » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Sean Dyche's Watch wrote:This would probably include flasks.
It might, but since these signs were put up last season, I have had my flask inspected a couple of times and been let in - and taken it in to the ground for all the other matches.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 pm

thatdberight wrote:So, that's yes to 500ml of hydrofluoric acid. No to 400ml of Pepsi.
If you’re contemplating taking hydrofluoric acid in make sure you put it into a clear glass bottle rather than a plastic one, that way you have more chance of entry, and will guarantee your exit by ambulance.

jjclaret
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by jjclaret » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:48 pm

I think that Sean Dyche's Watch (OP) was making the point that being stopped at two "search points" was OTT and unnecessary.
So do I, if only on the basis that after the first search there would be nothing to prevent items being removed or inserted from/into the bag, thus, from a security point of view, making the first search pointless.

Sean Dyche's Watch

Post by Sean Dyche's Watch » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:29 pm

jjclaret wrote:I think that Sean Dyche's Watch (OP) was making the point that being stopped at two "search points" was OTT and unnecessary.
So do I, if only on the basis that after the first search there would be nothing to prevent items being removed or inserted from/into the bag, thus, from a security point of view, making the first search pointless.
Thanks jjclaret, I was wondering when someone would get the point I was making. I've no issues with having a bag searched once, but to be asked again two minutes later seemed pointless to me. It was as if the steward at the turnstile didn't know that bags were being searched prior to getting to the turnstile.