Chelsea apologise over sexual abuse

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Chelsea apologise over sexual abuse

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:25 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49251891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ClaretTony

Re: Chelsea apologise over sexual abuse

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:58 pm

Taken from the report:

“Mr Gradi is the single example of a clear account of an adult in a position of responsibility being informed about an allegation in relation to Mr Heath,” Geekie’s 252-page report states. “The complaint … was not referred to more senior members of the club and an opportunity to prevent Mr Heath from going on to abuse others was lost.

“The very purpose of this review is to shine a light on matters such as this. The events involving Mr Gradi are central to the purpose of this review. There is, I consider, a significant public interest in matters such as this being brought fully and openly into view. I consider it absolutely necessary . . . to name Mr Gradi.”

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5520 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Seems to be a common factor between Chelsea and Crewe.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Report I’ve taken it from at

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... at-chelsea" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:05 pm

Dario Gradi is clearly not coming out of any of these investigations very well. He clearly needs to explain his actions, or inactions, or surely he will end up being at the wrong end of some accusations himself.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:17 pm

Gradi has been at the wrong end of some accusations for decades. It's becoming more public now.

Chelsea ......they call us anti-football.

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:32 pm

NL Claret wrote:Gradi has been at the wrong end of some accusations for decades. It's becoming more public now.

Chelsea ......they call us anti-football.
Very ironic seeing as they've had more than their share of Uncle Ernie's.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Gradi is a very nasty human being. Allegations like this have been around for 25 years plus and whispered about.

Have a friend whose dad is well up at Crewe and has been for many years and he said he has accrues millions and millions out of them. He used to have a deal in place where when any player from the academy was sold he would recieve 25% of the fee. At one point when they were nearing bankruptcy he was threatening court action against them as they had missed a payment to him. If ever a club is ruled by one man then Crewe is that club

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:54 pm

This from the club that kept Graham Rix's coaching job for him whilst he served time for sleeping with a minor. Also I dont think the club have ever apologised for all the youth players that racially abused by him

Despicable club

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:This from the club that kept Graham Rix's coaching job for him whilst he served time for sleeping with a minor. Also I dont think the club have ever apologised for all the youth players that racially abused by him

Despicable club
Chelsea have, in all fairness, instigated and progressed this independent review and have issued apologies. They are going to be paying compensation and Man City have done likewise. Not sure what else the current day clubs can do.

I know Crewe are not in the same position as those other two clubs but to refuse to carry out a previously promised investigation is shameful.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:03 pm

That horrible club seems to be going through some kind of apology check list before the season starts.
I suppose it’s a cheap way of communicating - just send out the same apology and replace sexual abuse with racism....
....tomorrow it will be the turn of the apology letter for sexism on the way they treated the female doctor rounding off on Friday with an apology for twatism for employing Mourinho (twice).

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:06 pm

TVC15 wrote:That horrible club seems to be going through some kind of apology check list before the season starts.
I suppose it’s a cheap way of communicating - just send out the same apology and replace sexual abuse with racism....
....tomorrow it will be the turn of the apology letter for sexism on the way they treated the female doctor rounding off on Friday with an apology for twatism for employing Mourinho (twice).
I’d try reading the report if I were you and I think they should be applauded for their actions.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:11 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Chelsea have, in all fairness, instigated and progressed this independent review and have issued apologies. They are going to be paying compensation and Man City have done likewise. Not sure what else the current day clubs can do.

I know Crewe are not in the same position as those other two clubs but to refuse to carry out a previously promised investigation is shameful.
Not in disagreement with you regards what current clubs can do. But in Chelsea's case it was only yesterday or the day before that they apologised to the female physio (eva?) that Mourinho castigated and pushed out of the club. That must have been 5 years ago now so obviously the club are still operating in the same way as they have always. Which is if you are in a position of power do what you want and we will defend you.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I’d try reading the report if I were you and I think they should be applauded for their actions.
I’ve read the report and yes they should be applauded for their actions I agree.
But it’s come a little too late in my view and their apology for yet another racist incident by their fans is pretty meaningless.
I was being sarcastic about them apologising for their appalling treatment in dismissing the female physio and I am surprised if they have done that - I wasn’t aware. The cynical part of me says they have done that so late so they don’t have to pay compensation

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:15 pm

TVC15 wrote:I’ve read the report and yes they should be applauded for their actions I agree.
But it’s come a little too late in my view and their apology for yet another racist incident by their fans is pretty meaningless.
I was being sarcastic about them apologising for their appalling treatment in dismissing their doctor as I know they will never do this as it would cost them a fortune in court.
A lot of that report could not have come sooner. They commissioned it very quickly after gathering information. I don’t like Chelsea, I think they are a distasteful club, but they have been excellent with this.

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I’d try reading the report if I were you and I think they should be applauded for their actions.
You have read the 250 page report?

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:28 pm

Also from reading Chelsea's statement they are publishing the full report. Would this be because it happened so long ago and no one really has any links with the club still so its easy to say well lets move on, pay out a few people and brush it under the carpet. Yet the Barnardos report which has been carried out in the last 2 years is not being published as

"In 2017, the club appointed Barnardo’s to carry out a review of its current safeguarding culture and processes. As the report includes sensitive live safeguarding information, it cannot be published in full. We are, however, today, publishing an executive summary.

We are pleased that Barnardo’s identified a healthy culture where young people are encouraged to speak up and are heard, and a culture that bears no resemblance to the one that existed more than thirty years ago. However, Barnardo’s full report made a number of recommendations for further improvement, all of which are being implemented by the Club."

To me that sounds like we still have several issues but wont reveal them but will tell you about what we marked high on

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:31 pm

It is difficult when it is so long ago. One thing I did find disturbing was the refusal of Geoff Hurst, then the manager, to co-operate.

I know Burnley carried out a thorough internal review following the exposure of all the sexual abuse. Thankfully there was nothing exposed.